Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Repopulation: January Update Celebrates KickStarter Success & More

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The latest development update has been posted on The Repopulation's site. In it, the team reveals just how successful its recent KickStarter campaign was and that January was a banner month for promoting the game around the world. In addition, the usual amazing list of fixes, enhancements and feature alterations has been posted.

The first month of 2014 is in the books, and it was one of our more exciting months. Our Kickstarter campaign came to a close after generating a better than expected $176,525. In the process we knocked down ten stretch goals which will brought mounts into the game and in the future will result in Adversarial Camps, Points of Intrigue, Cooperative Structure Placement, Traveling Shops, Unique Renaming of Items and PvP Gladiator Tournaments in both player and NPC cities.  We're excited about all of these features, and can't wait to see them in game. An eleventh stretch goal, a customizable XML User Interface is likely also to become a reality through the Early Adopter store on the web site.

Read the full update on The Repopulation's site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• BacchiraBacchira Member Posts: 50
    Sounds cool but:
    " You can now use the /stick command to stick to mobs in melee range. This allows melee classes to stick close to fleeing mobs or players."

What the heck?
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Well done ABT, I am happy for them.

In less than 3 years and with very little money they made a game that could be a cult game like EvE.

I can't wait to play Beta, if I get the invite :(

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640

Really annoys me how these indie studios are able to go back to the free money teat over and over without ever meeting their promised deadlines from their first cash grabs.

Totally lost faith in kickstarter and only kicking myself for ever falling for it in the first place.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by psiic

Really annoys me how these indie studios are able to go back to the free money teat over and over without ever meeting their promised deadlines from their first cash grabs.

Totally lost faith in kickstarter and only kicking myself for ever falling for it in the first place.

^^This^^ though thankfully, I didn't hear about the game until a few months after the first Kickstarter. Glad I didn't see it and pledge, because it's annoying that Kickstarter campaigns keep coming back begging for more money before delivering the original promised game. That keeps me from backing many Kickstarters.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• JestorRodoJestorRodo Member UncommonPosts: 2,642

In the light of SOE Gesturing and  proclamations that the SWG  players will be coming home  ( it sort of sounds like that cult with the Kool-aids and tennis shoes), I for one, am proud that there will be a sandbox alternative with the Repopulation.

Now on other threads here , it has been discuss both pro and con about the possibility of another Sci-fi Sandbox with or without the Star War IP , with or Without SOE but to be honest it is pretty much talk. It is the old bird in the hand, so that is why I handed the booster months ago to The Repopulation.

Unaware of the Jestor?
    http://about.me/JestorRodo/

Friends enjoy his classic Vblog - https://www.facebook.com/GoodOldReliableNathan

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Ice-Queen

^^This^^ though thankfully, I didn't hear about the game until a few months after the first Kickstarter. Glad I didn't see it and pledge, because it's annoying that Kickstarter campaigns keep coming back begging for more money before delivering the original promised game. That keeps me from backing many Kickstarters.

It's going to change. This may or may not be the title that it will happen with, but sooner or later, once players start getting burned and are out hundreds, Crowd Funding will not be the fountain of money it is now.

Originally posted by GeezerGamer

It's going to change. This may or may not be the title that it will happen with, but sooner or later, once players start getting burned and are out hundreds, Crowd Funding will not be the fountain of money it is now.

Good point, after getting burned a few times the gravy train will be over.

Dark Age of Camelot

• DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963

What promised deadlines show me??? This company has said from day one there are NOO...............Dead lines tired of you people whining, you whine about everything please go find a less stressful hobby if your going to whine.

I wonder why Indies are fed up making MMO's.!!! I for one, wont be apart of a MMO again, to many whiners!!!!

LOL....Jump!

An good MMOs are going to end, so it will be people that whines fault, we donors know this can happen and will.. But this game has not broken and promises, show me one... They have always said no dead line period..... 

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Darkcrystal

An good MMOs are going to end, so it will be people that whines fault, we donors know this can happen and will.. But this game has not broken and promises, show me one... They have always said no dead line period..... 

Keeping in the context of my post that you quoted, can you please rephrase your statement in such a way that I understand?

Sorry, when I read your post it seems like you are trying to defend The Repopulation instead of Crowd Funding as a whole which is what I was talking about.

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

What deadline did they miss?  I would like you to point me at the reference for this.  Because right now your post is not making any sense.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

Originally posted by Hatefull

What deadline did they miss?  I would like you to point me at the reference for this.  Because right now your post is not making any sense.

"Even without kickstarter we are planning a launch in 2013 with all the features listed."

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/therepopulation/the-repopulation

Dark Age of Camelot

• MarlonBMarlonB Member UncommonPosts: 526

"Even without kickstarter we are planning a launch in 2013 with all the features listed."

That was a rough estimate 1.5 years ago, nothing close to a deadline. Motto has always been it is done when it's done. And I support that, much rather than to see yet another half finished product being released.

The first KS raised 53K ... and it has lasted them 1.5 years. That is 53K for salaries, licences and contractors work. I seriously do not comprehend why anyone would be nagging about this ... the average MMO nerd makes this in wages per year. You should be applauding the effeciency they have been working with.

Heck, 53K didn't even pay for one day of work on SWTOR.

