Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wildstar or ESO?

Comments

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by cpupower
    Originally posted by evilastro
    Originally posted by plat0nic
    I've played ESO and it was badass. They look to be pretty different games though.

Listen to this guy he's right it is badass. They are totally different games. I played the both. ESO is hella fun Wildstar fells like a PS3 Action Platform game. "Ratchet and Clank" the MMO or " Jak and Daxter" had a baby with "Free Realms"

Not even close.  Wildstar is more akin to a cross between Guild Wars 1 and TERA / Neverwinter, in terms of limited hotbars and action combat.

ESO feels more like a console game, because it was primarily designed that way, fewer skills and pseudo-aiming.

What are you talking about GW1,Tera,Neverwinter are all Fantasy MMORPG's WILDSTAR is a SYFY set in a futuristic world MMORPG similar to if "Ratchet and Clank" or "Jax and Daxter" crossed over to the MMO genre. You have it backwards by your own analogy GW1,Tera,Neverwinter are from the same hack and slash Fantasy mmorpg genre just like ESO and boast the same limited hotbar aim action combat. I don't think you've played either ESO or Wildstar. Wildstar is filled with action platform combat shallow gameplay you see games like "Ratchet and Clank" it has an announcer that tells things like "Multi-Kill" "Triple-Shot" "Head Shot" "Challenge Mode!!!" echoing through out the game. GW1,TERA or Neverwinter  don't have that nonsense.

I'm talking about the systems behind it obviously, you know... the gameplay.

Not the setting or art style. Anyone can tell what the setting and artstyle is just by looking at a video.

At its core you get 8 skill slots to make up a build, just like in *gasp* Guild Wars 1, on top of that it has skill trees to further customise like in WoW, and then to put that into action you have action combat, which most closely resembles Neverwinter, although the aiming is more akin to TERA.

Anyone could just look at a single pic of Wildstar, or hell, even read a blurb about it, and tell you that it wouldn't suit anyone who was interested in fantasy settings rather than science fiction.

• RattenmannRattenmann Member UncommonPosts: 613

Sadly no "nothing listed here" Option.

Wildstar is just to much comic style for my taste (and i do play comicy games, i just have a limit on what i consider ok and what is overboard). Also the gameplay i see in Streams of Wildstar looks mindnumbing boring.

ESO is okish looking, but plays and feels like crap. No other way to put it for me. I simply hated it from the first minute i logged in. Nothing felt "right".

MMOs finally replaced social interaction, forced grouping and standing in a line while talking to eachother.

Now we have forced soloing, forced questing and everyone is the hero, without ever having to talk to anyone else. The evolution of multiplayer is here! We won,... right?

• freejackmackfreejackmack Member Posts: 378

Well I like the ESO lore history; namely the Dweamer machine creators that disappeared. It is a romantically attractive story to a techy geek like me, and I will likely be drawn to see how the story unfolds; but only if I find Wildstar not as well made as it looks.

Wildstar does not play the same game as ESO. Wildstar knows it is a game and gives you telegraphs even if it is not the best visual thing to do for immersion. Telegraphs are the thing to do for gameplay. At the end of the day you will not stick around to play with mechanics that don't work together well, hour after hour day after day months at a time. Good visuals make it easy to put yourself in the game world but they do not guarantee you will like it once you are there.

I don't want to guess where I should be I want to know and work towards being there on time. It's like doing Temple of Temerity in Tera for the first time without watching the tutorial on youtube beforehand. How do you enjoy something that fails to give you fundamentally important info. Is that fun or just bad design to not inform you of the scenario design. I tend to think that it inflates the learning curve in a less fun direction. Bad teachers give tests with inadequate teaching beforehand and then punish the student with a bad grade. Good thing Tera has good combat; however it could use more and better telegraphs Wildstar style.

Telegraphs are not the only thing that matters but it is a step that needs to be included in more mmos, more, imo. It's a good way to improve the trinity template.

With the raiding that is planned and the the sci-fi tech theme Wildstar could be the game for me if it delivers the gameplay.

ESO could be the game for rainy days when I want to make believe that the weather is batter than it is. I have never seen a better looking game. But is story and looks all it has? We shall see.

TY to the the OP; it was fun to contemplate.

Originally posted by RebelScum99
    Originally posted by zellmer
    Wildstar almost depends on how much you loved/hated GW2, because it's pretty much...

