Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Zenimax - it takes work to make a decision this bad

Comments

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Originally posted by Ruien

I don't buy collectors editions of games... ever. Some mount or pet just doesn't do it for me.

I did buy this collectors edition and i thank you Zenimax for giving me a reason to do so.

Forgive all of these self entitled people who have been raised on welfare attitudes  who think they have a say in how you developed a game. They have 2 choices. Buy or don't buy. Otherwise they should shut up.

Its not 'entitlement' and I love how that has become the catch phrase for everyone concerning this issue. It call paying a frigging subscription. EVERYONE should have the same things. if they want to give out pre order shit then let it be like all the other shit other games have given. There is a reason why that stuff was bland, because it didnt HAVE to be any good because people were going to buy the game anyway.

When people need an excuse or a reason to pre order a game then that really says it all. When a company feels they also need to give these reasons that says even more.

I would love to say once this thing crashes and burns and people come to that realization it will mean something but it wont. because SWOTOR is less than 18 month ago and it did the same exact thing, and that was just the latest. Names any game basically in the past 8 years (other than RIFT) that delivered anything remotely comparable to what people thought they were getting?

Buy to pay sure, sell AL the classes and races if you want. Subscription no way.

• ThornrageThornrage Member UncommonPosts: 659
    Originally posted by Thornrage

They have 2 choices. Buy or don't buy. Otherwise they should shut up.

I disagree. I think they have a right to complain if they feel it is necessary. Otherwise, these forums would need to be shut down.

Only in this situation, I don't think there is much to complain about.

And these forums being shut down or become something better than the stinking pile of vomit everyone spews?

lol

I agree there are many here that just love to bash a game over and over. I never understood how some can hate on a game even months after they have stopped playing. Just not something I am capable of.

If a game turns out to be a disappointment, I might make a comment about it but I move on. Some here do not know how to move on.

But there are some here who make very valid points. After SWTOR released there were many valid posts about the game. Still, even though it was a let down, I find myself playing it from time to time.

I would rather these forums remain, gives us all a chance to voice our opinion. We just have to sift through the muck ... a lot.

"I don't give a sh*t what other people say. I play what I like and I'll pay to do it too!" - SerialMMOist

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310

F2P in 6 months

That said, I may buy the physical collectors edition because I like collecting things and that box set is worth the collection value to me.

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• RuienRuien Member Posts: 39

@rodarin

Your argument and that of the vast majority of people complaining stems from the fact you either cant afford the game in some way, or your used to a F2P like setup. When something comes along that interests you but locks itself away financially you get all uppity.

Alot of the uproar here is due to this and no matter how well you try and disguise yourself behind manufactured indignation over some design decision, the true reason is that you are mad you have to pay for this game.

@rodarin

Your argument and that of the vast majority of people complaining stems from the fact you either cant afford the game in some way, or your used to a F2P like setup. When something comes along that interests you but locks itself away financially you get all uppity.

Alot of the uproar here is due to this and no matter how well you try and disguise yourself behind manufactured indignation over some design decision, the true reason is that you are mad you have to pay for this game.

You are just wrong. The race locks were chosen during the design phase as "necessary for the MMO to work" and then they pull the "oh you want to play any race in any faction just give us extra money!" card because well, they know it will sell. I couldn't careless about imperial THAT'S A GIMMICK to me, but going back on design decisions in this way is simply a money grab. But I guess they have to recoup their investment somehow. 

Games:
    Past games:
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Warhammer - Xpiher

Originally posted by xpiher

@rodarin

You are just wrong. The race locks were chosen during the design phase as "necessary for the MMO to work" and then they pull the "oh you want to play any race in any faction just give us extra money!" card because well, they know it will sell. I couldn't careless about imperial THAT'S A GIMMICK to me, but going back on design decisions in this way is simply a money grab. But I guess they have to recoup their investment somehow. 

Like I said, manufactured indignation over a design choice. Your still going to buy tho from an earlier post you made.

• lafaiellafaiel Member UncommonPosts: 93

@rodarin

Or maybe, just maybe its not about the money but about not letting a company walk all over you there by setting a precedent for more of the same later on. Nice flame bait there though.  I'm already playing the I want to play so not interested in ESO but what do does affect me as it affects the whole industry.  I'm just lucky the game I play has no cash shop.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    The average non-forum goer gamer isn't even going to realize some people think this is a bad decision. Get over it.

Originally posted by xpiher

@rodarin

Like I said, manufactured indignation over a design choice. Your still going to buy tho from an earlier post you made.

