Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Elder Scrolls Online: Preorders - Testing Community Loyalty?

Comments

• PyatraPyatra Member Posts: 644
    Originally posted by Hariken
    Originally posted by brearos
    I'll wait for it to get F2P

Just like swotor the same thing will happen to this game. I know alot of Elderscrolls fans and non of them want to play an mmo. In fact the only people that i know that want to play it are on this site and playing the beta. It will be interesting to see what happens to this game after release. It will be all the rage just like any other release but after that. This whole thing seems like grab as much money as you can out the gate. And that is not saying good things about this game to me.

Hmm, so you're saying that none of the Elder Scrolls fans who haven't tried it want to play it.  But the Elder Scrolls fans who have tried beta want to play it.... hmmmm.  Well you convinced me hater, this probably is worth the purchase.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Originally posted by Arglebargle
    If ESO doesn't provide race unlocks in their store, they are creating a opportunity for a black market  in pre-order accounts or codes.  They may not care about this, but if it remains an exclusive, it will have some increased value over a post release account. 

Not only Race Unlocks but Transfers to other Factions.  having content hidden behind a pay wall is not what the Devs said would happen and having exclusive races and factions locks are content.

All p2p content is behind a pay wall. If you don't pay every month you cannot play even though you bought the game.

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

You know with the imperials it's not only a race skin you get?

If you read carefully there's also imperials specific looking armour sets for them it's not like they will wear the same outfits like the rest of the other races EACH race has their specific looking gear (Probably) not to include the exclusive racial skills which any elder scrolls fan would know they are not something to not care about.

There's argonian with the ability to breath under water, immune to diseases and a self regenerating health ability for instance, orks have an ability to deal more damage for a certain amount of time, dark elves burst into flames dealing fire damage to nearby enemies, khajits able to see better in the night plus better stealth skills and so on.

I know this is the single player races racial skills but since there's NDA no one can show us what each race has as racial yet so they could be still useful for certain roles.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by RaiZt

Find the story informative. Im not following the game as it's not appealing to me in general. But Orbitox when i reed your post all that comes to mind is fanboy and i agree with the writer here in a sub game it should be equal thats why we pay a fee every month. 

Setting aside one "race/class" as a upgrade preoprder option is plain wrong and greedy. 

Great article and also pretty much that RaiZt said above.

• PyatraPyatra Member Posts: 644
    Originally posted by Bloodaxes

If you read carefully there's also imperials specific looking armour sets for them it's not like they will wear the same outfits like the rest of the other races EACH race has their specific looking gear (Probably) not to include the exclusive racial skills which any elder scrolls fan would know they are not something to not care about.

There's argonian with the ability to breath under water, immune to diseases and a self regenerating health ability for instance, orks have an ability to deal more damage for a certain amount of time, dark elves burst into flames dealing fire damage to nearby enemies, khajits able to see better in the night plus better stealth skills and so on.

I know this is the single player races racial skills but since there's NDA no one can show us what each race has as racial yet so they could be still useful for certain roles.

I think some of those were toned down to be passives.  They only have one active each (from what I read) and it's the ultimate, but they probably translated a lot of it to equate to similarly themed "Skills"

• blastermasterblastermaster Member UncommonPosts: 259
    Originally posted by Bloodaxes

It was stated that any cultural armor type can be learned by any race. Each race starts with his own, so makes sense that Imps knows how to craft imps gear too..

As for the racial skills, I'm confident in the ability of players to have them nerfed to nothingness anyways.. (can't seem to not have something someone else has for some reaons.. ), so it should not be a problem! I did'nt need any more example of what "we" (as in the mmo gamer community) are capable of in regards to bitching and crying, but the outrcy that's happening since the pre-order announcement just add more proof to it!

So, that being said, it's pretty much just a skin yes...

• blastermasterblastermaster Member UncommonPosts: 259
    mm.. double post..
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Well, the game is certainly generating a lot of chatter, which is exactly what ZOS would want at this point. Maximum publicity. For every gamer "put off" by the pre-order furore, two others will realise there's an ES MMO launching soon, and they'll be eagerly pre-ordering...
  • dogazoodogazoo Member Posts: 13

anyone of u able to name an MMO where 3 fractions based? If so have u played it and how it turned out to you.

Thx a tone in advance..

• rav2213rav2213 Member Posts: 1
    Need a tissue? so much crying. I like the Pre Order.
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

Problem is $15 sub doesn't go a long way anymore. But I think if any developer tried to be the first to raise that sub they would get a huge backlash from it. It's easier for them to just add perks and cash shop items for a premium.

The market has already shown people on a whole have no problem with cash shops even in a sub game.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

Would be funny if Zenimax announced:

"Due to player feedback and outcry about the pre-order bonus and collectors edition bonus. We decided just to remove both. There will no longer be any way to play the races in every faction, nor play the Imperial race at all. Thank you."

That would make everything ok then right? Now no one gets the features.

• MaelzraelMaelzrael Member UncommonPosts: 405
    I just hope Wildstar doesn't pull this kind of crap. I don't mind pre-order bonuses but they should be kept to vanity or very minor bonuses in a Sub based game. Imo box + sub = everything. 

