Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Am i Buying into 1 or 2 games

Swids2010Swids2010 Member Posts: 244

Im trying to clarify something and not really sure if I buy into the alpha of Landmark say I buy the $99 pack this gets me into the alpha of landmark I understand this but does this also mean when next comes round ive bought into that too or when that gets to alpha will it be the case of buying a separate $99 founders pack for next.

Comments

• GrahorGrahor Member Posts: 828

>>will it be the case of buying a separate $99 founders pack for next.<<

Yes, it will be the case of buying a separate $99 founders pack for next.

And you really should do it. That would be $200 you'll spend on 2 F2P games. Which, obviously, will allow me to play them completely for free. For which I'm grateful to you. Thank you for your generosity, my dear whale. It's people like you who make F2P possible. I salute you!

• WindamereWindamere Member UncommonPosts: 75
    Neither, you are only paying to get access to a game that has already been said will launch as F2P
    Don't listen to him! Just think of it: you want the game now, right? Now! NOOOOOOOAAAAOOOW! And not "in 2 months, when bugs are fixed and servers are stable", correct? So you HAVE to pay now! What's a $100, you can't buy anything for $100, but you can buy happiness! So just do it, allright? Do it. DO IT!
  • apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by Grahor
    Don't listen to him! Just think of it: you want the game now, right? Now! NOOOOOOOAAAAOOOW! And not "in 2 months, when bugs are fixed and servers are stable", correct? So you HAVE to pay now! What's a $100, you can't buy anything for $100, but you can buy happiness! So just do it, allright? Do it. DO IT!

I'm happy to suppor welfare gamers. 

Op he was being silly but he wasn't wrong. Each will have seperate

packs. 

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

you can spend 100, 60, or 20 on each would be my guess.  (EQN doesnt have prices released yet)  in the landmark realm, the 20 gets you into beta sooner but not alpha.

I personally have no trouble paying for something that i'll be using for 20 hours a week, because i'm not keen on freeloading, nor am I in dire enough financial straits to need to play for free.  So i spent 60 and i'll probably do the same on eqn.

It's a shame i will be supporting douches like those in this thread who revel in getting subsidized by other gamers, but eh.  I know there are folks who really cant afford a sub, and those folks i dont mind helping and like to think that if i was in bad shape, they'd do the same for me.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

You're also forgetting the fact that Trailblazers will get early access to the live servers. By the time the others get in, all the good spots have been claimed and often in these kind of games, those "premium" spots near the hubs are priceless.

The captain also mentioned the templates. That's a good point. Those with good templates for sale in the Player Studio at the beginning will probably be making more money than those who add theirs later, since by that time there is so much stuff to choose from the money will be inevitably divided over more players.

• blastermasterblastermaster Member UncommonPosts: 259
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

Those who make fun of us who paid for alpha/beta access forget one thing, as I already said in numerous other threads.

We also get early access to the game, since everything we build, we can save as templates which we can use again in closed beta, open beta and after release, and which we will be able to sell to other players for real cash via player studio.

We basically have several months of advantage to get used to the game and prepare our templates for sale at release.

And of course, we get a few quite useful items too.

I think that's definitely worth the $60 I've paid so far, and the $100 it will become because I'm most likely going to upgrade my Explorer pack to a Trailblazer one.

Can you guys explain to me then, why is it that people made a big fuss about the TESO Pre-orders/CE? 

They give no distinct gameplay advantage, mostly cosmetic stuff, but they also give a nice "perk" to people really interested in the game (for once).  Yet many were crying that they were cash grabs and were not  "fair" ? 

With EQNL, You say yourself that you get a clear advantage over others, not just by giving you experience with the game, but with early access (to get the best claims), and with in game items that give you an edge over the rest. I would think it's even worse because people who are interested in this game are pretty much forced to shell the 100$ if they want to be competitive no? And 100$ for a free game, seems a lot worse to me than being "forced" to pre-order a game that someone would end up paying the same price anyways...?