Finally, all crowdfunding games have their webshops open ALL the time, you can go fund whenever you want. How is that different from using Kickstarter as a means? Kickstarter  2014 was chosen to define clear stretch goals to include features that were planned for after release. If you look at these goals, they are set very moderatly (compared to another few kickstarters out there).

All "promised" features +  more from the previous kickstarter are already build into the game, as the many trailers can show you.

• sumo0sumo0 Member UncommonPosts: 115
    Let's be honest here.
    The more traditional type of investor who invest 100's of thousands into a game stand the chance to get burned aswell. Atleast when we get "burned" it's no more than 50 bucks tops (except for the higher donors which are not the majority).
    I-N-V-E-S-T-M-E-N-T!

Anything that is not done yet can fail because of many reasons.
    Originally posted by MarlonB

That was a rough estimate 1.5 years ago, nothing close to a deadline. Motto has always been it is done when it's done. And I support that, much rather than to see yet another half finished product being released.

The first KS raised 53K ... and it has lasted them 1.5 years. That is 53K for salaries, licences and contractors work. I seriously do not comprehend why anyone would be nagging about this ... the average MMO nerd makes this in wages per year. You should be applauding the effeciency they have been working with.

Finally, all crowdfunding games have their webshops open ALL the time, you can go fund whenever you want. How is that different from using Kickstarter as a means? Kickstarter  2014 was chosen to define clear stretch goals to include features that were planned for after release. If you look at these goals, they are set very moderatly (compared to another few kickstarters out there).

All "promised" features +  more from the previous kickstarter are already build into the game, as the many trailers can show you.

Hey, they asked  where did they ever miss a deadline and I posted it. Rough estimate or not they said 2013 Kick starter or not, missed the deadline, didn't release the game with features promised. Instead came back to beg for money from Kick starter.

I could care less how little they've been working for, they knew or should have known they'd be working on it on their own time and money. They're the ones that wanted to make the project and knew they'd be working out of pocket and decided to beg for money twice. Fact is, they missed the deadline given, didn't deliver, instead came back begging for more money from Kickstar.

Dark Age of Camelot

Hey, they asked  where did they ever miss a deadline and I posted it. Rough estimate or not they said 2013 Kick starter or not, missed the deadline, didn't release the game with features promised. Instead came back to beg for money from Kick starter.

I could care less how little they've been working for, they knew or should have known they'd be working on it on their own time and money. They're the ones that wanted to make the project and knew they'd be working out of pocket and decided to beg for money twice. Fact is, they missed the deadline given, didn't deliver, instead came back begging for more money from Kickstar.

You're a little ray of sunshine, aren't ya :)

Unlike you, there are people that want to help Indies succeed in bringing new games to the market. Those people also realise that making a game within 50K budget and 1.5 years is not realistic. Those people also know that deadlines are never made and was set because Kickstarter wants it. At that time it seemed an achievable goal ( blame it on their inexperience being an Indie).

The Repopulation was already in many awards lists, been on several large gameshows and has shown it's work openly. Yet you keep bringing the argument back to something futile.You can argue about it as much as you want, fact is the Repopulation has a large following as it's doing something others couldn't.

They don't have a marketing department ... they don't have a famous name like "McQuaid"... yet they have been in the MMORPG top 10-list for 90% of the time in the past 1,5 years and one of the fastest Greenlit games ever. Also hauling in almost 200K in a second kickstarter should give you a clue that people are WILLING to invest in this game.

Unlike you, there are people that want to help Indies succeed in bringing new games to the market. Those people also realise that making a game within 50K budget and 1.5 years is not realistic. Those people also know that deadlines are never made and was set because Kickstarter wants it. At that time it seemed an achievable goal ( blame it on their inexperience being an Indie).

The Repopulation was already in many awards lists, been on several large gameshows and has shown it's work openly. Yet you keep bringing the argument back to something futile.You can argue about it as much as you want, fact is the Repopulation has a large following as it's doing something others couldn't.

They don't have a marketing department ... they don't have a famous name like "McQuaid"... yet they have been in the MMORPG top 10-list for 90% of the time in the past 1,5 years and one of the fastest Greenlit games ever. Also hauling in almost 200K in a second kickstarter should give you a clue that people are WILLING to invest in this game.

Thats nothing to do with my answer to the question I answered. You're deflecting from that fact and trying to justify it.

Dark Age of Camelot

Thats nothing to do with my answer to the question I answered. You're deflecting from that fact and trying to justify it.

In fact I disagree with it being a fact. Because factually, without trying to deflect, it isn't. Isn't that justified?

Eventhough there are so many things going for this game and crowdfunding, you keep reverting to one futility ... a release date. As you stated correctly, you answered your question, I disagree with the answer being a fact, and from your post history I quickly concluded we will probably never agree. I'm fine with that and done with it.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Rather a silly argument.  There are really no statistics out yet, but you can bet money on the fact that most of these developers will never achieve anything close to what they promised.  I expect that will be the case with this game too.  I noticed in another thread someone said they gave $250 to McQuaids game.  Given McQuaids past history that is a very risky gamble.

If you are going to throw money at a kickstarter campaign, you should only do it with the thought that you probably won't get it back.  If you have money to throw away like that, have at it, but if the kids need new shoes, perhaps you should rethink that decision.