Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Phishing Email Warning

DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181

I just received a rather convincing phishing email inviting me to Alpha. In fact, all the links were valid and the images were correct, apart from the url to 'accept' the invitation. 

The sender's email address is [email protected] (look for the part after the @symbol) so double check any emails you may receive.

Comments

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by Darwa

I just received a rather convincing phishing email inviting me to Alpha. In fact, all the links were valid and the images were correct, apart from the url to 'accept' the invitation. 

The sender's email address is [email protected] (look for the part after the @symbol) so double check any emails you may receive.

Every developer should have a section in their accoutn management section where a player can see if he/she is invited to any testing program. Some developers have this, some don't.

I hope SOE has though.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• EunuchmakerEunuchmaker Member UncommonPosts: 204

It's legit -- from a marketing firm.  I'd post the link, but it's not letting me atm.  I uploaded an image from the Planetside 2 website for the "Stay Connected" promotion, just browse images I've uploaded.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    [email protected] is the right address for "The Everquest Franchise" in this case.

You can just type it in a search engine and see the results. First one has Piestro verify a few posts down on SoE forums that it's correct.
  • EunuchmakerEunuchmaker Member UncommonPosts: 204
    Originally posted by Aelious
    [email protected] is the right address for "The Everquest Franchise" in this case.

You can just type it in a search engine and see the results. First one has Piestro verify a few posts down on SoE forums that it's correct.

Yup.  Good luck getting the alpha client without clicking any links.

• KyllienKyllien Member UncommonPosts: 315

This is a perfectly valid email sent by SOE (or the marketing firm) letting you know how to get started with EQNL Alpha. 

While we all thank you for your diligence at keeping yourself safe from yourself, you really should be checking the official forums for questions like these.  This is not the official forum for Everquest anything.

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181
    Originally posted by Kyllien

This is a perfectly valid email sent by SOE (or the marketing firm) letting you know how to get started with EQNL Alpha. 

While we all thank you for your diligence at keeping yourself safe from yourself, you really should be checking the official forums for questions like these.  This is not the official forum for Everquest anything.

Of course, I checked.

You seem to think I'm stating that all email from that address is fake, but if you took the time to read my post again, you'll see that I'm not saying anything of the sort. I won't bother reiterating my statement as you can simply scroll up and have another go.

SOE asked me to forward the email, so I did. About an hour later, they confirmed it was a phishing attempt and thanked me for the report.

I really don't think any more needs to be said on the matter as it was confirmed by SOE.

• APRIMEAPRIME Member UncommonPosts: 76

I agree, nothing more needs to be said, I got my Planetside2 Alpha Squad Package off an e-mail from that web address.  Also, as was stated earlier in this thread:

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/stay-connected.142215/

Right at the bottom: "Check your settings on your e-mail account.  It's possible that you have our emails blocked or they are being marked as spam.  You will need to allow mail from [email protected] or [email protected]"

That's a mighty sophisticated phising operation if they can post a thread on the official News and Announcements section of the Sony PS2 forums.  You might wanna let SOE know they've been compromised.

• KyllienKyllien Member UncommonPosts: 315
    Originally posted by Kyllien

This is a perfectly valid email sent by SOE (or the marketing firm) letting you know u includedhow to get started with EQNL Alpha. 

Of course, I checked.

You seem to think I'm stating that all email from that address is fake, but if you took the time to read my post again, you'll see that I'm not saying anything of the sort. I won't bother reiterating my statement as you can simply scroll up and have another go.

SOE asked me to forward the email, so I did. About an hour later, they confirmed it was a phishing attempt and thanked me for the report.

I really don't think any more needs to be said on the matter as it was confirmed by SOE.

Possibly we are missing context.  The problem with the information you provided is that [email protected] is a fake email address however that is actually a valid Sony email address.  It would have been more usefull to the rest of us if you included the part of the email that actually was fake.  What was the url that the email directed you too? 

Finally if purchased one of the Founders Packs you can find the download link in the forums.

Since the email you describe is the same email that all the Founders received did you also get a valid email from [email protected]?