BTW, I don't have anything against either games (still having that internal argument to go all in for EQNL), I just want to understand what's the train of thoughts behind making one ok, and the other not.. been trying to figure it out all weekend while checking the threads and streams for EQNL, and I'm probably really slow and dumb, so I never actually figured it out.. so I guess I would like to have someone explain it clearly (and respectfully) if possible  ! Thanks!

• MarkusrindMarkusrind Member Posts: 359

The whole things about best claims I find odd. I mean, anywhere within your claim you can buld and delete as you see fit. So if your claim is in the middle of a desert or the top of a mountain makes no difference. just delete what is there and build what you want.

Also, at the moment there is limited space and the spacings, numbers per island/server, plot sizes etc... are all yet to de finalised so at the moment it feels crowded simply because there are limits due to hardware availability.

Either way, what I have currently seen is great and the future of this game is going to be amazing.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

ESO is a sub game

most ftp games offer advantages thru cash

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Originally posted by blaster101

Those who make fun of us who paid for alpha/beta access forget one thing, as I already said in numerous other threads.

We also get early access to the game, since everything we build, we can save as templates which we can use again in closed beta, open beta and after release, and which we will be able to sell to other players for real cash via player studio.

We basically have several months of advantage to get used to the game and prepare our templates for sale at release.

I think that's definitely worth the $60 I've paid so far, and the $100 it will become because I'm most likely going to upgrade my Explorer pack to a Trailblazer one.

Can you guys explain to me then, why is it that people made a big fuss about the TESO Pre-orders/CE? 

They give no distinct gameplay advantage, mostly cosmetic stuff, but they also give a nice "perk" to people really interested in the game (for once).  Yet many were crying that they were cash grabs and were not  "fair" ? 

With EQNL, You say yourself that you get a clear advantage over others, not just by giving you experience with the game, but with early access (to get the best claims), and with in game items that give you an edge over the rest. I would think it's even worse because people who are interested in this game are pretty much forced to shell the 100$ if they want to be competitive no? And 100$ for a free game, seems a lot worse to me than being "forced" to pre-order a game that someone would end up paying the same price anyways...?

BTW, I don't have anything against either games (still having that internal argument to go all in for EQNL), I just want to understand what's the train of thoughts behind making one ok, and the other not.. been trying to figure it out all weekend while checking the threads and streams for EQNL, and I'm probably really slow and dumb, so I never actually figured it out.. so I guess I would like to have someone explain it clearly (and respectfully) if possible  ! Thanks!

Very simple.

ESO gives something not only essential to the game, a race, but also makes it unavailable to those who don't buy a collector edition, with the NDA still up too less than 2 months before release, all that in a subscription based game.

EQNL gives nothing that the players can not earn in game themself without any additional cost, even though it will be a F2P game at release and they could actually have done that because of their income model. And there's no more NDA, people know exactly what they are getting into by pre-purchasing. SOE also offers 100% refund with no questions asked if you buy and don't like what you experience.

That's why I support one game and not the other one.

You have got to be joking.

Had Imperials not been a playable race, no one would have batted an eye. They're not essential at all.

You also are stating that you will have, not only an in-game advantage in EQL, but a real life monetary advantage because of the advance time you spent in Alpha/Beta . . . and yet you STILL think that's okay compared to a race (which is just a skin!) that doesn't impact gameplay. What the what is going on here?

The whole NDA thing is a red herring, who cares? People buy games before they come out without playing them all the time . . . as in just about every single player game ever - including TES series. I wonder how many people who buy those sight unseen, are whining about TESO's NDA. On top of that, there's nothing to protect in EQL.

At least my views are consistent, I think it's fine for Zenimax to offer a race as a bonus and I also think it's fine for EQL to offer Alpha for $100 (which, happens to be the cost of the Physical Imperial CE). It's totally fine if you simply don't like/want to play a game, but this attitude of trying to tear down other games while acting like the games you do like are benevolent charities is mind boggling.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    Originally posted by Rusque

You have got to be joking.

