Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which mmos have/had the best or worst crafting ?

13»

Comments

• jimbobfurleyjimbobfurley Member UncommonPosts: 104

SWG's was the best, without a doubt.

SWTOR's blows.

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

SWG is still the gold standard in crafting. With the dynamic resource stats, balanced decay and the dedicated crafting classes with stats and suits that were unique to crafting, often unique to individual classes. Droid Engineer skill tapes for example.

Current and active, LotRO was mentioned. Up to supreme tier it had a very clear path. At Westfold tier it went to hell in a hand cart with incomplete sets of gear and the addition of guild and legendary items but I has since recovered. Current cap tier is Westemnet and all sets for that tier compete and augment as valid optional sets for the ones you can get from rewards. Your Champ reward set will focus on say Might but you could get a Vit based crafted set and of course, crafted legendary are superior to any drop. It's integral to the game and that makes up for any mundane nature in the execution.

FF14 had a great crafting system in place but ARR has made it a cosmetic side show. It isn't as easy as some would have you believe. You need to get grind 400 levels to cross skill to perfection, have materia set suits to overcome the stat throttles, then dungeon crawl for eternity to get loot components to make higher end stuff. Only to find out fundamental mechanics leave your best gear in the dust when you compare it to reward gear. In an effort to make ARR an anti-1.00 they threw the baby out with the bath water and crafting was that baby.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by free2play

SWG is still the gold standard in crafting. With the dynamic resource stats, balanced decay and the dedicated crafting classes with stats and suits that were unique to crafting, often unique to individual classes. Droid Engineer skill tapes for example.

Current and active, LotRO was mentioned. Up to supreme tier it had a very clear path. At Westfold tier it went to hell in a hand cart with incomplete sets of gear and the addition of guild and legendary items but I has since recovered. Current cap tier is Westemnet and all sets for that tier compete and augment as valid optional sets for the ones you can get from rewards. Your Champ reward set will focus on say Might but you could get a Vit based crafted set and of course, crafted legendary are superior to any drop. It's integral to the game and that makes up for any mundane nature in the execution.

FF14 had a great crafting system in place but ARR has made it a cosmetic side show. It isn't as easy as some would have you believe. You need to get grind 400 levels to cross skill to perfection, have materia set suits to overcome the stat throttles, then dungeon crawl for eternity to get loot components to make higher end stuff. Only to find out fundamental mechanics leave your best gear in the dust when you compare it to reward gear. In an effort to make ARR an anti-1.00 they threw the baby out with the bath water and crafting was that baby.

SWG was great, But it still lacked one major thing in my opinion. You couldn't fight with your own gear. You either crafted, or you were combat. Or you were a jack of all trades but master of none.

I think Ryzom has the best crafting system.

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193
    Originally posted by Tindale111
    My favourite game for crafting would have to be Vanguard with EQ2 a close 2nd .the worst 2 for me would be Swtor and no im not bashing the game just the crafting which is almost pointless and the new final fantasy (yes crafting is fun but again pointless as they make it way to easy for everyone ) Crafting for me anyway is one of the most important aspects of a game and is one of the main reasons I will stay in an mmo if done right .

Swtor's crafting was really just like a series of buttons to activate strings of code in a window. Click a button and you magically get resources after a while, while 'implied' that your companions are out gathering. The next button makes stuff, which you can click and then stuff is magically made, no matter where you are or what you are doing, because it's 'implied' that your companions are crafting for you.

So essentially, crafting in Swtor was simply clicking a couple buttons in a window, and waiting for timers.

• Soulfire99Soulfire99 Member Posts: 8
    The loot and crafting system in AC1 was pretty boss. You could break down loot made of ivory to salvage that material then you could apply it to your weapon to gain a certain stat.I would go more in depth but its been talked about before I am sure.

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971

A Tale in the Desert had great crafting and its the best I ever have played, well this game was only about crafting and I played the beta for some days.  All the other major mmos cant compete with the crafting when you compare it with A Tale in the Desert, very detailed crafting.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Worst crafting for me, which was also felt very add-on and just put in to say it was in was WAR.

Worst crafting that I spent some time with was SWTOR, I know their was more to it than skill level, but just to go from 0 to max skill in a crafting profession in one game session was mind blowing to me, especially after VG.

Rift seemed like they tried, but it felt shallow and bland in the end, the harvesting didn't have enough variety in rarity, and the items overall didn't seem useful enough, but TOR still would be the one that was more implemented that was bad.  WAR was just the worst implementation, as it wasn't even finished.

Best: VG/SWG/UO, they all had good points, UO did not have as much depth, but the game systems supported the crafting, due to wear/loss, it had the best crafting/vender feel for me.  VG had the most enjoyable harvesting/crafting combo(group harvesting was a nice addition), and SWG probably had the most depth overall for just crafting and varying resources.  I would like any of those 3 systems in a mmo I am playing.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

"best" and "worst" of course is subjective.

"Best" for me .. marvel heroes .. simple, no need to make tons of useless stuff, crafting useful (for improvement gear) from the 1st hour of play.

"Worst" for me .. UO .. clicking on a rock again and again to up mining, really? That is a game?