Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's Next, Pay Extra to Unlock Certain Classes?

Comments

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by BeansnBread
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

You can call it whatever you want. As I've said before, I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with selling anything they want to however they want to. But usually, people do not sell an "optional expansion" that includes a race during the release of a box + sub game. Actually, I don't think it's ever happened before. And I think it makes a lot of people uncomfortable that they are trying to sell an "optional expansion" with a race included at release.

You're facing two obstacles that you've created for yourself.

1. You perceive an expansion to be different from other additional items or services offered outside of the base subscription. 
    2. You perceive an expansion to be mandatory and not optional.

Neither of those statements are actually true of what I think. Actually, if you read the post you quoted, it's right there. I even went so far as to be willing to call the content an "optional expansion" outright. I got that verbiage from another poster. You seem to have a fundamental lack of understanding of what I'm writing and are instead pushing your perceptions onto what I write.

If you want to call it equivalent to an expansion, I'm fine with that. Traditionally, sub games don't release with an expansion on release day. 

I'm not saying it's an expansion. I'm telling you it's no different  than any other optional content available at release, and for the past six or seven years, optional content at release has become industry standard. You can call it DLC, cash shop, expansion, item mall, deluxe editions, ... whatever you want to call it.

Exclusive content and early access to content in pre-release SKUs is the norm for subscription MMOs, including races, as we've seen with SB, STO and NWO. 

I am addressing your contention directly. I'm trying to provide examples and explanations, and hopefully they help. Then again, maybe I've got it all wrong. It's entirely possible that when it comes to marketing or MMOs, I don't know squat, so follow your heart on this one, Beans. As for me, I'm headed off to try to haul a donkey-cart full of deer carcasses to my favorite virtual town without getting my ass handed to me along the way. You have a great night. 

It actually isn't the norm to give a race in box + sub games through collectors editions. You listed three examples. One of them is F2P. One of them was STO which gave you a race if you commited to a lifetime sub. That was a much harsher example of something I'm not ok with and there was a lot of backlash for that. Shadowbane was released in 2003, more than a decade ago, and is really the only game that I've heard of that actually did it.

Either way I agree that it's the same as optional day one DLC, cash shop, expansion, item mall, whatever. And that is the very reason I'm not very happy about it being in a sub game. But that really isn't a big deal as I'll just wait some time and see how they respond to all this. At some point I personally expect F2P anyway, but we'll just have to wait and see.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

We already do this, it's called expansions. And please tell me how bundling zones, features, classes, more levels/potential power, and races for a single price is more acceptable than selling a single class unlock.

We've been paying to unlock features since Ultima Online.

• handlewithcarehandlewithcare Member Posts: 322

I don't care anymore ,going to buy the standard box I don't want to load 60 gigs with our slow speed in south-Africa.

and play hard till I am bored and the subscription does not justify my time and move to the next mmo.

Originally posted by anemo
    You already do with expansions.

Yeah, but when you buy an expansion you actually get the race/class. You don't have to pay extra for it.

/facepalm

Ya, that's the point. You don't get the class UNLESS you buy the expansion.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Paying extra for classes is nothing new.. since they usually come with expansions and you have to pay for the expansion. We've all been paying for certain classes since the 90's.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
    Originally posted by Fendel84M

Yeah, but when you buy an expansion you actually get the race/class. You don't have to pay extra for it.

/facepalm

You should probably read the thread first. The argument is that what they are doing now is asking, say, $40 for an expansion and then saying you don't actually get one of the races unless you pay an additional $20.

How many box + sub games release an expansion with a full playable race on the day of release?

• Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077

/facepalm

WITH all the content. Not expansion and forking over extra $$ for a race/class.

So for the THIRD time, with WoW...

WotLK = Death Knights race+class = no extra $$ for it.

Cata = Worgen race = no extra $$ for it.

MoP = Panderian race+class = no extra $$ for it.

Hope folks "get it" that an expansion is about getting the whole enchilada for ONE price, not just the refried beans and rice. -_-

• XssivXssiv Member UncommonPosts: 359

We already do this, it's called expansions. And please tell me how bundling zones, features, classes, more levels/potential power, and races for a single price is more acceptable than selling a single class unlock.

We've been paying to unlock features since Ultima Online.

The expansion argument really isn't applicable here.   Typically, when an expansion launches, you buy it and you're good to go.

There are no zones, races, or classes exclusively available to people who are willing to shell out more money for a CE.  

Originally posted by Vermillion_Raventhal

Yeah they're pretty much arguing semantics about what value means to them.  Fact is that we've been paying beyond a subscription to access classes/races no matter what's been tacked on.  Plenty of times that I had little interest in an expansion because I wasn't likely to max level but wanted to play a race or class that was locked out. 

