Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subscription Question

MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362

If someone pays for a sub and plays on a PC copy, and they buy a copy of the PS4 version, can they play that too, or are they required to pay for 2 subs?

Thanks.

Comments

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583
    They haven't said either way yet
  • MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362

Well, that would explain why I can't find it anywhere.

I hope it's just one sub for both. That way people would just need to buy a copy for the platform in question and still just pay one sub. It's bad enough that the servers are separated.

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583
    Originally posted by Margrave

Well, that would explain why I can't find it anywhere.

I hope it's just one sub for both. That way people would just need to buy a copy for the platform in question and still just pay one sub. It's bad enough that the servers are separated.

I'm in the same boat. I have a RL friend who only plays games on consoles and I would like to be able to play with him on my ps4 without being forced to pay twice the monthly fee

Same EXACT story here. Sigh.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

I knew about the megaserver separation. I think it's kind of sad personally. Database is database.

I'm not wondering if I could play on PC with someone on PS4. My curousity was if I buy a copy of the software for pc AND ps4 if it could be just one sub. If they make it two separate subs, well then I'll only be buying one copy.

If the one sub account could log into any platform it would result in more box sales. I think it would be a better business decision personally.

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995

I knew about the megaserver separation. I think it's kind of sad personally. Database is database.

I'm not wondering if I could play on PC with someone on PS4. My curousity was if I buy a copy of the software for pc AND ps4 if it could be just one sub. If they make it two separate subs, well then I'll only be buying one copy.

If the one sub account could log into any platform it would result in more box sales. I think it would be a better business decision personally.

I thought I read a customer service chat transcript that said you would have to purchase a subscription for each platform.  However, it is possible that I am not remember correctly and I don't really care enough to research it.  Take it for what it's worth... not all that much.

• JaknifeJaknife Member Posts: 51

On the help.elderscrollsonline.com site it says :

• Will I be able to play with my friends that are playing on different platforms?
    •  
    • The megaserver technology featured in The Elder Scrolls Online will allow PC (Windows OS) players and Mac players to play together. Xbox One players will play on a specific megaserver with other players using an Xbox One. PlayStation 4 players will have a specific megaserver dedicated to only those players using a PS4.

Which would mean they are 100% seperated.

The question then, would be, is the lock at login stage (i.e when you actually log in), or at client stage. (i.e PS4 client is hard coded to point to the console servers).

I would think it would be client locked, rather than login locked.
    You would probably have to add both keys to seperate accounts, 1 for the PC, and 1 for the console.
    Otherwise it would be confusing to maintain, having 2 keys on the same account, the question is if you did have 2 keys on the 1 account, how would it authenticate ? would it  be a single authentication server for both platforms, or (more than likely), a seperate one per megaserver.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

If someone pays for a sub and plays on a PC copy, and they buy a copy of the PS4 version, can they play that too, or are they required to pay for 2 subs?

Thanks.

Of course you have to pay 2 subs if you have two copies of the game, they are two different accounts. why should you get a sub free version?

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SuperNickSuperNick Member UncommonPosts: 460

They're definitely going to be two separate servers, with characters tied to each server.

Now if you look at it from standard MMO terms, this means the console server is just "another server". Traditionally all MMOs let you play on any server you want for a subscription, you just don't get to use the same character.

There is no issue (from a technology perspective) allowing you to have a primary account that ties together these two servers under one account.

The problem however is the loss of money. If someone could just buy a cheap PC copy and play on console versions with it, who would ever bother buying the console version?

In that light, it is HIGHLY unlikely you're going to see them allow for one copy to be played across two platforms. And if you need separate copies of the game then it's likely you will need two subscriptions for the game.

However, that said, I could see a model where as long as you buy both copies of the game, they can both be tied to the same sub.. a sort of middle ground if you will.

• JaknifeJaknife Member Posts: 51
    Originally posted by cura

Thanks.

I assume its two copies, two accounts, two subs

It doesn't work like that with Final Fantasy XIV.

You buy 2 copies of the game, but only need a single subscription, as the all platforms play together.

• SuperNickSuperNick Member UncommonPosts: 460
    Platforms aren't shared in this.

I wasn't talking about accessing characters from one platform to another.

PC created characters stay on PC, console ones stay on console.

I'm also not talking about multiboxing. One paid account should be able to log into any version of the software. To run said software, you should have to purchase the software for the platform in question.

This would mean if little Billy wants to play with his buddy on PS4, but Billy has been playing on his PC copy, he would need to buy a copy of the game for PS4. Since he already is paying a sub for PC his account could still log into the PS4 version. He just has to start over on the PS4 servers to play with his buddy.

I'm NOT saying you should get to download a copy for free. You should have to buy a boxed copy for whatever platform you're wanting to run it on.

This would result in more box sales. GW2 has already shown that box sales make a huge difference.

UPDATE: Typed too fast, left a word out.

• PyatraPyatra Member Posts: 644
    Originally posted by SuperNick
    Platforms aren't shared in this.

Agreed, each version is optimized for PC or Console, they aren't trying to fit the square peg in the round hole on this one.  Basically everyone has a even "control" setup to the people they are playing against.  Allows for better balancing.  Also the cost associated with hosting that many overlaps would probably require not free but more like adding another subscription at a discount... maybe we will see it later but at launch they probably won't have things setup for this.