Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Melee-Friendly?

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
Is melee combat going to be viable in ESO?  I really want to hack away with a giant, orcish axe!  Every developer video I see, though, seems to focus on ranged magic and archery, even if there are a group of players fighting together.

Comments

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Yes. Enjoy your axe.
  • ReymasReymas Member Posts: 23
    Melee is fun.  I'll be using a two-handed sword as much as possible.
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    I'm planning on playing my normal Orc Warrior, and also going to make a High Elf Mage type.
  • Heavy-armor-warriorHeavy-armor-warrior Member Posts: 222
    I think i may go with a two-handed sword for my first guy.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by MightyUnclean
    Is melee combat going to be viable in ESO?  I really want to hack away with a giant, orcish axe!  Every developer video I see, though, seems to focus on ranged magic and archery, even if there are a group of players fighting together.

Since you can swap weapons without any penalties or delays whenever you want in the middle of a fight, I doubt many will be just melee. I suppose you could swap between dual wield or 2 hd and sword and board and keep it all melee but my guess is that most people will swap between ranged and melee on the fly...whichever is better at the moment.

No one needs to be just one or the other..unless that's what you want.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• lunatiquezlunatiquez Member UncommonPosts: 381

I heard that melee is weightless and feels like hitting the air.

Have they fixed it or planning to fix it in the future?

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    In Skyrim, if it was a melee mob I was fighting, I'd usually open at distance with a bow and then switch to a 2H weapon when it closed.  I hope I can do this in ESO!
  • Originally posted by MightyUnclean
    In Skyrim, if it was a melee mob I was fighting, I'd usually open at distance with a bow and then switch to a 2H weapon when it closed.  I hope I can do this in ESO!

Once you get like level 15, you can!

• Originally posted by inemosz

It gets better every beta. Hopefully by release its all good.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by MightyUnclean

: )

• VermiciousVermicious Member Posts: 5
    I don't post often, but I have followed this site for a very long time.  I believe the reason you do not see many melee toons in the trailers  is simply marketing.  It's the same reason I tend to not play melee toons.  I want to see the entirety of the boss.  I don't want to be limited to only viewing his/her ankles.  When marketing a game, the playerbase wants to see bad-assery in the boss fights, not some axe wielding tank (not to say he/she isn't pivotal in the battle) smacking away at a foot.  I love my tanks and off-tanks just as much as the next nuker.  However, their POV does not sell subscriptions.
  • PyatraPyatra Member Posts: 644
    Originally posted by Vermicious
    I don't post often, but I have followed this site for a very long time.  I believe the reason you do not see many melee toons in the trailers  is simply marketing.  It's the same reason I tend to not play melee toons.  I want to see the entirety of the boss.  I don't want to be limited to only viewing his/her ankles.  When marketing a game, the playerbase wants to see bad-assery in the boss fights, not some axe wielding tank (not to say he/she isn't pivotal in the battle) smacking away at a foot.  I love my tanks and off-tanks just as much as the next nuker.  However, their POV does not sell subscriptions.

Pretty much this. 

To the OP, oh yeah, you'll have a lot of fun.  I can't really say too much on this for certain reasons.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

lol for sure. I almost exclusively play melee in all games I play, and it would be hilarious to see a promo video of some guy chopping at an ankle or watching some mobs butt.

• pmaurapmaura Member UncommonPosts: 530
    yes but my issue is they only have 4 classes and you have to spec in magic to viable, I really fish they would add a pure melee classes that had no magic instead of these 4 classes that are all hybrids
  • vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708
    Originally posted by pmaura
    yes but my issue is they only have 4 classes and you have to spec in magic to viable, I really fish they would add a pure melee classes that had no magic instead of these 4 classes that are all hybrids

Based on what has been publically released over on Tamriel Foundry, you can fill your action bars with all stamina and, or magika abilities.  I do not see them providing options as a bad thing.  I personally feel that really good players will utilize both magika and stamina bars in order to maximize combat effectiveness.

No one can say for certain without breaking the NDA how effective melee, range, and/magika abilities are, but the developers have stated time and time again that they are striving for balance across the board in regards to builds.