Huh?  It's nothing like GW2.  Those two things have one thing and only one thing in common:  The combat and the limited skills on the action bar.  That's it.  End of comparison.  The two games are polar opposites in every other way.  ESO is far more like GW2 than Wildstar is.  

Bingo.  And even then, the combat isn't much like GW2, since it is:

1) Weighted rather than iceskating.

2) Uses aiming rather than tab target.

2) It uses the trinity.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    I've played ESO and it was badass. They look to be pretty different games though.

Listen to this guy he's right it is badass. They are totally different games. I played the both. ESO is hella fun Wildstar fells like a PS3 Action Platform game. "Ratchet and Clank" the MMO or " Jak and Daxter" had a baby with "Free Realms"

Not even close.  Wildstar is more akin to a cross between Guild Wars 1 and TERA / Neverwinter, in terms of limited hotbars and action combat.

ESO feels more like a console game, because it was primarily designed that way, fewer skills and pseudo-aiming.

What are you talking about GW1,Tera,Neverwinter are all Fantasy MMORPG's WILDSTAR is a SYFY set in a futuristic world MMORPG similar to if "Ratchet and Clank" or "Jax and Daxter" crossed over to the MMO genre. You have it backwards by your own analogy GW1,Tera,Neverwinter are from the same hack and slash Fantasy mmorpg genre just like ESO and boast the same limited hotbar aim action combat. I don't think you've played either ESO or Wildstar. Wildstar is filled with action platform combat shallow gameplay you see games like "Ratchet and Clank" it has an announcer that tells things like "Multi-Kill" "Triple-Shot" "Head Shot" "Challenge Mode!!!" echoing through out the game. GW1,TERA or Neverwinter  don't have that nonsense.

Re-read his quote.  You are arguing over the theme of the game when he wasn't even talking about theme when making his comparison.  Sci-Fi/Fantasy has nothing to do with it.  The guy you quoted is spot on:  Wildstar has more in common with GW1 (building a skill "deck) and TERA (action combat with true aiming) than anything you mentioned.  Ratchet and Clank?  Platformer?  Shallow gameplay?  

Sorry man, but no way you actually played this game if that's what you think.  

• cpupowercpupower Member Posts: 28

I'm talking about the systems behind it obviously, you know... the gameplay.

Not the setting or art style. Anyone can tell what the setting and artstyle is just by looking at a video.

At its core you get 8 skill slots to make up a build, just like in *gasp* Guild Wars 1, on top of that it has skill trees to further customise like in WoW, and then to put that into action you have action combat, which most closely resembles Neverwinter, although the aiming is more akin to TERA.

Anyone could just look at a single pic of Wildstar, or hell, even read a blurb about it, and tell you that it wouldn't suit anyone who was interested in fantasy settings rather than science fiction.

My Friend Wildstar is a high quality game that I would of played when the bejezzus out of when I was 15, but not at 32 sorry I have standards.

• BloodDualityBloodDuality Member UncommonPosts: 404

I am going to have to go with Wildstar. TESO just seems to have something missing for me. I also do not like how they keep the factions so separated. The preorder bonuses and CE bonuses also ruin it fr me an turn me off. 

I never minded wows graphics so Wildstar will not bother me. If anything it will work out better because my GF's computer is getting dated, and not sure how TESO would work for her. 

Would type more, but for some reason this website doesn't keep up with my typing on my iphone. Only site I have ever had this problem with. 

My Friend Wildstar is a high quality game that I would of played when the bejezzus out of when I was 15, but not at 32 sorry I have standards.

That's fine, if you want to let some sort of misguided ideal of adulthood prevent you from enjoying fun stylised games and animated movies that's your own prerogative. 

I am quite happy to enjoy any well made games at the age of 30.  I actually feel bad for you because some of the most brilliant games over the past 10 years or so have been heavily stylised, and you must have missed out.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Re-read his quote.  You are arguing over the theme of the game when he wasn't even talking about theme when making his comparison.  Sci-Fi/Fantasy has nothing to do with it.  The guy you quoted is spot on:  Wildstar has more in common with GW1 (building a skill "deck) and TERA (action combat with true aiming) than anything you mentioned.  Ratchet and Clank?  Platformer?  Shallow gameplay?  

Re-read both quotes?

