Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] World of Warcraft: More Warcraft Please

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In the past the WoW Factor column has focused primarily on World of Warcraft and occasionally dipped into other Warcraft related happenings such as the upcoming film. Going forward I am going to try to make this column about all things Warcraft, including Hearthstone. I am also considering renaming the column to reflect this change but I haven’t quite settled on a new name so stay tuned for that. Now moving on to the good stuff!

Read more of Reza Lackey's The WoW Factor: More Warcraft Please.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    New pvp season before WoD and gear levels above 496 will drop to 496 at the beginning of the season. Gear will not be upgraded to 496.
  • Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

Blizzard are effectively "charging people to skip the game and go straight to the cut scene at the end". 

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Reza

A pretty significant piece of news dropped recently in which Blizzard announced that anyone who pre-orders the upcoming expansion, Warlords of Draenor, will receive their goodies immediately. This includes the exclusive pet and mount - both of which have not been announced as of yet - that typically ship with each deluxe and collector’s edition of the expansion

http://www.wowhead.com/news=227242/patch-5-4-7-ptr-wod-ce-mount-and-pet-level-90-boosts-season-15-pvp-gear

the mount is rumored to be this

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    Its actually smart to give a free 90 for pre orders. I know NUMEROUS friends who never seriously got into wow because they did not want to level. Which is understandable because wows leveling is excruciating boring. I already have 1 friend who is considering getting WoD because of this. He played rift and lotro so he would understand the basics. And he would be able to level with his friends. Smart move.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• BoonezBoonez Member UncommonPosts: 13
    I agree Blizzard should make every account have a least one level 90 on it before allowing people to buy a level 90 character upgrade.
  • NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    Personally, I just want Warcraft IV =( I doubt it'll happen until after they finish up the 3rd SC title and Heroes of the Storm.

Steam: Neph

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    Originally posted by Nephaerius
    Personally, I just want Warcraft IV =( I doubt it'll happen until after they finish up the 3rd SC title and Heroes of the Storm.

Yeah I think a WC4 would be a great thing, I still play WC3 from time to time with friends :D

I already got the new mount, it's the best mount in the game  :)  

As for Hearthstone, the only thing I don't like about it is balance.  Hunter has always been strong, and they still are one of the strongest, if not THE strongest, deck in the entire game.  I don't know the numbers, but it seems like half the games in Rank 10-1 are all hunters lol.

• JorlJorl Member UncommonPosts: 257
    Out of all the mmorpg's I played World of warcraft has the best quests, there is lore and a story.
  • jw2252jw2252 Member Posts: 34
    Miss WoW but just can't get back into it.  I played from launch of vanilla through TBC then quit.  I recently tried to pick it up again because they were doing a free 10 days for returning players but it just wasn't working for me anymore.  Shame because I've yet to find an MMO since WoW that has held my attention for more than a couple of weeks, let alone the two years I invested in WoW.
  • Originally posted by iamStilbon
    I agree Blizzard should make every account have a least one level 90 on it before allowing people to buy a level 90 character upgrade.

I am of the opinion that people should stick to their class and role. I think it's better to have every account 1 character slot. No more messing around. And then a solid storyline. Oh well it's WoW LOL.

• MrJimLaheyMrJimLahey Member Posts: 24
    Originally posted by Powermike
    Originally posted by iamStilbon

I am of the opinion that people should stick to their class and role. I think it's better to have every account 1 character slot. No more messing around. And then a solid storyline. Oh well it's WoW LOL.

Im not following.  How is it better to only have one character slot?  I always play a few classes (with alts).  If I could only make one character/class combo per account.  I wouldn't even bother.  I doubt I'm alone in this.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Originally posted by MrJimLahey

Im not following.  How is it better to only have one character slot?  I always play a few classes (with alts).  If I could only make one character/class combo per account.  I wouldn't even bother.  I doubt I'm alone in this.

Don't ask me why. But some people get completely offended at the idea of rolling alts.

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762

You're not. I think half the game is about rolling alts and experiencing the different builds. That's why I'm still puckered about Bliz ditching the talent trees. I loved experimenting over trying to be the uber-build. But yeah, alts are great, imo.

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by DSWBeef
    Its actually smart to give a free 90 for pre orders. I know NUMEROUS friends who never seriously got into wow because they did not want to level. Which is understandable because wows leveling is excruciating. I already have 1 friend who is considering getting WoD because of this. He played rift and lotro so he would understand the basics. And he would be able to level with his friends. Smart move.

Since when is leveling in Wow excruciating?  It has not been for some time.  You can go from 1 - 90 in about two weeks without breaking a sweat.  Most people that play the game have most of their characters maxed.