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with charging for classes/races in a sub game. It's just not what has been traditionally done and it seems a lot of people are uncomfortable with it.

Again it has been done just not directly.  Expansions put paywalls between class and races since the start.  

Yes, expansions often do. They usually cost around $30 - $40 and come with a race or a class along with a huge amount of content/levels/etc. Now they are saying you need to buy the expansion for $40, and for an additional $20, you can have full access to the races.

I think it's basically the methodology of it that's off putting to people. What ARE they paying that sub for anyway, right? But that doesn't make it wrong and everyone can choose to buy the game or not buy it in the end. I definitely don't think that point of view is invalid though.

What if I told you that expansion would have only costed $10-20 if it didn't include a new class/race? Woah...that would mean... you had to pay the extra $10-$20 to unlock the race/class...

Yeah they're pretty much arguing semantics about what value means to them.  Fact is that we've been paying beyond a subscription to access classes/races no matter what's been tacked on.  Plenty of times that I had little interest in an expansion because I wasn't likely to max level but wanted to play a race or class that was locked out. 

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with charging for classes/races in a sub game. It's just not what has been traditionally done and it seems a lot of people are uncomfortable with it.

Again it has been done just not directly.  Expansions put paywalls between class and races since the start.  

Yes, expansions often do. They usually cost around $30 - $40 and come with a race or a class along with a huge amount of content/levels/etc. Now they are saying you need to buy the expansion for $40, and for an additional $20, you can have full access to the races.

I think it's basically the methodology of it that's off putting to people. What ARE they paying that sub for anyway, right? But that doesn't make it wrong and everyone can choose to buy the game or not buy it in the end. I definitely don't think that point of view is invalid though.

What if I told you that expansion would have only costed $10-20 if it didn't include a new class/race? Woah...that would mean... you had to pay the extra $10-$20 to unlock the race/class...

I would say that I don't like the way you do business and would prefer games I sub to have all the content included for the box plus sub price.

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    Originally posted by Kevyne-Shandris

/facepalm

WITH all the content. Not expansion and forking over extra $$ for a race/class.

So for the THIRD time, with WoW...

WotLK = Death Knights race+class = no extra $$ for it.

Cata = Worgen race = no extra $$ for it.

MoP = Panderian race+class = no extra $$ for it.

Hope folks "get it" that an expansion is about getting the whole enchilada for ONE price, not just the refried beans and rice. -_-

Surely you can see why others think it's the same thing. You have said the same thing over and over and still they tell you it's the same thing to them. They see your point, why can't you see theirs...I do.

You cannot get the class without paying EITHER way.

The difference is, what you are saying is that it's an expansion AFTER release and you get MUCH more than just paying a price from the get go for an extra race. I getcha on that and sort of agree. Why the hell the Imperials aren't on the list form the get go is beyond me. Why not include them and make some new race previously unplayable. Of course, this still wouldn't keep people from disliking it altogether.

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

What?

Do you really believe that hogwash?

If the race/class doesn't come with the expansion it's double dipping... there's no extra cost. Pure and simple.

Expansions offer whole new continents; whole new quest lines; whole new dungeons/raids/PvP zones. A race/class is TINY compared to the content an expansion offers, that's simply weasle wording to get a quick buck. Blizzard includes it as fun, and as a marketing design -- it sparks interest to play the game. Just like a toaster years ago to open a bank account.

• Preacher26Preacher26 Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Yeah... Box price... sub and cash shop in one game is something that immediately turns me away. Sadly, the trend for a while now has been bleeding customers of as much money as possible.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

I would say that I don't like the way you do business and would prefer games I sub to have all the content included for the box plus sub price.

Then you must hate WOW's pricing. The box does not include expansions and you have to pay extra.

Originally posted by nariusseldon

Ah, but a lot of people do think it matters. A lot of people think that adding a cash shop with races into a sub game is unacceptable. It just doesn't matter to you.

Do you have statistics or is it just you and 10 friends?

A lot of people don't think adding a cash shop to WOW selling pets and mounts is unacceptable. In fact, Blizz made millions off those.

Why is classes any different?

Me and 10 friends.

Edit: Obviously a lot of people also don't mind locking the content behind a cash shop in a sub game. In this case, races are different because it's never been done before in a sub game. On top of that, the races actually affect gameplay.

But, like I've said before, it's fine that they're asking for it, I just personally don't like that type of payment model in a sub game whether it be in WoW or any other sub game.

If it is never been done, how do you know people don't like it? You can say the same thing about mounts before they sold them in the cash shop ... look at what happen, $$$ mounts are big hits.

Sure, you don't like it ... but so what. Companies don't make decisions because one person does not like it. They make decisions based on money. If it works, and make millions, they will do more (like blizz is putting a cash shop in wow). If not, they will stop.

