Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Zenimax - it takes work to make a decision this bad

Comments

• asrlohzasrlohz Member Posts: 645
    Originally posted by Iselin
    Originally posted by Brabbit1987
    Originally posted by Margulis

The big issue:  This isn't a F2P game!  If it was you could get away with charging extra for an entire race, but you are asking for box sale, plus sub (P2P game) and STILL pay locking content.  And this isn't just some dumb costume or mount, it is an ENTIRE RACE.  And this is after you said you wouldn't do this sort of thing!

They're not charging extra for an entire race, they're charging $20 for a collector's edition. That CE, instead of just having the usual fluffy stuff that you outgrow by level 10, has something more durable this time: a mount and an entire race.

A race which BTW, all of us were prepared to live without until 24 hours ago. It has only inexplicably (who the f**k ever plays a damn imperial in any ES game?) become a highly coveted item simply because not everyone gets it.

I find it so odd how you always argue with me about cash shops and nickel and dimeing players. Yet you are ok with them locking an entire race by a pay gate which is something you would only usually see with a F2P game which you hate so much.

Whether or not the race is popular or not doesn't really matter. It's content that really shouldn't be locked in a P2P game.

Well it only validates my reason even more on why I think this game is absolute garbage. But hey .. people LOVE garbage in this day and age. Go figure.

You thought the inevitable Collector's Edition was going to be the same price as the standard? Good one!

Please point to me where I said that o.o?

There... in red for you. The $20 extra for the CE is what I assume you're referring to as locking content and putting an entire race behind a pay gate. You either really don't understand how Collector Editions work or you're pretending not to... I'm betting on door #2.

It's just another CE with stuff... good stuff  as CEs go for a change.... and that's all it is.

But as you say, you think the game is absolute garbage, so it's not surprising that you would try to spin the CE perks the way you have.

Iselin... It's not part of the CE. This is actually a kind of cash shop. It's not exclusive to the CE owners. Say for example that you purchase the standard edition, if you then want to you can upgrade to the Digital CE. This can be done at anytime by anyone.

In WoW's CE your vanity pets and what not remain exclusive to owners of the made CEs. They don't allow you to purchase tiny Frostwyrms. And that's the point, after several years that pet will be cool and unique. But the Mudcrab won't be rare. Everyone will have it and the only thing the CE people have for show are the three physical items.

• SandioSandio Member UncommonPosts: 11
    Last few weeks people are whining that they can't play classes across factions and now people whine opposite.

I love whiners =)
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

the funny thing is 2 days ago, Imperials werent even a race, and I didnt see anybody bitching about them not being included.

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by Sandio
    Last few weeks people are whining that they can't play classes across factions and now people whine opposite.

I love whiners =)

Clearly it's the people who were happy with race locks who are now the whiners.

But yes this day has been gloriously fun what with all the boo-hoo and QQ.

• Species5021Species5021 Member Posts: 44

I think a lot of people saw this CE idea coming from miles away, wouldnt be the first time a company locked a race out of the launch (star trek online launch anyone?) with the collectors edition.

My downside is, i live in the EU and the 80 dollars collectors edition simply gets turned into an 80 euro collectors edition. Which at the current dollar/euro rate makes it cost about $108.99,-

So no i wont be buying the CE, not with the still ridiculous exchange rates being made. I'm even hesitant about buying the normal edition at launch because of the current state of the game. I personally do not think the game is worth buying yet.

Even though im a hopeless mmo addict and quite liked the beta events.

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Originally posted by markrain5
    I've defended this game a lot on other forums, granted I'm new here.  But seriously, the people who endlessly defend this kind of marketing scheme and call the people who question it just whiners?  You're the ones responsible for decisions like this and why companies continue to push the envelope ever further with what they can get away with.  Because not only are they taking advantage of you, but they do it and the own people they take advantage of welcome it, defend it, support it.  It's like a guy being whipped screaming yes yes more!!!  So sad how easily people can be manipulated and molded into what big companies desire.

Calling people whiners is generally uncalled for.  But no, they aren't "taking advantage" of anyone.  They are offering different levels of product.  It is up to each individual to decide if what they are offering is worth it.  And it is no more reasonable for you to accuse somebody who thinks the Imperial Edition provides good value of being a masochistic moron than it is for people who like the decision to call people like you whiners.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• SabasSabas Member UncommonPosts: 217

I bought the standard edition with the explorers pack.

Having said that I still think what ZOS did was pretty stupid.