Cheers!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

It depends on whether you mean abilities or just swinging your weapon (like in Skyrim), there is a difference.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

Originally posted by vmoped

Based on what has been publically released over on Tamriel Foundry, you can fill your action bars with all stamina and, or magika abilities.  I do not see them providing options as a bad thing.  I personally feel that really good players will utilize both magika and stamina bars in order to maximize combat effectiveness.

No one can say for certain without breaking the NDA how effective melee, range, and/magika abilities are, but the developers have stated time and time again that they are striving for balance across the board in regards to builds.

Cheers!

Exactly.

Many are trying to project the way other games work - those games that lock weapons and armor based on class, onto this game. It takes a bit of readjustment to the way you approach class builds to get the hang of this one.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025
    Originally posted by inemosz

There was some recent developer talk on this subject (I cannot remember where I saw this sorry ... but was very recent). I cannot confirm if major changes were made on this issue but at the very least the developers are very aware of the problem and are making efforts toward improving it.

You stay sassy!

Originally posted by Iselin

Cheers!

Exactly.

Many are trying to project the way other games work - those games that lock weapons and armor based on class, onto this game. It takes a bit of readjustment to the way you approach class builds to get the hang of this one.

There are skills and passives that help toward both magicka and stamina regen in combat so specializing toward one attribute can be done. I just do not know if it is possible to only ever use one stat alone. I for one will attempt to build a pure magicka build but will leave room for adjustment if required if the mechanics do not support it. It seems like it could be done as there are may ways to regen magicka very quickly but it also means you have to tap from health and stamina which means they can't be ignored completely.

You stay sassy!

Originally posted by Tamanous
    Originally posted by Iselin

Cheers!

Exactly.

There are skills and passives that help toward both magicka and stamina regen in combat so specializing toward one attribute can be done. I just do not know if it is possible to only ever use one stat alone. I for one will attempt to build a pure magicka build but will leave room for adjustment if required if the mechanics do not support it. It seems like it could be done as there are may ways to regen magicka very quickly but it also means you have to tap from health and stamina which means they can't be ignored completely.

Well, blocking, dodging, interrupting and removing CC are all stamina based. There's also the Sorcerer ability, Dark Exchange that restores health and magika using stamina... so even with a heavy Magika build, stamina has its uses.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• TheodwulfTheodwulf Member UncommonPosts: 311

I would think that the focus they have put on PvP would have  compelled them to show more diversity in play style and archetype. If anything the lack of footage of mellee is concerning. How do Mellee fighter do against heavy armor nukers ( considering the devs called that build popular)? How much CC is in the PvP and who has it? How does stealth play out? Can healer/stealthers heal while stealthed? 

I have so many questions about game mechanics, I really wish they would lift the NDA already.

Originally posted by Theodwulf

I would think that the focus they have put on PvP would have  compelled them to show more diversity in play style and archetype. If anything the lack of footage of mellee is concerning. How do Mellee fighter do against heavy armor nukers ( considering the devs called that build popular)? How much CC is in the PvP and who has it? How does stealth play out? Can healer/stealthers heal while stealthed? 

I have so many questions about game mechanics, I really wish they would lift the NDA already.

Hybrid builds will be very popular as the pve aspect of the game is largely geared for single or duo difficulty. Pvp and difficult pve encounters will start to favor dedicated builds far more. A "nuker" in light armor min/maxing racial bonuses with intelligently chosen skills will be a far superior ranged combatant and even a healer. When you want the best healing and the best ranged damage you are not going to be calling on a tank nuker. Even greatly min/maxed builds are pretty well rounded anyway in this game.

You stay sassy!

• Originally posted by Tamanous
    Originally posted by inemosz

There was some recent developer talk on this subject (I cannot remember where I saw this sorry ... but was very recent). I cannot confirm if major changes were made on this issue but at the very least the developers are very aware of the problem and are making efforts toward improving it.

tamriel foundry. it was a question on tamriel foundry and pale sage answered by saying he is very aware.