Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should gamers organize? Gamer union(s)?

Comments

• Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077
    Originally posted by Dewguy79

Your part of that entitlement crowd aren't you.  Well Mr. Consumer of Video Games, Watching TV, playing games on your phone and watching netflix sorry to bring you to reality you are not and never will be an investor in any of that.  No union will make you one nothing will, you like everyone else is what we call consumers.  Enjoy your new wealth of knowledge I have bestowed apon you.  Say it with me" I am a consumer!"

I don't believe you understand the meaning of "entitlement", so here watch...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orAVrXdYQD4

It's needed because things like this occur...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuiPK_F4CTw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4LTmWo8JJA

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    You know that you take this whole gaming thing too seriously when you mention players unionizing and it isn't the attempt to start a joke. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Originally posted by ktanner3
    You know that you take this whole gaming thing too seriously when you mention players unionizing and it isn't the attempt to start a joke. 

What are you taking about there is one guy he is approaching four digits in what he's spent on video games.  This is no mere hobby anymore he is entitled he deserves to be an investor!  No seriously that's what he thinks.  

He should buy stock not subscriptions then.

• slickbizzleslickbizzle Member Posts: 464

Instead of a union, maybe  just don't buy the items? I know to people that live in these games it sounds far-fetched and ridiculous but hear me out:   When they sell less and less of cash shop items that cant be acquired in the game and subs start disappearing they'll get the picture.   Or, they may start really milking remaining players with mounts, services, etc... to make up for the sub loss.

However, if the 30-something year olds, that want to look cool for the 14 year olds, wouldn't buy the items, the company may lean towards rebuilding its sub base by offering those same items ingame to people that actually pay a monthly fee to play the game!

Originally posted by Horusra

What are you taking about there is one guy he is approaching four digits in what he's spent on video games.  This is no mere hobby anymore he is entitled he deserves to be an investor!  No seriously that's what he thinks.  

Maybe he will listen to you...I've tried to explain that he is a consumer but I think he just doesn't like that word.  But buy some stocks and then he will be that investor he always wanted to be.

If he buys all the stock he can make the game of his dreams and watch the people hear rip that game to shreds.

The thought has crossed my mind.

But to think this company that tells it's players they have to be their own source of entertainment, that doesn't sound like a wise investment!

I'll just wait for the RMT laws to catch up, instead. ;)

Originally posted by slickbizzle

Instead of a union, maybe  just don't buy the items? I know to people that live in these games it sounds far-fetched and ridiculous but hear me out:   When they sell less and less of cash shop items that cant be acquired in the game and subs start disappearing they'll get the picture.   Or, they may start really milking remaining players with mounts, services, etc... to make up for the sub loss.

However, if the 30-something year olds, that want to look cool for the 14 year olds, wouldn't buy the items, the company may lean towards rebuilding its sub base by offering those same items ingame to people that actually pay a monthly fee to play the game!

Think the point is he wants to force, not ask, people to stop buying.  A little "buy a mount and we kill your spouse" union action.

Originally posted by Kevyne-Shandris

But to think this company that tells it's players they have to be their own source of entertainment, that doesn't sound like a wise investment!

Be your own entertainment has been eves creed for years.

Maybe he will listen to you...I've tried to explain that he is a consumer but I think he just doesn't like that word.  But buy some stocks and then he will be that investor he always wanted to be.

If he buys all the stock he can make the game of his dreams and watch the people hear rip that game to shreds.

Why would I care about what they think? If I bought all the stock, do you think I'll keep it a MMO? Pfft. I'd give Bethesda a run for it's money, instead. After all, that is WoW's lineage. ;)

That's must be why CCP said DUST has to be a success, too!

That's must be why CCP said DUST has to be a success, too!

Dust is not a mmo.  It is a cheap fps console game. 

• WBadgerWBadger Member RarePosts: 375

I demand all colors of cash shop clothing be changed to purple and premium subscriptions for free for life.  If my demands are not met, then my union of me and my nine friends will picket your game on websites and make people seriously consider playing your game or not.

~The cow

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198

It doesn't matter if it's skilled or non-skilled labor, the worker is still a life...a human being.

What does that have to do with anything?  You were arguing about unions being necessary, yes?  I am pointing out that if the worker's skills are in high enough demand, he doesn't need a union, because he is a valuable commodity and as a result has bargaining power all by himself.  But none of that really matters, because we have worker safety laws and minimum wage laws in the present day.  As I said before, in terms of their original purpose, unions are obsolete.  