Had Imperials not been a playable race, no one would have batted an eye. They're not essential at all.

You also are stating that you will have, not only an in-game advantage in EQL, but a real life monetary advantage because of the advance time you spent in Alpha/Beta . . . and yet you STILL think that's okay compared to a race (which is just a skin!) that doesn't impact gameplay. What the what is going on here?

The whole NDA thing is a red herring, who cares? People buy games before they come out without playing them all the time . . . as in just about every single player game ever - including TES series. I wonder how many people who buy those sight unseen, are whining about TESO's NDA. On top of that, there's nothing to protect in EQL.

At least my views are consistent, I think it's fine for Zenimax to offer a race as a bonus and I also think it's fine for EQL to offer Alpha for $100 (which, happens to be the cost of the Physical Imperial CE). It's totally fine if you simply don't like/want to play a game, but this attitude of trying to tear down other games while acting like the games you do like are benevolent charities is mind boggling.

Are we now comparing a F2P game with a subscription based game with a box price and a cash shop?

The problem with the imperials and choosing whatever empire you want for your race is that is behind a pay wall, while the game is supposed to be a subscription based (and I was really happy for that), exactly so as to provide everything via said subscription (and I'm really unhappy that this was not the case).

Besides, both the above and the NDA still active show that the ESO developers are not confident for the longevity of their creation and thus are trying to raise their upfront cash revenue as opposed to the retention revenue. It's like watching TSW's development, release and evolution, only with ESO this time.

(For the record, I'm not going to play EQNL, since I'm not much of a crafter in RPGs).

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001

Very simple.

ESO gives something not only essential to the game, a race, but also makes it unavailable to those who don't buy a collector edition, with the NDA still up too less than 2 months before release, all that in a subscription based game.

EQNL gives nothing that the players can not earn in game themself without any additional cost, even though it will be a F2P game at release and they could actually have done that because of their income model. And there's no more NDA, people know exactly what they are getting into by pre-purchasing. SOE also offers 100% refund with no questions asked if you buy and don't like what you experience.

That's why I support one game and not the other one.

Very simple as well.  You contradict yourself. 

You say that you won't support ESO because of their CE package, that it gives you a race, something you say is essential to the game:  an advantage.

Yet, your first post is all about you gushing how your paid early access gives you TIME, which in turn allows you to prepare your templates and gather a horde of resources, all with the intent of gaining you money through sales:  a HUGE advantage.

Both are pre-launch purchases, but EQN:L's gives a substantially larger benefit for the early adopter.  ESO's is just cosmetic; EQN:L is time which puts the buyer at a much better position at the actual game launch.

I think everyone but you sees the holes in your position, and the hypocrisy.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Originally posted by Xasapis

Are we now comparing a F2P game with a subscription based game with a box price and a cash shop?

The problem with the imperials and choosing whatever empire you want for your race is that is behind a pay wall, while the game is supposed to be a subscription based (and I was really happy for that), exactly so as to provide everything via said subscription (and I'm really unhappy that this was not the case).

Besides, both the above and the NDA still active show that the ESO developers are not confident of the longevity of their creation and thus are trying to raise their upfront cash revenue as opposed to the retention revenue. It's like watching TSW's development, release and evolution, only with ESO this time.

(For the record, I'm not going to play EQNL, since I'm not much of a crafter in RPGs).

This forum has gone completely backwards. People have been stating P2W is being able to pay for in-game advantage and how horrible it is and how it's bad for the industry.

Zenimax offers something that has no bearing on actual gameplay (just something people want) and people act like it's a slippery slope to ruin.