Their entire reasoning for why they went with the pay2play model seems invalid now.

• KaosProphetKaosProphet Member Posts: 379
    Originally posted by Gaoxin

Star Trek Online did this 4 years ago.

Buy lifetime sub = get an "exclusive" race. "exclusive" because 50% of the population played that race.^^ NOT THAT EXCLUSIVE AND UNIQUE.

The price of the lifetime sub was around 150€, so I guess about the same amount you would pay for a CE.

I don't get why someone would rage about not be able to play Imperial. Its not like they are giving you a cool/unique race. Its just HUMANS, the most common race in every MMORPG. Most races look almost the same anyway.

You have:

Breton = humans

Redguard = humans

Orc = humans with green skin and ugly faces

Nord = humans with the height scale set to max

Dark Elf = humans with darker skin and pointy ears

High Elf = humans with green/yellow skin and pointy ears

Wood Elf = humans with pointy ears

Khajit = A UNIQUE RACE

Argonian = A UNIQUE RACE

By the logic used to simplify the orcs into "humans with green skin," one could just as easily claim

Khajit = humans with fur

Argonian = humans with scaly skin

because oversimplification ftw.
  • KaosProphetKaosProphet Member Posts: 379
    Originally posted by CazNeerg
    Originally posted by markrain5
    I've defended this game a lot on other forums, granted I'm new here.  But seriously, the people who endlessly defend this kind of marketing scheme and call the people who question it just whiners?  You're the ones responsible for decisions like this and why companies continue to push the envelope ever further with what they can get away with.  Because not only are they taking advantage of you, but they do it and the own people they take advantage of welcome it, defend it, support it.  It's like a guy being whipped screaming yes yes more!!!  So sad how easily people can be manipulated and molded into what big companies desire.

Calling people whiners is generally uncalled for.  But no, they aren't "taking advantage" of anyone.  They are offering different levels of product.  It is up to each individual to decide if what they are offering is worth it.  

I'm fine with that.

And I was always in favor of doing away with the faction locks in general.

I am, however, concerned by the fact that they so easily threw away a design decision that they were so vehemently adamant was *necessary,* at the last minute.  Such a move without even a 'mea culpa' on their aforementioned position does not bode well for the long-term viability of the product.

And it is no more reasonable for you to accuse somebody who thinks the Imperial Edition provides good value of being a masochistic moron than it is for people who like the decision to call people like you whiners.

Also, as an actual masochist, I consider the reduction of my sexuality to a negative stereotype both ignorant and offensive.

• trisoxtrisox Member UncommonPosts: 51
    Originally posted by JeroKane
    Originally posted by trisox

my biggest issue with it arent the preorder CE items themselves.

Usually you can see how developers are aiming to develop the game over it's lifetime. This one seems to be kinda like a "Singleplayer-fast-moneygrab-game" due to all the stuff they are currently pushing out. You know, Box price, Subscription Fee, Ingame Cash Shop AND a cashgrab CE Edition. All in all this seems like a very short "project" of Bethesda - just grabbing as much money as they can before killing off the game, going free to play or even worse: shutting down the servers.

All these things just point into that direction and i don't feel supporting them until the game truly proves it doesnt want to go this way.

Just my to cents, opinions are welcome! :)

QFT!

Except for the part in red that's not even remotely a "T"?

Im, sorry did i get that wrong? I'm pretty sure they announced an item-shop a while a go. So u will have Boxprice, Sub & Shop

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

I doubt they'll undo the whole thing now that pre-orders have started and they've begun accepting money from people.

If there's one thing a company hates it's giving money back. image

That being said, I personally wouldn't care if they removed the "play any race in any alliance part!" - it wouldn't make me cancel my pre-order as I'm fine with either way.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

Usually you can see how developers are aiming to develop the game over it's lifetime. This one seems to be kinda like a "Singleplayer-fast-moneygrab-game" due to all the stuff they are currently pushing out. You know, Box price, Subscription Fee, Ingame Cash Shop AND a cashgrab CE Edition. All in all this seems like a very short "project" of Bethesda - just grabbing as much money as they can before killing off the game, going free to play or even worse: shutting down the servers.

All these things just point into that direction and i don't feel supporting them until the game truly proves it doesnt want to go this way.

QFT!

Im, sorry did i get that wrong? I'm pretty sure they announced an item-shop a while a go. So u will have Boxprice, Sub & Shop

It wouldn't surprise me.

And feel free to blame WoW if it turns out there is indeed a cash shop.