Originally posted by Preacher26
    Yeah... Box price... sub and cash shop in one game is something that immediately turns me away. Sadly, the trend for a while now has been bleeding customers of as much money as possible.

Nah .. the trend is to give part of the game for free to most customers (and zero obviously is not "as much money as possible") and fleece the whales (and yes, they do try to make as much money as possible off the whales).

It is not correct to suggest that applies to all customers. If so, how could i be playing STO, and Marvel Heroes for free?

Sure, you don't like it ... but so what. Companies don't make decisions because one person does not like it. They make decisions based on money.

With these results...

Not everyone out there is "gaming the system". Not everyone out there is trying to get perks just because. When players were telling Blizzard their design for Cata wasn't going to be popular -- and it'll fail -- it was because it was at odds in how must played the game. They stated such as they don't want the game to turn out like that chart!!!

If you hobnob with a select few you won't see how the game is played in the trenches. Nor will logs tell devs how the game is actually played, as it doesn't tell them everything (or that healers do quests!). To get a general idea of how the game is played, have to goto the source, and that's right in the muck of the standard PuG/PuR. Not cherry pick because the info doesn't adhere to a design philosophy.

• GaendricGaendric Member UncommonPosts: 624

Ah, but a lot of people do think it matters. A lot of people think that adding a cash shop with races into a sub game is unacceptable. It just doesn't matter to you.

Do you have statistics or is it just you and 10 friends?

A lot of people don't think adding a cash shop to WOW selling pets and mounts is unacceptable. In fact, Blizz made millions off those.

Why is classes any different?

Me and 10 friends.

Edit: Obviously a lot of people also don't mind locking the content behind a cash shop in a sub game. In this case, races are different because it's never been done before in a sub game. On top of that, the races actually affect gameplay.

But, like I've said before, it's fine that they're asking for it, I just personally don't like that type of payment model in a sub game whether it be in WoW or any other sub game.

If it is never been done, how do you know people don't like it? You can say the same thing about mounts before they sold them in the cash shop ... look at what happen, $$$ mounts are big hits.

Sure, you don't like it ... but so what. Companies don't make decisions because one person does not like it. They make decisions based on money. If it works, and make millions, they will do more (like blizz is putting a cash shop in wow). If not, they will stop.

Agreed, if the majority is against it, it will fail to be profitable (and even costs subs) and they will rethink their approach.

In any case they are getting a huge amount of publicity out of the controversy.

• LuciferIAmLuciferIAm Member UncommonPosts: 93

Nearly replied with a lengthy  rape analogy but decided not to.

People who defend consumer gouging are just the worst. They truly, truly are. "You don't like X asking you to bend over? Then don't present yourself"

Talk about how a company owns whatever and they can do what they want with it all you want but heres the thing. These companies exploit casuals en masse and/or people with simply little sense. They dangle some type of carrot in front of themm only to send them through a buttspanking machine on the way there.

Now when another company sees that delightful sadistic scene they jump at the chance to create their own carots and ass slappin machines. Why? Because as so many people like to point out, its business. Guess the big ol secret about business? Come on, you know it. You got this. They aren't your friends. Surprise!

The people dictating the gouging of the customer do it because it makes more money. This causes others to do the same because surprise they want more money. So many businesses are currently archaicly f'n the customer over on a daily basis because simply most of the sheeple don't know any better. Those that do often have to listen to sheeple defend said businesses.

I find the worst of these to be those who respond with the whole you don't like it then don't buy it schtick. Do you really not understand what you're doing? You're giving companies liscence to freely continue to release lower and lower quality products. YOU are hurting the industry by being a sheep.

Sadly these same people often spout out the if it's so bad 'it should be proven with your wallet' junk. I'll refer you to the exploitation of those who know no better.

So, I pose these questions to those who so often defend terrible consumer gouging practices. Claiming that because it is simply entertainment that somehow makes it ok.

"Why do you want future games to suck? Don't you enjoy playing games? Do you look forward to paying 5 dollars to move 5 spaces?"

Hell if you're still going to reply with the entertainment part, then think about some of the developers out there who love what they do. But their bosses ruin their passions with greed. They sadly still need their jobs to survive, it's not like they can tell their bosses to f' off. Instead it's up to their fans to show the businesses we won't take their gouging with a 'Yes, Please'.

Sure, some devs don't fit said bill. But it's clear many do when you hear them speak about their work. They pour their hearts and souls into their games. Only for their hard work to be marred by greed.

Somehow people justify their negativity towards outspoken words against companies by again making the entertainment claim. But attaching entertainment moniker to games as if thats all they are is a travesty. I'm willing to bet nearly all of us have had wonderful social interactions with fellow enthusiasts. Made long lasting friends along the way. Made memories we will never forget. Maybe even found love. So what if it's on a virtual plane, how does that make it any less significant?

