Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reminiscent of Swtors pre launch.

Comments

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

Originally posted by Razephon

No game to date (other than that one game that had raiding) has managed to keep growing after the 3 month mark. Also, there will probably be many non-MMO alternatives waiting to be played for people who don't want to stick around since 2014 is going to be a crazy year for gaming (outside MMOs ofc)

1. WoW is still expanding, TSW - Still expanding, Planetside 2 still expanding, the list goes on. I am not sure where you get your information or what exactly you are trying to say here. There are, literally, hundreds of games out there that keep expanding and growing in both game space and player base.

2. Because something is truth for you, does not make it a universal truth. You may very well tire of this game within three months. That does not mean 40% ( I would also like to see where you got that information from) of the player base will agree with you.

3. I tend to agree on your last point. 2014 could end up being a very epic year for all manner of gaming.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    Originally posted by KaosProphet

No game to date (other than that one game that had raiding) has managed to keep growing after the 3 month mark.

EvE Online.

Though it's not that big a bar to pass, as it was always more of a niche game than a mass-appeal one.

I totally agree. Every time I feel shafted by CCP, I look at all the other games and it doesn't feel quite so bad.

• boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438
    Right now it looks way worse than SWTOR's launch. At least SWTOR had a decent combat system, UI, and questing. I doubt ESO will survive even when it goes F2P. There are way better F2Ps out there.

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by DSWBeef
    Anyone else worried? NDA is still up beta testers have only tested the first 20 levels or so. Something seems fishy to me. Anyone else feel the same?

Not even in the same ballpark, I have seen both...

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697
    Originally posted by boxsnd
    Right now it looks way worse than SWTOR's launch. At least SWTOR had a decent combat system, UI, and questing. I doubt ESO will survive even when it goes F2P. There are way better F2Ps out there.

It's a lot worse than SWTOR's pre-launch.

SWTOR had announced on their official webpage (Holonet) all of the classses with a lot of short gameplay footages, planets, ships, galaxy map, crew skills etc. You could find many gameplay footages (both official and unofficial) all over the Internet.

TESO official page has basically nothing but fluff. No classes, no info on crafting, no zone overview, nothing. Only short character creation video.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

It does have similarities, yes. Including multi-million dollar, long-ass CGI trailers that have nothing to do with actual gameplay.

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527
    Originally posted by tom_gore

It does have similarities, yes. Including multi-million dollar, long-ass CGI trailers that have nothing to do with actual gameplay.

We all know the masses go retarded over these videos , and when they play the game it feels so anticlimatic.

• ZzuluZzulu Member Posts: 452
    Originally posted by skyline385
    I know the Weekend Beta testers had 20 lvl cap but i hope you realise that there is a permanent Closed Beta going on like Wildstar but with very few people (like 500 or so). We don't know what their cap is. I think it's because the testers are so less and that the Keys for it go in upwards of $400 that we have seen pretty much no one break the NDA and hence no leaks except for one which was like months back.

Holy shit! Where can I sell my beta key for 400 dollars???

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by firefly2003
    Originally posted by tom_gore

We all know the masses go retarded over these videos , and when they play the game it feels so anticlimatic.

Blizzard cgi never looked like gameplay

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by Rusque

... or maybe the marketing team said, "this is NDA drop day and it doesn't matter if the game is ready to show before that date, you're listening to us!"

Thx, that was a good one :)

I don't know of course the actual situation, but I've worked in developement (both as programmer and supporting them from an another dept.), and I'm pretty sure it's highly unlikely. khm. More like impossible :)

Can you imagine a dev team harassing the management and marketing "we are ready, we only picked our noses in the last 3 days, c'mon let's release this **** already!" and they "No, not yet. Patience. If you're ready, just relax. Everything is under our control."  Lol

• GillleanGilllean Member Posts: 169
    It seems Zenimax wants huge initial box sales, and not rely on their game to hold people. Thats what im getting from all the preorder CE crap.

+ 1 This

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    Anyone else worried? NDA is still up beta testers have only tested the first 20 levels or so. Something seems fishy to me. Anyone else feel the same?

SW:ToR is alive and well making tons of money....matter of fact all the games that people complain about are alive and well and making money.

MMORPG needs to add a monthly sub that includes allowing people to post...it would cut down on all of these dumb a$$ posts.

• SpriggenSpriggen Member Posts: 21
    As far as I understand, SWTOR had way more of a larger hype about it then TESO. Sure the game is popular just the same like any mmmo would be before launch but noting was like swtor.
  • coventryhagdogcoventryhagdog Member Posts: 85

Don't be worried. Just don't preorder it and waste your money on something that is potentially bad.

There are SO MANY GOOD GAMES OUT NOWADAYS! I grew up when there was no internet, when there were only a few platforms to play games on and when games were outrageously expensive.

We live in grand times, friend. Wait until you read some reviews or the NDA Is lifted (and I will tell you stories, I shall).