The industry "leader" doing it is pretty much a nod to the others that's it's okay to do this.

That being said, I don't mind a cash shop as long as it's well done and it restricts itself to cosmetics.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade

Except that the WoW cash shop has only cosmetic stuff, pets and mounts, nothing else. No races.

But yeah, it's cool to hate on WoW, the ideal scapegoat...

And WoW never done anything like that during launch. Now it's no longer hard to get mounts. And no body cares about the cosmetics since they aren't exclusive.

But restricting a race? That's just low. I don't care whether or not I have it. Either they need to make only the Imperial armour craftable limited to the original CE owners. Not the "upgradees". And if not, the race should be added to the public, with all the perks and armour styles. That's what the subscription is supposed to be paying for.

Except that the WoW cash shop has only cosmetic stuff, pets and mounts, nothing else. No races.

Which I suspect would or will be the same content the ESO store would have.

There is nothing to indicate that they plan to sell races on it, so if they are the devil for having a Cash shop, well, they aren't the only one.

I have nothing against WoW's cash shop, anyone who's ever played the game knows it isn't even anything new - it's been there all along, you just had to do it through the website instead of having an in-game interface.

You don't get to condemn one developer for doing something while letting another off the hook for doing the very same thing.

Sorry.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433
    Yup, this seems like a crappy practice, not a good sign for things to come.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• trisoxtrisox Member UncommonPosts: 51

QFT!

It wouldn't surprise me.

The industry "leader" doing it is pretty much a nod to the others that's it's okay to do this.

That being said, I don't mind a cash shop as long as it's well done and it restricts itself to cosmetics.

well, actually they announced it and almost every site has an article about it. question truly is if its only cosmetic or gamebreaking. though i think if they had a itemshop for cosmetics only, they might have cleared that out by now (as this is pretty old news from maybe about 4-5 weeks ago now)

by the way: i didnt mean to unleash cash shop hate with my original post - i was just pointing out where the game seems to be headed

QFT!

It wouldn't surprise me.

well, actually they announced it and almost every site has an article about it. question truly is if its only cosmetic or gamebreaking. though i think if they had a itemshop for cosmetics only, they might have cleared that out by now (as this is pretty old news from maybe about 4-5 weeks ago now)

If it's not just cosmetics... yeah, that would bode ill for the game and the way they intend to run it.

I doubt they would be stupid enough to do something like that though, every MMO that's tried something like it on the western market was a bust.

Hopefully we'll get a bit more insight into the cash shop in the coming months.

• ToneFishToneFish Member UncommonPosts: 13

It is clear that the developer has to make money but I do agree that decision seems somewhat contradictory to their justification of the P2P model for ESO.

The ESO director  Matt Firor previously stated:

"We wanted to do monetisation outside of the game. So, if I pay for a month at a time, I have 100 per cent of the game. I don't have to worry about paying one more cent. I'll never run into a pay gate and I'll be in the world."

So one main reason behind the monthly subscription was that they wanted to be able to offer 100% of the game to everyone  -  this could now be argued that to some extent is no longer true.

Originally posted by ToneFish

It is clear that the developer has to make money but I do agree that decision seems somewhat contradictory to their justification of the P2P model for ESO.

The director  Matt Firor previously stated:

"We wanted to do monetisation outside of the game. So, if I pay for a month at a time, I have 100 per cent of the game. I don't have to worry about paying one more cent. I'll never run into a pay gate and I'll be in the world."

So one main reason behind the monthly subscription was that they wanted to be able to offer 100% of the game to everyone  -  this could now be argued that to some extent is no longer true.

Aye, this isn't too bad though. But that's not the point. The point is how the make a complete U-Turn on their previous announcements of faction pride, non-tolerance for paygates and so on.

So how can we trust them that they won't keep adding these paygates if they're already doing it before launch?

Will that 1% paygate start expanding into 25% and so on? How are we to trust them?

• jeffreynljeffreynl Member Posts: 5
    Originally posted by KaosProphet
    Originally posted by Gaoxin

Star Trek Online did this 4 years ago.

Buy lifetime sub = get an "exclusive" race. "exclusive" because 50% of the population played that race.^^ NOT THAT EXCLUSIVE AND UNIQUE.

The price of the lifetime sub was around 150€, so I guess about the same amount you would pay for a CE.

I don't get why someone would rage about not be able to play Imperial. Its not like they are giving you a cool/unique race. Its just HUMANS, the most common race in every MMORPG. Most races look almost the same anyway.

