Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

now i'm confused. i thought SOE meant new IP

clockwerk2013clockwerk2013 Member UncommonPosts: 27

hello,

as we know smed announced some interessting stuff about a new mmo specifically designed for swg payers.

but he said it will be a new IP. We do know as well that producing Sw games is now reserved for EA.

now i'm confused because i found this information!

On Thursday, December 26, 2013, status on the STAR WARS GALAXIES trademark changed to REGISTERED AND RENEWED.

( http://www.trademarkia.com/star-wars-galaxies-76329360.html)

well what does this mean ;-)?

best regards

Comments

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

It doesn't mean what you're suggesting. Just because they renew it doesn't mean they will use it. It just means they don't want to allow anyone else to use it. Keeping trademark rights for as long as legally possible is standard by almost everyone who uses trademarks.

They've specifically said multiple times it isn't SWG. It isn't SWG. It's something else.

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193
    Originally posted by Jimmac

It doesn't mean what you're suggesting. Just because they renew it doesn't mean they will use it. It just means they don't want to allow anyone else to use it. Keeping trademark rights for as long as legally possible is standard by almost everyone who uses trademarks.

They've specifically said multiple times it isn't SWG. It isn't SWG. It's something else.

I'm perfectly fine with it not being SWG. It wasn't the IP that had me fall in love with SWG.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

They wouldn't be able to make any game called star wars again anyway. Even holding the name wouldn't allow them to use anything from the "lore" of the movies or books. All they have is the rights to that specific name.

• BarrikorBarrikor Member UncommonPosts: 373

It's Lucasfilm who owned/owns the trademark itself.

They tend to guard their IP very strongly, I'm sure they renew all their trademarks whether or not they plan on using them.

• KyllienKyllien Member UncommonPosts: 315

What is confusing?

Disney bought Lucas Films and Lucas Arts.  They also bought the Star Wars IP.  (Everything Star Wars is now the property of Disney).  It was Disney who renewed the trademark.

Are you confusing Legal Owner with publishing/developing rights?  Disney owns Star Wars.  Disney can then build the game internally or contract out the rights to develop and publish to another entity.  Currently the only company that has any publishing rights is EA, they were granted the rights to publish SWOTOR.  This can change at anytime at the whim of Disney, who owns the Star Wars IP.

• KyllienKyllien Member UncommonPosts: 315
    Originally posted by Barrikor

They tend to guard their IP very strongly, I'm sure they renew all their trademarks whether or not they plan on using them.

Disney owns Star Wars and Lucasfilm now. 

• BarrikorBarrikor Member UncommonPosts: 373

Originally posted by Kyllien
    Originally posted by Barrikor

Disney owns Star Wars and Lucasfilm now. 

True, but it's still Lucasfilm that owns the trademark on paper, not the new parent.

Either way, it's got nothing to do with John Smedley or SOE, like the folks above were wondering. It's not SOE's trademark, SOE has nothing to do with it being renewed.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

Currently the only company that has any publishing rights is EA, they were granted the rights to publish SWOTOR.  This can change at anytime at the whim of Disney, who owns the Star Wars IP.

EA has a 10 year deal with them, It would be more like a massive court battle than a whim.

• clockwerk2013clockwerk2013 Member UncommonPosts: 27
    But as we know sw 1313 for instance was not renewed.
  • MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    Originally posted by Maquiame

Looking for an old school mmorpg?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1588672538/pantheon-rise-of-the-fallen

SWG wasn't old school. It tried to be revolutionary. 

I think you may be looking for the old EQ and soon to be old Vanguard crowd.

You stay sassy!

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Do your research. SWG was originally a sandbox game, with a lot of similar systems as UO had (because they shared the same lead systems dev, Raph Koster). It has zero in common with EQ and Vanguard, which Brad is after.

By the way, do you think Raph might have his fingers in the upcoming SOE title?

• LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294
    Originally posted by tom_gore

Do your research. SWG was originally a sandbox game, with a lot of similar systems as UO had (because they shared the same lead systems dev, Raph Koster). It has zero in common with EQ and Vanguard, which Brad is after.

He denied that he would in another thread in pub forum.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Originally posted by LoverNoFighter
    Originally posted by tom_gore

He denied that he would in another thread in pub forum.

Too bad. But I sort of understand the man. I would get pissed too if my carefully crafted systems were one by one replaced because execs would be crying to make the game more like WoW.

• HellidolHellidol Member UncommonPosts: 476
    Originally posted by DamonVile

Currently the only company that has any publishing rights is EA, they were granted the rights to publish SWOTOR.  This can change at anytime at the whim of Disney, who owns the Star Wars IP.

EA has a 10 year deal with them, It would be more like a massive court battle than a whim.

Not true, we have no idea what the contract is between those two, it  could have been just "starwars the old republic" and we the public and media was told something else.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by Hellidol
    Originally posted by DamonVile

Not true, we have no idea what the contract is between those two, it  could have been just "starwars the old republic" and we the public and media was told something else.

From the info found in the internet: build many games in many different genre's across multiple types of platforms over 10 years with the Star Wars brand.

hmm wanted to post the links but for some reason not able to link the sources. But then again anyone could just place a "google" and see official statements.

So it's definitly not a 10 year deal with the name Old Republic only.

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

What is confusing?

Disney bought Lucas Films and Lucas Arts.  They also bought the Star Wars IP.  (Everything Star Wars is now the property of Disney).  It was Disney who renewed the trademark.

Are you confusing Legal Owner with publishing/developing rights?  Disney owns Star Wars.  Disney can then build the game internally or contract out the rights to develop and publish to another entity.  Currently the only company that has any publishing rights is EA, they were granted the rights to publish SWOTOR.  This can change at anytime at the whim of Disney, who owns the Star Wars IP.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-05-06/electronic-arts-gets-star-wars-game-license-from-disney.html

Disney will “retain certain rights to develop new titles within the mobile, social, tablet and online game categories,” the companies said in a joint statement.  A MMORPG would fall under that description, so no EA doesnt have full control of Star Wars games, Disney did hold some things back... technically they could license out a new SW MMORPG for SOE they did reserve the right to do so.

• Fenrir767Fenrir767 Member Posts: 595
    I think online games is more like Space Assault no company would license for 10 years if next year the licensor can directly compete with you whenever they choose.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Originally posted by Fenrir767
    I think online games is more like Space Assault no company would license for 10 years if next year the licensor can directly compete with you whenever they choose.

Not necessarily - but what EA can do and what Disney can do will be defined in a large legally binding document with penalty clauses if broken. And doubtless a host of other stuff as well: promoting the IP, damaging the IP - is the price based on Disney releasing a given number of films in the next 10 years for example? A large document to be sure. 

At the end of the day it will have come down to how much EA wanted the IP rights vs. how much Disney wanted the money.