Personally giving people level 90 is just flat out stupid.  None of the new players will have one clue how to play the game.  

One question for the author, why in the world are you bothering to cover a card game?  I don't think many people on this site are the slightest bit interested.

• exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    Originally posted by Ozmodan
    Its actually smart to give a free 90 for pre orders. I know NUMEROUS friends who never seriously got into wow because they did not want to level. Which is understandable because wows leveling is excruciating. I already have 1 friend who is considering getting WoD because of this. He played rift and lotro so he would understand the basics. And he would be able to level with his friends. Smart move.

Since when is leveling in Wow excruciating?  It has not been for some time.  You can go from 1 - 90 in about two weeks without breaking a sweat.  Most people that play the game have most of their characters maxed.

Personally giving people level 90 is just flat out stupid.  None of the new players will have one clue how to play the game.  

One question for the author, why in the world are you bothering to cover a card game?  I don't think many people on this site are the slightest bit interested.

Probably because of Blizzard giving them cash. Otherwise they wouldnt advertize wow non stop here.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

people actually havent tried the game who might?  guess what I usually leave every expansion for a yr at a time, and come back for each release.  They changed everything I knew, and I had no idea how to play.  By the time I hit the next cap, I knew exactly how to play my char, and it was fine.

The free 90, is more likely to be used by returning players or alts than any new players.

• RukushinRukushin Member UncommonPosts: 311
    Originally posted by Pyuk

You're not. I think half the game is about rolling alts and experiencing the different builds. That's why I'm still puckered about Bliz ditching the talent trees. I loved experimenting over trying to be the uber-build. But yeah, alts are great, imo.

I'm actually against alts as well. I like to think of a character I play as a digital representation of myself. I hated that I felt almost forced to make alts starting with cataclysm due to boredom. I have put down the game for good since July and will never be going back. A lot of friends have been trying to get me to go back to the game but I refuse to give my money to a company that for lack of a better word seems "lazy" in their development for how much money they are actually making on a per-year basis.

I must say it WAS a great game and held me straight since end of vanilla til July of 2013, but when they introduced Timeless Isle it was the last straw for me. Pandaria made it necessary to reputation grind and then come july they turn around and give the new players instant access pretty mcuh to do what took weeks and weeks to have access to. It opened my eyes to finally seeing that the game had been doing that for so long. Veteran players are constantly smacked in the face for all the work they put in, only to have the newbie players spoon-fed everything and able to catch up to a veteran in no time at all.

I still have fond memories of this game, but I'm at odds with almost everything about it.

Graphics - can't stand stylized gfx anymore, it's 2014, take advantage of the brand new powerful cards on the market now. (One reason why I really can't stand wildstar just from watching the trailer)

Gameplay - hotbars with more than 6-8 buttons are so 2001, action combat is the future, left click for left hand and right click for right hand

Questing Exp - Grinding through zones? Boring, It's all about having the freedom to go where ever you want, whenever you want, which they are doing in the upcoming expansion, but....

Hate to say it...everything they are doing with the new xpac is just TOO LITTLE TOO LATE. Should have done all of this revamping with MoP.

Done with my rant haha. To each their own in the end. I'm glad to have had the run I did with the game. Off to Elder Scrolls Online and EQNext(I know also stylized gfx V_V but gameplay ideas seem so evolutionary I might just have to look past that one caveat) now.

• seafirexseafirex Member UncommonPosts: 419

Now this make me laugh sorry not to be impolite here. I am not going after you directly but after those that say leveling up in WoW is hard or time consuming. lollllllllllll

It takes max 2 weeks to get from 1 to 90, you only need to make sure that all the time you are playing you are questing + at the same time Q for dungeon's and also for bg's all 3 at the same time and yes you can do this. And that is it!  if it take you more then 2 weeks , change game this mmorpg is not for you and you are a lost cause because this is the most easy mmorpg there is.

For those that have very little time like 1 to 2 hr max per day or twice a week or the kind of person that stay in city or in goldshire or outside Sw dueling, i can understand it will take you way more time but other then that if you stay in a group or have a guild or friend that play the game with you they can even boost you easily true a few dungeon's just search google to get the one's you need that give lots of xp or ask in guild chat for them again they could get you there in no time at all. It is the most easy leveling there is in a mmorpg and WoW is the one that as it at this point since all the nerf they did since cata came out.

Again i am not directing this to you personally but to everyone that keep saying it is hard to level specially in WoW.

