Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars Galaxies: Our Next Game is Dedicated to You

Comments

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

God, is there ANY thread here these days without 90% hate, acidic comments nad poisonous sarcasm?

It's a sort of a ritual now, eh guys?

I say, give the man a chance. I am mildly glad about the insight at least. Time to critizise what is worth critizising comes when we see details. I am not fan nor hater and give the new MMO a fair chance.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by achesoma
    Originally posted by firefly2003

Despite the many changes SWG it remains one of the most unique MMORPGs out there , that had many unique and tons of options and catered to more than just combat "kill,kill!" many of SWG's features remain unique to this day . People hated the NGE, everyone loved the Pre-Cu but Pre-Cu had virtually had next to no content, player driven content is fun but all the additions SWG had when it closed made it shine to it 90% potential if the Pre-CU profession skilltrees of old were combined with the end of SWG's lifespan full of content... there would have been happy players abound.

Actually, the CU version had the much needed content while keeping the skill trees and sandbox features as you're talking about. 

For me, the CU was the best iteration of the 3 versions.  It added balance, more content, and got rid of the stupid HAM bar system that required the Doc buffs to kill anything.  Many didn't even given the CU a chance because it was so poorly implemented.  Also, many were more pissed by the fact that their god-mode, defense-stacking templates were nerfed all to hell and they couldn't solo 40 rancors with roundhouse kicks anymore.  By the time it was running pretty darn well the NGE happened and turned the game upside down.  I know many SWG vets pine for the pre-CU, I'm one of the few that pine for the CU version.  Though, I'll agree the NGE was by far the worst.

I agree; I really never get why people shout out for pre-CU so much. Pre-Cu was totally imbalanced, had a ton of issues and waaaay too less content, even for a sandbox game of that era.

CU was a good change for SWG. I haven't met anyone ingame when the CU came who told me he wanted to get back to pre-CU; that's something which I found only people saying after SWG closed. I assume it's bacause most people don't really remember how horribly imbalanced SWG was in pre-CU.

Oh and for the record: SOE did NOT kill a vivid, active and succesfull game with the NGE. SWG had been in troubled water mostly due to the release of WOW, it was literally bleeding subs and in grave danger to close down because of lack of people! It had a severe lack of conctent and accessibility, and everyone back then KNEW that! Yes you could go on "some hunt" just for the lulz, but only the most hardcore people really found that enough. SWG had needed a change, and essentially SOE was in a no win situation at the time. If they had let SWG as it was, it would have died and closed down anyway. Yes, the NGE was harsh and bad in some ways, but SWG had been in trouble because MMOs were about to change and WoW essentially flattened everything back then.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Originally posted by CazNeerg

Huge?  The whole reason those four games got shut down is because they were (if you say the only people who count are the ones who spend) ghost towns.  Are the tumbleweeds going to riot?

So was SWG for eons before its closure. That hasn't stopped people around here from declaring it the best game EVAH and its closure the crime of the century.

Frankly I fully expect Vanguard to eventually follow the same arc.

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

Disagree - SWG was unqique and would have recovered as soon the Greener Pastures of WoW would have become Brown.

The real loss of Players happened clearly AFTER NGE, not before.
    They were Greedy and had No Balls to endure a temporary loss of Players.

Of course it would also have need "Bugfixing" and more "Content" but at all the game would have EVE alike numbers of Players playing and paying, maybe even more.

If there is another "Window of Oportunity" opening up for a MMO of that Kind in a crowded market like this is a question of Quality, Timing and Marketing - if you miss that 1 Window...your loss, no comeback.

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by Thorqemada

Disagree - SWG was unqique and would have recovered as soon the Greener Pastures of WoW would have become Brown.

The real loss of Players happened clearly AFTER NGE, not before.
    They were Greedy and had No Balls to endure a temporary loss of Players.

Of course it would also have need "Bugfixing" and more "Content" but at all the game would have EVE alike numbers of Players playing and paying, maybe even more.

If there is another "Window of Oportunity" opening up for a MMO of that Kind in a crowded market like this is a question of Quality, Timing and Marketing - if you miss that 1 Window...your loss, no comeback.

And when was that going to happen exactly? and how long do you expect a company to wait for such an unlikely scenario? not every company has deep pockets like SE who can keep funding the game out of their own pocket even though no one is playing.

If you want to disagree atleast come up with a plausible and proper reason to back it up.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Originally posted by Maldach
    Bring Raph Koster back and let him take another shot at it.