The 'limited action bar' does not distinguish WildStar from ESO. They BOTH have limited action bars. They both have aiming (though WildStar's is mostly focused around ground-targetting).  ESO is very much setup similar to GW1 / GW 2 / TERO, but still feels very much like an elder scrolls game. WildStar also has a 'build your custom action bar' type gameplay, but plays a lot more like the games he mentioned (which, btw, also feature customized loadouts as part of their gameplay).

Like it or not, the theme very much IS what sets the two games apart. That & the way the games feel while playing. WildStar is a light less serious. Full of insta-gratification features (like the popups that happen all the time, telling you you're awesome). It's built around overly telegraphed combat, and has a robust housing system.

ESO, on the other hand, is a lot more dark & serious in tone. The combat is focused more and tells, rather than telegraphs. You are meant to look at waht the character models are doing, and the spell effects, rather than artificial indicators on the ground. The game doesn't make as big of a deal about you lvling up, and instead focuses more on how you customize your skills and gear. We have heard little-nothing about the housing, and thus can probably be assumed that WildStar will have a more robust housing system.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

ESo forums are booming... (mostly with negativity)

Wildstar forums are near to death

I dont know whats worse?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878

ESO is my first choice. I'm more into pvp than pve at end game. Mainly, I'm an ES fan and I like the art style.

But that doesn't mean I won't try Wildstar.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Originally posted by aesperus

Re-read both quotes?

The 'limited action bar' does not distinguish WildStar from ESO. They BOTH have limited action bars. They both have aiming (though WildStar's is mostly focused around ground-targetting).  ESO is very much setup similar to GW1 / GW 2 / TERO, but still feels very much like an elder scrolls game. WildStar also has a 'build your custom action bar' type gameplay, but plays a lot more like the games he mentioned (which, btw, also feature customized loadouts as part of their gameplay).

Like it or not, the theme very much IS what sets the two games apart. That & the way the games feel while playing. WildStar is a light less serious. Full of insta-gratification features (like the popups that happen all the time, telling you you're awesome). It's built around overly telegraphed combat, and has a robust housing system.

ESO, on the other hand, is a lot more dark & serious in tone. The combat is focused more and tells, rather than telegraphs. You are meant to look at waht the character models are doing, and the spell effects, rather than artificial indicators on the ground. The game doesn't make as big of a deal about you lvling up, and instead focuses more on how you customize your skills and gear. We have heard little-nothing about the housing, and thus can probably be assumed that WildStar will have a more robust housing system.

The discussion wasn't about the theme of the games.  It was about gameplay.  The original poster he quoted said so himself.  And I'm sorry, but if all you've got to go on in comparing Wildstar to freakin' Ratchet and Clank is cartoony graphics and some "You're awesome" animations for leveling up, well...you probably have missed the entire point.  

ESO much more like GW2, and Wildstar is more like GW1.  The skills in both GW2 and ESO are tied to weapons.  In GW1 and Wildstar, you choose which skills you want, and build your action bar based on how you want to play.  Not sure how this point gets missed.  

Now, I haven't played ESO, so I can't comment on what the actual combat "feels" like.  So I'll leave that alone.  But Wildstar's combat is a cross between GW2 and TERA in that you aim to attack, but aren't rooting in place on all your casts, although some of them do require you to stay still while casting.  However, the combat feels much more "weighty" than GW2's combat.  Much closer to TERA in that respect.  

Re-read both quotes?

I never said the limited action bar distinguished the two. I simply said what Wildstar was like, when was trying to say that it played like a platformer, which it does not. 

ESO has less skills and feels more at home on a game pad, it felt like I was playing a console version of Elder Scrolls, which is a good thing since that is what they intended to do. If you are a fan of the older Elder Scrolls games you will enjoy the setup. I was just noting that it played less like a traditional MMO, unlike Wildstar.  The combat in Elder Scrolls also has more of a GW2 vibe in that its very floaty.

The tone does obviously set the two apart, Wildstar has an obvious cartoon flair, and doesn't take itself too seriously. Elder Scrolls is Elder Scrolls. The popups aren't that common unless you are questing to be honest, and the level up is intentionally over the top, but you wont be seeing them that often since it isn't super fast levelling.  

Re-read both quotes?

I never said the limited action bar distinguished the two. I simply said what Wildstar was like, when was trying to say that it played like a platformer, which it does not. 

