Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I am outraged at the "Play an Imperial on either Faction" CE Bonus!!

Comments

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by squalleonaha

then why Bethesa have to make Breton, Red ward, emperial, Nord?

those are just human race with....." Just with different-looking armor. "

Probably because humans are popular and wanted each alliance to have a human race option.   Just like each alliance has 1 elf option and 1 non-humanoid option. 

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915
    Originally posted by sludgebeard

I mean don't get me wrong I'm still buying the CE...

Then you are clearly not outraged over this 1st world problem.

• squalleonahasqualleonaha Member Posts: 211
    Originally posted by arieste

Probably because humans are popular and wanted each alliance to have a human race option.   Just like each alliance has 1 elf option and 1 non-humanoid option. 

face it, its doesnt change the fact that  they are selling races in a P2P game.

i had this experiences with FF14 where they quick grab your money and then remake the game, call its NEW game and want you to buy it again.

i'll hold off to buy EOS for some month and see how thing go.

• Joejc7135Joejc7135 Member UncommonPosts: 214

Don't see what all the fuss is over...I mean this is the kind of treatment gullible mmo players invite on themselves. When you buy into hype trains and suck farts out of the dev teams collective asses...this is what you get...a wet fart straight down your gullet. I wouldn't say im outraged but I certainly think it's ridiculous that you are expected to pay a sub and that doesn't even grant you access to all the races...

The "it's only cosmetic" excuse doesn't really fly...how about we just strip the game down to numbers and wireframes then? Since it's all just cosmetic anyway.....they can charge 5 dollars per unique texture. I'm sure the fanboys here would defend that and drop to their knees in gratitude.

• Joejc7135Joejc7135 Member UncommonPosts: 214
    Actually this is a 3rd world problem guys...I was gonna send a check to sally struthers but now im being forced to spend it on ESO CE....I hope your proud of yourselves Zenimax...some starving kids are gonna keep starving b/c you just have to milk the retarded cow also know as ES fans....for shame.
  • koljanekoljane Member UncommonPosts: 171

Never liked Elder Scroll Lore or anything so I basicly don`t care. But as someone mentioned this sounds like Final Fantasy. They are at the end of the road and they know that they made a game that will be played by ppl that love Elder Scroll. ESO will not make any big impact or bring anything new to the gender just the universe ppl like to play in it. Same as SWTOR, if that is not a Star Wars game it would be already canceled, same goes with ESO. 

So it is time to grab the money before ppl even try to play it, good job, but most of ppl got burned in the past to do the same mistake.

• muthaxmuthax Member UncommonPosts: 703

yep, the world is definetely OUTRAGED:

The Elder Scrolls Online Store is currently unavailable. We are aware of the issue and working to resolve it as soon as possible.

LOL they crashed the store trying to get a copy.. this is gonna sell so well that all the 'special kids' on thsi site will look even stupidier than usual

• muthaxmuthax Member UncommonPosts: 703
    Originally posted by koljane

Never liked Elder Scroll Lore or anything so I basicly don`t care. But as someone mentioned this sounds like Final Fantasy. They are at the end of the road and they know that they made a game that will be played by ppl that love Elder Scroll. ESO will not make any big impact or bring anything new to the gender just the universe ppl like to play in it. Same as SWTOR, if that is not a Star Wars game it would be already canceled, same goes with ESO. 

So it is time to grab the money before ppl even try to play it, good job, but most of ppl got burned in the past to do the same mistake.

Ah, the amount of nonsense and generic fear mongering you managed to condense in those few lines, is amazing,

BRAVO!

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by arieste

face it, its doesnt change the fact that  they are selling races in a P2P game.

i had this experiences with FF14 where they quick grab your money and then remake the game, call its NEW game and want you to buy it again.

i'll hold off to buy EOS for some month and see how thing go.

Yes. They're selling an additional human race, in a game where you already get THREE of them for free.    

They're also selling a white horse.  This is what collector's editions are all about imo, so i don't see a problem with it.  Not going to buy it, but don't have any problem with it existing.  I mean, it would suck more if the collection edition didn't give you anything unique at all. 

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093
    Actually what you should be outraged over is that another preorder bonus is that you can play any race in any alliance. It's right there at the bottom: http://elderscrollsonline.com/en/preorder
  • DraucantDraucant Member UncommonPosts: 34
    Don't know why some people keep bringing up FFXIV...seeing how if you bought the original you didn't have to buy FFXIV 2.0.

Now about the ESO perks, pre orders don't cost extra so thats not really a pay gate. The CE is how ever, but honestly I don't care. I was going to play a Nord no matter what. It would have made more sense, lore wise, to have a quest chain to switch alliances rather then right at the start.
  • CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    What I would love to see is a breakdown of how many of the "outraged" people were already planning not to buy the game.  Because let's face it, the only relevant outrage is from people who were still potential customers.  People who already hated the game aren't relevant in any way.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• squalleonahasqualleonaha Member Posts: 211
    Originally posted by Draucant
    Don't know why some people keep bringing up FFXIV...seeing how if you bought the original you didn't have to buy FFXIV 2.0.