Apparently Koster has already denied he's working on this new title.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    Sony probably think Star Citizen is going to do well. Therefore, this could be Sony's attempt to produce something similar to Star Citizen without actually saying the words "Star Citizen".
  • ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by Elikal
    Originally posted by achesoma
    Originally posted by firefly2003

Despite the many changes SWG it remains one of the most unique MMORPGs out there , that had many unique and tons of options and catered to more than just combat "kill,kill!" many of SWG's features remain unique to this day . People hated the NGE, everyone loved the Pre-Cu but Pre-Cu had virtually had next to no content, player driven content is fun but all the additions SWG had when it closed made it shine to it 90% potential if the Pre-CU profession skilltrees of old were combined with the end of SWG's lifespan full of content... there would have been happy players abound.

Actually, the CU version had the much needed content while keeping the skill trees and sandbox features as you're talking about. 

For me, the CU was the best iteration of the 3 versions.  It added balance, more content, and got rid of the stupid HAM bar system that required the Doc buffs to kill anything.  Many didn't even given the CU a chance because it was so poorly implemented.  Also, many were more pissed by the fact that their god-mode, defense-stacking templates were nerfed all to hell and they couldn't solo 40 rancors with roundhouse kicks anymore.  By the time it was running pretty darn well the NGE happened and turned the game upside down.  I know many SWG vets pine for the pre-CU, I'm one of the few that pine for the CU version.  Though, I'll agree the NGE was by far the worst.

I agree; I really never get why people shout out for pre-CU so much. Pre-Cu was totally imbalanced, had a ton of issues and waaaay too less content, even for a sandbox game of that era.

CU was a good change for SWG. I haven't met anyone ingame when the CU came who told me he wanted to get back to pre-CU; that's something which I found only people saying after SWG closed. I assume it's bacause most people don't really remember how horribly imbalanced SWG was in pre-CU.

Oh and for the record: SOE did NOT kill a vivid, active and succesfull game with the NGE. SWG had been in troubled water mostly due to the release of WOW, it was literally bleeding subs and in grave danger to close down because of lack of people! It had a severe lack of conctent and accessibility, and everyone back then KNEW that! Yes you could go on "some hunt" just for the lulz, but only the most hardcore people really found that enough. SWG had needed a change, and essentially SOE was in a no win situation at the time. If they had let SWG as it was, it would have died and closed down anyway. Yes, the NGE was harsh and bad in some ways, but SWG had been in trouble because MMOs were about to change and WoW essentially flattened everything back then.

Pre-cu had tons of content, yet not the guided type of content. I read/remember the forum topics from back then about people being bored. Which I felt unbelievable as I just didn't have enough time to do all the things I could do in the game and at the time a was a free-lance sound engineer, could have day's/weeks between project and any other project could be done from my home-studio (at the time) There for had allot of time to play.

I loved learning language's, was puzzeld the first time I saw chat-bubble's and couldn't understand a word that was said. The interaction between people who had already learned a certain language to learn it from them.

Could take day's to find that perfect resource spot because not every resource would spawn every day, some even took weeks/months and while searching I loved the exploring part as I found many things to do during my search. Ranging from spotting camp sites chatting with other players, getting a buff, sharing adventure's, fighting NPC's/creature's, finding that pup to tame, just getting into one of my vehicle's and just ride around looking at what other player city's had to offer and sometimes finding great player run vendors or players who have been very creative with decorating their houses.

Funny while the CU didn't bother me that much it was the start of many Benny Hill adventure's for many combatants.

I did leave several months into the NGE, but not so much because of the changes but more because most of everyone I came to know both guild aswell random players all had gone. I do agree that SWG was already in allot of trouble well before the CU, I mean 1.5mil boxes sold yet 250k playing and to me it makes sense for a company to look why the majority isn't playing anymore regardless I be placed in the minority how enjoyed the game the way it was yet only wanted fixed what was broken.

I did however return in 2007 and starting all new the NGE had certainly changed for the better and had enjoyed the game for nearly 7/8 months, yet times have changed for me to have game time and the amount of craft custom orders I was getting in my mail was far to high. And just had to end playing cause I simply didn't had the time anymore.

But I will play a SWG 2 in a heart beath if it's the same base game with next gen graphics or atleast uptodate graphics.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    If they make this new game a great sandbox then I will have one of those sonypasses for EVER.

I wonder if this is the move that actually makes ccp afraid. Well I guess we will need a lot more info out there to see if unknown soe sandbox will even be in the neighborhood to sniff eve.

But I hope it does. Cuz I wanna pay 1 sub and play all the eqs and new sandbox:)

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• KatillaKatilla Member UncommonPosts: 829

i worked my ASS off unlocking a jedi pre-CU, you had to master random professions and it was not the same for any two people, took me something along the lines of 32 skill lines and it was actually a challenge.

i was a mayor and ran a city, DOC and entertainers actually were important to the game. A jedi who took out his LS in public got flagged, it was an awesome game.  Then came along the CU and the NGE and messed everything up and screwed all the vets so they (myself included) quit and are still bitter that they took an sandbox game and turned it into a themepark game.