They exist now solely because interest groups always refuse to die, and have switched from fighting for an equitable balance between worker and company interests to trying to tilt them as far in favor of the worker as is possible without shutting down the business and destroying all the jobs.  Unfortunately, many unions are run by people who aren't smart enough to tell when they are pushing past that point and hurting their own members.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

Originally posted by CazNeerg

It doesn't matter if it's skilled or non-skilled labor, the worker is still a life...a human being.

What does that have to do with anything?  You were arguing about unions being necessary, yes?  I am pointing out that if the worker's skills are in high enough demand, he doesn't need a union, because he is a valuable commodity and as a result has bargaining power all by himself.  But none of that really matters, because we have worker safety laws and minimum wage laws in the present day.  As I said before, in terms of their original purpose, unions are obsolete.  

They exist now solely because interest groups always refuse to die, and have switched from fighting for an equitable balance between worker and company interests to trying to tilt them as far in favor of the worker as is possible without shutting down the business and destroying all the jobs.  Unfortunately, many unions are run by people who aren't smart enough to tell when they are pushing past that point and hurting their own members.

It has everything to do with everything.

Answer this: how do you think that skilled laborer could freelance to begin with, and not be an indentured servant, instead?

We quickly forget that the very rights folks take for granted now, took a heck of a lot of pain (and even death) to achieve. The right to even work independently of a master, even. 15th century glass worker if you weren't in a guild, and obeyed their rules, try making a living independently...you'd starve to death. 18th century indentured servitude was the status quo. 20th century not only can we work independently, but we can do so with a minimum wage, pretty good site safety, and a 40hr week, so we can come home and even play video games.

It's a never ending battle to have the pursuit of happiness with the security of getting there in one piece.

Dust is not a mmo.  It is a cheap fps console game. 

And one that CCP needs to even survive, because the EvE game isn't keeping the lights on.

Mitty can't bankroll the entire game, after all.

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198

It has everything to do with everything. 

Answer this: how do you think that skilled laborer could freelance to begin with, and not be an indentured servant, instead? 

We quickly forget that the very rights folks take for granted now, took a heck of a lot of pain (and even death) to achieve. The right to even work independently of a master, even. 15th century glass worker if you weren't in a guild, and obeyed their rules, try making a living independently...you'd starve to death. 18th century indentured servitude was the status quo. 20th century not only can we work independently, but we can do so with a minimum wage, pretty good site safety, and a 40hr week, so we can come home and even play video games. 

It's a never ending battle to have the pursuit of happiness with the security of getting there in one piece.

I have plenty of appreciation for history.  But you have failed to articulate any reason to support unions in the 21st century, you have only given reasons to justify supporting them in the past.  Once a group that was created to fight for rights has already achieved them, and moved into fighting for the privileges of one group to take precedence over the privileges of another group, it is just another bunch of lobbyists, and there is no reason rooted in principle to support them.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Kevyne-ShandrisHow do you think you can fight for that privacy again?

I go to court. No one else is needed.

Those "organizations" are not protecting your rights, that is what legal system does. Unions on the other hand impose and force their own rules and ideas upon others.

Very different things.

PS:
    Nonsense.

If company isn't taking care of the safety of their workers, they will pay much more on compensations when they get sued.

I got 2 more weeks vacations, car, phone, notebook, gym, breakfast, lunch and whatnot as a company benefit. No unions were needed, no one was forcing my employer. Companies hand over those benefits if it is economically viable to them.

The idea that some 3rd party steps into an agreement between employer and employee, telling employer how much they should pay and spent on the employee is flat out stupid.

Unions are an abomination. It is political force without legitimate mandate, as poster above said - lobby, sadly due historical reasons absurdly advantaged.

Only what one needs is courts and money making the economical pressure. It wasx always like that, even in the past. Unions were never needed, it is just another form of opression and power mongering.

Originally posted by CazNeerg

I have plenty of appreciation for history.  But you have failed to articulate any reason to support unions in the 21st century, you have only given reasons to justify supporting them in the past.  Once a group that was created to fight for rights has already achieved them, and moved into fighting for the privileges of one group to take precedence over the privileges of another group, it is just another bunch of lobbyists, and there is no reason rooted in principle to support them.

If you have appreciation for history, you'll know it only takes tyrants and rogues to remove those very rights and protections. One particular one had a funny little mustache, the other had a longer one and loved things like gulags.