I'm just calling it how I see it. The physical collectors edition is worth the price TO ME because of the physical stuff it comes with. I was planning on buying it regardless of the in game extras it comes with because : its limited 2 I like Elder Scrolls swag. But don't mistake this as me saying that what they are doing with the race-unlock is justified. Its not. Its a money grab since it was put in place in the beginning stages of the game design to "make it work for an MMO" when its could have easily been scrapped and been a lore choice. People were like "wtf why!?" and "Man I wish I could play Drummer but play for the Daggerfall Covenant" and those cries made zenimax/bethesda see $$

Games:
    Past games:
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611

@rodarin

LMAO really? I SUBSCRIBE to Vanguard for crying out loud. It isnt about the money. Its the principle. Why reward games/companies that do this over and over and over again?

They took the two things people bitched about the most and USED them. Its really that simple. If they could have found a way to charge for first person I am sure they would have done that at well. But theyj ust said it was impossible for them to do it, and then a couple months later at PAX they 'revealed' they had figured it out. Gimme a frigging break.

If I did have a free to play mentality like you claim I WOULD have bought it because thats how those guys think, hmm I spenf "just' 20 bucksmore and I get a whole new race? Well I was going to buy it anyway might as well spend the extra 20 bux and get it all". Which in a sub game and people who pay a sub understand that concept you should get it all for the same price as everyone else. 

Also in conjunction with that they offered a 25% coupon off either pre order. so more marketing. That then lets some people justify the purchase by saying, well theyre now giving me the Imperial edition for the same price as the original standard edition so it all evens out I suppose.

But it doesnt because when the game is free for everyone to play then everyone will get that stuff for the same price if not cheaper. The only 'advantage' at that point will be guys will have been playing since April.

But it will continue the precedent that peopel WILL pay extra for stuff even if the game is subscription.

Dont think Wildstar isnt watching this as well. Dont be surprised if they do something similar or maybe even push it alittle more, even if ESO 'fails' to deliver in the game play department.

Used to be having a subscription made it 'safe' from cash grabs and selling shit in a store, not so anymore. The arguments the guys made about this game having a sub are mot. I told them that back in August, but they didnt want ot hear it. I said it should be buy to pay because I saw this coming. Said so on the Bethesda boards.

But whatever no one is going to convice anyone to change their minds but there might still be a few on thefence and those are the ones who need the 'information'.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    I blame the gamers for this and not the companies, just suck it up It's your fault.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• meupatraomeupatrao Member UncommonPosts: 6

If you think that the company is abusing you, just dont buy the game, its simple, crying about it will not change the fact.

I completely agree if this guys over there, all this crying its just because they cant afford. I will buy the imperial version just because a can and its the best version, I dont give a shit about the itens included.

• ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669

I hope it sells record breaking numbers. 

Then I hope more hyped up and long awaited MMO's come out and do the same. Maybe pre-order at Gamestop for one race, pre-order at Amazon for another. And if you want all the content, you have to buy the super mega special edition. 

That's what we need, man! Box price+Monthly Fee+Fee to Unlock Playable Races (and hopefully, eventually, whole areas and story arcs)+Fee for vanity items+Fee For Expansions.

That would be so rad, I'm tellin' ya! Who cares about them people living in poverty that can't afford to pay more for basic extra stuff. 

;D

Originally posted by lafaiel

@rodarin

Or maybe, just maybe its not about the money but about not letting a company walk all over you there by setting a precedent for more of the same later on. Nice flame bait there though.  I'm already playing the I want to play so not interested in ESO but what do does affect me as it affects the whole industry.  I'm just lucky the game I play has no cash shop.

Which corresponds into the decision to buy or don't buy. You talk about the supposed hit to the industry or genre and you are correct. I don't like the current industry because of all the entitled  WoWers, and console kiddies have ruined a genre that I helped build. My railing at it at the top of my lungs didn't change anything tho.

If truth be told, a lot of my reason to buy this game is because it has a little bit of challenge built into it. Challenge thats been missing from MMO's the past 8 years. I am very happy that the pricing of the game will almost keep out the vast majority of people who would see that challenge changed so that they can play. Knowing this, I am HAPPY to pay extra to help the company recoup its investments and make a profit.

I'll just leave this here

http://tamrielfoundry.com/2014/01/pre-order-reactions/

Going to say that the author of the post above makes a good point about the faction system being lessened by the unlock choice; although I disagree with the lock choice being tied to races that affect game play anyways (wouldn't have mattered if the race choices had no baring on game play from a max level perspective though)

Games:
    Past games:
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • meupatraomeupatrao Member UncommonPosts: 6
    Originally posted by lafaiel

@rodarin

Which corresponds into the decision to buy or don't buy. You talk about the supposed hit to the industry or genre and you are correct. I don't like the current industry because of all the entitled  WoWers, and console kiddies have ruined a genre that I helped build. My railing at it at the top of my lungs didn't change anything tho.

If truth be told, a lot of my reason to buy this game is because it has a little bit of challenge built into it. Challenge thats been missing from MMO's the past 8 years. I am very happy that the pricing of the game will almost keep out the vast majority of people who would see that challenge changed so that they can play. Knowing this, I am HAPPY to pay extra to help the company recoup its investments and make a profit.

