Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is this game #1?

sonicwhip2sonicwhip2 Member Posts: 86

Ok, Honestly this mmo could not keep me interested for more than one month after launch. Everything ArenaNet said in the pre release blog posts and manifesto video were all lies to sell more boxes and yet people still support a developer that would blatantly lie left and right in order to build a huge hype.

All the blog posts were taken down from the ArenaNet website when the game launched so most people would not notice all the lies they wrote and they replaced the original Dynamic Event overview on the GW2 front page promising a living breathing world full of consequences with a more watered down version. There is no living breathing world in GW2, everything that happens repeats every 5 minutes and the living story is pretty shitty imo, where in the hell in gw2 can you find anything similiar to a "living breathing dynamic world were every choice a player makes cascades across the entire region causing lasting consequences" you can go to a high level map and it's all still the same, you trigger an event, complete it. little to minor change, everything resets in 5-10 minutes to be completed again. You save a farm or something from bandits, 10 minutes later same bandits attack again and the people you saved greet you with "huh, who are you?" To point out just how badly they have failed to achieve a living breathing world we now have a huge group of players known as "champ trains" running around killing the same champion bosses over and over for loot. Nothing in the world ever changes the word "dynamic" is 100% irrelevant in this game.

The content updates for this game are terrible, even some F2P games are delivering better content. Temporary events every 2 weeks that require a large mindless zerg. If you leave and come back a year later there will be almost nothing new because everything that happened was temporary.

Why is an mmo belonging to a developer that put forth such a large number of lies getting number 1 spot on mmorpg.com? Is it just some wild fanboys or maybe the devs all rushing to this site to give a 10 out of 10?

Please to anyone wondering if this game is good...save your money and do not buy this you will regret it severely, I was super hyped for this game before the launch then I saw how much they lied about everything.

Please, just save your money and wait for Everquest Next or something better.

In general this game to me would score something along the line of a 4 out of 10.

Honestly this website needs to change how the rating system works, it is way to easily abused.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySP-vuH65dY

Comments

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Wall of text crits you for 9999!

Seriously though in short: Vote Manipulation. Its nothing new, its been used by a lot of MMos, GW2 is one of the most guilty of this with TSW. Do you really think Eldevin would actually fit on the spot its on if votes didn't rig it to be so?

"Top voted MMO" is just a joke session where its a "Who can cheese votes better" contest. Its not really worth even looking at unless your that curious to see whose playing the vote manipulation game. Today it was Gw2, the other day it was TSW. 

• sonicwhip2sonicwhip2 Member Posts: 86
    Originally posted by Purutzil

Wall of text crits you for 9999!

Seriously though in short: Vote Manipulation. Its nothing new, its been used by a lot of MMos, GW2 is one of the most guilty of this with TSW. Do you really think Eldevin would actually fit on the spot its on if votes didn't rig it to be so?

"Top voted MMO" is just a joke session where its a "Who can cheese votes better" contest. Its not really worth even looking at unless your that curious to see whose playing the vote manipulation game. Today it was Gw2, the other day it was TSW. 

Yea I think it is urgent for the owners of this site to develop a new rating system that is less manipulated.

If this was based on actual active player reviews I bet we would still have WoW somewhere in the top ten.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

Are you talking about popularity or the rating the site gave it?  If I'm not mistaken, popularity is simply judged by the amount of forum posts that the game receives...good or bad.  Like WoW, it's  a polarizing game.  There are a lot of negative posts as well as positive posts.  Hence the "popularity."   I might be wrong on that, though.  Either way, it's not the most scientific rating system. 

If you are talking about the rating the game received from the site when it was reviewed...well, I won't comment on that.  Don't feel like getting banned.  I'll just say this:  The game received the highest rating from this site:  9.3.  The second highest rating was Eve at 9.2.  Just a bit odd that they rated it one-tenth of a point higher than Eve.  Almost as if they were trying really, really, hard to make sure it was the highest rated game on the site.  Why were they trying so hard?  And why was the score just barely high enough to beat Eve and get the highest score?  I'll let you guys argue that one.  

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

Most single player games last about 20-30 hours. So not even close to a month of playing. But those are a good deal with lots of story ..blah blah blah

GW2 lasted a month ( at least ) and people rage about it being too short.

Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. 

• askdabossaskdaboss Member UncommonPosts: 631

1) Well, frankly what other (recent-ish) released game should take that #1 spot?

Most MMOs are fairly average these days, and this one is better than average and did many things well despite your tirade against it.

2) I, on the contrary to you, would advise people to buy it as the game offers its share of fun for the money invested.

Funny how you believed all the pre-release propaganda though... I mean, do the MMO crowd still believe in sales speech and PR stuff these days? Really? Of course everyone's game is the best and the "next-gen-messiah-wowkiller-unique MMO". Nah... They are just games, fun and all till they aren't any more.

If you're saying you played GW2 for 1 month then it seems it was a good investment.

Originally posted by DamonVile

Most single player games last about 20-30 hours. So not even close to a month of playing. But those are a good deal with lots of story ..blah blah blah

Because an mmo is typically suppose to hold your attention for years to come. Games like WoW have done that.

After less than one month of gw2 I completely forgot this game even existed.

Originally posted by askdaboss

1) Well, frankly what other (recent-ish) released game should take that #1 spot?

Most MMOs are fairly average these days, and this one is better than average and did many things well despite your tirade against it.

2) I, on the contrary to you, would advise people to buy it as the game offers its share of fun for the money invested.

Funny how you believed all the pre-release propaganda though... I mean, do the MMO crowd still believe in sales speech and PR stuff these days? Really? Of course everyone's game is the best and the "next-gen-messiah-wowkiller-unique MMO". Nah... They are just games, fun and all till they aren't any more.

