Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gaming Companies Have Gone Too Far

Comments

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Originally posted by Kevyne-Shandris

That is a mini-game, and the player can easily get the cure and be normal again. 

It's not an actual character choice and as permanent. The Imperial race is one that you are "born" into and are, compared to what you can become and just convert back, too.

While I have always wished the racial choice for your character in an Elder Scrolls game would have a substantial narrative impact, it never actually has, in any of the games.  NPC race is certainly a factor in who those characters are, but the player character is always pretty much exactly the same character regardless of race.  The choice to be a Vampire or Werewolf on the other hand has always had some degree of narrative impact.

I would love it if race in ESO were more than a cosmetic skin and some racial passives, but there is no reason to expect it to be, it never has been in past Elder Scrolls games, and it rarely is in other MMOs.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077
    Originally posted by CazNeerg

I would love it if race in ESO were more than a cosmetic skin and some racial passives, but there is no reason to expect it to be, it never has been in past Elder Scrolls games, and it rarely is in other MMOs.

The past ES games had Imperials as a stock race choice......................

• AdokasAdokas Member CommonPosts: 217

That's most likely not what he's talking about. He's probably talking about how, in ES games, your race never really majorly mattered. You just "are". Which is also going to be the case it looks like in ESO. The race passives are so minor, that races for the most part are just what alliance you choose, and how you look.

• 4getting20094getting2009 Member UncommonPosts: 178
    Originally posted by Bruhza

They know people will buy it. Personally, I agree. The gaming industry has changed from "How can we make our fans happy while offering a reasonable price" to "How much money can we make in the shortest amount of time". They know that if their game fails, there is always the F2P market. So why not take advantage of people if they are willing/desperate enough to buy it, well, I guess that's their logic anyways.

Which brings me to the point that I will not be buying or purchasing ESO on release. In my opinion the MMO as a whole is over-hyped. If history regarding MMO's has taught me anything, its that hype is almost certain death for an MMO. I'm not a hater of it by any means, but the wave of disappointment will certainly be felt....That is unless their endgame is more than amazing.

I'm right there with you. I'll wait till the hype dies down, the price plummets, and give it the old 30 day probation.....

I know.  I didn't say that particular race hadn't been a choice.  I said that, from a narrative perspective, the choice of race has never had any real impact.  It is a choice without consequences in the story.  Given how similar the human races in ESO look to each other, it isn't even really a cosmetic addition here.  This all (the Imperial race issue, irrespective of the other bonuses) comes down to one thing as a practical matter, an exclusive set of racial passives, the content of which we don't even know yet.  Not even a special skin, not really, and no narrative consequence.  Just a set of passives, and the word "Imperial" on your character sheet.

The Force shall free me.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by 4getting2009

Originally posted by Bruhza
    They know people will buy it. Personally, I agree. The gaming industry has changed from "How can we make our fans happy while offering a reasonable price" to "How much money can we make in the shortest amount of time". They know that if their game fails, there is always the F2P market. So why not take advantage of people if they are willing/desperate enough to buy it, well, I guess that's their logic anyways.   Which brings me to the point that I will not be buying or purchasing ESO on release. In my opinion the MMO as a whole is over-hyped. If history regarding MMO's has taught me anything, its that hype is almost certain death for an MMO. I'm not a hater of it by any means, but the wave of disappointment will certainly be felt....That is unless their endgame is more than amazing.

I'm right there with you. I'll wait till the hype dies down, the price plummets, and give it the old 30 day probation.....

That's always the wisest course of action. Wait til it's released so that you can watch and read what it's REALLY like from the early adopters.Then you can decide if the game is worth your.investment.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Laughing-man

yeah, and if there is a taco that charges me extra for cheese i will not be buying from that retailer.

Yes I will, if the retailer provides the same quality taco, and the total price of the taco & extra cheese is cheaper than OTHER retailers.

Why do you assume if components are charged separately, the total price will be automatically higher? Don't tell me you cannot just add things up and see for yourself.