Totally agree! buy it or dont, stop complaining just because you cant afford it.   Im happy to pay extra too, this price will keep kids and crying trolls out of the game!!! o/

Originally posted by ThumbtackJ

Then I hope more hyped up and long awaited MMO's come out and do the same. Maybe pre-order at Gamestop for one race, pre-order at Amazon for another. And if you want all the content, you have to buy the super mega special edition. 

That's what we need, man! Box price+Monthly Fee+Fee to Unlock Playable Races (and hopefully, eventually, whole areas and story arcs)+Fee for vanity items+Fee For Expansions.

That would be so rad, I'm tellin' ya! Who cares about them people living in poverty that can't afford to pay more for basic extra stuff. 

;D

Never understood this argument.  If the above argument is true then that person should not be playing a game. Most of their focus should be on bettering themselves in Rl and not some MMO.  You might say, well what about when I am not at work. If the above is true you should be eating,sleeping, working, learning to better yourself. Anything else is pure laziness.

;D

Never understood this argument.  If the above argument is true then that person should not be playing a game. Most of their focus should be on bettering themselves in Rl and not some MMO.  You might say, well what about when I am not at work. If the above is true you should be eating,sleeping, working, learning to better yourself. Anything else is pure laziness.

I'm lost. 

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005
    Originally posted by Margulis

I've defended the game here and I stick by my opinions that the GAME itself is a lot better than what it is made out to be.  But this decision with the CE and pre-orders has seriously got to be one of the WORST ideas I have ever seen a company make. 

The big issue:  This isn't a F2P game!  If it was you could get away with charging extra for an entire race, but you are asking for box sale, plus sub (P2P game) and STILL pay locking content.  And this isn't just some dumb costume or mount, it is an ENTIRE RACE.  And this is after you said you wouldn't do this sort of thing!

Zenimax, you are already battling a negative public eye, with articles coming out about predicted failures, most likely to flop, hate all over the internet, etc etc.  And this was JUST starting to turn around some after the last beta.  There was a new positive spin from a lot of people.  Obviously not all, but quite a few.  Now you go and do this - what is going on with your heads?!  Is it really worth a few extra CE purchases from people who really want to be an Imperial to incur the MASSIVE backlash and hate this decision is provoking, and subsequent lost sales?  This decision isn't just going to go away, for the entirety of the game's life people will talk about it, see Imperials running around and ask "I want to be an Imperial how do I get to be that?"  "Oh you can't unless you got the CE when it launched."

You have 2 months to fix this Zenimax, make it available to everyone.  Because you are doing WAYYYYYY more harm to yourself financially as it stands with the public backlash and hate than the small boost you would get from a few extra CE sales.

So if they waited 2 months and offered this for the same price difference as an expansion would it make a difference? Don't mmos frequently add new races and such as expansions?

;D

I'm lost. 

My point exactly.

;D

I'm lost. 

My point exactly.

Still lost. I was just sarcastically pointing out that the acceptance of this behavior (from these large companies) from gamers like us can only lead to worse things inevitably. It starts out as a pay-gated race in a P2P+Box price MMO. Then what? Where does the lines get drawn? People are saying now, "It's only a race!", when will it be, "It's only one area/story arc/continent/etc."? 

Box Price+Monthly sub was fine, I'm more than down with that, and have been for the last 12 years. But when companies want to start double, triple, and even quad-dipping, it becomes a real problem. When you have Box Fees(and expansion)+Monthly Fees+Unlock Fees (for big ticket, main content stuff like races)+Item Shop Fees, that's poor business practice in my opinion. But it's even worse when consumers stand by and accept it.

• ThornrageThornrage Member UncommonPosts: 659
    Where does the lines get drawn? People are saying now, "It's only a race!", when will it be, "It's only one area/story arc/continent/etc."? 

DLC? Expansion? They already do that.

However ...

If a game started selling areas/story arc/content as a pre-order or CE that can not be gotten any other way, then I would reject it.

As for the Imperial, it does not change the game.

"I don't give a sh*t what other people say. I play what I like and I'll pay to do it too!" - SerialMMOist

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    This is a new era, where companies charge for basic game feature like quickbar, title hide/show, helmet hide/show and add some more lame monetizing you can name. compared to that i don't think  zenimax is doing something really horrific. but they will obviously do something worse soon but as i have said we are in a new era, might as well get used to it.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360

Please, let's have a moment and hear my words of wisdom...

*clears throat* 

If you want to be "heard", making forum threads will not solve the matter...

Speak with your wallet, do not buy it.

I dare anyone to disagree with me that the best way for us gamers to show disapproval is with our wallet.

And as long as the majority of gamers keep willingly paying full retail price for an 80% complete game and then buying the remaining 20% as DLC on release, the greedy companies will still keep doing it.

If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation