Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EverQuest Next: Landmark: NDA Lifts Within Hours of Alpha Start

124»

Comments

• SimonVDHSimonVDH Member Posts: 178
    So they decided that they'll actualy show a product that they're selling for 60$-100$ to the potential buyers? Thats shocking. I guess they've run out of people willing to buy it without ever seeing any part of it.
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by SimonVDH
    So they decided that they'll actualy show a product that they're selling for 60$-100$ to the potential buyers? Thats shocking. I guess they've run out of people willing to buy it without ever seeing any part of it.

offering full refunds to anyone not satisfied w the alpha is more noteworthy to me

how many mmos offer refunds ?

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    SOE, where customers will hate you for trying to use more open and honest business practices.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by mcrippins
    I see nothing really surprising about this. This game's content is to make content for another game. From what I have read - there's no real objective other than to create stuff. If I somehow missed that there was something to actually kill, fight, train, learn, or compete against, then perhaps I am wrong.

Please.  Just at least try to do some reading before you make statements.  This will be a full game with PvE, quests, instances, etc.  It's not just a EQN factory.  My guess is that the people who enjoy this game will like it more than EQN.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by doodphace
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

I've been doing alpha and beta testing for about 10 years now. I've never been paid by a game company to test their game. I don't know any fellow tester that was paid to test a game unless they were an employee of the company.

Regardless of how any previous product was tested, every company and product conducts their development differently. There is not concrete industry standard that says development and testing must be defined this way or that. So don't act like you have the final word on how this is supposed to work or how others are supposed to conduct their development.

I have been part of Microsoft testing where I've only been invited because I was an already paying customer. Non-paying, non-licensed customers weren't part of the test program. Customers paying to test or have an input in development is not a new thing.

It sounds like you have a conception how you think testing should work and that's fine for you, your projects, or projects you want to participate in. That doesn't mean you define how that works for others.

You will notice that in all of the examples you gave, not one of them involved you paying to specifically test a product, let alone alpha test. That is the point I am making, and I am pretty sure you already understood that...because you made it a point to specify "for which I was already a paying customer". Exactly, you already purchased their products...that was your entry...there was no paying extra to do alpha testing. Again, you may disagree that accepting money fans to alpha test your game is crazy, but do not turn around and act like they are noble in the way they are charging.

I don't pay to test a lot no, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't or think it's improper. I did Kickstart Planet Explorers and have closed alpha and beta access if I want. When I close tested LotRO (from Moria onwards) paying subscribers were the only ones eligible outside of employees who were welcome to test. In fact I got into the first SoA beta test by purchasing a PC Gamer that gave me beta access.

The reason I don't pay to test is because I haven't found a game that I wanted to participate in that manner for the price yet. This game looks interesting to me and if I were invited to test I would appreciate the opportunity, but I'm not that interested that I would pay for the guaranteed privilege to do so. That doesn't mean I think it's wrong.

I am beta testing a game right now that I was invited to and haven't paid. I'll go both ways depending on what suits me.

Some people just get so hung up on what companies decide to sell, and what people will pay for. Some strange men pay to get tied up, spanked, and humiliated. I think that is quite disturbing, even if you are not paying for it. Who am I to judge though?

If I want to buy access to alpha, why does it matter to you? Do you feel I am being taken advantage of? I am an adult, I can choose my own purchases thank you.

If the companies were some how tricking us into buying an alpha product, absolutely, I would be right there with you holding the pitchfork. But they are not, they are quite clear about it, and if you look at Steam it is becoming extremely popular.

So get used to it. Alpha access is only a growing trend. You're probably more upset about losing your free "demos" from all the betas you've been in.

And spare me the speech about experienced testers, knowing what they are doing, treating it like a job yadda yadda. I can lie on a beta application and say I have tested 100 games even easier than I can make $100 to buy access.

• xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by xAPOCx

So we get a semi polish "alpha" for a game thats been in production for what, 5? 6 years? Impressed? Hardly.