They nerfed all the good classes and took away most of the complex elements of the game and it sucked and led to it's eventual downfall.  The only other game i had such fond memories in besides that game was EQ1, SOE ruins everything they touch eventually.

• Blazer6992Blazer6992 Member UncommonPosts: 642
    Originally posted by tom_gore

What is he working on right now?

You go to MMOdata and look at the Numbers, you find out that SWG has half a year after the Launch of WoW still around 250k Subs, by the end of 2005 it still hast 200k of Subs (SWG loss is 25% compared to almost 40% in EQ2 and 60% in EQ), NGE hits and number fall vertical to 100k (~50% loss) shrinking cunstantly from that point on.

Compared to many other games SWG did in fact have only a slight loss of Players the time WoW was released!

WoW is not the Game for the natural SWG Player and the sligthy shrinking Population was for the bad handling and expanding of the original SWG - WoW is a temtporary vacation for a natural SWG Player but you do not come back when your home is ruined.

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI

• sirsammy33sirsammy33 Member Posts: 64
    miss my wookie droid maker    my first server was lowca

One more Thing:

SOE not only has to prove they can develop a game as unique as SWG but this time with technical Quality, well thought and fleshed out game mechanics etc.

I still do not see me subscribing to the game bcs i am European and i do not plan to give myself to "Pro7" Support.

I do not want to be a second class citizen paying full or even more getting less!

PS: I also want international Servers not Region Locked - open to Play with People from all the world!

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Originally posted by Thorqemada

You go to MMOdata and look at the Numbers, you find out that SWG has half a year after the Launch of WoW still around 250k Subs, by the end of 2005 it still hast 200k of Subs (SWG loss is 25% compared to almost 40% in EQ2 and 60% in EQ), NGE hits and number fall vertical to 100k (~50% loss) shrinking cunstantly from that point on.

Compared to many other games SWG did in fact have only a slight loss of Players the time WoW was released!

WoW is not the Game for the natural SWG Player and the sligthy shrinking Population was for the bad handling and expanding of the original SWG - WoW is a temtporary vacation for a natural SWG Player but you do not come back when your home is ruined.

Well unlike EQ 1/2 SWG was entierly reliant on a very big and vibrant community. By the time NGE hit most servers were ghost towns... Literally and figuratively. A few of the US servers were still healthy but the EU servers were going nowhere but down and doing it fast. So if you did not have a combat prof you were SoL.

I/D´s nobody to style and no-one needing stat adjustments

Crafters: Not enough market to make it worth the time

Entertainers: Heck even the devs them self said that people were better off having a entertainer alt as the market was dead.

Heck even the non-combat medics were going the way of the Dodo. So yes.. the game migh have a decent population on paper, but in reality it was a dying game... I was there... I saw it with my own two eye.

Ofc after NGE it was... Well a zombie. NGE was the attempt to cut of a rotting limb to save the body, unfortunately it was to late.

This have been a good conversation

• RaphRaph MMO DesignerMember UncommonPosts: 201
    Originally posted by Blazer6992

Not an MMO. I am currently doing some indie games, mostly puzzle and board games, for fun. Starting to think about getting back to MMOs, but I needed the break.

I know to players it looks like I have been on a break since SWG, but in fact I did a virtual world startup company for four years, then it got bought and I worked with social games and kids' MMOs while at Disney/Playdom for another 2-3 years.

• noncleynoncley Member UncommonPosts: 718

Immediately after SWG was launched, Smedley fired the original development team and set a new team of developers, unfamiliar with the code, to work on a new expansion. The plan was that the game would run itself and that the big income would come from paid expansions produced yearly.

This turned out to be a disastrous decision. 

Firstly, the original game was incomplete. There were numerous bugs that needed to be fixed, some of them that literally crippled the game for many players. But there was no 'bug fixing team'. Everyone had either gone or was working on the expansion.

Secondly, the game was imbalanced. Some professions were notably overpowered (remember the TKA's perpetual 'knock-down?) while some simply didn't work at all (Only one of six Pistoleer specials actually worked). This was the same in the trade professions too: for example, the Bioengineer needed 'milk' to make many high level recipes - however, they reason they couldn't find any on the six or seven playable planets was that the developers had forgotten to put it in).

The first expansion to come in was  great success - Jump to Lightspeed. Of course it was, it had originally been designed to come out with the main game but since it wasn't ready at launch, they delayed its release for a year, worked on it until it was actually ready and then made people pay for it. This 'deceptive' success made Smedley, who as an MBA is *all* about the quarterly revenues, think that his concept of yearly paid expansions was the way ahead.

