Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ultima Online: Mythic & Broadsword Online Games Partner for UO Development

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In addition to the exciting news that Mythic and Broadsword Online Entertainment have teamed up for Dark Age of Camelot, it has also been announced that the same partnership will be in place for the continued development of Ultima Online. EA, as stated, will continue billing and account services.

Beginning February 1st, 2014, Mythic Entertainment Co-Founder Rob Denton’s new studio: Broadsword Online Games (http://www.broadsword.com) will partner with EA’s Mythic Entertainment to operate, support and develop Ultima Online on EA’s behalf.  Electronic Arts will continue to provide billing and account services through its Origin™ portal.   Broadsword and Electronic Arts will work closely together to ensure a bright future for Ultima Online.  For future inquiries and support, you can contact [email protected].

The UO team will continue to work as hard as ever under our new banner.  In the immediate future, we will be putting out a publish for Valentine’s Day and a few bug fixes, along with polishing a final release of Vendor Search.   I will be putting out a list very soon of all the features we will be working on this year to get everyone’s feedback as well as some updates regarding our ongoing projects.

Read more on the Ultima Online site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    If they'd port it to facebook it could have 60 million new cash shop participants.
  • FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398
    Why in gods name wont they do a "remake" / modernized (in terms of grahpics etc) UO...
    http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849

I doubt they could port it facebook, they could stream it to facebook though, i guess.

i am not sure how the monetization would look like in that case.

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by Fusion
    Why in gods name wont they do a "remake" / modernized (in terms of grahpics etc) UO...

Wish they would. Update the graphics, UI, etc. and re-release it. I still pay for my account for my keep, lol.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• JJ82JJ82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

Why in Gods name would you ask for that when its no longer in the hands of those that made the game?!? You are asking for what happened to Asherons Call 2 all over again. New people have different ideas and we would end up with something very unlike the original game.

Besides they CANT. While they may have the rights to the "Ultima Series", they don't have the rights to several of the characters like Lord British which is still owned by Garriott. They have to get permission from him to use them.

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

• AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    Looks promising for UO, not many games have been able to immerse me in their world like UO did back in the day.
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • umcorianumcorian Member UncommonPosts: 519
    Originally posted by Ice-Queen

Wish they would. Update the graphics, UI, etc. and re-release it. I still pay for my account for my keep, lol.

The only thing I can think of is they'd probably owe Richard Garriott a bunch in royalties if they made a new game based on Ultima Online. Forget the fact it would probably still make them a fortune. 

If there's one thing EA knows best, it's how to be cheap pricks. They stick to what they know. 

• Hephaestus_XiiHephaestus_Xii Member Posts: 21

They need to the market is really lacking some good games right now all hope is on ESO and EQN

Sabotage Gaming TS3 Open To All Gamer's

Teamspeak IP. 162.243.205.195
  • stonyleinstonylein Member UncommonPosts: 88
    uo2 would be crazy
  • DenambrenDenambren Member UncommonPosts: 399

UO2 was slated for release a while back (announced in 1999), and then was cancelled by EA. I still have the PC Gamer magazine with UO2 on the front cover.

The motion capture detail and combat move variations for UO2 still look better than games released today:

• RajCajRajCaj Member UncommonPosts: 704
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Why would EA outsource their development work for UO and DAoC?

Thats what I'm curious about....

I can understand outsourcing the development (solution design / development) of DAoC, with it being a new game.  EA might feel that they need to bring in a vision & talent outside of the company to do it right, given how competitive modern MMOs are today.

But Ultima Online, I can't understand.....UO is in cash cow status for EA.  I can't imagine that EA is spending a lot of money developing for a technology that is limited in how sophisticated & complex (relatively speaking) it can get.

I wonder if Broadsword will also be given free reigns on the direction of the game....or are they just taking marching orders from EA and doing the leg work for them.

Here is to hoping that some of that creative liberty has been given to Broadsword.  I know EA was completely against creating a classic server...would be nice if Broadsword revisits that prospect.

• TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Why would EA outsource their development work for UO and DAoC?

Well, they haven't been developed for in years.