Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] WildStar: Groups and Guilds in Nexus

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Teamwork is essential for a successful MMO. Whether it’s forming squads to take down the toughest challenges, or shepherding a studio to deliver on-time, a strong group is pivotal. With a sizeable chunk of gamers going solo, Gareth Harmer looks at how WildStar is encouraging the multiplayer side.

Read the rest of Gareth's WildStar: Groups and Guilds in Nexus.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• blix2006blix2006 Member UncommonPosts: 415

cant wait for this to come out..i assuming its a summer release...already preordered elderscrolls to tide me over

• Tykam123Tykam123 Member UncommonPosts: 95
    Oh geeze..I am so freakin excited for this game, I have to literally restrict how much I look it up, I dont want to be addicted to the thought of playing this when I cant lol. Unfortunately I think they have already pulled me in!
  • MaelzraelMaelzrael Member UncommonPosts: 405
    wtb launch date. 

• LyrianLyrian Member UncommonPosts: 412

Their twitter feed said they are on schedule for a Spring Release. So...at the latest that puts us at May 19th. With at least one month open beta beforehand.

Take that as you will.

• Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077

"It means that those mega-guilds full of strangers will grow slower, while a small guild of close friends"

Nice, considering in WoW during Cata my family guild couldn't even level for 6 months to the guild leveling bug. Then on top of it, because it's a family guild, took forever to get to level 25 as we didn't have 800 players parked for perks.

Furthermore, the challenge is encouraging group play and eliminating the bottom feeders. Maybe a currency benefit for keeping junior's mouth shut, and/or a penalty if certain keywords are used in public chat? If devs want to encourage the 20+% of MMOs that play solo to group, those types of distractions -- especially the abuse -- needs to be gone like yesterday.

• vtravivtravi Member UncommonPosts: 398
    No word or landscape group areas or group quests. I love grouping to do challenging content but grouping to kill soloable landscape mobs is terribly boring. I miss the Lotro SoA group quests. They were a blast and I made many friends while playing them. In game voice chat was a huge help too. I miss that.
  • rajadog20rajadog20 Member Posts: 9
    Originally posted by Lyrian

Their twitter feed said they are on schedule for a Spring Release. So...at the latest that puts us at May 19th. With at least one month open beta beforehand.

Take that as you will.

I would say that's a bit conservative of an estimate

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    Originally posted by Lyrian

Take that as you will.

Spring is until June 19th.  Regardless, if it launches by then I'd be surprised.  Beta is still at level 37 cap (or so we've been told) which means beta testers haven't even reached end-game yet.  And that is Carbine's primary focus of WS.  

Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    I was hoping to read in here that they were going to have areas designated as "group areas" that had mobs like an instance, but in the open world.  I like the idea of open tagging, that helps alot.  I've met several of my friends on Timeless Isle in WoW.  Open tagging eventually leads to making a group and that leads to adding friends to the list :)  Also glad to hear about Flexible content as well.  This is one of the best options for MMOs these days.  I can't count how many times in WoW Flex raids, someone had to leave for real life stuffs, but we didn't have to pick up anyone.  Or if someone is running late it's no problem :)
  • Entropy14Entropy14 Member UncommonPosts: 675

I agree, one of the features im looking forward to in this game..... GRUOPS, I do agree most games fail to keep up in the long run cause we get bored doing the solo thing,  I really do hope to find a nice guild and a few people to run around, explore, kill, and raid with on a regular/almost daily basis. 

Carbine please keep adding content that requires a group , seems every mmo now is solo.

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301
    all the features of this game are so awesome but I can't stand that cartoony style, I feel sad for myself :(

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005
    This actually makes me want to relook at this game. It's one of the things I've been begging developers for and I"m kinda of surprised most free to play subscrption games don't have it. I simply want to jump on sometimes and play with my wife, which is all she wants to do.  Episodic adventures are great for this. It was the reason why we always returned to Rift. Dungeons soonbecome item mill grinds and arrogant player meccas.
  • RimcyRimcy Member UncommonPosts: 44
    yay! another force-group game...
  • DesthionDesthion Member UncommonPosts: 1

its not forcing you to group the post even says you can do the missions solo and i'm sure that you can do all the lvling content completly solo as well

• aymanzoneaymanzone Member UncommonPosts: 35
    Shiphand missions will ruin the game.
  • aymanzoneaymanzone Member UncommonPosts: 35
    And I hope no wow players join. They will ruin 40mam raids.
  • treasktreask Member Posts: 1

The Crowns of Dominion has formed and are now looking for new people that will joing our cause!

Come and check out the guild if you are intrested!

http://crownsofdominion.wix.com/dominionpower