ESO has less skills and feels more at home on a game pad, it felt like I was playing a console version of Elder Scrolls, which is a good thing since that is what they intended to do. If you are a fan of the older Elder Scrolls games you will enjoy the setup. I was just noting that it played less like a traditional MMO, unlike Wildstar.  The combat in Elder Scrolls also has more of a GW2 vibe in that its very floaty.

The tone does obviously set the two apart, Wildstar has an obvious cartoon flair, and doesn't take itself too seriously. Elder Scrolls is Elder Scrolls. The popups aren't that common unless you are questing to be honest, and the level up is intentionally over the top, but you wont be seeing them that often since it isn't super fast levelling.  

You say this, and yet ESO actually has more skills available at one time than both GW1 and WildStar. I'm not going to argue about which is more enjoyable on a game pad, as that is largely subjective, but I will ask this:

Why does ESO more like a console game to you, when it's PC counterparts had less skills available at one time, and a much more clunky interface? The game also encourperates fps aiming mechanics, which is something game pads typically suck at. You even compares it to GW2 (which I think is a good comparison), a game that is very much not designed for consoles.

WildStar, on the other hand, has 1 actionbar with 8 abilities. Something very easily handled by a gamepad. And the bulk of it's combat is focused around ground targetting (which is primarily 2d aiming). It also has quite a few platforming elements in the game. A decision deliberately made by the devs, because they thought it would be a fun addition to the game.

Keep in mind I am not arguing which game is better. But rather pointing out that what you guys are attempting to use to distinguish them apart, doesn't really make much sense. Things like the tone, on the other hand, do.

• monochrome19monochrome19 Member UncommonPosts: 723

Theres no option for both so screw this poll.

Or neither.

Originally posted by monochrome19

Theres no option for both so screw this poll.

Or neither.

Because he is asking for himself, and not asking what you are doing. He wants to know what the majority of players think will have the best PvE and Crafting.

Re-read both quotes?

The discussion wasn't about the theme of the games.  It was about gameplay.  The original poster he quoted said so himself.  And I'm sorry, but if all you've got to go on in comparing Wildstar to freakin' Ratchet and Clank is cartoony graphics and some "You're awesome" animations for leveling up, well...you probably have missed the entire point.  

ESO much more like GW2, and Wildstar is more like GW1.  The skills in both GW2 and ESO are tied to weapons.  In GW1 and Wildstar, you choose which skills you want, and build your action bar based on how you want to play.  Not sure how this point gets missed.  

Now, I haven't played ESO, so I can't comment on what the actual combat "feels" like.  So I'll leave that alone.  But Wildstar's combat is a cross between GW2 and TERA in that you aim to attack, but aren't rooting in place on all your casts, although some of them do require you to stay still while casting.  However, the combat feels much more "weighty" than GW2's combat.  Much closer to TERA in that respect.  

I understand that. But as I've pointed out in my post above (which you quoted), the mechanics in discussion are very much similar between both games. Thus making them a poor focus for distinguishing one from the other.

Things like the theme, how the games play, their style, on the other hand matter much more in terms of setting the two games apart. WildStar is much more focused on light-hearted fun. And it does have a vibe very similar to games like Ratchet & Clank.

Mechanically they are different, but primarily because one's a 3rd person, single-player shooter. And the other is a 3rd person, ground-target based MMO.

You are correct that ESO has a lot in common w/ GW2. But you're comparison between WildStar and GW1 is fairly skin-deep. Yes, you choose your skills. Yes there are 8 of them. That is where the comparisons end. Once you get past the surface, GW1 was much more of a deck building game (in terms of skill choice), whereas WildStar is much more like WoW or TERA in terms of skill complexity. GW1 was heavily reliant on skill-types, and skill-type counters. WildStar, not so much.

ESO on the other hand, is very much a mix of GW2 & GW1, when it comes to skill mechanics. Only SOME of your skills are tied to your weapon, and you aren't forced to use ANY of them on your bar if you don't want to. You're class has it's own set of skills, there are also guilds that give you their own set of skills, skills tied to your armor, to PvP. None of which are reliant on what weapon you're holding.

The style of ESO is obviously much more 'elder-scrolls-y', and reminds me a lot of skyrim. The games aren't identical, but it's like they took the mechanics from GW1 & 2, and married them w/ most of the abilities from elder scrolls. And managed to keep the feel of elder scrolls intact.

