Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Early signs that the Imperial Edition is selling very well

Comments

• zimikezimike Member UncommonPosts: 160
    Originally posted by Pyatra
    Originally posted by SlyLoK
    Originally posted by Karteli

Selling more CE's is likely what Zenimax was expecting.  The unknown factor though is how many potential buyers for the standard edition got put back on the fence, after perceiving Zenimax differently.  This would keep standard-edition sales low.

Everything can be put with a spin.  For instance, another big IP that got hyped up a couple years ago limited their CE's .. and sold out like 5 times or so, just for the free press releases.  CE's were plentiful after launch in that case, and even went to retailers to be liquidated 50-80% off (6 months post-launch); there was way to many produced.

VGChartz may be useful for comparison, although if I recall it is for US data only.  (http://www.vgchartz.com/preorders/)

I think if the CE put people on the fence then I think they were probably on the fence to begin with. For me I was going to buy it anyway and the perks for CE is just a bonus. There is just to much fun to be had to let that stand in your way when there is no disadvantage in gameplay for not having the CE.

Holy $#!^ man!  Check the weekending on that, that's before the CE annoucement.  Those numbers are the ones that had already preordered from Amazon and other retailers before they had any information or even officially announced the preorder..

I wouldn't be surprised if on that website the game topped the charts by the end of the week. So many people have criticized limiting the Imperial Race to the CE box, but this was a genius move! All those people crying about it are now buying the CE box. Its funny how those to complain the most end up buying the game in the end.

• TedronaiTedronai Member UncommonPosts: 67
    Originally posted by blaster101
    Originally posted by Tedronai

I also bought the CE digital now from gmg with the 20% coupon and registered my code but didn't see any message about it being a CE code, only headstart.

But that's maybe working as intended?

I had the same question, here's the answer :

"Thank you for contacting us. To clarify if you purchase the Imperial Edition the following will happen. It will not appear in your purchased games till the full key is issued. When the full key is issued it will provide you with the additional items the Imperial Edition has. All users shall receive the Explores pack not matter which version the bought. Hope this helps."

Yeah got similar response. And also got a response from gmg stating that they will send out the CE keys closer to launch.

• McShanusMcShanus Member UncommonPosts: 26

I believe the ESO Imperial Edition actually sold out within 24 hours in Australia (might just be Victoria, not 100% sure)

And you've got to love the scalper that bought 99 copies and is flogging them off for AU$399.99  >:( Parasite

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796
    Originally posted by Asheram
    Originally posted by rodarin
    Originally posted by Iselin

Was there something in response to my post that you meant to say before you took off in your usual tangent?

Yes how you said they described 'every MMO player'.

You were semi correct but you left out the part that I filled in. That it doesnt matter now if they quit or not the companies have your money before the game is released.

So until people stop buying games they dont know anything about before theyre released it will continue.

I bought the game and was in the beta so I knew stuff about it, what now Mr armchair prophet?

Same.  I think we're supposed to just sit back and chuckle with the rest, though.  This is srsbsns.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    It's obvious that the game will sell well, they are canibalising a very popular IP after all. Just like NWN and SW:TOR did really well at release by canibalising their respective IPs.
  • PigozzPigozz Member UncommonPosts: 886

Ofcourse it sells well

It follows the exact scenario of AoC and SWTOR

I think I actually spent way more time reading and theorycrafting about MMOs than playing them

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855
    Originally posted by keithian
    Originally posted by ThomasN7
    It will sell well for the first 3 months but after that my prediction is people will come to their senses and realize how it isn't anything special for the long term. Good for 2-3 months and people will want to look elsewhere. At least that is my opinion.

maybe you are questing with the wrong people so thats why it doesn't feel special. Perhaps if you quested with me you'll feel like the game is very special lol.

altough i think you mean this in a funny way i think you are absolutely right........playing with the right people CAN make a difference (that or i am just to old school i guess.....i used to roleplay so much back in the days...hehe).

• otacuotacu Member UncommonPosts: 547
    Originally posted by Fendel84M
    Originally posted by funyahns
    Originally posted by rygard49
    Originally posted by Purutzil
    Originally posted by psiic
    Originally posted by rygard49
    Originally posted by Purutzil

That and since Imperial Edition is selling a race (which btw, is scummy as all hell for a box/sub game) its quite likely people even remotely thinking of the game who (stupidly) don't want to miss out on something (that shouldn't be there) will buy the game in order to avoid missing out.

Honest question, why do you think it's scummy to add a race in a Collector's Edition?

The real question is, is everyone such liars and hatemongers these days that they will continue to try and make an issue about the imperial race, when their real hate-monging is over the subscription based model.

Um... I actually a subscriber for FF14 right now... my disdain is for the selling of a race on a sub game.  Nice attempt to sidestep the issue by trying to make it about something else though instead of ignoring the fact they are trying to screw over the CONSUMER. 

You can like a game and hate what a company is doing to try to cash in more profit from its players you know. There is nothing saying you have to be a loyal fanboy to terrible business practices. You can like a game a hate what they do with it for money, just as someone can hate a game and like what they are doing as far as supporting a consumer goes.

