Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Angry Joe reviews ESO Beta

Comments

• SuperNickSuperNick Member UncommonPosts: 460
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    Originally posted by SuperNick

Didn't he basically spend the rest of the time complaining about the sub model? So, he would like the game itself if it didn't have a sub. Since it has a sub, it's a bad game.

Sounds legit.

There is difference between saying this game is bad and should be F2P and the game isn't up to that level where company can demand 15 bucks a month.

What Joe said falls in later category. If you just want to focus on the negatives sure it helps your agenda but he did say a lot of good things about the game too. And he is not the only one who feels game isn't upto the quality of demanding 15 bucks a month..atleast not yet.

The point is it's subjective. I've seen people with little checklists so big that no game will EVER match that quality you speak of.

What I took from him and a lot of others is "I want to play the game but I don't want to have to pay for it".

If you enjoy the game, get regular content updates and they work on improving the stuff that isn't so hot; surely that's enough to justify a sub? It seems for some that isn't even close to justification anymore.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

Didn't he basically spend the rest of the time complaining about the sub model? So, he would like the game itself if it didn't have a sub. Since it has a sub, it's a bad game.

Sounds legit.

There is difference between saying this game is bad and should be F2P and the game isn't up to that level where company can demand 15 bucks a month.

What Joe said falls in later category. If you just want to focus on the negatives sure it helps your agenda but he did say a lot of good things about the game too. And he is not the only one who feels game isn't upto the quality of demanding 15 bucks a month..atleast not yet.

The point is it's subjective. I've seen people with little checklists so big that no game will EVER match that quality you speak of.

What I took from him and a lot of others is "I want to play the game but I don't want to have to pay for it".

If you enjoy the game, get regular content updates and they work on improving the stuff that isn't so hot; surely that's enough to justify a sub? It seems for some that isn't even close to justification anymore.

It might be subjective but it has huge impact on games at release. You just can not get away with minimal content at release these days when other MMOS have years over you. Ofcourse you can not release with 8 or 10 years worth of content but ESO doesn't even have enough content to keep you busy past the first month. Its simple. Game companies need to justify the 15 bucks a month these days because competition is huge and players would simply walk away and play some other MMOS sine they ave lot of games to choose from. it is not the players loss in any way. And i believe majority of players have learned not to believe empty promises regarding what may or may not happen in future.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• amber-ramber-r Member Posts: 323

Sounds legit.

I don't understand how a man as rich as Angry joe always complains about sub model titles.

• DamediusDamedius Member Posts: 346
    Originally posted by amber-r

Sounds legit.

I don't understand how a many as rich as Angry joe always complains about sub model titles.

He knows what his viewers want to hear.

• DrSmaShDrSmaSh Member UncommonPosts: 454

Sounds legit.

I don't understand how a many as rich as Angry joe always complains about sub model titles.

I don't understand how people think it's all about the money. It is not. It doesn't matter if you are poor or rich, if you can't afford 15€ a month than you have bigger problems in life to worry about.

It's not about "Oh gosh, I don't have 15€", but it's more like "I'm not supporting this crap with my money, it's not worth it!"

As in, voting with your wallet, because that's the only thing you can do as a customer. If millions of people sub to this game, than they are the reason why we keep getting shit served to us. I for one do not approve nor support mediocrity. Either put your heart and soul in to it and deliver superior product, or GTFO. I'd much rather give 15€ to a beggar down the street, than to this lot. It sure will make me feel better than playing this game.

Every time I read your post, I die a little inside...
  • Aldous.HuxleyAldous.Huxley Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 418
    Originally posted by Aldous.Huxley

My favorite part about this review is how at first, Angry Joe is enjoying himself until his sidekick starts pointing out what he sees as flaws & begins to criticize the entire series. He slowly sways Joe from his enjoymemt of the game to the enjoyment of ridiculing it. If they don't like the ES series, why would they like the mmo version? Bias review is bias from the get. The only reason he pumped out a shallow review consisting of only lvls 1-9 (which are the introductory tutorial levels) was to capitalize on the popularity & hype of the beta to get more hits on his youtube channel.

All this video shows is how Angry Joe is a hamfisting opportunist & puppet who is easily swayed by his peers.

Angry Joe is an angry joke.

My favorite part about your post is how you didn't pay much attention to the video. They never said they dislike ES series. They repeatedly said that they love ES and ESO makes them want to play Skyrim even more because ESO feels like a generic version of Skyrim. 

And the fact that he is only allowed to show 15 minutes of gameplay he leveled as far as he could. Before you criticise someone make sure you atleast pay attention to what they have been saying.

