Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why World of Warcraft is the King of Kings, The Greatest, The number one of all MMO's.

Comments

• Colt47Colt47 Member UncommonPosts: 549
    The joys of being ignored.  Sometimes I wonder why I bother trying to post anything intelligent on these forums. image
  • funyahnsfunyahns Member Posts: 315
    Originally posted by xpowderx
    Originally posted by funyahns
    Commercial success does not equate to best quality.  Now WoW is a good mmo but trying to say because it makes X amount of money means it is better than anyone else is wrong.

Never said anything about quality, nor anything about how much money WOW makes(neither does the link). Perhaps reading comprehension is in order.  Thanks though for the input!

Reading comprehension?  No thank you I wouldn't bother reading an article about Warcraft.  What is the point in it? Its time to look for the future of gaming not the clog.

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552
    Originally posted by Darknessguy64
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71
    With billions served, McDonalds is the best food ever !!!

Ah, the old McDonalds argument. It works if WoW cost much less and offered less quality to get those high numbers.

However, WoW costs just as much (if not more) as other MMO's and still is king. Do people choose McDonalds over a juicy steak? No. They choose the better meal.

Lots of people do just grab a big mac  even if buying a steak at the grocery store and cooking it at home is not much more expensive. Lots of factors go into what becomes popular. Not just "quality", which is often subjective anyway especially with artistic works. If I want to say Rift or LOTRO is better quality than WoW you can't prove me wrong. You can say that WoW has more subs and point out things you like better about it but those things don't prove some objective quality.

(The reverse is also true. I can't "prove" that Rift or LOTRO are better than WoW even though according to my taste both games are far superior.)

It's like arguing whose favorite band sounds better. It ultimately comes down to taste and subjectivity and you will never prove your case to someone who is convinced of the other side but saying popularity proves quality is fundamentally dumb.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    I dont want to touch WoW either
  • phoenix_genma_kenphoenix_genma_ken Member Posts: 34

crap game

tried when was installing hearthstone

cant believe ppl play that  1 pixel game

horrible graphics

horrible animations

ridiculous races...cows,pandas...u name it...all that wow needs now is chicken and kangorou race

eaze mode mmo for -15 with pokemons

cant wait for archeage.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

If i was to scour the entire gaming database for ideas,there is not ONE single aspect of game design i would use from Wow.So how does that shake you for quality?

What has been hilarious to watch is how Wow an identical copy of EQ2 but with cheaper graphics tries to claim it is a great game,yet it is just a copy.I find it peculiar that Blizzard having been EQ1 players made a copy cat version of EQ2 and not EQ,since they said they were influenced by EQ1.My guess is they somehow got wind of the EQ2 design and chose to compete directly with it and they most certainly did copy the template,exactly.

So here we have two IDENTICAL games,EQ2 has better lighting,graphics,textures and housing,guild halls overall a much better product doing the exact same thing.

SO how could Wow be the best when it is not even on par with the same game it copied?

Even better is that FFXI came out before both EQ2 and Wow and designed a MUCH more in depth game and has left both games in the dust when comes to creating variable content.

Sorry but Wow can't beat the game it copied and can't beat a PS2 game in FFXI ,idk maybe it can boast being better than some Indie f2p game?

Besides i believe Farmville had probably 50+x more players than Wow,is Farmville the best game on the market?

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• BrueskieBrueskie Member UncommonPosts: 42
    Originally posted by Wizardry

If i was to scour the entire gaming database for ideas,there is not ONE single aspect of game design i would use from Wow.So how does that shake you for quality?

What has been hilarious to watch is how Wow an identical copy of EQ2 but with cheaper graphics tries to claim it is a great game,yet it is just a copy.I find it peculiar that Blizzard having been EQ1 players made a copy cat version of EQ2 and not EQ,since they said they were influenced by EQ1.My guess is they somehow got wind of the EQ2 design and chose to compete directly with it and they most certainly did copy the template,exactly.

So here we have two IDENTICAL games,EQ2 has better lighting,graphics,textures and housing,guild halls overall a much better product doing the exact same thing.

SO how could Wow be the best when it is not even on par with the same game it copied?

Even better is that FFXI came out before both EQ2 and Wow and designed a MUCH more in depth game and has left both games in the dust when comes to creating variable content.

Sorry but Wow can't beat the game it copied and can't beat a PS2 game in FFXI ,idk maybe it can boast being better than some Indie f2p game?

Besides i believe Farmville had probably 50+x more players than Wow,is Farmville the best game on the market?

Wow these days actually feels like one of those Facebook games.

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459

It always amazes me how threads like this seem to attract the people who have to try so hard to put this game down, like they have to prove to themselves why it is so bad because either they have never played it and like to follow the crowd or used to play it and need to justify why they don't anymore.

Whether you like the game or not, you cannot deny it's impact on the MMO market over the years, good or bad depending on your lean.

The whole 'King of Kings' or 'the number one' is completely subjective and of course not all people will see it as a good game for them, but that does not stop millions of others enjoying it in their own ways.

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

• EkarosEkaros Member UncommonPosts: 367
    Originally posted by JoeyMMO

over 100 M Players! 100M Lifetime players! And just below that, since launch, 100M accounts created including trials. :)

100M is a REALLY nice number though. They must have done a lot of things right to pull in that many players. It must be good to be the king. All hail the King!

That stat includes me. And I think I played entirity of under 5... Minutes that is.

• SelfDestructProSelfDestructPro Member UncommonPosts: 323
    Originally posted by xpowderx

While there are naysayers who would like to say differently. Thought I would share some interesting facts about our beloved World of Warcraft, Also why no mmo on the market can touch WOW!.

