Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lifetime Subscription?

lunatiquezlunatiquez Member UncommonPosts: 381

I've been hearing things, that there is a possibility of a lifetime subscription.

What do you think of it? How much will you pay for it?

Comments

• Eighteen16Eighteen16 Member UncommonPosts: 146
    If anyone buys a lifetime sub after what happened with TSW I want to sell them some common sense, $500 will do. 
  • GameboyMarcGameboyMarc Member UncommonPosts: 395
    Back in the day I paid 200$ for Lord Of The Rings Online. I still don't know how I feel about it. I got my moneys worth back then but I hardly play it now.

• lunatiquezlunatiquez Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Yeah, TSW, LOTRO, DCUO, etc has it too. It's not like the lifetime subs is worthless if the game went F2P anyway, you still have the advantages over F2P players, forever.
  • reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

I believe someone last  week said about the preorder/CE controversy: You people are over-reacting we'll know things are bad when they start offering a lifetime subscription.

Edit:  From a raw numbers prospective WoW is the only game I've ever subscribed to for over 6 months so for me anything over $90 is likely a losing proposition.  While it's possible that ESO is the next big thing for me, I'd rather not bet hundreds of dollars against the odds.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by Adoni
    Back in the day I paid 200$ for Lord Of The Rings Online. I still don't know how I feel about it. I got my moneys worth back then but I hardly play it now.

Well at least you feel you got your moneys worth from your LOTRO lifetime sub.  I don't feelI have gotten my moneys worth yet and probably never will.  Oh well, lesson learned.  Never again will I buy a lifetime sub for a game.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• cnutempcnutemp Member UncommonPosts: 230
    Originally posted by inemosz

I've been hearing things,

Some people say that you haven't been hearing things.

see what i did there?

• ramoncostaramoncosta Member CommonPosts: 4
    i was gona say like U$ 100 or U$ 150, but there's no option for that in your pool.
  • XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

If I loved the game and was inclined to buy a lifetime sub, $200-250, so didn't vote as those prices are too high.  I am not too interested in ESO though, so I won't be.  Just saying if I was, but as people have said, given the rate of p2p going f2p, I wouldn't do it.

Now some of the kickstarters, like CU, I do not see them going f2p, as it is a niche targeted game and a conversion would not work imo, so if you had faith in the project, that is where it might work out for you.  They also said if they stop being a p2p, it is because it is closed down, now that I think back.  I am not a CU backer, so not trying to work it in, just an example.

• lunatiquezlunatiquez Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by cnutemp

see what i did there?

Well, let's take it as a rumour, a rumour of a possibility. We shall see in April whether it's true or not.

About the poll, i also think that i should put $200 in the poll, but i can't edit it.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    I haven't heard this rumor and I doubt it will happen. Where did you here it from?

There Is Always Hope!

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989

see what i did there?

Well, let's take it as a rumour, a rumour of a possibility. We shall see in April whether it's true or not.

About the poll, i also think that i should put $200 in the poll, but i can't edit it.

$200 is about norm for lifetime isn't it? Or around there...so yea. And I would on any game that was worth it. So the question is pointless.

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552

They should offer a lifetime sub. It's a good way to build community and a good buy if you're a hardcore fan of the game play you will probably at least get your money back.

With that said I doubt I'd buy one for this particular game...If I really loved a game though I'd go lifetime in a heartbeat.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I usually buy a lifetime sub if available with no regrets so far.  I would pay $200.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• skyline385skyline385 Member Posts: 564

Even $200 is a lot in this era. If you were to individually buy monthly subs at $15 without any discounts this would amount to 13 months + 1 for buying the game. ESO will need to do something spectacular especially in the section of not yet disclosed PvE endgame to survive that much without going F2P. I have bought the game but i am still not optimistic for it.

I think buying 3 month subs would be far better than gambling on $200.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Originally posted by rodingo

Well at least you feel you got your moneys worth from your LOTRO lifetime sub.  I don't feelI have gotten my moneys worth yet and probably never will.  Oh well, lesson learned.  Never again will I buy a lifetime sub for a game.

I absolutely got my money's worth from my lifetime sub to LOTRO.  One of the better investments I've made, even if I'm not currently playing it.  

Definitely the only game, other than WoW, that would have ever been worth a lifetime sub.  

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950

see what i did there?

All you have to do is link the Zeni communication you heard and we can find out right now whether it's true you've actually heard things.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

I think it would be overly optimistic for a lifetime sub to only cost $200, that is the price after all, or very close to it, of a years sub, or 2x a CE edition of the game, i would expect a lifetime sub to cost at least 3x that possibly 5x, so the question really would be, would people pay $600 - $1000 for a lifetime sub? and why would anyone expect it to be less than this?

