Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars Galaxies: Our Next Game is Dedicated to You

Comments

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by Sunnyguy46
    Originally posted by Muke
    Originally posted by SBFord

Smedley: SWG. I would do everything differently. SWG Players - Our next game (not announced yet) is dedicated to you. Once we launch it...you can come home now.

Strange, I got the message in 2005 sent by some mr Smedley from SOE and some mrs Nancy Macintyre  from Lucasarts to "GTFO, we don't want you, we rather want those millions of WoW players coming here!"

Ya, hopefully you never get what you want because of something that was said / happened nine years ago...

Yeah, I'm sure Smedley changed his ways and wants to give you a big hug and welcome you home and cuddle.

Well have fun feeding the mouths of the people that spat and laugh in your face repeatedly lol.

With all the promises that comes out of Smed's mouth, I believe it when I see it. So far haven't seen anything.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527
    Originally posted by Dauzqul
    SWG remake?!? Oh please let it be!!!

All people talk about on this forum is SWG. Finally some interesting news and people still hate. Pretty sad

It is SWG 2.0.....even though EA has exclusive rights for future SW games SWG predates the Disney/EA deal the SWG trademark being renewed keeps SWG IP and its exlcusive rights to SOE only. The wording by Smed ...saying a new IP is for legal reasons only, it is SWG 2 last summer Disney and SOE had a meeting and it was surrounding SWG IP, so a direct competitor to TOR is coming and if it anything like what SWG was the good and great parts of the Pre-CU mixed with post NGE content well you see where this will go then add in story telling elements from TOR and well you have a game we actually want to play.

• newbinatornewbinator Member Posts: 780
    Originally posted by achesoma
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

If people would bother to read the AMA, Smed specifically states it's a new IP.  So no SWG 2.  It's most likely a zombie mmo in the fashion of SWG.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3274834/report-sony-developing-game-related-to-h1z1-hoax/

Certainly hope not.  We DON'T need another zombie game ever!  A zombie game would never entice past SWG players, just completely NOT their thing.

While I agree 100% it seems suspicious that SOE would trademark H1Z1 for online gaming/rpg platform then shortly after make this announcement.  Honestly,I am totally burnt out on the whole zombie fad. 

Same here. I have ZERO interest in a zombie themed MMO.

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

Disney...not SOE....renewed a SWG tm.  It's been said over and over.

My guess is its just a standard renewal to keep the name available. It is also quite possible that  Disney intends to name a ride or area of one of its parks..or an entire new park .. Star Wars Galaxies. Anyway ..I doubt its for another MMO but who knows. 

• severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516
    Is not the renewal of the trademark nothing more than SOE and Disney protecting its property rights so that someone, say REAL smart fans of SWG, cannot legally go and publish partially reverse engineered code cobbled together with their own unique code?  That maintaining the trademark would give SOE, Disney etc legal recourse in the case of the above that they may otherwise have lost?
  • bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

I want a Sci-Fi sandbox.. I do not want a zombie game.

Here's hoping SOE does the right thing.

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    I'm sure some of you are excited for EQNext - but after the years of hype for the "reveal" of that game, and what I saw, I will never buy into Smed BS hype again.
  • JestorRodoJestorRodo Member UncommonPosts: 2,642

If people would bother to read the AMA, Smed specifically states it's a new IP.  So no SWG 2.  It's most likely a zombie mmo in the fashion of SWG.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3274834/report-sony-developing-game-related-to-h1z1-hoax/

Then they may be biting off more then they can chew.

Unaware of the Jestor?
    http://about.me/JestorRodo/

Friends enjoy his classic Vblog - https://www.facebook.com/GoodOldReliableNathan

• vorrin5vorrin5 Member UncommonPosts: 71
    They also trademarked "Sturmendrang" as well. Maybe that will be the name of the new IP, instead of H1Z1.
  • achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,725
    Originally posted by firefly2003

Despite the many changes SWG it remains one of the most unique MMORPGs out there , that had many unique and tons of options and catered to more than just combat "kill,kill!" many of SWG's features remain unique to this day . People hated the NGE, everyone loved the Pre-Cu but Pre-Cu had virtually had next to no content, player driven content is fun but all the additions SWG had when it closed made it shine to it 90% potential if the Pre-CU profession skilltrees of old were combined with the end of SWG's lifespan full of content... there would have been happy players abound.

Actually, the CU version had the much needed content while keeping the skill trees and sandbox features as you're talking about. 

