Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Preorder ESO: Play any race in any alliance.

MoodsorMoodsor Member UncommonPosts: 712

I am disappointed in you Bethesda and Zenimax.

http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en/preorder

• PLAY ANY RACE
    IN ANY ALLIANCE

Dunno about you guys, but to me this is not ok as a pre-order perk, and it also seems wrong lore wise.

Comments

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Moodsor

• PLAY ANY RACE
      IN ANY ALLIANCE

Dunno about you guys, but to me this is not ok as a pre-order perk, and it also seems wrong lore wise.

Its wrong lore wise for it to be otherwise, alliances should never have been based on race type, that their allowing this in pre-orders must mean that the backlash from that never actually went away. image

• MarkusrindMarkusrind Member Posts: 359

Lol.

comical

• AdokasAdokas Member CommonPosts: 217
    Uh, maybe I'm just not seeing it, but it's not play any race in any Alliance...? It's gain access to the IMPERIAL race, and play that race in any alliance?
    Originally posted by Adokas
    Uh, maybe I'm just not seeing it, but it's not play any race in any Alliance...? It's gain access to the IMPERIAL race, and play that race in any alliance?

Check the bottom of the page

• MoodsorMoodsor Member UncommonPosts: 712

No look under preorder perks.

• AdokasAdokas Member CommonPosts: 217

No look under preorder perks.

Oh, yeah there it is. That's a bit dodgy oO

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

last time i saw a mmo do this was Shadowbane in 2002

http://www.mpogd.com/news/?ID=373

Shadowbane's pre-order races are a bonus to players who want to pre-order the game and immediately explore the Shadowbane world as a Minotaur, Centaur or Aracroix

Originally posted by Phry

• PLAY ANY RACE
      IN ANY ALLIANCE

Its wrong lore wise for it to be otherwise, alliances should never have been based on race type, that their allowing this in pre-orders must mean that the backlash from that never actually went away. image

It has always been my main gripe with the game design. Too late now though, just proves all the reasons given were utter crap.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Markusrind

• PLAY ANY RACE
      IN ANY ALLIANCE

It has always been my main gripe with the game design. Too late now though, just proves all the reasons given were utter crap.

To me its just an indication that things are falling apart at the seams. image

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237
    I am not sure why this is a preorder perk. This should be just in the game, not for pre order only.  Kind of a dick move IMO.
  • UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

Can only play imperial if you order the imperial edition.

Can only play any race in any alliance if you pre order.

Sure doesn't sound like they're trying to milk the IP or are concerned about sales at all. 

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309
     it also seems wrong lore wise.

I'm not expert, but I don't think there is anything in Elder Scrolls lore which stipulates that being born of a certain race removes from a person the free will to fight for whoever they want. 

Tbh though, they should allow people from different alliances to group for certain things also, especially since that's clearly allowed by the lore. 

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

all pre-orders get access to the explorers pack

commentary from this link

http://eldersouls.com/_/elder-scrolls-online/news/eso-imperial-edition-new-playable-race-r170

Well I bit the bullet and bought the digital Imperial version. I got an interesting E-mail.

"Thank you for purchasing The Elder Scrolls® Online Digital Imperial Edition. In addition to the Digital Imperial Edition, you’re now registered for The Explorer’s Pack, which includes the following digital rewards:

• The ability to play as any race in any alliance
    • The Scuttler vanity pet
    • Exclusive treasure maps
    • Early game access

You’ll receive these digital rewards when you first log-in to The Elder Scrolls® Online game at official launch. We’ll also contact you at your account’s registered email address with information about early game access as we get closer to game release in April 2014."

Originally posted by arieste

I'm not expert, but I don't think there is anything in Elder Scrolls lore which stipulates that being born of a certain race removes from a person the free will to fight for whoever they want. 

Tbh though, they should allow people from different alliances to group for certain things also, especially since that's clearly allowed by the lore. 

According to the arguments to justify their 3 faction PVP setup this is totally against how they designed the game....they make it up as they go along it seems!!!

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

According to the arguments to justify their 3 faction PVP setup this is totally against how they designed the game....they make it up as they go along it seems!!!

There is very clear precedent for this in the design of the game.  If you want to know the details, there is beta. 

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

No I believed they felt strongly that the race lock was important, but feedback or fears have caused someone with clout to make this offer.  It looks like a desperate move and it makes the devs appear foolish for saying how important the race lock was to the game. I don't know what they are thinking.