Now about the ESO perks, pre orders don't cost extra so thats not really a pay gate. The CE is how ever, but honestly I don't care. I was going to play a Nord no matter what. It would have made more sense, lore wise, to have a quest chain to switch alliances rather then right at the start.

well, its like you bought a pizza and see a boogee on it. when you bring back they said they'll give you a new one but you had to go half of the earth to their next store to get it.

for people experiences the disappointment with FF14 1.0. they perfer play safe this time and wait for 1-2 month to see how thing go. however if they do so, the imperial race will....sold out and its same shit for anyone not pre order.

i dont mind pre  order, its just suspicious that they dont even lift off the NDA to let people write review on it. clearly trying to quick grab money before anything happen instead of giving people choices or prove how good the game is.

• iseldieraiseldiera Member Posts: 36

After tasting what faction/realm pride is with first Shadowbane guilds and then with DaoC, the last decade in mmos was lost to me.

Then came the flicker of hope. Of 3 factions, made up of 3 races. 

There would be the realm pride. There would be the hatred of the other two factions. There would be that adrenaline rush, when you saw that other particular race on top of the hill in Cyrodiil, because you would hate it with your guts.

That was the feeling when I saw the blood red Irekei in Shadowbane,

That was the feeling when I saw the norsemen with the beard in DaoC. 

Bethesda, you promised that feeling to me! You even said "yes your enemies will have their names above their chars, unlike the stupid red and blue of Guild Wars 2!".

I was a fool to believe. 

How will you explain now the whole lore built around these races uneasily trying to form alliances against the greatest danger of other races uniting and attacking them?

How will you explain a dark elf, working alongside a high elf, who is trying to attack other dark elves? How many "oh this is a rogue drizzt do urden that switched sides" can you seriously pull off?

You were the chosen one. Now you are just another one of the many that came since 2003.

• SenanSenan Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by atticusbc
    Actually what you should be outraged over is that another preorder bonus is that you can play any race in any alliance. It's right there at the bottom: http://elderscrollsonline.com/en/preorder

Yeah, that is effing ridiculous. I can understand putting in special mounts, cosmetics, and other stuff like that in the CE -- as well as the headstart for people that pre-order -- but making it to where you have to pre-order in order to make the character you want on the faction you want? We're talking about a fairly prominent game feature here. And what do people do after the game launches and they can no longer pre-order? How do they play the race/faction choice they want with their friends? Cash shop?

The CE-exclusive race was already pushing it but this... wtf. I still plan on getting the game because I enjoy it, but this kind of thing really doesn't instill me with a whole lot of confidence for this company. I mean, what's next?

• JJ82JJ82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,258
    Originally posted by Seilan

Yeah, that is effing ridiculous. I can understand putting in special mounts, cosmetics, and other stuff like that in the CE -- as well as the headstart for people that pre-order -- but making it to where you have to pre-order in order to make the character you want on the faction you want? We're talking about a fairly prominent game feature here. And what do people do after the game launches and they can no longer pre-order? How do they play the race/faction choice they want with their friends? Cash shop?

The CE-exclusive race was already pushing it but this... wtf. I still plan on getting the game because I enjoy it, but this kind of thing really doesn't instill me with a whole lot of confidence for this company. I mean, what's next?

Well some people seem to need to be slapped in the face to see a cash grab game, some of us however saw it from the start when they showed that TESO is going to be nothing more than DaoC using TES graphics and lore.

This is just more proof that what they say is complete BS, there never was a need for race/faction locks OR closed faction lands.

Pure money grab.

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

• rockin_uforockin_ufo Member UncommonPosts: 378
    Don't care what anyone thinks, no longer getting ESO. Can't wait till it's F2P, they already got the foundations set.

Whenever i step outside, somebody claims to see the light
    It seems to me that all of us have lost our patience.
    'cause everyone thinks they're right,
    And nobody thinks that there just might
    Be more than one road to our final destination--

• aslan132aslan132 Member UncommonPosts: 619

Even though it is a pre-order perk to play any race on any faction, I wont be surprised to see this as a cash shop item soon after launch. So no worries if you dont preorder lol. 

The only part that has me alittle miffed now is that the perks are not in effect until launch day on April 4. But headstart / early access start 5 days prior. That means if you do plan to play with someone who was going to be a different race/ faction this still doesnt allow that during early access.

My GF and I plan to play together, and she wants to be a "cat person" (Khajiit). Being the nice guy I am, instead of playing the Dark Elf I wanted to play, I would play a High Elf to be on the same faction. I was happy to hear the news I could play my chosen race and she could as well, and we could play together on any faction. But now, to do this, I would have to wait until launch, rendering the early access irrelevant, or just suck it up and still play a race I didnt want (High Elf). Sadly, this is more likely the route I go, but I wont be happy about it. 