For me, the CU was the best iteration of the 3 versions.  It added balance, more content, and got rid of the stupid HAM bar system that required the Doc buffs to kill anything.  Many didn't even given the CU a chance because it was so poorly implemented.  Also, many were more pissed by the fact that their god-mode, defense-stacking templates were nerfed all to hell and they couldn't solo 40 rancors with roundhouse kicks anymore.  By the time it was running pretty darn well the NGE happened and turned the game upside down.  I know many SWG vets pine for the pre-CU, I'm one of the few that pine for the CU version.  Though, I'll agree the NGE was by far the worst.

Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

To be honest when I read that tweet I went wow.  Then I remembered who I was dealing with, and that is Smedley.  You know the master liar of the bunch.  Honestly  when he says stuff I wait till I see it in cold hard facts. 

• EnrifEnrif Member UncommonPosts: 152

well, a zombie scenario could run into some mmo experiences

1. Zombie Survival, duh

2. Post-Apocalyptic, what happens after the zombie problem is cleared?

3. Sci-Fi, humanity escapes earth and leaves the zombies behind?

4. all of the above mixed. Post-Zombicalyptic Sci-Fi Survival

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Originally posted by Muke

Smedley: SWG. I would do everything differently. SWG Players - Our next game (not announced yet) is dedicated to you. Once we launch it...you can come home now.

Strange, I got the message in 2005 sent by some mr Smedley from SOE and some mrs Nancy Macintyre  from Lucasarts to "GTFO, we don't want you, we rather want those millions of WoW players coming here!"

QFT

+1

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• noncleynoncley Member UncommonPosts: 718
    Originally posted by Adamai

swg trademark has been renewed!! that means disney has giveny soe the rights to swg as a trademark, now being as swg was set in the time line of the first 3 films it means its completely different to the new swtor as thats set in the old republic time line..

this must mean they are either relaunching swg !! or they are creating swg2 or another version of a starwars game which is very similar to what swg was.

the keywords are !!! "the swg trademark has been renewed as of last month"  swg means starwars galaxies. 

No, it doesn't mean anything of the sort.

It might just mean that a computer in the Lucas Arts legal department automatically renewed an IP title, one of thousands, owned by the company.

• noncleynoncley Member UncommonPosts: 718
    Originally posted by KaitarBesh
    You people do realize that it was not SOE alone that made a mess of SWG - Lucasarts were the ones calling the shots on that one, folks.

Nobody knows that for certain at all - and, according to Jeff Freeman and Dan Rubenfield's specific statements - the changes were only made within SWG and then approved by LA. You can get an idea of what happened here:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/op-ed/801-SWG-NGE-Crying-Freeman

• DeadlyneDeadlyne Member UncommonPosts: 232

Not sure if this was posted here.  But in the AMA on reddit when asked about the new game Smed says "completely new IP. The data is on the interwebs.. someone just has to find it."  

So someone get to digging and find the info!

Just to question the philosophy. Army of Socrates.

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527
    SOE shutting 6 of their MMOs and MMORPGs downs, offices are all in Austin, Lucasarts has already repurposed that space and will set up shop in the same building that Vanguard, Free Realms, Clone Wars, Etc offfices were in. Also a license for use of the Cryengine. This is SWG 2 folks .......no doubt about it...

• KynmoreKynmore Member UncommonPosts: 66

My prediction:

New Star Wars game, being part of a deal to get Marvel properties back into Disney hands, developed by SOE to introduce new Star Wars cannon content.

Brrrflp!

• MrJimLaheyMrJimLahey Member Posts: 24
    Thing is, one of the comments Smedley made about Clone Wars was something to do with licensing. From what I've read, this will not be a SW game, but a new IP in the spirit of SWG. Maybe?

That's pretty much what I gathered as well.  Thanks for clarifying for people though.

• TimacekTimacek Member UncommonPosts: 182
    wow I would return in a heartbeat
  • KynmoreKynmore Member UncommonPosts: 66
    Originally posted by vorrin5
    They also trademarked "Sturmendrang" as well. Maybe that will be the name of the new IP, instead of H1Z1.

Maybe it's a KMFDM themed MMO? 

reference: 

Brrrflp!

• MaldachMaldach Member Posts: 399
    Bring Raph Koster back and let him take another shot at it.
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,956

Smed knows how to divert attention away from the huge backlash regarding all the game closures.

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Originally posted by JeroKane

Smed knows how to divert attention away from the huge backlash regarding all the game closures. 

Huge?  The whole reason those four games got shut down is because they were (if you say the only people who count are the ones who spend) ghost towns.  Are the tumbleweeds going to riot?

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• DemenshaDemensha Member UncommonPosts: 76
    Launch date for SWG 2.0 will be just after UO 2.0 has launched.