Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Blizzard Reveals Rise in Subscriptions

Comments

• Iceman8235Iceman8235 Member UncommonPosts: 205
    A friend and I picked the game back up when they offered that big sale around Christmas time, so I'd imagine a lot of the new subs came from that.  The game was basically free during the sale, for 15 bucks you got the game with every expansion and a month of game time.  I've actually been having a lot of fun since resubbing and I'm looking forward to WoD with Wildstar and EQNext not much farther on the horizon.
  • reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by Murugan
    Originally posted by inoxcopia
    Don't be so naive m8... i wouldn't say something judging only from my server. I was using oQueue most of the time. So i was mostly on other servers. 

Ahhh love this community where opinions are facts, and facts are downright lies.

I wonder if in the near future we will do away with all facts, studies, financial reports, textbooks etc. since your generation has so completely embraced your own inflated sense of worth regarding your completely biased anecdotal observations of the world.  Blizzard and all companies really should tailor their financial reports after a "choose your own adventure" style.  Then people can just have their own personal agendas readily confirmed every quarter without having to pick and choose which ones to blast all over the internet, and which ones to denounce as conspiracies.

Oh please, the older generation is just as bad if not worse about that.  See Fox News.

• BoudewijnsBoudewijns Member UncommonPosts: 162
    U mean rise in gold farmers and spammers

• SwampDragonsSwampDragons Member UncommonPosts: 352

Well im pretty sure it has to do with Hearthstone(HS) and warlords of draenor on its way.

After i played a few hours of HS , the want to play wow got bigger :D and just the thinking of the new patch makes me wanna give it a go.

Thumbs up for wow

• amber-ramber-r Member Posts: 323

People unsub when a new mmo comes out, get bored and most go back.

Fluctuations in the WoW subscriber numbers are almost not worth looking at, they show almost nothing.  WoW is simply too big to fail at this point, as shown by almost every other big MMO the only way to kill it will be to bring out a successor (which would fail too).

They will drop when Wildstar, ESO come out and again go back up 5-6 months later.

WoW is a behemoth, it gains and loses more subscribers in a quarter than most games have playing in total.  The future is nothing but good for the game, graphics update coming, new expansion and a huge hollywood movie. 

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by RebelScum99
    Don't be so naive m8... i wouldn't say something judging only from my server. I was using oQueue most of the time. So i was mostly on other servers. 

I'm resubbed and my server is hopping, too.  And why would you think Blizzard is going to lie about GAINING 100k subs when they've been truthful about dropping millions?

Good logic.  

not going on the WoW doomtrain, but last time I checked my EU servers, they were all but Argent Dawn very empty with only the 90s sitting in that China country AFK, and the occasional heirloom pimped alt leveling here and there.

On a PVP server leveling normally without heirlooms from 1-85 -couldn't stand to go through Hello Kitty Online Kung Fu Panda Land again- I never got ganked in world PVP. :(

and Blizzard doing server merges, ow wait, connecting realms isn't good news either.

With that said, I don't expect WoW to die anytime soon unless the players outgrow that game setting or Blizzard screws something up in a major way.  /points to SOE.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Good.

Thinking about going back myself unless wildstar beta soon.

• GameboyMarcGameboyMarc Member UncommonPosts: 395
    I wish WoW well. I am going to two months without it. My biggest fear is going back with the new exp pack is released. But UO, Lord Of The Rings Online, and Rift are keeping me busy.

Originally posted by Adoni
    I wish WoW well. I am going to two months without it. My biggest fear is going back with the new exp pack is released. But UO, Lord Of The Rings Online, and Rift are keeping me busy.

They will keep you busy but they won't satisfy you like wow can.  Its like giving up a girlfriend who is graphically a 6.5 out of 10 but satisfys you in a way no other woman can.

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824
    Originally posted by Muke

I'm resubbed and my server is hopping, too.  And why would you think Blizzard is going to lie about GAINING 100k subs when they've been truthful about dropping millions?

Good logic.  

not going on the WoW doomtrain, but last time I checked my EU servers, they were all but Argent Dawn very empty with only the 90s sitting in that China country AFK, and the occasional heirloom pimped alt leveling here and there.

On a PVP server leveling normally without heirlooms from 1-85 -couldn't stand to go through Hello Kitty Online Kung Fu Panda Land again- I never got ganked in world PVP. :(

and Blizzard doing server merges, ow wait, connecting realms isn't good news either.

With that said, I don't expect WoW to die anytime soon unless the players outgrow that game setting or Blizzard screws something up in a major way.  /points to SOE.

I love how Warcraft has always been a colorful disney influenced game with talking cow people, talking dragons, and little gnomes in helicopters. A land with Medieval European castles, Goblin oil pump operations, Egyptian themed lands, and Nordic themed lands.