But EQL offers a headstart in a game in which you can make real life cash from and Captain Picard said, you're getting a pretty large advantage over others. This is literally what people have been upset about. Yet somehow, through some absolute lack of self awareness, this is okay whereas a non-advantage giving bonus is detrimental.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    You buy in to one title atm, Landmark.  Save your time and money for when Next is up to bat. I was bored after 25 minutes...
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    I'm really surprised there was less of an uproar for the EQNL I'm still surprised about all the hooplah over Teso
    Though. It was enough for me to go buy the Imp edition just to spite the whiners. Lol. I know they aren't even going care or even notice but it provided a sense of personal
    Satisfaction

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001
    Originally posted by Telondariel

Very simple as well.  You contradict yourself. 

Nope I do not.

Oh, indeed you do.

You say that you won't support ESO because of their CE package, that it gives you a race, something you say is essential to the game:  an advantage.

Nope, not an advantage. Something unique and as important as an entire race, with UNIQUE racial abilities, and that you can't get another way. In Landmark, everything in the trailblazer pack you can make similar items yourself in game. In ESO, you just can't access the race if you do not have a collector.

So, an advantage.

Yet, your first post is all about you gushing how your paid early access gives you TIME, which in turn allows you to prepare your templates and gather a horde of resources, all with the intent of gaining you money through sales:  a HUGE advantage.

Not the first game to give a headstart (I actually had it in the basic pre-order of LOTRO for instance), and I have no problem with that. I permits to pay a bit in order to avoid the launch day lag and invasion, without giving a very lasting advantage. After a month, the advantage is gone.

So, still an advantage, something that you say you aren't getting..yet are.  Again, a contradiction.

Resources aren't saved in Landmark btw, only templates. You'll have to gather all the resources again in order to use your templates. It's not like it permits you to log in and rebuild your house in one click - it will be a long time before you can restore what you did before.

Yes, but early access gained through pre-payment to get into Alpha, allows you to get in ahead of the "freeloaders"  and "leeches" (as you put it earlier) to mine those copper veins and whatever else you need for your template. 

Both are pre-launch purchases, but EQN:L's gives a substantially larger benefit for the early adopter.  ESO's is just cosmetic; EQN:L is time which puts the buyer at a much better position at the actual game launch.

EQNL is a F2P game (B2P for those who choose to pre-order), ESO is a subscription based game that costs $185 a year to play in addition to the box price and the additional costs. Very different. If I pay $185 a year for a game, I expect to have access to the full actual game. Sorry if you have lower expectations than me.

You didn't address my point, and you have no idea what my expectations are.  Don't be insulting.

I think everyone but you sees the holes in your position, and the hypocrisy.

I think everyone sees how people like you, encouraging subscription based games to basically also have cash shops with essential things like races, affect the whole genre by making the publishers being more and more greedy with each new game they make.

"People like me", that's rich considering EQN:L is going to be a hybrid with a sub option.  So, you are already supporting that as well.  Kettle, black?

Honestly, I'm pretty much done with you.  You aren't making any sense, aside from insulting people you feel are beneath you (freeloaders, leeches, parasites), and denigrating sub based games and those who support them, even though EQN:L has a sub option. 

For a FYI, I am in Alpha.  However, I prefer to help build the community and be helpful rather than have a toxic attitude towards others that I share the game with.  Good luck with your attitude bud.

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915

Yes 2 separate games.

Landmark has 3 preorder packages, Next will most likely have the same setup of having 3 packages. There has been no announcement for Next... so we may end up waiting till the end of the year or maybe even early next year. We just don't know. I just hope it’s this year! I also hope they have a boxed physical edition.

• PyatraPyatra Member Posts: 644
    To the OP, get in EQN as early as possible, even if it costs $100, even if the extra plot ownership slots cost $10 beyond 3.  Because those first plots are worth far more in real world money.  Even if you spend $100 to get into the game early say you snap up not just one but 10 plots right on a landmark.  You can sell them out of game for big money.  Snap as many up as possible.  I know me and my guild are planning to do this and flip them if possible for higher  profit.  You know the old saying, you gotta spend money to make money.  It's foolish for anyone here to bother doing it any other way, people will impulse buy the plots and you can just wait until they open up an additional landmark to claim plots near.
  • blastermasterblastermaster Member UncommonPosts: 259

Thanks for the answers Jean-Luc!