WildStar does currently feel more weighty (though it's hard to say if that's because ESO is very much still in an actual beta, or if that's the intended finished product), though it also feels less aim-based than ESO. It's much more heavily reliant on skill markers, and less on situational awareness (which ESO is). To me I can understand comparing the melee combat of TERA to wildstar, but not the ranged.

- In short, each game seems to be focused around very different things. Combat-wise synergy & build 'theme' seems to be much more important in ESO. Wildstar's build system (so far) seems much less complex, with a much more linear (less branching) design focus. WildStar seems like a game that will be good people looking for light hearted fun & jokes, and like the general attitude of games like Ratchet & Clank, WoW, etc. ESO has a much more mature vibe to it. WildStar's combat feels more ground-focused. ESO's more character focused. WildStar seems to have a much more robust housing system, whereas ESO doesn't.

Both games look good from what I've seen thus far. And I think it's largely going to depend on what people are interested in from their games. I suspect WIldStar will be more popular, because it's simpler, more accessible, and thus easier to get into. It also doesn't have the massive negative hype train that ESO does.

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by Greygon

It's gonna be one of them.

I am a Crafter and a PvEer.  I tolerate PvP but do not want to be forced into it.

What say ye?

Requires two additional questions.

1) Do you enjoy WoW style linear quest grind?

2) Does 40 person raiding appeal to you?

If you answered yes to both questions I would go with Wildstar, if you answered no to both I would go to ESO, if you're somewhere in the middle I would wait until we have more solid info on what ESO's high level content will be like.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Why does it have to be "or"?

I don't play a single video game, do you?

• atuerstaratuerstar Member Posts: 234

The Wildstar community and devs already seem a lot more fun, community and game oriented by leaps and bounds.

Thats why we play mmorpg's isnt it. For fun, for the sense of community, for the joy of the game? As long as these factors are working I could probably overlook the art style that isnt 100% in my ballpark.

ESO - not worth the backlash any comment causes these days.  

Originally posted by atuerstar

The Wildstar community and devs already seem a lot more fun, community and game oriented by leaps and bounds.

Thats why we play mmorpg's isnt it. For fun, for the sense of community, for the joy of the game? As long as these factors are working I could probably overlook the art style that isnt 100% in my ballpark.

ESO - not worth the backlash any comment causes these days.  

Pretty much right on both accounts.

Anyone just looking for some simple fun should probably go with WildStar. I'm sure more people will likely be playing it as well.

• HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993

That's fine, if you want to let some sort of misguided ideal of adulthood prevent you from enjoying fun stylised games and animated movies that's your own prerogative. 

I am quite happy to enjoy any well made games at the age of 30.  I actually feel bad for you because some of the most brilliant games over the past 10 years or so have been heavily stylised, and you must have missed out.

Was thinking that. Reminded me of the arguments you made as a kid.

Boy 1: I'm not wearing pink and purple

Boy 2: Why?

Boy 1: Pink and purples for girls.

On topic, both games look great, and I think I will give them both ago. Wildstar brings fun and humor while at the same time having deep meaningful content. While Eso is quite lore deep, very immersive and is a bit more serious. I can't really talk about much more until I get a chance to play it or they lift the NDA.

I will say I'm more in favor of Wildstar, because the arguments against it haven't exactly been informative. They've been mostly, "well this and that is like this, so it must be for kids" honestly if that's all people can come up with, this game is going to be fine. Also the recent Eso pre-order fiasco is making me a bit cautious about the companies intent.  Also forking over £50 - £70 with an NDA still intact and the limited amount of information is not my cup of tea. I'll wait till official release and see how things progress but like I said before, both games are defo on my list :)

• GuyClinchGuyClinch Member CommonPosts: 485

I wouldn't worry about zenimax because of the CE thing. It's all about gaming design talent - and that company has it in spades. If you want a company that creates the best games you need a company that has the best gaming talent. Some people might not like Skyrim or Dishonored but they were excellent technical achievements in gaming..

Outside of Rockstar gaming and perhaps Bungie there are not alot of better regarded gaming companies out there.. I do love what I have seen out of Carbine though.

Anyway my point is you have to look not just at the body of work of a company but the kind of talent they have currently. That's actually way more important.

• TypososTyposos Member UncommonPosts: 39
    i think ESO will be more PvE game.not sure.
  • GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235
    Well it seems from the comments that both is the most common response so I guess the poll is kinda irrelevant.

As for me both of course.