Edit : it is a good thing to get instant level90 char. no problem there 1 less to levelup. But not a good idea to give it to the first time player's. even returning players that are coming back after a few year out. they should give it to someone that as another 90 already but not before ( a restriction like for the DK'S )

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    Originally posted by seafirex

Now this make me laugh sorry not to be impolite here. I am not going after you directly but after those that say leveling up in WoW is hard or time consuming. lollllllllllll

It takes max 2 weeks to get from 1 to 90, you only need to make sure that all the time you are playing you are questing + at the same time Q for dungeon's and also for bg's all 3 at the same time and yes you can do this. And that is it!  if it take you more then 2 weeks , change game this mmorpg is not for you and you are a lost cause because this is the most easy mmorpg there is.

For those that have very little time like 1 to 2 hr max per day or twice a week or the kind of person that stay in city or in goldshire or outside Sw dueling, i can understand it will take you way more time but other then that if you stay in a group or have a guild or friend that play the game with you they can even boost you easily true a few dungeon's just search google to get the one's you need that give lots of xp or ask in guild chat for them again they could get you there in no time at all. It is the most easy leveling there is in a mmorpg and WoW is the one that as it at this point since all the nerf they did since cata came out.

Again i am not directing this to you personally but to everyone that keep saying it is hard to level specially in WoW.

Edit : it is a good thing to get instant level90 char. no problem there 1 less to levelup. But not a good idea to give it to the first time player's. even returning players that are coming back after a few year out. they should give it to someone that as another 90 already but not before ( a restriction like for the DK'S )

Im not saying its hard. Its boring as all hell. Ive never experience a more boring leveling experience. Leveling in wow is easy as hell but is boring to the max.  Went ahead and edited it to clarify.

Also a lot of my friends have a couple hours each day to play. And doing kill 20 rat quests that whole time is what turns them off. Its mind numbing. 

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077
    Since when is leveling in Wow excruciating?

Level 58 and just before entering Outland for the nth time on the nth toon.

It's on par with the Oculus dungeon, we all remember (and wish to forget!).

• WolfsheadWolfshead Member UncommonPosts: 224
    Originally posted by Myrdynn

people actually havent tried the game who might?  guess what I usually leave every expansion for a yr at a time, and come back for each release.  They changed everything I knew, and I had no idea how to play.  By the time I hit the next cap, I knew exactly how to play my char, and it was fine.

The free 90, is more likely to be used by returning players or alts than any new players.

Serious mate you tell me that no new player will use the free lvl 90 under what rock you are living under even new player will use lvl 90 free char and you cant sit here tell us the wont for the will stop be so clueless and think that only returning player and player that have play WoW for long time is only people that will use free lvl 90.

Point of free lvl 90 is the get more people to play WoW and blizzard want to get more people into to game for last few year number of "new" have been more or less 0 while other game get more "new" player why is that it most be something wrong with thing blizzard have been doning so free lvl 90 is there answer to get "new" player into WoW again.

• CandyCaneNJCandyCaneNJ Member UncommonPosts: 187

I'm a NEW player that noticed the Free lv 90 with pre-purchase. I bought a new fancy laptop, bought the new battlechest & MOP from Best Buy for cheap last week. I doubt if I would have done so if the news of the Free level 90 hadn't caught my eye. 

I don't have time to speed to level 90! The ones who are saying it's "easy" and can be done in "2 weeks" might already be level 85-90 or don't have a full time job or kids perhaps? Either way, I always wanted a DK, so yes I will happily use the Free level 90! 

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

There is SO much gameplay once you hit 90, it is a great idea to give new/returning players a shot at it before WoD releases.

Me? I've got all the gear I need/want to finish out MoP, I've seen and beaten all the bosses of Ogrimmar and every other boss in MoP.

I'm focusing on transmog gear, which is so fun to farm to me, and trying to get my secondary professions maxed out.

Primaries have been done forever.

I'm getting real close on cooking, First Aid is done, fishing is about 400/600, Archaeology is going to be the biggest grind, but thankfully you also make some decent $$ doing it, and I can finish out some old-world exploration achievements at the same time.

I've got tons of $, just building and building it in preparation for WoD, already got Loremaster of Pandaria (all the quests in every zone in Pandaria).

So much to still do.

My other 3 90's are all Timeless Isle or LFR geared, I've got maxed out Jewelcrafter, Blacksmith, and Enchanter...

I just hope they announce more veteran rewards than the datamined profession boost for the boosted free/paid for 90.

Bring on WoD!

• kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044

Hey about the new name for the column.

World of WoW - I think there's a nice ring to it :)

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Kevyne-Shandris
    Since when is leveling in Wow excruciating?

Level 58 and just before entering Outland for the nth time on the nth toon.

It's on par with the Oculus dungeon, we all remember (and wish to forget!).

I'm probably an oddball but i like the Pre58 content best 

and ive done it repeatedly on over 40 characters