And that fact that they started and restarted their game over the years, iterating, discarding things that didn't work, moving toward things that were interesting and then finally coming up with a concept that was worth it doesn't explain all those years in development?

Last I heard Blizzard is doign the same thing with their game.

Still a game in development for 6 years.... And i dont understand why you bring Blizzard into this. Big deal they lifted the NDA. That is something that is trending these day. The refund however was a nice touch.

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

The response to the alpha seems really positive.  I watched some streams and they exceeded my expectations.  The Landmark game clearly isn't for everyone, but there is going to be a really strong following.  I hope SOE has the insight to do these things:

1) don't ignore EQ:Landmark to focus on EQ:Next

2) Add quest building tools into Landmark and bring those quests made into EQ:Next

3) Cancel EQ:Next for PS4 so that it can enjoy the longevity and unrestricted upgrades that have kept EQ1 alive all these years.

I have a lot of hate for SOE after what they did to SWG and the way they ignored Planetside 1 after its one and only expansion.  I also blame them for taking Vanguard and doing so little with it.  On the other hand, SWG, Planetside 1, and Planetside 2 were all amazing games and the hate I have stems from a love.  So I will watch EQ hoping for the best preparing for the worst.

PS: having players pay to get into alpha and betas is a great idea.  First, it happens anyway via ebay.  Second, it allows the most dedicated players to come forward and help test the game.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• MarkusrindMarkusrind Member Posts: 359
    Worth the money to see a game at this stage of development and help make the game what it promisses to be.
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by xAPOCx

Still a game in development for 6 years

game, using Forgelight, has been in development for 3 years

the game engine, Forgelight, was first announced Summer 2011

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111555-EverQuest-Next-and-Planetside-2-To-Use-New-Forge-Light-Engine

His tech team and the team behind Planetside 2 are building a new core engine called Forge Light which will have all of the tech bells and whistles needed to bring SOE's new MMOs into the next generation. Partnering with Nvidia to build in use of the PhysX API has allowed some amazing complexity to everything from the physics of vehicle movement in Planetside 2 to the expression of a characters face in the next EverQuest title.

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150

This extraordinary level of creativity must be utilized in mmorpgs across the board from now on.  There is simply no reason to claim you want to mmo if you have no interest in RPG.  Just play an online video game co op or a private Skyrim or such.  This housing element could do so much for future titles.

A very nice step forward.  I hope it works well for them.

• ZieglerZiegler Member Posts: 159

I am viewing EQN:L as I did the 1st edition DMG/PHB/MM/FF...

EqNext will be Keep on the Borderlands or Isle of Dread........

Right now, it's a very pretty multiplayer Minecraft. But with Smed confirming that they want you to be able to make your adventures.....This could easily be a replacement for NWN...the one by Bioware before they became sellouts, not the one by Cryptic after they became sellouts.

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    Originally posted by SBFord Sony Online Entertainment President John Smedley has announced via Twitter that the NDA for EverQuest Next: Landmark has been lifted. This allows alpha testers to post impressions, videos and more across the 'Net.  "Technically the alpha is holding up very very well, better even than expected. So, based on the requests of our alpha players, (and in spirit of transparency) we've decided to lift the nda immediately."
    Find out more about EverQuest Next: Landmark.
     Oh this is going to be funny. The trolls who get into this game are going to be so rampant. Incoming builidings shaped like boobs, paths crossed like swastikas, and towers of genitals everywhere. I wonder which of the Youtube trolls will be the first to do so.

Already happened last week. Smed tweeted a pic of the first one made. /facepalm

• DakirnDakirn Member UncommonPosts: 372

Man, Sony just can't win with some people.

They drop NDA and offer 100% "no questions asked" refunds and people are still calling it a scam or moneygrab.

Fine, believe what you want. Personally, as someone who's playing in the Alpha, EQNL and EQN are going to be big.  I'm frankly amazed at what they've pulled off so far and can see where it's headed.

• Aldous.HuxleyAldous.Huxley Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 418
    Originally posted by FlyByKnight
    I didn't have to pay to get in Alpha.

You paid with your dignity...