Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World vs Other MMORPG's

Comments

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    Originally posted by FlyByKnight

The combat is horrid. The skill progression is fun and interesting. The quests are incredible. The dungeons are challenging. Funcoms follow through is one of the worst EVER.

I wish somebody would borrow from TSW and make a better game of it.

it really is an awesome game but yeah it does have some major issues and i sometimes wonder what it would be like if someone else where to take over the reins. especially when it comes to combat and PvP(probably the worst PvP in the history of mmo's)

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Originally posted by Ortwig
    Originally posted by Robsolf

The difficulty level is not the/a problem.  Taking down a champion mob or a boss isn't difficult, it's just time consuming.  The best chance I have at losing is when I happen to be fighting them when suddenly a new spawn pops up right where I'm standing; sometimes even another champion, which again points to bad design.  And this happens much more often than other games because combat is slow and tedious.

Lastly, IMO, the map/combat elements don't fit the genre, nor the story Ragnar was trying to tell.  Having maps in which you can't go 30 metres without running into a supernatural creature and still calling it "the secret world" just doesn't work.  They tried to build a contemporary, action-based MMO on top of a typical non-action based(stand in one spot, press buttons) MMO map.  From a mob standpoint, imagine doing all the things you have to do to survive combat in this game in a WoW mob environment.  Nevermind... that's pretty much what we have.

Thanks for expanding on the point.  Many simply trash combat without really explaining why.  

Mobs do tend to be tougher/longer to take down in TSW than in other games, but I have found that adapting your build to their weakness really reduces the time to take them down; my sense is that many keep the same build throughout, and while it may get the job done, it's probably not completely optimal either.  There are builds that work pretty well throughout the game, but to really knock things down quickly, it means using the flexibility of the system to switch it up in different areas.

I can't call my current build "slow and tedious" because it works really well, but I spent some time on it and did some research; I understand that's not everyone's cup of tea.  And I also understand folks may not have the patience to do that research -- I'm not a min/maxer myself, but I know when I should be doing better than I am.

As to mob density and the number of creatures, remember that the areas we're visiting as characters have been cordoned off with yellow tape by the Men in Black.  We're seeing a LOT more than your average person, and your average person isn't even allowed to cross into the area.  These are hot spots of paranormal activity that we're being sent in to investigate and get under control.

My current one works very well, in comparison.

On the TSW concept, good answer, though it doesn't explain people that ARE in these areas, and that characters expect those people to be there, despite the yellow tape.

I have a few builds, mostly along the AoE and BOSS concepts, but that's irrelevant, IMO.  If I have to load a new build for everyone I go after, then I'd like that reason to have meaning.  I shouldn't have to change loadouts every 3 minutes.  And to anybody who disagrees, welcome to why this game is in trouble despite having so much talent behind it.

actually for solo content you can pretty much stick yo onr build through it all.. after playing for awhile i knew exactly what types of weapons i wanted to use so i stuck to it and made one survival build with them and one dps build(the latter i only use for group content) they key is to finding a perfect balance with your actives and your passives.. as to things going down slow i suspect thatd more of you having a flawed build.

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Originally posted by Pekish79
    it make me laugh people that criticize the combat and never passed the first 2/3 area 

combat change a lot with more skill and more passive and more of the wheel open

is like saying combat in lame in wow at lvl 1-5 where i barely have 3/4 skill

but hey we honestly don't need people that cannot or understand not even that much

No, no no. It isn't the thought process to the combat that people don't like. The pacing is off, the animations are horrid, the combo system is just repetitive. It is easy, tedius and sluggish all at the same time and it ends up a complete mess that just isn't fun in any way. By the 3rd act I found myself running past as much as I could so I didn't have to stop and fight, that is never a good thing. By the 4th act I quit because I found it so unappealing even though I liked the rest of the game.

This isn't something that fixes itself over time, it is a core flaw in the game.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by Charlie12202

I didn't hate the mystery or the challenge. I didn't even delve into the game that much, the whole combat was off setting and the story line just seemed to continue on for forever.

Hence why I ask you love TSW to see your opinion on the game as of NOW then before. 

Yeah, I really hate games where the story gets in the way of things like whacking rats, etc. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

Originally posted by Ender4

it make me laugh people that criticize the combat and never passed the first 2/3 area 

combat change a lot with more skill and more passive and more of the wheel open

is like saying combat in lame in wow at lvl 1-5 where i barely have 3/4 skill

but hey we honestly don't need people that cannot or understand not even that much

No, no no. It isn't the thought process to the combat that people don't like. The pacing is off, the animations are horrid, the combo system is just repetitive. It is easy, tedius and sluggish all at the same time and it ends up a complete mess that just isn't fun in any way. By the 3rd act I found myself running past as much as I could so I didn't have to stop and fight, that is never a good thing. By the 4th act I quit because I found it so unappealing even though I liked the rest of the game.