In fact, the game Van Helsing is like $15 or $20, with DLC, and i am more than happy that they price it that way, so I don't have to pay for a DLC that i don't like.

Originally posted by ktanner3
    That's always the wisest course of action. Wait til it's released so that you can watch and read what it's REALLY like from the early adopters.Then you can decide if the game is worth your.investment.

I would argue that it is the second wisest course of action.  The best is to get into the open beta so you can find out what *you* think about the game before making a buying decision, rather than relying on what somebody else thinks of it.

The Force shall free me.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by ktanner3

I would argue that it is the second wisest course of action.  The best is to get into the open beta so you can find out what *you* think about the game before making a buying decision, rather than relying on what somebody else thinks of it.

There may not even be an open beta. And even if there is, it may be a weekend long with a small level limit. I prefer ktanner's course of action more either way. Wait a month or two, see what people say about endgame and the major systems so that you don't put a 100 or so hours into something you might not enjoy.

• TohcixTohcix Member Posts: 13

And here i am, totally happy with only paying 60 Euro for the imperial deluxe digital version (or whatever they called it).

• AratakiArataki Member UncommonPosts: 239
    Originally posted by evilastro
    The saddest thing about this whole incident are the people defending it.  I guess we all have them to thank for publishers and developers somehow thinking that it is OK to sell in-game advantages over other players, even in a subscription game.

I see you say this in many threads, without actually describing what advantage it gives. Or what substantially more of an advantage than a free mount or more experience gains it has. Put up or shut up.

And I don't know about the rest of y'all, but my 80 dollars also got me a free copy of Assassin Creed 4: Black Flag. Seems like a good deal to me.

Originally posted by Tohcix

And here i am, totally happy with only paying 60 Euro for the imperial deluxe digital version (or whatever they called it).

And I'm even happier paying $0 for none of it. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRMGp3P_Tc8

Need I say more???

• TohcixTohcix Member Posts: 13

Awesome :) i hope you do something inlogical with the 60 euro... gotta spend them on crazy stuff!

Awesome :) i hope you do something inlogical with the 60 euro... gotta spend them on crazy stuff!

Euro? I'll take my green backs to buy WoD.

Home isn't the same when not seeing Blizzard destroy your class (25 in 480 top healers are Holy paladins...yeah, Blizzard really knows how to stick a class!). }:>

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Welcome to the new age of gaming business. It is bad enough mmos today aren't that good but yet companies insist on raking you over the coals just for access. It is about greed, nothing else.
  • Neo_LibertyNeo_Liberty Member UncommonPosts: 437
    Originally posted by ThomasN7
    Welcome to the new age of gaming business. It is bad enough mmos today aren't that good but yet companies insist on raking you over the coals just for access. It is about greed, nothing else.

everything in life is about greed.. nothing to see here.

• TatercakeTatercake Member UncommonPosts: 286

ya they are milking it a bit and since i played the game and was so upset with it with its game play i will pass on all deals and play it when it is free to play it will become free to play

• WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Originally posted by Myrdynn
    Originally posted by stealthbr
    I am absolutely baffled that the majority conforms and supports the inflation of prices. It's no wonder the economy in the US is an absolute wreck.

what inflation of prices?

in 2001 I paid 59.99 for Horizons

in 2004 I paid 59.99 for WOW

I have paid 39-59 for various expansion

I paid 49.99 for RIFT

I paid 200$ for TSW

I paid 54.99 for TERA

I paid 59.99 for SWTOR

I have no problem paying 59.99 for TESO

This is exactly correct... There is no inflation... As a matter of fact there is deflation in the gaming world...

I spent upwards of $60 on Ultima 5 back in 1988 for the C64 and the same for Baldurs gate in 1998... Hell, I remember Atari and Colecovision carts were $50ish... and if you purchased "gold carts" for the NES they set you back at least that much.

Todays gamer has this "Steam mentality" where they won't buy a game (or EXPECT a game) to be 70% off. Just because AAA game X was $19.99 means ALL games can never be more than $19.99... I just don't get it...