And for the other dude who feels he can goto court to defend against wrongs, if the court doesn't understand the internet (and the law for the most part still doesn't) how do you think you'll get a fair trial? Out of ignorance?

And for the other dude who feels he can goto court to defend against wrongs, if the court doesn't understand the internet (and the law for the most part still doesn't) how do you think you'll get a fair trial? Out of ignorance?

Ah, here we go. An authority above the law and legal system. Wait, did you just say something about tyrants...?

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Originally posted by Gdemami

How do you think you can fight for that privacy again?

I go to court. No one else is needed.

Those "organizations" are not protecting your rights, that is what legal system does. Unions on the other hand impose and force their own rules and ideas upon others.

Very different things.

PS:
    Nonsense.

If company isn't taking care of the safety of their workers, they will pay much more on compensations when they get sued.

I got 2 more weeks vacations, car, phone, notebook, gym, breakfast, lunch and whatnot as a company benefit. No unions were needed, no one was forcing my employer. Companies hand over those benefits if it is economically viable to them.

The idea that some 3rd party steps into an agreement between employer and employee, telling employer how much they should pay and spent on the employee is flat out stupid.

Unions are an abomination. It is political force without legitimate mandate, as poster above said - lobby, sadly due historical reasons absurdly advantaged.

Only what one needs is courts and money making the economical pressure. It wasx always like that, even in the past. Unions were never needed, it is just another form of opression and power mongering.

Nonsense. Unions were formed during the early industrial revolution because workers had no or little legal protecting. To put this into context, around the 1850s a young girl of 12 died in a industrial accident. Not wanting the place disrupted the owner of the factory told his thugs to dump her body in the nearby river. When the owner got caught out he was fined a small sum of money but only for denying someone a proper burial. The girls parents got sacked for causing trouble though. This was pretty much the attitude in the early industrial revolution that caused unions to form. To say unions were never needed is showing you ignorance of history and ignorance of how brutal and dark the industrial revolution was.

The working class had no or little political power. That's assuming they had the vote and were allowed to vote freely, in which in most cases they could not, even in the land of the free. There was no social security and pensions were beyond the reach of most people. Unions formed to create co-operatives, shops, banks, health clinics and charities at a time the state didn't provide such things. However even these were limited.  At the begining of the 20th century, unions campaigned on things such as shorter working week, living wage, universal education until the age of 14, state pensions and help for those too sick to work.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by iridescence

Unless you are actually getting paid to game (and I know some people do) you want a consumer rights organization not a union and yes I think more consumer advocacy is always a good thing. Although no amount of consumer protection is going to stop people from buying stupid crap in cash shops unfortunately. 

OP and everyone listen to this guy he speaks the most wisdom in this thread.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• SirPKsAlotSirPKsAlot Member Posts: 224
    No to gamer union. It's not feasible. There would be too much in-group bickering and splinter groups. It'd be terribly coordinated and nobody would really take it seriously. If you mean starting some sort of group that collectively boycotts games you don't like, seriously, no.

Currently playing: Eldevin Online as a Deadly Assassin

Originally posted by Arakazi

To say unions were never needed is showing you ignorance of history and ignorance of how brutal and dark the industrial revolution was.

Nah, it is more of an error in judgement on your end. You mistake cause and consequence.

What you percieve and falsely assume as Union contribution, was started much longer ago, escalating in Declaration of the rights of man and of the citizen and industrial revolution, both driven by economical reasons.

It was the revolution that created Unions, not the other way round.

Your sole argument that Unions are needed is based on fact that the changes happened but changes are happen all the time, with or without Unions thus it won't justify Unions as an institution.

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Originally posted by Gdemami

To say unions were never needed is showing you ignorance of history and ignorance of how brutal and dark the industrial revolution was.

Nah, it is more of an error in judgement on your end. You mistake cause and consequence.

What you percieve and falsely assume as Union contribution, was started much longer ago, escalating in Declaration of the rights of man and of the citizen and industrial revolution, both driven by economical reasons.

It was the revolution that created Unions, not the other way round.

Your sole argument that Unions are needed is based on fact that the changes happened but changes are happen all the time, with or without Unions thus it won't justify Unions as an institution.

Where did I say that the unions started the industrial revolution?! eh... whatever :/

Where did I say that the unions started the industrial revolution?! eh... whatever :/

You implied that Unions were initiators of the changes, they were not. They are just the consequence of socio-econimical and technical revolution like all the things you listed.

You mistake cause and consequence. Unions are an abomination that was created in the process.

This discussion has been closed.