Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why World of Warcraft is the King of Kings, The Greatest, The number one of all MMO's.

Comments

• FappuccinoFappuccino Member Posts: 159
    Originally posted by Darknessguy64
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71
    With billions served, McDonalds is the best food ever !!!

Ah, the old McDonalds argument. It works if WoW cost much less and offered less quality to get those high numbers.

However, WoW costs just as much (if not more) as other MMO's and still is king. Do people choose McDonalds over a juicy steak? No. They choose the better meal. i.e. WoW is the Steak "For Most People". Obviously there are different tastes. That's why there are more games available then just WoW.

I know I won't change your opinion, but at least I took a shot at showing how stupid the McDonalds argument is.

I think we need to leave the whole discussion at this because neither side will budge. No one's going to be convincing anyone else of anything other than what each person believes to be true.

Round and round it goes.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Holophonist
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Originally posted by Fappuccino

This is what I was getting at earlier. It's a weak analogy. 

Yeah, most of them are.

It's not a weak analogy. It's basically saying that popularity doesn't necessarily equal quality. As others have pointed out, the details don't matter. It doesn't matter if there's a McDonald's on every corner. It doesn't matter if they put lsd in their burgers. The point is that there are factors other than quality that determine popularity.

About the closest comparison in this analogy would be this:

People like to eat at McDonald's because they want to. People play WoW because they want to.

• Colt47Colt47 Member UncommonPosts: 549

Well, as a bunch of previous users want to use McDonalds hamburgers and steaks for an analogy, World of Warcraft is both the Steak and the McDonalds Sandwiche: You just have to know where to look.   For example, in the US KFC is a fast food franchise that we casually go to eat at, yet in Japan KFC is actually more of a middle tier restaurant chain.  The fact is that WoW is using different monetization models depending on the region, and one monetization model is clearly a fast food cash grab strategy.

Unfortunately, us users don't have any infographics to look at to make sense of the player populations by region, but if I were a betting man, the World of Warcraft population growth is happening in Asia, while the North American, European, and Australian populations are declining.   That is what I'm taking away from the community at the moment, anyway.

Why don't we compare video games to video games instead of dinner?
  • Darknessguy64Darknessguy64 Member Posts: 233

Because you can't eat video games silly Geezer! image

• HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

Yeah, most of them are.

It's not a weak analogy. It's basically saying that popularity doesn't necessarily equal quality. As others have pointed out, the details don't matter. It doesn't matter if there's a McDonald's on every corner. It doesn't matter if they put lsd in their burgers. The point is that there are factors other than quality that determine popularity.

People like to eat at McDonald's because they want to. People play WoW because they want to.

Ugh. There is simply nothing wrong with the McDonald's analogy. It's meant to point out that popularity and quality don't necessarily go hand in hand. I'm not sure what's so hard to understand about this. 

Ah, the old McDonalds argument. It works if WoW cost much less and offered less quality to get those high numbers.

However, WoW costs just as much (if not more) as other MMO's and still is king. Do people choose McDonalds over a juicy steak? No. They choose the better meal. i.e. WoW is the Steak "For Most People". Obviously there are different tastes. That's why there are more games available then just WoW.

I know I won't change your opinion, but at least I took a shot at showing how stupid the McDonalds argument is.

The analogy is not stupid, your view is just simplistic. Why are you only looking at price? The point is that many different things go into a game's popularity, only ONE of which is quality. Comparing McDonald's relative price to WoW's relative price is, as I said before, simplistic. It's looking at one dimension when in fact there are many, which is the point of the analogy.

Because you can't eat video games silly Geezer! image

Well, I keep having to tell my daughter to stop bringing her laptop to the table.

Yeah, most of them are.

Ugh. There is simply nothing wrong with the McDonald's analogy. It's meant to point out that popularity and quality don't necessarily go hand in hand. I'm not sure what's so hard to understand about this. 

The issue isn't as simple as quality vs popularity.

The issue is that when you try to make an analogy like this, it's likely to have more inconsistencies than similarities. It's the history of this beast around here. I've yet to see this particular comparison work well.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

Because everyone knows McDonalds makes low quality food. Trying to say blizzard made a low quality game would be a much harder sell and comparing it to any other mmos and it's "quality" would be even harder.

That argument is being made because they can, not because it actually fits.

Yeah, most of them are.