• CalvenCalven Member Posts: 151

• PLAY ANY RACE
      IN ANY ALLIANCE

I agree. The existing factions were based on the lore shared between the races and they spent so much time setting them apart from each other, igniting enemities and establishing common goals between the races in each of the factions. This announcement effectively disregards any of this. In my opinion they can't keep these factions and still allow people to play in them regardless of what their races are. I'm completely stunned by this move..

• muthaxmuthax Member UncommonPosts: 703

Or people cried and cried because they couldn't play any combination of race and alliance so they decided to add it as a preorder perk?  But of course, why look for rational explanations when you can use them to feed the Hate?

• RollieJoeRollieJoe Member UncommonPosts: 451

At this point now that we know the facts about the preorder and deluxe edition perks, which include access to more races with bonuses, faster mounts, and more, anyone who thinks this game won't launch (or add shortly after launch) a cash-shop selling cosmetic AND non-cosmetic goods is simply naïve. 

Box sales made companies lots of money.  Subscriptions every month made them more.   F2P/P2W cash shops made them even more than that.  But now they have realized, why not have box sales, subscriptions, AND a F2P/P2W cash shop, all three at the same time?!   Welcome to MMO's in 2014.  Massive Money Obtainers

• Eol-Eol- Member UncommonPosts: 274

To me, its an indication that companies that go into business to make money, like to make money. That will be a popular perk and will no doubt encourage some players to pre-order.

And I don't quite understand some of the comments. Rather than see this as a sell-out by ESO, why not see it as a way of responding to customer concerns? Personally I was fine with their alliance system, but some people had very strong feelings about being limited to a certain alliance when they pick a race. Now those people have a way of playing the race they want in the alliance they want. IMO its a win/win.

Elladan - ESO (AD)
    Camring - SWTOR (Ebon Hawk)
    Eol & Justinian - Rift (Faeblight)
    Ceol and Duri - LotRO (Landroval)
    Kili - WoW
    Eol - Lineage 2
    Camring - SWG
    Justinian (Nimue), Camring - DAoC

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123

Just got back after a lengthy ban.

reason for my ban...arguing about the stupid design locking race into faction choice. 

Problem now is they designed the entire game around the fight for cyrodil and the reason for each racial faction lock. 

We'll....9 months of pointing out how stupid it was to lock factions and races together but they now do it and forget to change the lore they worked so hard to use for justification.

makes my return all the sweeter lol

• CalvenCalven Member Posts: 151
    Originally posted by muthax

Or people cried and cried because they couldn't play any combination of race and alliance so they decided to add it as a preorder perk?  But of course, why look for rational explanations when you can use them to feed the Hate?

Then they should allow all non-pre order games as well this benefit. The factions are basially useless now considering how much lore they put in to justify them. I'd have liked the factions to race neutral but the current one's aren't and that is why the game and its PvP will suffer

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    This is crazy. The people that were trying to convince others that race lock was about faction pride just got gutshot. What is their PR team doing over there?
  • iseldieraiseldiera Member Posts: 36

No I believed they felt strongly that the race lock was important, but feedback or fears have caused someone with clout to make this offer.  It looks like a desperate move and it makes the devs appear foolish for saying how important the race lock was to the game. I don't know what they are thinking.

I completely agree with you. What are these guys even THINKING?

You build a whole new game on the idea of these 3 races trying despite all difficulties to unite against the bigger threat (of other factions)

You write complete lore and quest lines based on this.

You even threaten the openness associated with do anything anywhere feel of ESO world in the process.

You come to this point of development, with all the negatives and positives these past decisions entail. 

and suddenly BAM any race in any faction! How will this be incorporated considering all the voice acting and texts of the quest lines? What about true realm pride based on your races? 

This is a move that is as much an outrage as introduction of paladins in horde for 'balance purposes'.

This would be as much an outrage as allowing norsemen as a race in Hibernia in DaoC.

Ugh, disgusted.

• muthaxmuthax Member UncommonPosts: 703
    Originally posted by Calven

Then they should allow all non-pre order games as well this benefit. The factions are basially useless now considering how much lore they put in to justify them. I'd have liked the factions to race neutral but the current one's aren't and that is why the game and its PvP will suffer

Quite the opposite I hope they start taking away races from the standard edition and adding them only to the Imperial Edition!