The only reason that you aren't paying $200 for a game box (DL or whatever) today is because the sales volume is much higher now. So yes... "speak with your wallet" and watch the prices go up when the sales volume goes down.... it is supply and demand...

No matter how much gamers want to bitch on forums about price there are still a much greater percentage of "silent majority" that are happy to fork over a few bucks to support one of the least expensive ($$/hour) forms of entertainment there is.

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

Originally posted by Neo_Liberty

everything in life is about greed.. nothing to see here.

Everything also has a price to pay for it, too...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZfRaWAtBVg

• GaendricGaendric Member UncommonPosts: 624

Nice style. 

You set the stage by implying something is afoot in game-dev, then transition into a fallacy (mind projection), head onwards into a hyperbole and then seamlessly close it off with a cognitive bias.

:)

• Thessik_IrontailThessik_Irontail Member UncommonPosts: 76

The new set of magic the gathering cards Born of the Gods comes out the first week in February, one booster box will run each player $120, which is like what.. more then 3 months including the box price of a subscription MMO?

MMO players are ruining the genre with this F2P nonsense.  Subscription based MMOs are not too much money, they are a measly drop in the bucket and if you cant afford it, and want to, then go get a better job.

• ozmonoozmono Member UncommonPosts: 1,211
    Originally posted by Thessik_Irontail

The new set of magic the gathering cards Born of the Gods comes out the first week in February, one booster box will run each player $120, which is like what.. more then 3 months including the box price of a subscription MMO?

MMO players are ruining the genre with this F2P nonsense.  Subscription based MMOs are not too much money, they are a measly drop in the bucket and if you cant afford it, and want to, then go get a better job.

I think the issue here is they are charging a high box price, a sub and despite this they are already charging for additional content which isn't just a cosmetic novelty. I think the OP said somewhere in here that he was more worried about this setting trends than the actual cost.

But junior not paying $15/mon isn't the sole problem. Publishers see they can make hand over fist money by charging extra.

Cosmetics weren't enough to sell.

So the extremes are being played out, and sorry to say it, it's only going to get worse as both duke it out.

Sensible way is subscriptions to balance the extremes, but as soon as corporations see extra profit, it's only downhill from there.

Frankly, don't know how/why folks seem surprised at the ESO CE, because they were one of the first to bring DLC.

Did they learn from it though?

No!

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

-shrug- I don't see the problem either way.

The way I see it:

A number of people had a problem with the way races and factions were set up.

A number of people didn't.

They provided an for those who would like it, and find it worth paying a little extra for.

For those who like the idea, they get to enjoy playing an Imperial.

For those who didn't care, they'll continue playing what they had likely intended to anyway.

No one loses. 

Using myself as an example... I intend to play a Dark Elf and explore the lands of Morrowind. If the option to play an Imperial was in the game for everyone, I wouldn't be pursuing it regardless because I have no interest in it. Hence, I wouldn't be spending the extra money to unlock it. Likewise, whether others have that option or not means nothing to me. I'm playing the game the way I enjoy. So are they. More people playing as they enjoy = more people to play with = more fun for everyone. Everyone wins.

If the option did appeal to me and I felt it worthwhile, then I'd consider whether the additional cost was worth it. If it was, then I'd buy it, roll up an Imperial and decide where to start. Again.. I'm playing the game the way I enjoy. Others are playing the game the way they enjoy. Everyone wins.

It's not like you get some kind of power advantage over others with it. They're not selling power. It's not part of the "core game", or it would be included. They're selling some additional fluff. Same game.. Still gotta pick a race. Still gotta pick a faction. Still gotta get through the content like everyone else. You just get to do it in a different skin. 

-shrug- 

I could see why people are upset by it... I do agree their timing seems a bit off... But I don't see anything in the situation that would make it a deal-breaker for me personally.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

You are confused between affordability, and perceived value.

I am more than happy to drop $500 on a meal with my wife, but why should i pay even a dime on MMORPGs when i can get the same amount of fun for free?