Here is the link:http://media.wow-europe.com/infographic/en/world-of-warcraft-infographic.html  

Too much to post here! Hope you enjoy!

Now divide that in half to equate the number of ACTUAL unique players.  Because half of those are probably Gold Farmers.

• TatercakeTatercake Member UncommonPosts: 286
    NOT TRUE  you can keep your kids game got better things to waste my money on that that crap
  • MpfiveMpfive Member UncommonPosts: 308
    Originally posted by Gravarg
    People vote with their dollars, and which company was it that has over $12 Billion sitting in a bank?

Actibli$$ion:D

• MpfiveMpfive Member UncommonPosts: 308
    If WoW was released in this day an age, it would sink faster then SWTOR
  • ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459
    Originally posted by Mpfive

.....as would most 10 year old games i guess?!? The point?

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

So it would sink to second place ?

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

If we are going to discuss "What Ifs", can we at least make them realistc or possible ones? This "What If" is entirely impossible and as such subject to your whim. 

What If no MMORPG was ever released before and now in 2014 Vanilla WoW, An aging game that was plagued with delays and complications for over a decade before it's release, now makes it's debut?

Seriously now. That's not what happened.

• battleaxe22battleaxe22 Member UncommonPosts: 303

You can ignore it all you want . WoW was and is for some  a fantastic game ...lots of fond memories and lots of nice people.

I don't understand why people would bash a game they played for thousands of hours.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

WoW is far better than SWTOR because of the following:

1) WoW is a more diverse AND deeper game - there is just more of it. For example, pet battles are a small diversion in WoW, but would form a relatively major part of SWTOR - if it had them, which of course it does not.

2) WoW has a genuinely open world - you are totally free to move anywhere, explore, and engage enemy Horde/Alliance in PvP.  SWTOR has an elaborate maze system - it's questing on rails - far more linear and you are lucky to see the enemy players once - even if you do, you won't be competing with them for space - so they won't bother to attack you - it would just be a waste of time.

3) The animations in SWTOR are buggy, e.g. - you can run forward while your character has rotated their body through 180 degrees to shoot at the NPCs behind. WoW is far more polished - I have never come across an immersion breaking bug like this in all the 8 years I have been playing WoW.

4) Finally, and perhaps most importantly - SWTOR NPCs stand there like idiots (on the same spot) waiting for you to kill them. If you kill their nearby friend they do not register it. In WoW, they respond more like living things - the aggro radius is bigger etc.

Don't get me wrong - I am no longer a fan of WoW, but to say that SWTOR is superior to WoW is just an ill-informed joke.

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    Originally posted by battleaxe22

You can ignore it all you want . WoW was and is for some  a fantastic game ...lots of fond memories and lots of nice people.

I don't understand why people would bash a game they played for thousands of hours.

Because it was a great game for thousands of hours until they got drunk off of their own cool-aid. Once the game became popular enough to warrant ads from the likes of Verne Troyer, Mr. T, and Chuck Norris himself the game itself started devolving to cater to the larger market grabbing many non MMORPG players while at the same time simplifying the game to the point that it lost it's soul. I speak only for myself on this but I thought your comment warranted a response from one of those that bash the game after supporting it for years. 

As to the OP, yeah this one is late and reads like a bait piece. The game has put up some impressive numbers but they mean nothing when your title has "Greatest" in it and that is very subjective. I'd argue that my greatest MMO is different than yours and has nothing to do with the numbers it can produce. 

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• Darknessguy64Darknessguy64 Member Posts: 233
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

If we are going to discuss "What Ifs", can we at least make them realistc or possible ones? This "What If" is entirely impossible and as such subject to your whim. 

What If no MMORPG was ever released before and now in 2014 Vanilla WoW, An aging game that was plagued with delays and complications for over a decade before it's release, now makes it's debut?

What if WoW chose NOT to use the holy Trinity?

What if WoW was a sandbox MMO instead of themepark? Would all the WoW clones be sandbox MMO's too?

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Darknessguy64
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

What if WoW chose NOT to use the holy Trinity?

What if WoW was a sandbox MMO instead of themepark? Would all the WoW clones be sandbox MMO's too?

Exactly

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    11m Pandas, it truly is the greatest, hallelujah.
  • BeaumanBeauman Member UncommonPosts: 142

Wait. So WoW managed to copy EQ2 before EQ2 was even released, considering EQ2 only launched a week or two before WoW in November 2004?

Interesting.

Though, yes, while WoW most definitely borrowed their core design from aspects of EQ1, WoW also vastly improved on what EQ1 was by 2004. Just as EQ2, which was much more hardcore at its release, about a year later started changing its design to become easier and more accessible like WoW.

EQ2 actually started trying to become more and more like WoW to commercially compete, not the other way around. There were enough launch players complaining about those changes in the EQ2 forums by late 2005, too.

WoW began development in 1999, and if you played EQ2 at launch, you would realize the two were very different games at the time. It was EQ2 that then changed, taking things from WoW fairly quickly. Yes, I was in both games from 2004-2006, then just decided to stick with WoW until last year.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

Farmville is best for those who play it. is that a problem? or you just in habit of feeling better by putting down other who are atleast capable of enjoying their games? misery loves company really.

And how the hell did WOW managed to make a copy cat version of EQ2 when it was released before WOW and was also in development for much longer? unless they sent ninjas to Sony office to steal the blue prints or actually have a time travelling machine...care to explain how is that possible? its true when they say that 'hate often takes over logic and prudent thinking'.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989

You people crack me up.....

This is no more the "King" than Eve is. Doesn't matter any numbers. The masses that flock to the stagnet MMOs are no basis of popularity. Nice try though.

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."