This isn't something that fixes itself over time, it is a core flaw in the game.

the problem is that no matter what you pick they all require a builder and that makes it all feel pretty much the same

would be nice if some of them lets say the ranged worked with proccs instead or just something else they should'nt all have the same type of resource.

• crasset15crasset15 Member UncommonPosts: 194

As is the case with all Funcom games:

1) the game is riddled with strange bugs that I haven't seen in any other game, like occasionally, the chatbox starts displaying 5 copies of each person's message. At other times, you do a PvE dungeon, and in a random spot in the dungeon, you can attack all your teammates. The list goes on and on. I honestly haven't experienced anything like this in any other game.

2) most of the developers were laid off after launch, and development of the game has almost ceased. Only a small team remains who mostly recycle pre-launch monster skins for new content. They also occasionally re-use already existing voiceovers (as is the case with the latest raid event) and anything else they can get their hands on to make new content with the least amount of effort.

3) cash shop that is slowly moving closer to becoming pay to win. The most recent addition being lockboxes that give tokens which can be used to buy dungeon gear.

After TSW and AoC, I wouldn't touch anything made in the dreamworld engine with a 10 foot pole.

As far as the game itself goes, yeah, it's fun to play through the storyline once, I'd say the 200 hours of story content was more fun than the story content in skyrim, but after that it's the traditional MMO deal where you run 8 dungeons and 1 raid over and over again. At this point, it comes down to who can endure doing the same thing repeatedly. Most people with a life have moved on, while the diehards and addicts remain.

The way the game is now will be the way it will be for the rest of its lifespan. Sure there will be more story content and such, but the core of the game's design is not going to change, not with such a small team still working on it.

If there's one thing this game is not, it's not an 'MMO-home' for anyone who plays more than 2 hours a day. There just isn't enough substance for that.

• Pekish79Pekish79 Member Posts: 91

the problem is that no matter what you pick they all require a builder and that makes it all feel pretty much the same

would be nice if some of them lets say the ranged worked with proccs instead or just something else they should'nt all have the same type of resource.

And here is where you are wrong and the other guy too you don tknow the game

i have 3 built with no builder/consumer concept one is a kiting built based 2 are single target built impair utility based

i dont use the builder/consumer concept

come in game and i can send you the built okey if you only play PVE i can udnerstand the pain but again PVE is boring and is not combat fault is the repetition of a script enemy

in PVP u can easily do built without builder/consumer and they are effective as i said the problem is that a lot of people cannot think outside the box but we dont really need those people to play TSW so it's like a natural selection.

And here is where you are wrong and the other guy too you don tknow the game

i have 3 built with no builder/consumer concept one is a kiting built based 2 are single target built impair utility based

i dont use the builder/consumer concept

come in game and i can send you the built okey if you only play PVE i can udnerstand the pain but again PVE is boring and is not combat fault is the repetition of a script enemy

in PVP u can easily do built without builder/consumer and they are effective as i said the problem is that a lot of people cannot think outside the box but we dont really need those people to play TSW so it's like a natural selection.

anything that is not based around builders and consumers usually comes with a high cooldown so what do you do when you've used up those? but ofcourse if you even bother to pvp in this game i guess it does'nt matter since you wont stay alive long enough anyway there's like only 3 viable builds for that 3! ridiculous..

false again think about the box builder is builder because there is a consumer but per se is a skill that apply damage and doesnt need to be used with the consumer if that's not what u are persuing

i have a kite built that ha 4/5 depending form the built actually kiting skill (all short cooldown no consumer) and i use my builder not as a builder but as my main damage without using consumer

is AR-shootgun but it could be something else and i usually top the chart of dps in generic group obviously if u look for a min/max built is not that the road is not a single target built and yeah as long as it deos good in PVE dont expect super snobbish elite people to accept you in group...

again in game i am willing to share any built i made some dont have builder/consumer mentality some use 2 different builder not a sbuilder but as ability and elemental force to force crit not a consumer but an elite ability and again is different

some builder allow you some mobility as well and so on so on...

we as community care about new players and in the forum we even made a post trying to address the problem why people think is boring

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=77906

The "Boring, Clunky Combat" Thing

So is there anything that can be done about this quote that never seems to go away? I don't get it myself, and I find combat damn fun. Is this just a failure of imagination and "learning to play," or is it really a failure to explain how combat works?