You have:

Breton = humans

Redguard = humans

Orc = humans with green skin and ugly faces

Nord = humans with the height scale set to max

Dark Elf = humans with darker skin and pointy ears

High Elf = humans with green/yellow skin and pointy ears

Wood Elf = humans with pointy ears

Khajit = A UNIQUE RACE

Argonian = A UNIQUE RACE

By the logic used to simplify the orcs into "humans with green skin," one could just as easily claim

Khajit = humans with fur

Argonian = humans with scaly skin

because oversimplification ftw.

You sir are just a pure win ! Have my kudo!

Anyways, I'm curious what everyone would say if they included everything but the Imperial Race! So you can still craft their armors and stuff, but just not access the Race itself....

Would everyone then just start complaining about the lack of CE content?

• AsariashaAsariasha Member UncommonPosts: 252

Originally posted by Asariasha

Your poverty pisses me off!

When you buy a box of cornflakes in the supermarket and get an extra pack of Rice Pops for buying the bigger box, or if you buy a car and get certain pay-configurations on top for choosing the more expensive version, absolutely no one is argueing. If this very traditional business model is used in online games, people start moaning, complaining and try to make a shitstorm out of it.

Get over it. This is how the world works and in this case it is only a few bucks. If you want something special, you have to pay for it. If you can't afford it, then you better start to work for it or simply begin saving for it.

Difference is, when you pay extra for more, you tend to get ... things that are not standard. Keyword, standard.

A race in a game that has been part of the series for some time all of a sudden costing extra when in the past it was standard is not good. Unique Mounts, pets, items ... are all not standard. A well known race that is suppose to be part of the game is standard.

Not correct. Zenimax never announced the Imperial as race. The Digital Imperial Edition simply is the answer to several players interest to play races outside of their given alliance. It is a good idea and I believe that many players will decide to get this package.

Originally posted by inemosz

Originally posted by Asariasha

Your poverty pisses me off!

When you buy a box of cornflakes in the supermarket and get an extra pack of Rice Pops for buying the bigger box, or if you buy a car and get certain pay-configurations on top for choosing the more expensive version, absolutely no one is argueing. If this very traditional business model is used in online games, people start moaning, complaining and try to make a shitstorm out of it.

Get over it. This is how the world works and in this case it is only a few bucks. If you want something special, you have to pay for it. If you can't afford it, then you better start to work for it or simply begin saving for it.

Sir, you are the perfect model of F2P player

Haha. Actually I am a P2P Fanboi. P2P gives a developer more freedom in planning future high quality content and is a great filter to ensure quality of the playerbase. In my opinion, the Digital Imperial Edition is a fair deal.

I simply am willing to pay for all the hard work and the hopefully great game that the Zenimax Team created. I'm just not a "greed is good" guy. If it is worth the bucks and if I'm interested in something, I buy it. That's all.

• snake123433snake123433 Member UncommonPosts: 1
    mhmm

• WikileaksEUWikileaksEU Member UncommonPosts: 108
    If they make it available for everyone the CE isn't worth much.
  • MoLoK_MoLoK_ Member UncommonPosts: 307
    Originally posted by Sandio

I love whiners =)

What?

You could play classes across factions. Now you can play as any race in any faction, if you preorder. But you cant play Imperial unless you buy the CE or upgrade to it after release inte Zenimax cash shop.

What is reeeeeaaaallly strange is that you are still faction locked. You will never be able to PvE toghether with other factions. You are still faction locked.

Unless you will be able to switch faction in Zenimax cash shop. And of course you will be able to do that.

Box price, sub fee + cash shop for extra content.

This will seriously hurt the game. I was looking forward to it. Now its kinda obvious its going F2P within a year.

• lunatiquezlunatiquez Member UncommonPosts: 381

Which I suspect would or will be the same content the ESO store would have.

There is nothing to indicate that they plan to sell races on it, so if they are the devil for having a Cash shop, well, they aren't the only one.

I have nothing against WoW's cash shop, anyone who's ever played the game knows it isn't even anything new - it's been there all along, you just had to do it through the website instead of having an in-game interface.

You don't get to condemn one developer for doing something while letting another off the hook for doing the very same thing.

Sorry.

Check this out

"Can I upgrade to the Digital Imperial Edition?

Starting April 4th, 2014 all customers who pre-purchased the Digital Standard Edition can upgrade to the Digital Imperial Edition by visiting The Elder Scrolls Online Store (https://store.elderscrollsonline.com). "

http://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/storefaq?region=UK