BTW, sorry, did'nt want to put you under fire like that.. =/

I can understand your point of view (does'nt mean I totally agree with it but still..).

I guess I'm just not that stuck on the "must have it all" view of things.  Are my expectations lower than you? For this, maybe, if that's how you see things. To me the Imps are just a tiny bit better than the steed in what they offer (only because it's something that you will "use" for the entire time you play your character), making a CE actually interesting for once (for those who really wish to be imps), nothing more than that. 

Had they come with their own starting zone or quest lines, then I would have been on your side of the fence, but in this case, I can't justify it. Then again, I'm not that interested with Imps, so it may also cloud my judgment (or is it clouding the one of people who are?! mm..)

I guess the only thing I 100% agree with is about that NDA that is still not lifted for TESO... sounds like they are pulling an EA/Bioware here.. But I used to buy videogames by going at the store, looking at the boxes not knowing most of them and making a choice just by the pictures and the descriptions on the back of the box.. so I guess I don't mind paying for a game without knowing every little details about it. (Regardless,like for SWTOR back then, I had some hands on experience with the game, so I know what I'm getting into.)

As for EQNL, from what I see, it seems like it`s a different beast. It probably can't be compared to a typical MMO. It's not the same as others, it's a construction game with resources where you can claim actual pieces of land... I may not know all the details about it, but just by that, it seems that it has a lot more impact than in other mmos.  Early release in a standard level based MMO means that you can move out of the 1st zones before the influx of player, but does not mean much more than that, unless you are the type who lives on "server firsts". 

In EQNL, early access (and bonus items that grants you more resources, making you more efficient than others who have'nt actually bought it), seems to be giving a nice edge over the competition.  True that after a couple weeks, this edge can be lost, but it will probably always stay if you compare players who invest the same amount of time in it.  I may not know all the details (like for TESO, bunch of the reactions were based on speculations), so forgive me if I'm missing something.

I'm not against how things are handled for EQNL btw. (Like I think I already said, I'm still on the fence of if I will get a founder's pack or not.) If that's how they want to go about things, that is their right (as it is ZOS' right too).

If I'm not in agreement with the way a company does things, I just do my business elsewhere. Sure, people have the right to express their opinion about it, as long as it does not end up in a personal vendetta against the devs where one posts in all topics expressing is hate about X decision,etc. (not saying it's your case btw, just speaking generally based on what is happening on this site).

Anyways, I guess we can call this case closed and agree to not have the same point of view.  I just hope people come to understand that it's just a matter of perception and that both can be valid (else there would`nt be that clear a split in the "forum wars" since last week!). Something that seems right and obvious to someone, is not seen in the exact same light for someone else. Peoples have to learn and respect that a bit more really. So what if "you" think "they" are wrong.. if it's really the case, they will see it at some point, if not and you end up in the wrong, well, only fools never make mistakes I guess!  :)

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611

LMAO the people that cant see the difference between EQNLM and ESO are exactly the type of people who will never ever get it. And exactly the type of people Zenimax wants as customers.

SOE and Smedly and  their issues aside.

If ESO were free to play or buy to play then no one would say anything. People that bought into this alpha either for 60 or 100 bucks know EXACTLY what they were getting, and now everyone else can know too.

Ask ESO people what theyre getting. At best theyre getting the name (and EQ is a name as well), and what little they have seen in a vigorously restricted beta. Ask anyone who hasnt seen the beta. They cant tell you anything you cant read for yourself. So any conclusions you might draw are based on very well controlled releases of information. 

There are more videos up of EQNLM of actual player made gameplay than ESO might ever have because they might never drop the NDA. But considering the time frame involved that is pretty amazing.