(this is the post for the lazy to click)

but hey keep thinking is bad maybe is just not for you

false again think about the box builder is builder because there is a consumer but per se is a skill that apply damage and doesnt need to be used with the consumer if that's not what u are persuing

i have a kite built that ha 4/5 depending form the built actually kiting skill (all short cooldown no consumer) and i use my builder not as a builder but as my main damage without using consumer

is AR-shootgun but it could be something else and i usually top the chart of dps in generic group obviously if u look for a min/max built is not that the road is not a single target built and yeah as long as it deos good in PVE dont expect super snobbish elite people to accept you in group...

again in game i am willing to share any built i made some dont have builder/consumer mentality some use 2 different builder not a sbuilder but as ability and elemental force to force crit not a consumer but an elite ability and again is different

some builder allow you some mobility as well and so on so on...

we as community care about new players and in the forum we even made a post trying to address the problem why people think is boring

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=77906

The "Boring, Clunky Combat" Thing

So is there anything that can be done about this quote that never seems to go away? I don't get it myself, and I find combat damn fun. Is this just a failure of imagination and "learning to play," or is it really a failure to explain how combat works?

(this is the post for the lazy to click)

but hey keep thinking is bad maybe is just not for you

that sounds horrible tbh.. if you've gone the AR way all you have to do is set up red mist.

• LugorsLugors Member UncommonPosts: 184

This game is definitely an acquired taste.  I like it because it is different.  The questing model is one of the best in the business, and really makes you think outside the box.  Going to unfair.com can spoil the missions for you, but taking the time to do them yourself is rewarding.

The common complaint is about the animations, but I couldn’t tell you what is wrong with them.  I don’t think they changed at all since the release.  Figure it’s like me trying explain why Skyrim was horrible because the controls were so console centric that I couldn’t get past them.  Everyone has their pet peeves on games. 

If the missions are excellent, the end game not so much.  It gets very very grindy, and takes a lot dungeon runs to upgrade your gear.  I know the biggest detraction for me was EA’s logo on the splash screen.  But EA was only the publisher, and not the developer, so you only feel a little dirty buying the game.

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643
    Story is second to none in TSW.
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Originally posted by Solar_Prophet

I can live with lackluster animations, but even beyond that combat is just... unwieldy. I've tried melee, magic, and ranged builds, and while I definitely like magic the best, it's still just not that much fun to kill things. Which, again, wouldn't be so bad... but they've got the game set up like a typical MMORPG with various creatures roaming around almost everywhere. Combat is an almost constant thing, and when its as lackluster as TSW's, that's a major problem.

There are 5 things that people frequently miss about combat:

1. You need to equip 2 weapons.  The training missions needs to be revamped (it makes it seem like you only need one weapon), but having one weapon will seriously gimp you.
    2. Understand that your actives and passives must work together.  Your passives must exploit the conditions your actives are triggering.  If you are triggering Weakened, look for passives to exploit Weakened.  Multiple passives can be triggered!
    3. Understand that your passives can be from ANY weapon, not just your equipped ones.  You can find conditions to exploit by using the search panel to the right of the wheel.
    4. Don't forget to upgrade your skill in your weapons and talismans so you can equip better QL items as they drop. 
    5. Don't forget to add glyphs and signets to your gear; they make a big difference

Oh, and crafting is... well it's just pointless and poorly done, IMO. Maybe it gets better later.

Crafting is really more of a utility skill in TSW, good for cooking up potions or glyphs, maybe the occasional weapon.  It is useful, but it's not a complete profession as in other MMOs.

While I appreciate the tips, I already know all that. I'm currently going with a variation of the elemental / blood magic intermediate build (neoshaman, I think) and combat is still just... clunky. It's not that I'm ineffective when it comes to killing things, it's that killing things feels incredibly tedious, and I find myself wishing I could just get on with the story without having to fight my way through a dozen cultists every fifty yards.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782
    The Longest Journey and Anarchy Online were such good games. How did they mess this up?
  • ReehayReehay Member Posts: 172

I am exactly the type of player that The Secret World should capture - a mature adult who favors am immersive atmosphere, setting and story over graphics and flashy combat, complex and deep character progression over cookie cutter boring spam three skills gameplay.

The Secret World just  fails to do any of that.  Ya, the combat is mediocre. But so is the rest.  I bought it for 5$ and I still cant muster enough interest to play it past my first week. 

After Funcom shit-birthed Age of Conan, I vowed never to give them another dime.. well they got my TSW 5$. shame on me.

Funcom is a mediocre, straight to FTP, C -, minor league, single a, game developer.  They should switch to making browser mobile games for my children.

that sounds horrible tbh.. if you've gone the AR way all you have to do is set up red mist.

Yep number 7 overall in Stonehenge won and what is ur stats about PVP in TSW

before u say something is horrible would be nice to know where u come from and who are you

i am http://chronicle.thesecretworld.com/character/Ngoc

and i have no problem using builds with no consumer/builder mentality

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Originally posted by Reehay

I am exactly the type of player that The Secret World should capture - a mature adult who favors am immersive atmosphere, setting and story over graphics and flashy combat, complex and deep character progression over cookie cutter boring spam three skills gameplay.