Yet it's the asian themed panda continent that's SO ridiculous and out of place it ruins everything!!!

Then again you just endorsed SOE without irony, so I'm not surprised that this is your thought process lol

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006

End up costing more in Hearthstone f2p then it does with a WoW sub.

I don't get why WoW is so popular as D&D Online is way more advance the same reason I don't get why Hearthsone is more popular than Magic the Gathering as that too is more advanced.

I was thinking to myself that WoWs subs are going to go up as there is a mid year expansion to be released. (possibly after the pvp season as a guess of time when expansions coming out)

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Maybe because DND Online looks and plays like soiled diaper?

• MpfiveMpfive Member UncommonPosts: 308
    Frankly, i'm surprised that the subs stop falling.... i stopped playing 3 weeks ago... and the activity on servers was the lowest i have seen. Where are all those subscribers? 2 possible scenarios: Blizz is not telling the truth or there is a secret place in wow where all ghost subscribers gather and play pet battles.

Why you think they merged all the servers, they had to save face from closing a lot of them down

• MpfiveMpfive Member UncommonPosts: 308
    Originally posted by Wicoa

They will keep you busy but they won't satisfy you like wow can.  Its like giving up a girlfriend who is graphically a 6.5 out of 10 but satisfys you in a way no other woman can.

Think you need to get out more;)

Originally posted by Mpfive
    Originally posted by Wicoa

Think you need to get out more;)

lol ;)
    Yes that does read like that.  Sadly I get out too much, Im not currently subscribed to wow but nor can I find anything to satisfty my gaming time either.

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699

Personally I'm not at all surprised. Pretty much all of my MMO-playing friends are back to WoW, many after not playing it for years, after the announcement of WoD. Personally I'm not quite sure why so much excitement -- WoD sounded interesting to me, but not "Oh my god, I have to go prep all my sub-90 characters and be ready!" interesting -- but I'm glad to see them having fun.

I suspect the numbers will see a bigger than usual and longer lived jump with WoD if Blizz manages to deliver. And, despite the doomtrain, they usually do.

I just wish I could get back into WoW. Don't seem to be able to though.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

Good logic.  

I agree Blizzard are upfront about their numbers but in the last quarter Blizzard bundled all xpacs upto Cata into the base pack and offered MOP at 75% off, I bought it and subbed I think that accounts for the slight rise in subs though I could be wrong. But I must say, god knows why I did that as it just reminded me why I left the game in 2008.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    Unfortunately, I contributed to those numbers for SC2 and D3. Don't expect anything to kill WoW in the upcomming years than WoW itself. If this next expansion is done better than the last two then theres an indication WoW has many years left of success. I just can't stand the pve in the game and instanced pvp bores me, looking forward to the pvp zone next expansion.
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    Problem with WoW at this point in its current expansion cycle is that as a new player you play an enjoyable game until you level to 90 and then you face an endgame treadmill where you are way behind the curve. The Warlord of Draenor (WoD) looks, though, like the expansion worth playing after a lacklustre Kung pao Panda.  But, when to hop onto that gear treadmill again if you are thinking of trying the WoW again? Simply put, resubscribe with your 90 a week before the expansion and farm dailies. Then join a guild that fits your needs as you level. Before that play another game.
  • fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Keep saying that those numbers are not real and don't make sense. Whatever makes you happy, doesn't matter if it it true or not.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Well good for Blizzard!

I don't always like their decisions, but they make solid games that continue to entertain me!

Havn't played WoW in a while, but I'm certainly considering a return for WoD, maybe a little sooner.  I suspect their numbers will increase all year, especially with the teasing of the new char models, I really like them... 

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

Good logic.  

Picture taken at 3 GMT. All but Argent Dawn is empty you say? all right. And this isn't even the peak time but middle of afternoon. Game is 9 years old by the way.

People are super excited about the new models and expansion and from what i have seen so far..numbers will only go up and not down once new models are patched in.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Since leaving WoW and going back to SWTOR, the one big thing from SWTOR where iv felt that they went backwards, was deactivating Ilum with no fix in sight. WoD will be releasing their own version of Ilum, can't wait to check it out.
  • BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser

Good logic.  

Picture taken at 3 GMT. All but Argent Dawn is empty you say? all right. And this isn't even the peak time but middle of afternoon. Game is 9 years old by the way.

People are super excited about the new models and expansion and from what i have seen so far..numbers will only go up and not down once new models are patched in.

Yeah right...except for Argent Dawn rest of the EU servers look pretty dead to me. image

*sticks thumbs in ears and closes eyes*.... lalalalalalala!!! lalalala!!!

• WoWatzisWoWatzis Member Posts: 11
    World Of Warcraft will be 4ever ALIVE.