Now whether Smedly wanted to drop the NDA so soon is a definite No, but rather than pull a Zenimax and threaten to sue anyone breaking or allowing poeple to break a "useless' NDA he made a judgement call and just dropped it. At least for now. Did he do it because he is so 'benevolent' of course not. I dont like much of anything that guy has done, but in this instance he made a good decision. He is smart enough to know that what people see will outweigh the performance issues they also will see. Because he knows gamers with BRAINS understand the difference between a game that just game online and what people can expect performance wise and one that has been in development for a couple years, has less than 2 months until release should play like. I am sure once they get the new servers online and reduce the load it will be OK.

That one video I saw said 2499 people online. Including him that would be 2500 so is that a server 'cap'? if so then that would explain a lot. I doubt very highly that ESO has seen CLOSE to 2500 people in one area in any of their beta tests.But I am sure they will launch day.

I wont ever defend Sony trust me on that but the differences on so many levels here are not even in the same universe. I call em like I see em and on pure balance alone it isnt even close.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    Question... someone builds on top of a mountain... has a beautiful panoramic view.  Can I decide to be an arse, and build a mountain/house up in front of his/her view?
  • ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Originally posted by Ikeda
    Question... someone builds on top of a mountain... has a beautiful panoramic view.  Can I decide to be an arse, and build a mountain/house up in front of his/her view?

Yes and no, there is an exclusion zone around all plots so you can't build there.....but if you manage to claim a plot in front of his then yes.

As they say, you can't buy a view :)

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    Originally posted by Rusque
    Originally posted by Xasapis

This forum has gone completely backwards. People have been stating P2W is being able to pay for in-game advantage and how horrible it is and how it's bad for the industry.

Zenimax offers something that has no bearing on actual gameplay (just something people want) and people act like it's a slippery slope to ruin.

But EQL offers a headstart in a game in which you can make real life cash from and Captain Picard said, you're getting a pretty large advantage over others. This is literally what people have been upset about. Yet somehow, through some absolute lack of self awareness, this is okay whereas a non-advantage giving bonus is detrimental.

ESO was supposed to be a subscription based game and a refuge from the plethora of F2P offerings with varied levels of P2W and penny pinching. ESO and Wildstar were supposed to be an oasis of P2P and my expectations were reinforced by the developers own claims. Sadly when it came to realising those expectations they came short.

Am I wrong to believe that ESO is following in the exact same footsteps TSW did, only having a bigger IP (and thus a bigger initial crowd)? Is it unreasonable to expect history to repeat itself? So far, with other games, history invariably did.

It's not history, it's common sense.

First you sell alpha access. Then you sell beta access. Preorders and collectors' editions, of course. Monthly fee for the first 6 months, no doubt. Paid DLC, if you can pull it off.

THEN you move to free-to-play, because everyone who wanted to give you money directly already did that; you don't have any interest in them; you need to monetize F2P people. 

That's how you make profit.

• KnyttaKnytta Member UncommonPosts: 414
    Originally posted by Ikeda

As others say, yes and no. The exclusion zones around peoples claims are actually quite large so it will never (at least not as the game stands now) be close. The time investment to build a big turd, even with just basic materials like stone will also be large. Is it doable, yes but most griefers will probably find other ways to hurt people.

At the moment there is a lot of activity around the Spires in the T1 zones as that for some reason is where "everyone" wants to be. Some people have built as close to the spires as they can and it was a annoying to have to run around their constructions to get to the spire. Also people has been building walls around the outside of other peoples claims (and the walls will erode in some time think its 30 mins) to prevent the owner to get into their claim. But in the outskirts of the higher tier zones it is very peaceful, me and my wife has adjacent claims on the outskirts of a T2 zone and we see the 5 - 6 other people that has claims there otherwise nothing.

Chi puo dir com'egli arde é in picciol fuoco.

He who can describe the flame does not burn.

Petrarch