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992
    With F2P MMOs becoming casinos, it is hardly surprising that bad financial ethos like this creeps into P2P MMOs. The two financial models are not independent of one another, they are joined at the hip by the cash shop.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

The eventual verdict on the success or failure of TESO's pre-order content and pricing strategy will be delivered by the consumer. And I won't be a bit surprised if it's a huge success !

People generally love to buy exclusivity and advantage/privilege. That's one of the primary drivers of the success of most F2P games. In F2P games, the advantage is called "convenience" to make it more palatable to the masses. You don't "need" it, but it's "nice to have".

Game developers are under huge pressure from their shareholders/investors to increase profits. There was no way on earth that full-featured MMORPG's with multi-million dollar budgets were going to keep the same $15 per month flat sub fee. Unless producing these MMO's became 10% cheaper every year, that is. Unfortunately, the trend has gone in the opposite direction, as the games have become increasingly expensive to make, yet universally experienced shorter and shorter player retention.

So methods of "revenue generation" will constantly change as developers try new ways of making money. As always, the market will determine if they succeed or fail.

Units sold determines success, not the amount of wailing on forums.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992
    I have no doubt ESO will big a big success at launch, that has not bearing on financial bad practice though.
  • Brabbit1987Brabbit1987 Member UncommonPosts: 782

*sarcasm start* One day I am going to make an MMORPG. Going to charge a box price and sub. The base game will release with 3 races and I will charge for the other optional 6 races. $5 a piece.

They where really suppose to be part of the base game ... but hahaha I decided to tell customers other wise because they foolishly buy it anyway. I learned it's so easy to trick people into thinking they are getting more. When really they are simply being scammed.

While I am at it I will take out 3 outfits from the base game and a few items as well as a mount and charge $20 extra for them as a collectors edition. Hey .. it's normal .. no one cares and they throw money at me, even though I am technically cheating them.

I will also include a cash shop, so you can get a few goodies and cosmetics because we havn't ripped you off enough yet. *sarcasm end*

It amazes me how many people feel it's ok to do this type of stuff and defend it. It really begs the question ... where is the limit for these people who think it's ok? Imperials are a base race in the elder scrolls series. You shouldn't have to pay for it. Those who defend it, I ask where is the limit then? Where do you draw the line?

• LuciferIAmLuciferIAm Member UncommonPosts: 93
    Originally posted by Brabbit1987

*sarcasm start* One day I am going to make an MMORPG. Going to charge a box price and sub. The base game will release with 3 races and I will charge for the other optional 6 races. $5 a piece.

They where really suppose to be part of the base game ... but hahaha I decided to tell customers other wise because they foolishly buy it anyway. I learned it's so easy to trick people into thinking they are getting more. When really they are simply being scammed.

While I am at it I will take out 3 outfits from the base game and a few items as well as a mount and charge $20 extra for them as a collectors edition. Hey .. it's normal .. no one cares and they throw money at me, even though I am technically cheating them.

I will also include a cash shop, so you can get a few goodies and cosmetics because we havn't ripped you off enough yet. *sarcasm end*

It amazes me how many people feel it's ok to do this type of stuff and defend it. It really begs the question ... where is the limit for these people who think it's ok? Imperials are a base race in the elder scrolls series. You shouldn't have to pay for it. Those who defend it, I ask where is the limit then? Where do you draw the line?

Probably when we have to pay 1 cent everytime we walk a space.

• ZadawnZadawn Member UncommonPosts: 670
    Originally posted by Gaendric
    Originally posted by inemosz
    Originally posted by Ghabbo

Short answer, yes, like it or not this is the current trend:

1) Pay for alpha testing.

2) Pay for beta testing.

3) Pay for exclusive perks (CE or whatever).

4) Pay for DAY1 DLC.

5) Pay monthly subs (during 12 months max).

6) Pay for unlockable content (clases, races, bag space, etc) or continue paying monthly subs.

7) Optional: Pay for cashshop items/services (instant leveling, faction transfers, etc).

8) Pay for expansions.

Still, people throw money at them. The problem is not the developer/publisher, it's the people.

I agree the people are the deciding factor. But I don't see a big problem.

IF the majority agrees with you, there simply is no problem.

Because if the majority won't buy at that price, the devs lose a ton of revenue and learn the lesson.

And... if the majority doesn't agree with you and is willing to pay that price, there should also be no problem.

Because you shouldn't try to force your minority opinion onto the majority.

And something like "we know it better than the majority, it should be forced on them" is simply not a viable solution. That's a way way too dangerous and slippery slope and wrong in so many ways. 

The majority is stupid. Look around you  and tell me what's the ratio of stupid/bright people.