If you're saying you played GW2 for 1 month then it seems it was a good investment.

They purposefully lied many, many times before the game came out.

Why would anyone support a developer knowing they are deceitful?

Originally posted by sonicwhip2

Because an mmo is typically suppose to hold your attention for years to come. Games like WoW have done that.

"Games"...like wow. What other game is like wow ...that also don't have a sub ?

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

EQ, the most direct ancestor/inspiror of WoW 'also don't have a sub' and has held people's attention for many years.

I would still support them because in life it's never just black and white (good dev/bad dev), also because their product is still better than the rest of the MMO products on the market, and that I generally support the innovation they brought to the genre, and finally because I support the "no sub" policy and "non pay2win cash shop".

The made mistakes too, some lies (although all of the stuff you wrote is arguably there in one form or another, not exactly the way you dreamt it... we understand that... but their best defence is that you understood what you wanted to when they were describing what was in the game).

So yes, to me, they are all good reasons to support the developer.

Originally posted by Zorgo

EQ, the most direct ancestor/inspiror of WoW 'also don't have a sub' and has held people's attention for many years.

And I fully expect Everquest Next to do the same thing.

EQ1 and EQ2 which are F2P are putting out way better content than gw2, actual expansions with permanent content.

In gw2, shitty temporary events filled with bugs and glitches every two weeks focused on driving people to the cash shop for an rng style cosmetic item.

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308

Uhhh.. MMO's are designed to last over the long term in order to keep people paying. If it only lasts a month, it's not good enough. Period.

If that doesn't make sense, you're either trolling or completely ignorant.

And I fully expect Everquest Next to do the same thing.

EQ1 and EQ2 which are F2P are putting out way better content than gw2, actual expansions with permanent content.

In gw2, shitty temporary events filled with bugs and glitches every two weeks focused on driving people to the cash shop for an rng style cosmetic item.

Ah! So that was your agenda then... EQ1/2 should have that #1 spot then!

Well, good luck with that. Just cast your vote then and make it count. image

Originally posted by Ghavrigg

Uhhh.. MMO's are designed to last over the long term in order to keep people paying. If it only lasts a month, it's not good enough. Period.

You're correct from a "business perspective", but from a "player perspective" it's not true (and we are just suggesting to players that the game is worth the money they will spend to acquire it - which is correct) .

Actually, if I value an activity very highly, I wouldn't mind paying $100 (and more) for a day (or less) of fun.

Now, from a business perspective, I still think MMOs are worth it - but don't make companies filthy rich (it gives them a nice, steady income though).

You see the problem here right ?

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059

Oh, I figure GW2 is rated number one onsite because a) it is newer than WoW and b) no one has managed to make anything better with a degree of broad consumer appeal since WoW in spite of the billion clones come and gone.

So you don't like it? *shrugs* I don't really like it either but I can respect it. I can write the same about TSW. But clearly there are enough people that do like and no one needs to manipulate votes or hits to put it on top of the charts. It is what it is.

Currently the majority of guilds that swelled to over 400+ members after launch now only have around 10 people logging in daily.

My entire friends list of people that rushed in for post launch excitement is completely dead. None of those people I added after launch log in....ever.

Originally posted by Crazy_Stick

Oh, I figure GW2 is rated number one onsite because a) it is newer than WoW and b) no one has managed to make anything better with a degree of broad consumer appeal since WoW in spite of the billion clones come and gone.

So you don't like it? *shrugs* I don't really like it either but I can respect it. I can write the same about TSW. But clearly there are enough people that do like and no one needs to manipulate votes or hits to put it on top of the charts. It is what it is.

There are plently of mmo's releasing in 2014 that I personally think should knock gw2 out of the top five(and if they don't that just further proves the manipulation and loss of credibility for mmorpg.com).

Wildstar, TESO, Archeage, Black Desert online, Star citizen, Everquest Next Landmark and Everquest Next, Destiny.

That list could go on for a long time, the amount of competition coming for 2014 is going to be intense.

I don't see how anyone in their right mind would stick to GW2.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by Crazy_Stick

Man,..if only all the rest of the non-fans of GW2 could be as level headed as you.

/tips hat

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• flguy147flguy147 Member UncommonPosts: 507

Because most people that play video games dont sit there and read every forum post or "study" every detail of the game before they buy it.  They see it and pull up maybe a trailer and go wow that is cool, i will buy it and check it out.  

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    WoW is really number 1, but it's just cool to hate WoW, so everyone does it lol.
  • squalleonahasqualleonaha Member Posts: 211

its way better than some game that havent come out but already box sell + $15 amonth+ cash shop. or a game that take people money and fail and remake to ...take another $59.99 from people + sub.

just look at $59.99 like a console game and you get tons of thing and update. from GW2. so even if it just an average game it still deserve on the top, and the game isnt bad.

Also Final Fantasy 14 rating went down pretty suspiciously.

IMO that game should just remain number 1 for now.

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    The games used to be designed for the long term haul or to keep people paying as you put it but look at the MMORPG releases from the past several years. The design philosophy changed. Development teams figured out that they couldn't keep up with the demands of the PVE content locusts or compete to keep players with the hype for the next big release on everyone's calender. It became more profitable to rake in big launch day sales with a subscription plan for the first few months to milk people for every dime they could and then turn the game into a free to play title with cash shop. No one expects you to stay and its cheaper and more profitable to put a game together that way. There has not been a game released with a real and substantive "endgame" feature set in years. Come visit, play through the content, go on to the next big release, and maybe come back for a month if they release an expansion. The old days are sadly gone...
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    Blizzard just linked a new page on their main site listing all the mind-boggling stats about WoW.  Player's vote for the best with their money and actions, and well no other game I bet comes even within 50% of the stats listed on that page lol.
This discussion has been closed.