The issue isn't as simple as quality vs popularity.

The issue is that when you try to make an analogy like this, it's likely to have more inconsistencies than similarities. It's the history of this beast around here. I've yet to see this particular comparison work well.

What "issue" isn't as simple as that? People bring up the McDonald's analogy when somebody tries to use WoW's popularity as a measure of quality. In that case the issue is as simple as quality vs popularity.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

Almost as stupid as 100 million have played a game = the best ever.  BTW World of Tanks claims 60 million players in 1/5 of the time it took WoW to get 100 million so WoT MUST be better using your logic.

Originally posted by HolophonistOriginally posted by GeezerGamer

What "issue" isn't as simple as that? People bring up the McDonald's analogy when somebody tries to use WoW's popularity as a measure of quality. In that case the issue is as simple as quality vs popularity.

I've never seen a fast food/MMORPG analogy that wasn't so full of holes, that it made more questions than it answered.

• fantasyfreak112fantasyfreak112 Member Posts: 499

Two reasons WoW is the best:

Very smooth engaging gameplay, in every facet.

Failure of every other game to adequately replicate the first reason.

Originally posted by DamonVile

Because everyone knows McDonalds makes low quality food. Trying to say blizzard made a low quality game would be a much harder sell and comparing it to any other mmos and it's "quality" would be even harder.

That argument is being made because they can, not because it actually fits.

Fits what exactly? What it's supposed to do is show that revenue/popularity isn't always a good measure of quality. It does that.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

Almost as stupid as 100 million have played a game = the best ever.  BTW World of Tanks claims 60 million players in 1/5 of the time it took WoW to get 100 million so WoT MUST be better using your logic.

but you're not using his logic. In fact you missed his point totally with the example you just gave.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Threads like this just make WoW look bad. Please, just enjoy the game and leave stuff like this alone.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

but you're not using his logic. In fact you missed his point totally with the example you just gave.

His point assumes WoW is quality and has a higher operating cost than McDonalds.

BTW: World of Tanks is the new king with the 60 million players in 1/5 of the time.

• Birdy1988Birdy1988 Member Posts: 14
    Originally posted by xpowderx
    Originally posted by funyahns
    Commercial success does not equate to best quality.  Now WoW is a good mmo but trying to say because it makes X amount of money means it is better than anyone else is wrong.

Never said anything about quality, nor anything about how much money WOW makes(neither does the link). Perhaps reading comprehension is in order.  Thanks though for the input!

You mean one of the most boring infographics ever released?

League of Legends is by far the biggest PC game even over World of Tanks... but everyone who has any taste knows that DoTA2 is by far the better game.

WoW ... is just a pinnata spank with a little island for dalies trying desperatly to copy concepts from other games in pitiful ways to catch up. the only worthwhile content is STILL raids ... which except heroic are now an absoulte joke.

Cata and Panda were so mediocre even the critics no longer lick its A$$.

His point assumes WoW is quality and has a higher operating cost than McDonalds.

BTW: World of Tanks is the new king with the 60 million players in 1/5 of the time.

Cost to play. Money paid by the player. Subscriptions. Box purchases.  Not operating cost.

• TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199
    Marketing, brand name recognition, and timing.
  • Mr_SneakymanMr_Sneakyman Member UncommonPosts: 43

Bottom line: Wow is a good game. It's always been a good game. With the release of WoD it will continue to be a good game.

Someone asked "What if every MMO gamer voted, not just forum readers."  We already do. We vote with our wallets.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by xpowderx

While there are naysayers who would like to say differently. Thought I would share some interesting facts about our beloved World of Warcraft, Also why no mmo on the market can touch WOW!.

Here is the link:http://media.wow-europe.com/infographic/en/world-of-warcraft-infographic.html  

Too much to post here! Hope you enjoy!

So Justin Bieber > Elvis Presley & Michael Jackson if he sells more Disney-made records?

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Because they do all in better way, more professional, more polished,  many innovative additions to genre, ....  And to think started only after BC because did not like at start cartoonish style. But soon after started to play, maybe even after first or two hours, started to love it and appreciate overall quality of gaming (and after played Gw1, Lotro,....). Light years above others.

So, I take it the lesson some are teaching us is:

If it's popular, it must suck. Ya, no holes in that logic.

No, popularity does not guarantee quality, but it sure as hell doesn't preclude it.