I paid as much attention to his video as he paid to the game. They continually criticized the AI & combat of all elder scrolls titles. [mod edit] Why defend a console gaming hack of a reviewer who is obviously out of his depth on this game. He could have cut/edited that video any way he wanted as long as it added up to his 15 mins of fame, riding on the backs of people who actually produce something beyond an opinion (which any fool has to give). He needed to pump that video out for the hits. TBH, his review is bland & shallow. It's a first impressions video at best. At worst, it's what it actually is: A carrot on a stick to gain youtube hits because unemployed Joe needs to pay the bills.

Also, since the business model doesn't matter, how could this be the greatest F2P title of all time (in Joe's words) but just a standard, run-of-the-mill Sub game? The game is the game & the business pay model is the pay model, amirite? Exactly.

Angry Joe has less credibility than the register jockey at your local Gamestop. Gimme a break...

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

My favorite part about this review is how at first, Angry Joe is enjoying himself until his sidekick starts pointing out what he sees as flaws & begins to criticize the entire series. He slowly sways Joe from his enjoymemt of the game to the enjoyment of ridiculing it. If they don't like the ES series, why would they like the mmo version? Bias review is bias from the get. The only reason he pumped out a shallow review consisting of only lvls 1-9 (which are the introductory tutorial levels) was to capitalize on the popularity & hype of the beta to get more hits on his youtube channel.

All this video shows is how Angry Joe is a hamfisting opportunist & puppet who is easily swayed by his peers.

My favorite part about your post is how you didn't pay much attention to the video. They never said they dislike ES series. They repeatedly said that they love ES and ESO makes them want to play Skyrim even more because ESO feels like a generic version of Skyrim. 

And the fact that he is only allowed to show 15 minutes of gameplay he leveled as far as he could. Before you criticise someone make sure you atleast pay attention to what they have been saying.

I paid as much attention to his video as he paid to the game. They continually criticized the AI & combat of all elder scrolls titles. [mod edit] Why defend a console gaming hack of a reviewer who is obviously out of his depth on this game. He could have cut/edited that video any way he wanted as long as it added up to his 15 mins of fame, riding on the backs of people who actually produce something beyond an opinion (which any fool has to give). He needed to pump that video out for the hits. TBH, his review is bland & shallow. It's a first impressions video at best. At worst, it's what it actually is: A carrot on a stick to gain youtube hits because unemployed Joe needs to pay the bills.

Also, since the business model doesn't matter, how could this be the greatest F2P title of all time (in Joe's words) but just a standard, run-of-the-mill Sub game? The game is the game & the business pay model is the pay model, amirite? Exactly.

Angry Joe has less credibility than the register jockey at your local Gamestop. Gimme a break...

Well said.  It was his early impression at best.

I guess I just have never understood why some random guy on youtube opinion has weight with some people. And I would have to second the kid at gamestops opinion being just as or more valid.

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Originally posted by Geriden

Yea joe sums up for me pretty much felt the same way.

Another wasted IP !

If ever a mmo was meant to be a sandbox (im not a big sandbox guy) it should have been Eso.

Previous Elder Scrolls titles have not been sandboxes so why should ESO? The game is much bigger than any ES game released with tons more content and better combat.

• SatariousSatarious Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    This is the quintessential "judging a book by its cover" review.  You can't possibly review an MMO like you review a movie.   You don't get the entire experience in 2 hours.  This angry joe character is basically reviewing the beginner levels of the game.  I can't think of any MMOs (even ones I've enjoyed) that had very enlivening beginning levels.  And the fact that this clown suggested that the game should go f2p made him lose all credibility in my eyes.  F2p is a joke as an mmo model.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by JJ82
    Originally posted by Sovrath

So players screaming for f2p games are desiring games that are poorer in quality? It seems to me that there is a contingent of players who insist that f2p is the future. Why would they want this if f2p means "poorer games".

I have no doubt your mind really did twist it that way so this way you wouldn't have to admit that they are just plain stating that it proves that the person that chose an outdated game design is also using an outdated paymodel that few games can justify.

"The Point" being that there are plenty of f2p games that are actually "good" that are out now. The era of only crappy asian f2p games being the only choice is no longer valid.

lotro, AoC, Star Trek, The Secret World, EQ 2, etc. And though those games started p2p, for players, they are expecting that level of quality for f2p games. There have been a whole host of players who were upset at the business model when it was announced. Do you think any of those players were thinking "oh boy, if it was f2p it would be at least on par for those crappy asian games".

Now Joe says that ESO would be a pinacle of f2p when we know there are a lot of quality choices out there.

