Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hearthstone is a Nice Diversion

Been somewhat addicted since the open beta started last week. It is a pretty fun diversion while

waiting for the new MMO crop to hit. Even if you don't like WoW you may still like this time waster.

Having a lot of fun with it and am able to stay pretty competitive so far. It's free so why not give it a

shot?

Help support an artist and gamer who has lost his tools to create and play: http://www.gofundme.com/u63nzcgk

Comments

• ImpsyImpsy Member UncommonPosts: 53
    Just be sure not to waste any real life money on the arena. That crap is so RNG it'll make you wanna pull your hair out
  • DauntisDauntis Member UncommonPosts: 600
    True, it is rough, but getting in on free coins isn't too bad the rewards are nice even if you lose your first three matches and are out right away.

Help support an artist and gamer who has lost his tools to create and play: http://www.gofundme.com/u63nzcgk

• DamediusDamedius Member Posts: 346
    Originally posted by Dauntis
    True, it is rough, but getting in on free coins isn't too bad the rewards are nice even if you lose your first three matches and are out right away.

http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/forum/topic/10858265800

It isn't terrible but it is a net loss.

If you want to build a deck for ranked/casual play  your money/coins are better spent on the card packs themselves.

You need to go 4-3 to get a net gain and 7-3 to be able to continue to play in the arena for free if you are using coins.

I will agree with the randomness of arena from the previous poster. Sometimes you get unplayable decks. The RnG gods seems to hate me. I have gotten a mage deck where I was offered 2 spells and they both came in the same pick. My most recent venture was with a Shaman. I got offered no hexes or lighting storms and very few spells overall.

It can very frustrating because I do quite well in Ranked with a fairly low cost deck.

Kripp did a video on some of the negatives of the game.

I agree with him on all points

• SephastusSephastus Member UncommonPosts: 455

The game itself is a net loss... not the cards.

There are many more card games out there that are better than this for one simple reason: Story.

There is no story, just playing other players, and most of the time, you will be playing with players that have used money to power their decks, since there is no division between those that have used money, from those that have... and why would there be, since there needs to be an incentive for people to use their hard earned money for what essentially is no property. If the exchange is one way only, there is no value.

Play the game (but don't use money), realize things are stacked against you, and that there is no story to keep you entertained, and that the only thing you can try to strive for, is for one of the top 100 positions... for what reason, who knows.... and then move on.

I enjoy(ed) card games, but without a story, or something physical, to justify the purchase, this one ranks low overall. Do yourself a favor and save your money (if you care to), for something that will net you more entertainment for your investment.

• DauntisDauntis Member UncommonPosts: 600

Hmm I guess I have never even considered the story in a card game. I guess I really don't understand why you would need one. I akin this more to playing Stratego or Sorry or something, so story depth isn' t needed. but to each their own, different strokes for different folks and all that.

Also... I have not spent a dime of real money and still feel that I have decent competitive decks and I fair pretty well in ranked play.  The arena is pretty random and out of the three times I have played I have felt my decks were pretty much crap, but it was still fun and I have gotten card packs and nice individual cards even though I sucked out in all 9 matches I played. The open play and ranked play are where it is at though.

• francis3343francis3343 Member UncommonPosts: 19
    For me I love it,, got into the arena with coins (free) made a paladin deck and won 3 out of 4 so far, Plus I have been doing the daily quest in between and already have enough coins to go back in the arena once I die another 2 times.. I am a casual player so I play about 20 games per day!
  • I find Hearthstone a very enjoyable game. Just be careful as the business model is more evil than most other Free to Play games. Since everything is pretty random, you have no idea what worth you'll get out of your money. While i would advise to never spend money on it, I have a feeling this will be Blizzard's second-most money-making game despite being easily one of the cheapest games (development wise) they've made.

Especially considering the main game modes are Pay to Win. But I don't mind since you just meet weaker decks or players if you don't have good cards yourself, because of the matchmaking system. If you care about rank and want to be high up, you need to play ridiculous amounts to get good cards or pay up to instantly win more games by getting better cards.

A friend of mine spend €90 on this "free to play" game, which really would be a budget title if it wasn't free to play. Don't fall into this trap unless you're rich and don't know what to do with all the money you're rolling around in.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • SirPKsAlotSirPKsAlot Member Posts: 224

my face when I realized someday there will be LAN competitions for a virtual P2W card game

Currently playing: Eldevin Online as a Deadly Assassin

• bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595
    Originally posted by Axxar

I find Hearthstone a very enjoyable game. Just be careful as the business model is more evil than most other Free to Play games. Since everything is pretty random, you have no idea what worth you'll get out of your money. While i would advise to never spend money on it, I have a feeling this will be Blizzard's second-most money-making game despite being easily one of the cheapest games (development wise) they've made.

Especially considering the main game modes are Pay to Win. But I don't mind since you just meet weaker decks or players if you don't have good cards yourself, because of the matchmaking system. If you care about rank and want to be high up, you need to play ridiculous amounts to get good cards or pay up to instantly win more games by getting better cards.

A friend of mine spend €90 on this "free to play" game, which really would be a budget title if it wasn't free to play. Don't fall into this trap unless you're rich and don't know what to do with all the money you're rolling around in.

As a former Magic player, I agree it can be a pit if you let it be.  Please, Beta players, PLEASE, realize it's beta.  Don't spend any money.

• bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    Originally posted by Dauntis

Been somewhat addicted since the open beta started last week. It is a pretty fun diversion while

waiting for the new MMO crop to hit. Even if you don't like WoW you may still like this time waster.

Having a lot of fun with it and am able to stay pretty competitive so far. It's free so why not give it a

shot?

It's a decent diversion. I'll give you that. However, in all my years of playing card games it's definitely not the best. If someone gets a hold of a beta key it's definitely worth a shot. However, if you're looking to spend money I'd highly recommend looking else where. MTG: 2014 Duels of the Planeswalkers is out on PC and it's readily available on Steam.

Good advice!  It is now open beta though so you don't need a key.