• SenanSenan Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by JJ82
    Originally posted by Seilan

Well some people seem to need to be slapped in the face to see a cash grab game, some of us however saw it from the start when they showed that TESO is going to be nothing more than DaoC using TES graphics and lore.

This is just more proof that what they say is complete BS, there never was a need for race/faction locks OR closed faction lands.

Pure money grab.

I'd say to many of us, the underlined isn't such a bad thing. And like I said, I've already tried the game and enjoyed what I saw, but this is the kind of shitty business decision that I just can't stand.

Admittedly, I don't know much about Zenimax, and I wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt, but I've lost a lot of respect with this move. I have a feeling they will regret it.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Margulis

You'll feel better tomorrow when they release the official info and it's just an Imperial armor / costume piece.  Granted the picture has poor wording, but it isn't an entirely new race to play.

Guess your crystal ball is broken.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by jdnyc
    Originally posted by evilastro
    Originally posted by Crazy_Stick
    I am not "outraged" by it no, but I am curious what racial perks imperials get in TESO or what goodies might come with it as well?  Game goodies from CE's and other editions have been a mess in the industry for a while now in a variety of games and I kind of resent the way they affect play in some cases.

Yep that's a big question mark as well, considering that there are significant racial skills in the game.

Significant?  That's a stretch.  I would say helpful, but in no way locks you into a certain playstyle.  

The freak out is funny though considering that we don't even know what their racial is.

Anyone stop to think that maybe their racial perk is the ability to play on any faction?

These aren't WoW or EQ2 level perks and abilities. Racial skills are as significant as your choice of class.

• QuicksandQuicksand Member UncommonPosts: 683

Um, I'm ok with with the CE Bonuses. And am preordering it. I don't see the cause of all the outrage, but the OP is certainly free to not like it I reckon.

Only thing I don't like about the pre order perks is the 5 day head start.... I want to start NOW!

www.90and9.net
    www.prophecymma.com

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Originally posted by CazNeerg
    Originally posted by CazNeerg

It seems extremely clear from the graphic that it is a race, not a costume.  If it is a costume, somebody needs to get fired, because it doesn't read that way.

That said, I am outraged by your outrage.  People who pay more should get more, always.  Outrage over a collector's edition having stuff the base game doesn't is no different than outrage from free players in a hybrid game that they have to pay something to have an experience as good as a subscriber.

How?  It's a picture of armor - and it doesn't say race anywhere like people are posting.  "play as an Imperial in any alliance" with a picture of Imperial armor.

It says play as an Imperial.  In the Elder Scrolls, Imperial is the name of a race.  Which happens to be the only race not already assigned to one of the factions which is normally present in ES games, and a race people have been clamoring for the chance to play since the game was announced.  

It didn't say "Play wearing Imperial armor."  Could it theoretically mean that, if the person who made the graphic is a drooling incompetent?  Sure, but if it does, some heads need to roll, because that isn't the logical interpretation.

I put on Imperial Armor / costume - I'm "playing as an Imperial".  You're not changing my opinion on it, we'll see what happens when the official word is out.

Clearly I was wrong.  What a horrible move in my opinion by Zenimax.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by iseldiera

After tasting what faction/realm pride is with first Shadowbane guilds and then with DaoC, the last decade in mmos was lost to me.

Then came the flicker of hope. Of 3 factions, made up of 3 races. 

There would be the realm pride. There would be the hatred of the other two factions. There would be that adrenaline rush, when you saw that other particular race on top of the hill in Cyrodiil, because you would hate it with your guts.

That was the feeling when I saw the blood red Irekei in Shadowbane,

That was the feeling when I saw the norsemen with the beard in DaoC. 

Bethesda, you promised that feeling to me! You even said "yes your enemies will have their names above their chars, unlike the stupid red and blue of Guild Wars 2!".

I was a fool to believe. 

How will you explain now the whole lore built around these races uneasily trying to form alliances against the greatest danger of other races uniting and attacking them?

How will you explain a dark elf, working alongside a high elf, who is trying to attack other dark elves? How many "oh this is a rogue drizzt do urden that switched sides" can you seriously pull off?

You were the chosen one. Now you are just another one of the many that came since 2003.

All I've gotta say, is that if you liked DAoC, there is a LOT to like about TESO.

I don't agree with everything that was done, but they've actually done a really good job so far with this title. So you can either buy into the negative hype bandwagon, or you can wait to get accurate info on the game.

I'd hate to see you miss out on what's actually a good game, because of a constant barrage of forum trolls.

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198

Clearly I was wrong.  What a horrible move in my opinion by Zenimax.

I don't agree that it is a horrible move.  I do however respect both your dedication to what you believed was a correct interpretation, and your willingness to admit you were mistaken.  The second is far too rare here.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.