Or did you conveniently forget those entries?

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • JJ82JJ82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

So players screaming for f2p games are desiring games that are poorer in quality? It seems to me that there is a contingent of players who insist that f2p is the future. Why would they want this if f2p means "poorer games".

I have no doubt your mind really did twist it that way so this way you wouldn't have to admit that they are just plain stating that it proves that the person that chose an outdated game design is also using an outdated paymodel that few games can justify.

"The Point" being that there are plenty of f2p games that are actually "good" that are out now. The era of only crappy asian f2p games being the only choice is no longer valid.

lotro, AoC, Star Trek, The Secret World, EQ 2, etc.

Or did you conveniently forget those?

As I said, conveniently overlooked the point that was made. Not to mention the fact that not everyone has bastardized the term F2P. F2P does not have a sub option, freemium does. He did not say the game should be freemium, but F2P or B2P.

F2P = Neverwinter

Freemium = the games you mentioned.

Also, STO is not a good game and TSW is B2P.

TESO would look like a good game if it was F2P or B2P. It doesn't not measure up to current sub based games like WoW or Eve.

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

• TanrTanr Member UncommonPosts: 54

Well to be fair, when i started the game i was like wow, this looks amazing i loved character creation the look of the races. But with in the first 30-60 minuets of playing it just rapidly began to bore me senseless. 

What?  How did it bore you?  What are you expecting?  I think the game is amazing.  Have you ever played a TES game before?  Were you expecting a TES fleshed out WoW clone?  Myself being a huge TES fan,  the game plays pretty much EXACTLY like I expected. I guess I am not allowed to give a full preview of the game though I would love too because it would be VERY different from angry joe's... not that anyone would care.

I

LOL, this post is awesome.

I'll second that.

I think in general there are so many "sheeple" out there. People need to learn to think for themselves and stop letting others tell them what to think. 

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

As I said, conveniently overlooked the point that was made. Not to mention the fact that not everyone has bastardized the term F2P. F2P does not have a sub option, freemium does. He did not say the game should be freemium, but F2P or B2P.

F2P = Neverwinter

TESO would look like a good game if it was F2P or B2P. It doesn't not measure up to current sub based games like WoW or Eve.

Good point, AJ was saying that from what he has seen of the game so far, it was not worth a sub, but, would make a good F2P game because of the amount of content.

But this is without experiencing the PVP, he did after all, point out that if the PVP is that good, then it might be worth a sub, we really need to wait and see what the rest of the game is like, first impressions are just that, its not a comprehensive review.

At the moment i see this game going either way, either it will be a success, the PVP will be fantastic the PVE game is improved, or it will be a failure, the PVP a shambles of mediocrity and little to no change to PVE from what it currently is. image

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

F2P = Neverwinter

I suppose that's true so I'll have to take back TSW and your assessment fo STO is not everyone's but I think you are splitting hairs. People were clamoring for ESO to be "f2p" and not because they thought that would make it on par with crappy asian f2p games.

I think when people do use the term "f2p" as you say, they are lumping freemium into the mix. Heck, I just did it and I know full well the term freemium. "F2P" seems more convenient as a whole.

Conjecture but I wonder  if Joe was pressed if he would say "sure freemium, f2p whatever".

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • JJ82JJ82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,258
    Originally posted by Tanr

I'll second that.

I think in general there are so many "sheeple" out there. People need to learn to think for themselves and stop letting others tell them what to think. 

Right because its just not possible to go from having fun to not having fun after playing for a while.

His discovering that combat isn't getting better, the lack of depth that only shows after a while, the goofy neck of doom, its generic-ness, growing tied of running and running and running to kill a few things and going back, to get another quest that has you do the same.

All those things should have been apparent during character creation.

You guys have outed yourselves as being fanboys that cant handle opposing views and blaring facts.

Any reviewer worth a DAMN would take a game using an IP and making comparisons because the game is going to get the attention of the FANS OF THAT IP. And since they are not whores, should be providing information for those fans so they don't get burned.

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    Originally posted by slickbizzle
    Originally posted by FlawSGI
    Originally posted by slickbizzle

Am I the only person left that reviews my own games by buying them and playing them?  Are there really that many sheep on the edge of their seat waiting to be told to buy something because a reviewer said it was good or to stay away because a reviewer said it was bad?   I genuinely feel sorry for people with the mentality that they need to constantly be told what to like and not like.

Case and point. I feel sorry for those that attack others because they enjoy listening to  others opinions. But carry on.