• Originally posted by DSWBeef
    Yes. Especially considering they just broke core game mechanics in order to sell more preorders. As well as locking content behind preordering. Doubly suspicious given how adamant they have been until now saying these exact things wouldn't happen.
  • KazuhiroKazuhiro Member UncommonPosts: 607
    Originally posted by Hatefull

No game to date (other than that one game that had raiding) has managed to keep growing after the 3 month mark. Also, there will probably be many non-MMO alternatives waiting to be played for people who don't want to stick around since 2014 is going to be a crazy year for gaming (outside MMOs ofc)

1. WoW is still expanding, TSW - Still expanding, Planetside 2 still expanding, the list goes on. I am not sure where you get your information or what exactly you are trying to say here. There are, literally, hundreds of games out there that keep expanding and growing in both game space and player base.

2. Because something is truth for you, does not make it a universal truth. You may very well tire of this game within three months. That does not mean 40% ( I would also like to see where you got that information from) of the player base will agree with you.

3. I tend to agree on your last point. 2014 could end up being a very epic year for all manner of gaming.

1. Incorrect, Wow in shrinking steadily as mentioned in half a dozen official reports plastered across the internet.

TSW, is not expanding, it's also shrinking, however due to it being a buy2play game, this isn't apparent.

PS2 is also shrinking, this is fairly obvious, and you know full well you lying on this one, it's not just ignorance on the subject.

The original author is 100% correct, and you are completely wrong. However there "is" likely a few mmos out there not listed that are in fact growing, they just aren't well known ones.

As for your other two points, those are largely opinion, and I won't try and refute you on them.

To find an intelligent person in a PUG is not that rare, but to find a PUG made up of "all" intelligent people is one of the rarest phenomenons in the known universe.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Zenimax isn't caring if people stick around and play their game for a long time initially.    That would explain the keeping the NDA up so long.   They just want to try to get some of the production money back from initial pre-sales and few months of subs.    Yes it is very reminiscent of the way EA did SWTOR, and Funcom did with AoC.   Don't let them know the reality of the game until after it launches, and then make some lame excuses as to why it is messed up.  

The game is set up for free to play when it goes live so that it is an easily go from a sub model to a free to play model, which explains the game launching with an item store built in.   Since the game will be open to both PC and Console gamers, Zenimax will just keep churning players in and out a revolving door.   They will get a few die-hard fans to stick around, but most will just be churn players.  

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611

Much more Age of Conan than Swotor.  Games themselves are very similar as well in design and in other areas.

I did buy AOC, and I even popped in and played it awhile back. Much better game than it was but its a ghost town.

But at the time and what we got AOC was pretty different. Problem is it was a half finished game. They promoted PvP. No one knew anything about the PvE, beyond what beta players said (at least AOC dropped the NDA in a rather timely fashion) but people still claimed there was repeatable PvE 'content' with larger max level areas you could do it in. Sound familiar?

That 'content' proved to be bounty rewards for killing X number of mobs. SO basically perpetual daily quests. No new content no new maps. I suspect ESo will be exactly like that, or not too far off with their whole 50+ and 50++ stuff where you go into another alliances map and get to do 'stuff' there. What stuff? There hasnt been a peep as to exactly what you can do. At best youll be able to do the exact same quests at 50 that the home alliances dd at whatever level they were meant for. even that is speculation.

Basically 90% maybe even 95% of what we actually know abut the game is speculation or leaked NDA stuff that is completely biased one way or the other. And even the beta leak stuff is extremely limited.

Games that are awesome dont rely on speculation and controversy to drum up interest.. They actually show off whatthey have and flood the internet with everything they can, sure in a teaser fashion. But this lack of information goes way beyond teasing.

The most laughable part of all this is the biggest 'news' stories we have gotten from them officially are the announcements of the voice actors, and then a couple days ago a guy opening the Imperial Collectors Edition box. Are you fucking serious with that shit? Talk abou t a joke from a supposed AAA MMO.

Wheres the PvE videos or something beside you fighting a Rift, which really didnt show anything or even explain anything. Just a free ramble of a few developers who may or may not have been playing as 'normal' level toons against a 'regular' rift err whatever its called.

Where are the player made videos with people losing their minds (generally for no reason other than its a new game and they havent seen that mob a billion times already), or player made PvP videos of defending or trying to take a keep? Where are the mass battles between a few hundred people that have been alluded to? Oh thats right its only 7 weeks before a soft release and the NDA is still up so sorry.

We dont have shit but a bunch or carefully controlled and produced crap made in the very best possible way to enhance what little this game may or may not have to offer.

• JJ82JJ82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

Worried? no, because of the massive amounts of similarities with SWTOR I wont be getting the game, so no worries at all other than other corporations destroying IPs for quick cash grabs if TESO manages to fool enough TES fans to buy before release.

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

I really don't know why people are so worked up over the NDA.  What sub only games released in the last several years dropped the NDA prior to opening up beta?  And I mean true beta where you can't buy your way into it.

