Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Camelot Unchained: Internal Testing Begins

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

In a new update published to the official Camelot Unchained website, City State Entertainment has announced that the game has entered internal testing.

Internal Testers are not bound by NDA with only one caveat: they can only discuss aspects of the test on the official Camelot Unchained forums. There will be some aspects of the test that CSE may ask testers not to discuss publicly, however.

CSE has also added a new full-time designer (with RvR experience) to the team that they plan to introduce to backers next week.

Comments

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Wait... isn't that basically an NDA still then if its on their forums? I mean that is what most testers do, they can only discuss stuff on that games specific forums. Its pretty much an NDA if you can't talk about it just anywhere.
  • LokbergLokberg Member Posts: 315
    Not really since all the backers aint internal testers, so its good they get to know whats going on to
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,927

But... the backers didn't sign an NDA so can't they just relay the information?

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• FlyinDutchman87FlyinDutchman87 Member UncommonPosts: 336
    Their is a Terms of Service to access the forums. So all the non-IT backers are bound under a blanket NDA.
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Originally posted by Lokberg
    Not really since all the backers aint internal testers, so its good they get to know whats going on to

Still its pretty much an NDA, they can't actually tell anyone what others tell them. Its not like "Oh well now I won't pay money for the game" either, since as backers they already thrown their money into the pot.

Don't get me wrong, its nice that they at least can hear what internal testing results might be (which will likely be very bias btw, its likely to be very selective) but the gesture of it having no "NDA" is kind of bullocks. In a way, those who payed to support the game have the right to know how its going, and in the end no one outside is 'suppose' to know how testing is going on at all.

So for those purposes, it is clearly an NDA. Its fine to have one being in early testing, but its just wrong to throw out a claim like that to spark 'good faith' in them when its not really true.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Nevermind the NDA.

This game hasn't got a single video or screenshot to show after all this time and $2.5 Million funding, that's unusual practice.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739
    Originally posted by ste2000

Nevermind the NDA.

This game hasn't got a single video or screenshot to show after all this time and $2.5 Million funding, that's unusual practice.

I didn't back it, may give it a try, but it is a little too focused for me maybe, as it doesn't really have a pve part to it.  I know why it doesn't, but it would at best become a side game for me probably....That being said, they had internal testing tiers if I am correct on the kickstarter, so if it was vaporware or something, I think those people would be loud and out them (if that was what you were hinting at).

I don't think it has been that long myself, and they do seem to keep in touch with people, posting stories and lore.

• IngvarIngvar Member UncommonPosts: 193
    Well games almost never release pictures of any pre-alpha stuff so its not that unusual
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Originally posted by Ingvar
    Well games almost never release pictures of any pre-alpha stuff so its not that unusual

Well, games that ask money in advance usually do.

Pathfinder did, The Repopulation did, SotA did, Star Citizens showed the ship models and some dogfight, even Pantheon that hasn't even started the development attempted to show something (and they did a mistake IMO).

CU is the only crowd founded MMO that didn't show anything at all, and it is already 1 year into development.

So it is unusual.

• Travy1Travy1 Member Posts: 1
    Originally posted by ste2000
    CU is the only crowd founded MMO that didn't show anything at all, and it is already 1 year into development. So it is unusual.

I agree that it would be usual if CU "didn't show anything at all" after it had been "1 year into development".

Fortunately neither of these things are factually true. Their youtube page and the CU website has videos and screens (linked below). The game has been "into development" for about 8 months, not 12. At around 12 months, we will be playing alpha. Moreover, the founders have seen much more than non-founders, which is why nearly everyone that funded the game is very happy.

http://www.youtube.com/user/CityStateGames/videos

http://camelotunchained.com/en/

• MrBootsMrBoots Member UncommonPosts: 289

I'm set to begin internal testing of my latest MMO creation. All 5 lines of code are going to be put to the test internally. I could share information on the tests with you, but I'm bound to an NDA unless you can provide a large sum of money via credit card payment.

Doesn't this stuff remind of you of the old hotline scams from the 80s and 90s?

• AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    The amount of updates that come from City State and Mark Jacobs is quite impressive. Their open-door policy towards all their backers is something I've never seen to such extent from an mmo's development, on Kickstarter or not. I look forward to my updates each week (many times they are more often than that).
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • rguilbertrguilbert Member Posts: 107

The amount of updates is encouraging. 

I usually would feel nervous about pledging in advance, but I think this situation is different.  We are talking about well known people here who aren't likely to totally destroy their reputations by running a scam.  It would be different if it was being run by some random guy in Eastern Europe that no one ever heard of.

The vision statements seem great, and the lack of a large company forcing them to make decisions that run counter to their direction for the game is a plus too.

I'm sure that Matt Firor over at ESO wishes he had the same level of freedom.  He just got forced to go against his vision in order to boost pre-order sales for his game.

• NirrtixNirrtix Member Posts: 173
    I am very exicted about this game. As other current MMO's are losing their way and getting bland Dark Age of Camelot always stood out. If you did not get a chance to kickstarter they are taking donations now on their website for beta access and digital copies etc.

Nirrtix
    ALPHAs:
    -Pantheon
    -Shroud of the Avatar
    -Camelot Unchained
    BETAs:
    -World of Warcraft
    -City of Heroes
    -Star Wars Galaxies
    -Saga of Ryzom
    -Homeworld
    -Starcraft II
    -Warcraft III
    -Hearthstone
    -Star Wars The Old Republic
    -Vanguard Saga of Heroes

• kosackosac Member UncommonPosts: 206
    NDA in game from Kickstarter is the biggest irony on world.. after american corn etc :D
  • lilwinslilwins Member Posts: 114
    It's cute how people bash a game without knowing anything about it. If you were actual founders you would know that we get 1-2 updates a week, sometimes even more. They have shown us a lot already. We have seen in-game character models, concept art, hell we have even tested some of their early server tech with smackhammer. Stop spitting out BS without knowing facts first, this is not like all those big name publishers that actually do run a bait and switch marketing campaign, so far CSE hasn't done any of that nonsense. Not going to discuss anything else because it's part of the NDA, but we as founders have seen a lot more than the outside world thinks.