Didn't really feel like I was "attacking" anyone.  Did you feel attacked by what I said?  An attack is a vicious, brutal thing.  Can we settle this without getting the police involved? Maybe I can pay something to help with your pain and suffering?

Hah  another attack. I am not in any way offended and I did know it wasn't directed at me per se. I made a response earlier and then right afterwards your post was an example. When you call people names and insinuate that they need relief because their feelings are hurt it is an attack because rather than state your opinion followed up with examples, you resort to childish behavior to prove your point.  I am glad you review your own games by buying them with your big-boy dollars, but some of us like to have discussions and actually enjoy other peoples opinions when they give them in a constructive fashion which you have apparently not learned yet so I won't be responding to you again.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• GeridenGeriden Member UncommonPosts: 390

Well to be fair, when i started the game i was like wow, this looks amazing i loved character creation the look of the races. But with in the first 30-60 minuets of playing it just rapidly began to bore me senseless. 

What?  How did it bore you?  What are you expecting?  I think the game is amazing.  Have you ever played a TES game before?  Were you expecting a TES fleshed out WoW clone?  Myself being a huge TES fan,  the game plays pretty much EXACTLY like I expected. I guess I am not allowed to give a full preview of the game though I would love too because it would be VERY different from angry joe's... not that anyone would care.

I

Seriously im fairly gob smacked you can say you are a huge TES fan and then say this game plays exactly like you expected, TES ( i own them all) It iss an open world where you can go around and do what ever you like, missions are there if you want, go do some profession stuff, join a guild go explore straight from the start. Here you have not one but two starting on rails locations by the time i left the second one the island, their was not one remotely interesting quest, it was just an bland generic experiance with an elder scrolls skin. The combat in most the most glaring half the time their wasnt even any sounds in melee. 

Sure it looks nice, but you dont put an elder scrolls title on a game and then give me some half assed crap and expect me to like it. They think they stick a top selling ip on an mmo sell it on that alone. They are wrong. This is an on rails theme park game and the worst thing is their is a tone of more enjoyable experiance out there for free.  It may have started out with the intention of delivering a good mmo /eso experiance but from the beta its nothing more than a cash grab before another ugly f2p move.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

exactly what I had predicted other than the community having to pull finger nails to get first person view.

Darkfall Online is more like a Elder Scrolls experience

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Yea joe sums up for me pretty much felt the same way.

Another wasted IP !

If ever a mmo was meant to be a sandbox (im not a big sandbox guy) it should have been Eso.

Depends on if you call Skyrim and the others a sandbox.  Which I do.  Many will call them an open world game but I have always associated Themepark and sandbox's with linearity not with building stuff.

I do agree that ESO would of made a wonderful open world/sandbox style MMO with ultimate freedom.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    Originally posted by DrSmaSh

Sounds legit.

I don't understand how people think it's all about the money. It is not. It doesn't matter if you are poor or rich, if you can't afford 15€ a month than you have bigger problems in life to worry about.

It's not about "Oh gosh, I don't have 15€", but it's more like "I'm not supporting this crap with my money, it's not worth it!"

As in, voting with your wallet, because that's the only thing you can do as a customer. If millions of people sub to this game, than they are the reason why we keep getting shit served to us. I for one do not approve nor support mediocrity. Either put your heart and soul in to it and deliver superior product, or GTFO. I'd much rather give 15€ to a beggar down the street, than to this lot. It sure will make me feel better than playing this game.

+1  People love to paint this argument as "you can't afford it" when you don't agree with them. Cost has nothing to do with it for many of us.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

Originally posted by Ppiper

I'll second that.

agreed, horribly amateuristic as a game reviewer. Note to self: Never read his reviews or watch his videos again. I want my few minutes back.

And how many videos will you cherish, share and upvote because they agree with your point of view?

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Originally posted by FlawSGI
    Originally posted by DrSmaSh

Sounds legit.

+1  People love to paint this argument as "you can't afford it" when you don't agree with them. Cost has nothing to do with it for many of us.

It's never been about cost.  Cost has nothing to do with subscriptions it's everything to do with value.  and $15 a month, especially something that is not as good as something cheaper has intrinsic value.

Originally posted by azzamasin
    Originally posted by Ppiper

I'll second that.

agreed, horribly amateuristic as a game reviewer. Note to self: Never read his reviews or watch his videos again. I want my few minutes back.

And how many videos will you cherish, share and upvote because they agree with your point of view?

That's just it.  I have my OWN point of view.  I don't let people tell me what I should think.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

Best Angry Joe review ever has to be Rome 2, just wanted to say that.

kthx bye.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.