As for the similarity yea there are a few in the hype engines and message control but I'm not sure that's a bad thing either.  SWTOR's problems wasn't selling enough copies day 1 is was keeping players day 31.  If ESO can match SWTOR's launch day sales numbers than their fate will be in their own hands because they will have more than enough momentum to be successful if they can hold onto it.

• JJ82JJ82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,258
    Originally posted by udon

I really don't know why people are so worked up over the NDA.  What sub only games released in the last several years dropped the NDA prior to opening up beta?  And I mean true beta where you can't buy your way into it.

More than a few actually.

Hell, WoW dropped theirs around 6 months before release, several months before open beta. SWG was the same, NDA was dropped in the middle of Beta 2 which was around 3 months before open beta.

There is just way too much damage control going on with TESO because they are too busy trying to be everything for everyone and they know they cant do it yet need the massive box sales.

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Originally posted by Axxar
    Yes. Especially considering they just broke core game mechanics in order to sell more preorders. 

No, they didn't.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• collektcollekt Member UncommonPosts: 328
    Originally posted by JJ82

More than a few actually.

Hell, WoW dropped theirs around 6 months before release, several months before open beta. SWG was the same, NDA was dropped in the middle of Beta 2 which was around 3 months before open beta.

There is just way too much damage control going on with TESO because they are too busy trying to be everything for everyone and they know they cant do it yet need the massive box sales.

I could not disagree with you more. ESO is not trying to be everything for everyone, something like WildStar is more along those lines. ESO is fairly specialized, especially when it comes to endgame PvP. I don't know why everyone is so up in arms about the NDA. If you don't want to preorder, then just don't and wait to see how it turns out. It's like you people need to come to the forums of a game you don't like and try to convince yourselves that you aren't missing out on something.

As for the similarity yea there are a few in the hype engines and message control but I'm not sure that's a bad thing either.  SWTOR's problems wasn't selling enough copies day 1 is was keeping players day 31.  If ESO can match SWTOR's launch day sales numbers than their fate will be in their own hands because they will have more than enough momentum to be successful if they can hold onto it.

Name a game with a hard release date that was still in closed beta less than 2 months from that release date. Given that ESO also has a physical disk it makes it even more dubious. Also given there is a 5 day head start period its right around 56 days from today.

Also considering their announcement that they were going to be 'amping up' their beta schedule you have another issue. Since that we have had a SINGLE beta event. Yeah they allegedly invited more people to this last one but that IMO doesnt entail amping up. To me amping up means they do MORE of them.

So how many more closed beta events will there be? One? Two? Doubtful we get two, especially since they do them evry 5-6 weeks. Now if we get one more they have time. its been two weeks since the last one ended. So if they follow the same schedule it will be a month before we see that one. But at this point why bother? if they shorten the time between them and we get one this next week coming up then we could do more.

But until they let a mass amount of people see stuff beyond beginner level areas. I will not be very excited about it. if that is through an extended closed beta or a full open beta it doesnt matter.

But I dont think there will be an Open beta because if there was it would have been a pre order perk like early access was. Now people can say that doesnt make sense, but the way people have handled this whole issue it shows they dont have a lot of common sense anyway. I am sure some people would in fact pre order a game to get access to an OPEN beta.

But ultimately what matters more to players? Having a game they dropped 60-100 bux on they can actually play for more than a month or continually lining the pockets of companies who release shitty game? Shouldnt 'success' be a combination of both? Thats why I am leery of Zenimax, I think to them making the most money they can off the pigeons and sheep in the shortest amount of time determines success to them. If the game sucks, so what theyll go free to play and just start selling stuff. if people stop playing theyll close the game. Bethesda will announce Skyrim 2 for console and stand alone PC and theyll make another half billion on that because "at least it isnt an MMO and at least its Bethesda and not Zenimax". 

Originally posted by collekt

I could not disagree with you more. ESO is not trying to be everything for everyone, something like WildStar is more along those lines. ESO is fairly specialized, especially when it comes to endgame PvP. I don't know why everyone is so up in arms about the NDA. If you don't want to preorder, then just don't and wait to see how it turns out. It's like you people need to come to the forums of a game you don't like and try to convince yourselves that you aren't missing out on something.

How do you know that? Because they said so? Or because of some connection to what DAoC did and the ressemblance of ESO to them? Other than maybe the super secret beta players (and even then we dont know because of the NDA) No one has seen anything that remotely ressembles end game PvP. Going in there at level 10 -15 and getting auto leveled doesnt show shit. it certainly doesnt expose any imbalances or OPness.

Just another reason why the NDA should be lifted,

People make way too many assumption good and bad in favor of the game or against it. Dropping the NDA wouldnt clear them all up but it would certainly allow the spread of stuff to let people see for themselves.

if you have something that is awesome you dont hide behind things and let innuendo and conjecture show it off for you you let the product speak for itself.

This discussion has been closed.