This post still leaves me curious. Why specifically do you think having a race attached to a CE is 'scummy' and screws over the consumer? Is it simply because something that you want is locked behind a price higher than you're willing to pay, or are there other issues at play that color your opinion?

Why is it scummy?  You know this has been answered a thousand times.  Do you think people who lie are scummy?  If you say you are going the sub route because you don't want to have pay gates for content.   Then turn around and do the complete opposite.... People keep confusing the issue as being about money, when its more about trust.  Remember when factions absolutely had to be locked? Well unless you pay to open that too.

A race isn't really content... it's fluff really. 

OMG what has ZENIMAX done to us

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Yes, it's sad really when you join a mmoRPG forum and you read stuff like "a race is not content".

Well, if a race is not content, no harm is done by removing the Nords then, right?

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Originally posted by Fendel84M
    The average gamer has no idea why they are supposed to be mad about it. The impression you get on these forums is so far off from what normal video game consumers think. This game won't have any trouble doing well at all.

Fixed that up a bit. According to the people here, every single game that isn't EQ1, SWG, or EVE Online is crap, and aren't 'really' MMOs. Oh, and WoW is of course the harbinger of suffering and doom to the genre.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• coventryhagdogcoventryhagdog Member Posts: 85

I find it depressing that the 'get this in-game advantage by order X edition' worked.

• otacuotacu Member UncommonPosts: 547
    Originally posted by Xasapis

Yes, it's sad really when you join a mmoRPG forum and you read stuff like "a race is not content".

Well, if a race is not content, no harm is done by removing the Nords then, right?

Why removing the Nords? just put them in the cash shop for 20$.

Since they are just fluff i'm sure nobody will mind. Only the haters and the cheapskate

Originally posted by captainamazing57

In hindsight they should have included all the perks and just charged everybody an extra $20 for the standard edition. 

That would've been too honest for Zenimax.

$80 for standard edition

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Originally posted by ThomasN7
    It will sell well for the first 3 months but after that my prediction is people will come to their senses and realize how it isn't anything special for the long term. Good for 2-3 months and people will want to look elsewhere. At least that is my opinion.

What do you want, a game you can play forever without getting bored? sorry but those days are over. There are too many games on the market nowadays to just play one game for years.

Originally posted by coventryhagdog

I find it depressing that the 'get this in-game advantage by order X edition' worked.

If you're not going to be playing the game it shouldn't bother you.

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123
    Originally posted by nerovipus32

What about people that we're going to be playing the game and are bothered by this? Are their points relevant or not?

If I were a complete idiot who didn't realize that consumer preferences determined demand curves and thus what companies are going to try and supply, you'd have a point.

Of course it's selling well, It's the Elder scrolls.

If I were a complete idiot who didn't realize that consumer preferences determined demand curves and thus what companies are going to try and supply, you'd have a point.

So you want to control consumer preference then?

Who doesn't?

Who doesn't?

I don't, i only care about my own preference. If i don't like something i'll find something else that interests me. I am not going to waste energy trying to convince people that my opinion is right and theirs is wrong.

• BlackWatchBlackWatch Member UncommonPosts: 972

Opinions aren't right or wrong... they are just opinions.  

I like that this is a place that we can all come to share ours.  

I will at least check this game out.  If nothing else, it will be another Collector's Edition box for the book shelf.  Well... I guess I need to get another book shelf or 3, though.  The collection of Collector's Editions continues to grow. 

Who doesn't?

I don't, i only care about my own preference. If i don't like something i'll find something else that interests me. I am not going to waste energy trying to convince people that my opinion is right and theirs is wrong.

Kind of a nifty strawman, but no.

Consumer preferences should concern you. If people were willing to pay top currency for tepid water, you'd be caring.

If people were willing to pay top currency for a loaf of bread, you'd be caring.

It's ridiculous to think that somehow the prices you pay for goods aren't relevant, unless you're a Sheik, or Bill Gates.

Who doesn't?

Kind of a nifty strawman, but no.

Consumer preferences should concern you. If people were willing to pay top currency for tepid water, you'd be caring.

If people were willing to pay top currency for a loaf of bread, you'd be caring.

It's ridiculous to think that somehow the prices you pay for goods aren't relevant, unless you're a Sheik, or Bill Gates.

But it doesn't matter because you can't control them. It's a waste of energy.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Anyone who didn't expect it to sell well would have been an idiot.

That being said, I wouldn't read too much into the Australian CE, we always get the short end of the stick with CE box numbers and sell out within a day.  I usually have to order from nearby countries.

Also... WTF ;that first article. Is it seriously trying to draw conclusions from a company that only sold 1,525 copies?  Some journalists really do have no shame.

We will find out soon enough how many they sold. If its more than recent games (SWTOR, GW2) I expect them to be shouting from the rooftops about how popular they are.

But it doesn't matter because you can't control them. It's a waste of energy.

Trying to control them is one thing, being emotionally affected is another.

If everybody liked a flavor of ice cream you didn't, so they stopped producing your favorite, it would and should make you unhappy.

If you don't like ice cream, I can no longer consider you to be a valid human being.