• Stuka1000Stuka1000 Member UncommonPosts: 955
    If they had given CE buyers 17K in their wallets the uproar would have been heard in the four corners of the gaming world.  Giving the mount is the same thing, it saves the player 17k in game.  Give the players the ability to earn a free mount in game and fine, no problem with giving a free one in the box but without this ability the CE freebie is clearly an advantage over other players and in a sub based game this shouldn't happen.  It's not a game breaker for me but the first time I see a lockbox that I can't open without buying a key is the time my sub gets cancelled.
  • Nzscorpion80Nzscorpion80 Member UncommonPosts: 54

They will open up the all races/all factions sooner or later, they are not just going keep it as a pre-order perk. The alliances will all be mixed with races from every nation, Ebonheart alliance could be trying to take a keep from a group of 90% nords.

• Joejc7135Joejc7135 Member UncommonPosts: 214
    Originally posted by Fendel84M

"Due to player feedback and outcry about the pre-order bonus and collectors edition bonus. We decided just to remove both. There will no longer be any way to play the races in every faction, nor play the Imperial race at all. Thank you."

Or they could simply give us all the content for the sub price like they stated. Your example makes sense to kids fighting over a toy and a mom wants to teach them a life lesson. Makes no sense when talking about a money hungry corporation intent on nickel and diming every neckbeard with a part time job.

• otacuotacu Member UncommonPosts: 547

Yes god forbids having all the gameplay after paying the sub.

LATE 2014

"Hey Jack"

"Hi Joe! Oh this ESO game is awesome i can't get enough of this and i just subbed for 3 more moths! Btw i see you are playing an Imperial! That's really really cool! I guess i missed the option in the character creation screen. I want to play as imperial where do i have to click?"

"Simple. Open the cash shop and go to *buy races*... it's 20$ "

"Wait wha- i thought ESO was a p2p game!"

"Oh don't whine so much! It's only 20$! Or would you rather not have the option to play as an imperial? huh? Zenimax guys are good pals they are giving us the opportunity to play as an Imperial for just 20$!"

"Oh well i guess it's ok... oh look! We are here in the Aldmeri Dominion territory and there is a Nord fighting in our Ranks. That's awesome. I'd like to use my Nord character with my guildies... but they all choose to play in the AD. What can i do to play as a Nord with my guildies? is there a rare item? a long epic quest to complete?"

"You didn't preorder did you? Well ok.... just click on the cash shop-"

"... what again the cash shop? another 20$ to unlock factions?"

"Calm down! It's not 20$! you are very lucky indeed today there is a weekend bargain sale... it's only 10$!"

".....!!!"

• KendaneKendane Member UncommonPosts: 225
    And how many of the people complaining were actually planning to play an Imperial? How many if announced from day 1 that Imperial was playable would be making one? Really I thought Imperial was only a semi popular race to begin with, more popular than Orcs, but less popular than Dunmar or Nord.
  • NephelaiNephelai Member UncommonPosts: 185
    The game (CE) is currently the best seller on Amazon. The extremely small forum / Youtube audience having a hissy fit will have no impact at all.
  • quixadhalquixadhal Member UncommonPosts: 215

The only question is... do the races have any special abilities or attributes that would make one superior to another for a given class/profession?  If the answer is yes, then offering to unlock all race/class combinations is pay-to-win.  If the answer is no (all differences are just cosmetic), then it's no different than a special pet or leather pants.

Personally, I find it a bit annoying to have a subscription AND a cash shop AND an initial retail purchase price.  If they want to do the sub and cash shop together, ditch the up-front purchase... you'll likely spend that much in the cash shop instead.

• bleakravenbleakraven Member UncommonPosts: 25
    It just shows that they keep listening to player feedback and fanbase desires... I´m with them, they´re awesome for listening. (first-person perspective, now this, yay!)

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Problem is $15 sub doesn't go a long way anymore. But I think if any developer tried to be the first to raise that sub they would get a huge backlash from it. It's easier for them to just add perks and cash shop items for a premium.

The market has already shown people on a whole have no problem with cash shops even in a sub game.

This is the TSW story repeated to the T. Probably with the same outcome too, though I'm sure the initial numbers will be a lot better for ESO, considering the IP they will be canibalising.

• JJ82JJ82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

Nice to see an actual close to fair and balanced article here for a change. I say close to fair because its still apologetic and is attempting to do damage control for the bad choice, which is not a new thing, its a continual thing and so should not be dismissed easily.

Anyone supporting the game after the pre-orders were announced is supporting corporations now running with this and creating locked content you have to pay even more for, in subscription based games. No more BS about F2P being the nickel and dime style games, now you get your subscription and nickel and diming also!

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

• ninjajucerninjajucer Member Posts: 219
    Originally posted by Nephelai
    The game (CE) is currently the best seller on Amazon. The extremely small forum / Youtube audience having a hissy fit will have no impact at all.

Funny, since I ordered the CE myself. I'm a sucker for the figurine and the map. 

• renadirenadi Member Posts: 19
    Originally posted by orbitxo

your story was confusing and boring.

i already bought the pack CE and very thrilled for the game release- its no wonder the reader base in this site is the way it is- the negativity from its writers= sometimes.

lets face it-it cant be any worse than Defiance's DLC packs....

<.<

this is just my opinion.

I think the fact that they said the game was designed for one thing and let you buy another at the very least is a worrying decision from them.