The Secret World just  fails to do any of that.  Ya, the combat is mediocre. But so is the rest.  I bought it for 5$ and I still cant muster enough interest to play it past my first week. 

After Funcom shit-birthed Age of Conan, I vowed never to give them another dime.. well they got my TSW 5$. shame on me.

Funcom is a mediocre, straight to FTP, C -, minor league, single a, game developer.  They should switch to making browser mobile games for my children.

Nah, your Funcom hate has just overtaken your life, that's all.

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967

The combat and animations in general are trash. Funcom is a shitty company, but everything else about TSW was pretty awesome. Loved (past tense because R.I.P. as far as I'm concerned) the questing, liked the dungeons up until a point and the story and atmosphere were engrossing.  If Funcom wasn't such a bunch of eff ups who knows where TSW could have been.

P.S. They completely and utterly shat on their PVP community.

"As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Originally posted by Magiknight
    The Longest Journey and Anarchy Online were such good games. How did they mess this up?

They didn't. It's a great game.

I can live with lackluster animations, but even beyond that combat is just... unwieldy. I've tried melee, magic, and ranged builds, and while I definitely like magic the best, it's still just not that much fun to kill things. Which, again, wouldn't be so bad... but they've got the game set up like a typical MMORPG with various creatures roaming around almost everywhere. Combat is an almost constant thing, and when its as lackluster as TSW's, that's a major problem.

There are 5 things that people frequently miss about combat:

1. You need to equip 2 weapons.  The training missions needs to be revamped (it makes it seem like you only need one weapon), but having one weapon will seriously gimp you.
    2. Understand that your actives and passives must work together.  Your passives must exploit the conditions your actives are triggering.  If you are triggering Weakened, look for passives to exploit Weakened.  Multiple passives can be triggered!
    3. Understand that your passives can be from ANY weapon, not just your equipped ones.  You can find conditions to exploit by using the search panel to the right of the wheel.
    4. Don't forget to upgrade your skill in your weapons and talismans so you can equip better QL items as they drop. 
    5. Don't forget to add glyphs and signets to your gear; they make a big difference

Oh, and crafting is... well it's just pointless and poorly done, IMO. Maybe it gets better later.

Crafting is really more of a utility skill in TSW, good for cooking up potions or glyphs, maybe the occasional weapon.  It is useful, but it's not a complete profession as in other MMOs.

While I appreciate the tips, I already know all that. I'm currently going with a variation of the elemental / blood magic intermediate build (neoshaman, I think) and combat is still just... clunky. It's not that I'm ineffective when it comes to killing things, it's that killing things feels incredibly tedious, and I find myself wishing I could just get on with the story without having to fight my way through a dozen cultists every fifty yards.

Skip the pre-made decks in the game and look for builds on the forums or create your own. Custom decks will always be better than the pre-mades.

• MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782

It's nothing like TLJ or AO

It's nothing like TLJ or AO

Yep it's a very different game. And also very good.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I tried twice to like the game but it was that one glaring mistake that EVERY game is doing that i do not like and bores me to death.

I might add that yes i love the idea behind the game ,IF done right but it was not.No matter what behind the scenes or anything done well,it is still a railroad linear game.

If a game is NOT designed to be YOUR game,you can role play anyway you want,then it is just a single player design with internet attached.When games are designed like this,there is not even any intrigue or discovery because i know i will be following these quests,so when i get there i'll get there.Then there is no randomness to the spawns,you are on a quest,they spawn right on que,you advance the quest and just continue on to the next phase.

Also a LOT of the areas seemed quite smallish,needing to zone into another zone without really seeing too much.I am sure there are some bigger zones with more than fake back drop buildings,but definitely not enough. That is another thing that bothers me ,it is sooooo obvious when developers are going cheap on a product,when i see tons of fake backdrop buildings.

The game if done right and more open ended and a team more dedicated to building a great game rather than a budget game,this game would have been REALLY good.In comparison,usually if a game is somewhat decent,it holds my interest for at least a few weeks maybe even a month,TSW never kept me interested in either try more than a few days to a week.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

sorry but here the problem is all your...

you look for a sandbox type of RPG and buy a Story driven RPG?

story driven cannot be open because everybody have to go through the story or u pay 233534654 writer to write 2343453 story and make a huge container we are talking about impossible here

TSW was always a story driven RPG actually was suppose to evolve depending from the preference of players picking one or the other side in the main quest line

you look for a totally different game a player based driven content and you assume that only that is a real RPG calling a story driven single player that is absolutely not true.

for me RPG exist as long as the character evolve not only as strength but as story as well or as part of community there are many way to make RPG and story driven is one of them sandbox is another and community base another again guild vs guild or real vs real... many option all RPG as long as the character is not stuck in the story like in a FPS

but i won't change your mind thinking that u are wrong instead of TSW being wrong so i don't bother