What he couldn't understand - and never did - was why people were leaving the game in droves. In most cases, it was because the game was incredibly frustrating because of bugs or because of imbalance.

So why was WoW successful but SWG was not?

Obviously, there are many reasons but I think one compelling one was that Blizzard understood that 'A GAME IS NEVER FINISHED'. After WoW was released, the development team was not fired - it was set to fixing bugs. It was also set to ensuring that combat imbalances - and there are *always* imbalances - are constantly fine-tuned. 

WoW brings out updates that are essentially mini-expansions - every 3-6 months and they tend to be free. There are obviously paid expansions but in ten years (?) there have only been four and these have all been major events.

It's my personal belief that if SOE had run SWG the way that Blizzard runs WoW - the original development team continuing work, a focus on fixing bugs, constant fine-tuning of combat, regular content mini-expansions, larger mega-expansions several years apart - that SWG would now have two or three million subscribers.

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907
    Originally posted by Neherun

Geez the hatred and bitterness against Smed. You know, the guy has actually been quite decent since 2013, and especially stuff concerning PS2, now EQN seem to be as he stated it would be, so hey, give the man a break.

And if someone from SOE has the guts to admit their fuck up on my child, I accept the apology, but next time you better hand me over a god damn prodigy.

Since 2013?????

Who gives a rat's petunia about PS2, it's a console system and this is a PC MMO game site.... this thread is about Smedley making a comment about bringing back perhaps SWG, a PC MMO.... let's focus here shall we and not get confused on platforms?

As far as trusting either Smedley or SOE in general, either you have a short memory, or you are very young.

SOE and Smedley have screwed over and backstabbed their customers for years. Taken good MMOs and trashed them, allowed Databases to get hacked and then twiddled their thumbs for weeks while they tried to figure out what to do next...Saying Smedley has been decent since 2013 is like saying Fred Kruger can babysit small children now... no #$%^ way.

Both SOE and Smedly passed the point of no return with myself and many others long ago. I know this to be true because there's been a hundred threads about it on this site alone, and my real friends and I talk about this very same topic every so often. Hard to forget what SOE and Smed has done over the years.

If you want to trust him/them, go for it. I won't.

Originally posted by Raph

Not an MMO. I am currently doing some indie games, mostly puzzle and board games, for fun. Starting to think about getting back to MMOs, but I needed the break.

I know to players it looks like I have been on a break since SWG, but in fact I did a virtual world startup company for four years, then it got bought and I worked with social games and kids' MMOs while at Disney/Playdom for another 2-3 years.

So if your tight with Disney already, then you got the inside track to go ahead and start SWG2.

Originally posted by noncley

Immediately after SWG was launched, Smedley fired the original development team and set a new team of developers, unfamiliar with the code, to work on a new expansion.

This is simply not true. There was indeed dev turnover over time, but there were original team members in place straight through to the NGE and beyond, including several of the original design team, many artists, and several programmers.

The expansion was Jump to Lightspeed, and it was done by the original game team, absolutely no question about it. The plan for doing Jump to Lightspeed was in place when the game was still in development, though it was actually designed post-launch.

So if your tight with Disney already, then you got the inside track to go ahead and start SWG2.

I left there almost a year ago now. :)

• noncleynoncley Member UncommonPosts: 718
    Originally posted by noncley

Immediately after SWG was launched, Smedley fired the original development team and set a new team of developers, unfamiliar with the code, to work on a new expansion.

This is simply not true. There was indeed dev turnover over time, but there were original team members in place straight through to the NGE and beyond, including several of the original design team, many artists, and several programmers.

The expansion was Jump to Lightspeed, and it was done by the original game team, absolutely no question about it. The plan for doing Jump to Lightspeed was in place when the game was still in development, though it was actually designed post-launch.

Then I stand corrected. I thought the original team of designers who worked on SWG were quickly let go or assigned to other projects after its launch. I also thought the flight sim was originally intended to be shipped with the product but, because it wasn't ready, required a separate expansion one year after launch.

Can you tell us the who was the producer responsible for leading the New Game Enhancements within SOE?

• FinalFikusFinalFikus Member Posts: 906
    Thanks Sony:)

"If the Damned gave you a roadmap, then you'd know just where to go"

They'll take you back. Just pitch them your ideas for SWG2.

• JestorRodoJestorRodo Member UncommonPosts: 2,642

They'll take you back. Just pitch them your ideas for SWG2.

Yeah Ralph, This is the time with Repop and Smed's kidding himself that everybody has forgotten all his company did wrong after your departure with a mention of a SWG like IP. It is time to have the real deal done by the Mouse with you.  The players would only agree.

Unaware of the Jestor?
    http://about.me/JestorRodo/

Friends enjoy his classic Vblog - https://www.facebook.com/GoodOldReliableNathan