I don't think it really matters that much either way as i really doubt that a lifetime sub would be in Zenimax's interest, indications are that they are selling the games various box sets well in pre-orders, so any immediate needs they might have for cash should easily be met by those, that they would need to sell a lifetime sub on the cheap to raise cash also, seems unlikely. image

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640

I have bought every lifetime ever offered by any company lotro included and I have always gotten my money's worth, especially on the titles that later convert to F2P, as every one of them give me enough cash shop money per month to buy any expansions or items I desire.

In comparison I have had an active Everquest account for 15 years now that has cost me $2500ish just on the sub, not counting the expansions or item mall purchases.

Lifetime $200-300  vs. a possible 15 year subscription @ $15 a month...

I'll take the lifetime everytime its offered.

• Blazer6992Blazer6992 Member UncommonPosts: 642

It will be free to play in about two to three years anyways. If it's really bad then maybe a year.

• DeddmeatDeddmeat Member UncommonPosts: 387
    200 and I'd get a lifetime subscription, I have two already and it saves over time.

• PyatraPyatra Member Posts: 644
    Originally posted by Blazer6992

It will be free to play in about two to three years anyways. If it's really bad then maybe a year.

What factual sourced information are you basing this on that directly pertains to ESO?  Not other games, but the game in question?  Also please link sources of ESO financial data, after all you seem so sure, surely you must have numbers directly pertaining to ESO or Beth/ZOS to back up your statement.

• askdabossaskdaboss Member UncommonPosts: 631
    Originally posted by skyline385

Even $200 is a lot in this era. If you were to individually buy monthly subs at $15 without any discounts this would amount to 13 months + 1 for buying the game. ESO will need to do something spectacular especially in the section of not yet disclosed PvE endgame to survive that much without going F2P. I have bought the game but i am still not optimistic for it.

I think buying 3 month subs would be far better than gambling on $200.

I would have answered about $100-$150 - at best. But, really lifetime subs are a rip-off as most games that do this indeed go F2P after some time.

And what's worse is that ESO doing this would be basically them acknowledging that GW2 model of B2P for AAA games is the right one (which is probably true, just charge for Xpacks). Except that you are asked to pay $200+ to "B2P" the game (instead of $40 something for GW2, I am wondering what the defenders of subscription based games have to say about that).

How about asking $500 or even $1000 for a future B2P game then, would it be that much better than ESO then?

Now, if we accept this system of "one off lifetime sub", we are basically saying that either:

1) The game DOESN'T really need those subs to survive in the long term while maintaining quality (1+ year, assuming we pay the equivalent of 1 year of sub at once, for lifetime subscription).

I have an issue with that, as the whole point of subs is (according to some) to ensure "continuous game quality over time", "quality support over time", "quality servers that are expensive", etc. (that's what people here often say)... so by paying a lifetime sub we are then expecting a sudden drop of quality in all areas at the moment the lifetime sub we paid doesn't cover the normal price of a sub any more? (Of course not. This is why subs are BS).

Plus you lose your bargaining power the moment you pay the lifetime sub, thus empowering the developers completely (no way to "protest" any more).

OR

2) The game is basically only worth playing for much less than a year (or the equivalent lifetime sub) and that the developer is trying to get people to pay upfront, as they fear the people are going to leave much before that and would stop paying their sub then.

TL;DR:

- GW2: B2P for $50 => blablabla no sub games are crap

- ESO: B2P for $200 => expensive crap?

I'm wondering how some people will reconcile this contradiction in their mind (and yes, if you want any B2P game to be a better game, I'm sure an extra $150 would absolutely help).

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    Frankly OP, I would not buy a life time subscription as the chances that any new MMORPG release will end up going free to play to survive within a year of launch now a days are simply too high to make it a worthwhile investment no matter the IP. It is a huge gamble purchase with little chance of good return. Right now, I am struggling to think of a game where it would have been of benefit. If they up and offered one, I admittedly would be looking at it as a scam.
  • RattenmannRattenmann Member UncommonPosts: 613
    I don't think ESO will remain a sub game for long enough to warrant a lifetime sub at all.

MMOs finally replaced social interaction, forced grouping and standing in a line while talking to eachother.

Now we have forced soloing, forced questing and everyone is the hero, without ever having to talk to anyone else. The evolution of multiplayer is here! We won,... right?