Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: SOE Closing Vanguard, Free Realms & Two Other Titles

Comments

• Bane101Bane101 Member UncommonPosts: 108
    Originally posted by titanofdoom

Gutted about Vanguard closing!!  I loved that game back in the day!  Played it 6 years on and off.  I don't think I have ever been so sad about an MMO closing :(   It had such a rushed launch, but never truly recovered.  Still, I have some wonderful memories of Telon, and will return before it closes.

So so so sad...

I agree. There was a quality game there. But it never really took off . Old players have moved on. New players consider it to be old fashioned and hardcore.

Raymondo

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Originally posted by cyrician

Noo not vanguard I still subb to it!.

They just sent me a mail saying my new all access supports it.

The game will be up until July 31st, so you still have 6 months to play in it.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910
    Originally posted by Beatnik59
    Originally posted by lizardbones
    Originally posted by Beatnik59
    I think this is going to be a morbid time for online gaming.  Once a major publisher starts mass cancellations, it pushes other publishers to do the same for titles on the margins (to satisfy their investors).  The writing is most definitely on the wall; if you aren't giving your publisher a ginormous profit margin, you are just one quarter away from having everything you put in the game taken away from you.

It's all relative.  SOE is going to take those resources and put them somewhere else to make more money.  If a developer or publisher doesn't have a better alternative than where the resources are being spent now, then they aren't going to shut a game down and replace it with nothing.

Since the Reddit AMA seems to indicate that they are coming out with something to appeal to SWG fans, it seems likely that the resources are going to be directed to that new game, which will make them more money.  Doors close, doors open.  Things keep moving along.

If the door got slammed on the face of the Pre-CU folks before, what makes the Pre-CU fans think that the door won't get slammed on them again?

Closures and wholesale redesigns don't give people confidence to throw lots of money and time into these things.  They only show how MMOs are, ultimately, not worth throwing time and money into.

It cannot have occurred to everyone just now that MMORPGs have a limited life span and that the design of the games is not set in stone.  You're acting like MMORPGs are really supposed to just run forever until the servers are running and nobody is playing.

Besides, this is a really slow door slam.  More of a door creaking with a slight "woosh" as it finally shuts.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by Bane101
    Originally posted by titanofdoom

Gutted about Vanguard closing!!  I loved that game back in the day!  Played it 6 years on and off.  I don't think I have ever been so sad about an MMO closing :(   It had such a rushed launch, but never truly recovered.  Still, I have some wonderful memories of Telon, and will return before it closes.

So so so sad...

I agree. There was a quality game there. But it never really took off . Old players have moved on. New players consider it to be old fashioned and hardcore.

That is nonsense.  Vanguard never attracted a following because it was just a mediore game.  Sure it had some nice elements to it, but only a few diehards actually played the game, even after SOE got most of the bugs out.  That has to tell you something.  I tried the game several times and I could never find any appeal to the game.  There seemed to be a lot of players like me too.  Hence the game never took off.  I don't think much of Brad's design expertise because of that.

• SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135
    Greed of the accountants is immense.

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    RIP VG

I self identify as a monkey.

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178
    Originally posted by Spiider

Then I suggest you offer to buy those game from Sony and release them for free to the public. 

• Sassy_Gay_UnicornSassy_Gay_Unicorn Member UncommonPosts: 316
    BRING BACK EARTH & BEYOND!
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Coman
    Originally posted by Spiider

Then I suggest you offer to buy those game from Sony and release them for free to the public. 

Smed said its not for sale, Brad already asked.

• plat0nicplat0nic Member Posts: 301
    Too bad they released VG only half done. I might have played past the first month.

Main Game: Eldevin (Plat0nic)
    2nd Game: Path of Exile (Platonic Hate)

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    No point in buying that new cheaper station pass at all now.
  • nationalcitynationalcity Member UncommonPosts: 501

What's funny is all the people bitching and moaning now that's its closing, maybe if all the people complaining would of actually subbed to it that wouldn't be the case right now would it?

I always heard people say how great a game vanguard was but they just couldn't play it because the population was so low, it was always a catch 22.... And now that it's closing everyone is out in droves to complain about how they were gonna play it on all access I mean COME ON......

The game has been on life support for years, I mean they did a couple updates this year and last and managed what, I think one new thing and that was Cave of wonders? The game has had major issues since launch that couldn't be fixed such as the chunking and they basically come out and say it in there post that it would cost more to fix it then it's worth..........

I'm not trying to be a dick but people gotta be realistic why would a company keep a game open that there losing money on? I'm shocked it lasted this long.........

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    The only real themepark MMORPG shut down... Goodbye Vanguard, I will truly miss you :(

Smile

• quseioquseio Member UncommonPosts: 234
    lol you obviously haven't played any games from korea/china theres some real shit storms out there developers who make soe look like gods , from the copy and paste copy cats to devs who create a game and never fix or update.. v bv
  • starstar1starstar1 Member UncommonPosts: 62

I play CWA with my kids(3 jedi accounts). It is our favorite game to play together(Minecraft being second place). It is rare to find a family friendly MMOish game for younger kids anymore. Gonna miss it. I understand that things don't last forever in MMO/online land. That said, I thought we had another year before this happened.... Oh well.

So what other 10 yr old ranged MMOs can anyone recommend for someone who wants to play with their kids?

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786

Everyone should play Vanguard for a bit.  It really is a game that All MMO players should have tried.   There were huge mistakes made, but is something that is also very unique.

I still kind of wish I would have played TR before it shutdown.

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235

this is indeed sad news, though i stopped playing VG in 2011, but it was my 2nd MMO after Ragnarok, and i played for 4 years, it was probably the best memory of MMO i have ever had

its funny that i remember they just announce the release of a new content not long ago if i am not mistaken,

well, anyway, i saw this coming, and its just a sad news really..

So What Now?

• JestorRodoJestorRodo Member UncommonPosts: 2,642

What? this may surprise many but this truly saddens me that SOE is sunsetting so many familiar titles in this year.

Unaware of the Jestor?
    http://about.me/JestorRodo/

Friends enjoy his classic Vblog - https://www.facebook.com/GoodOldReliableNathan

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Originally posted by starstar1

I play CWA with my kids(3 jedi accounts). It is our favorite game to play together(Minecraft being second place). It is rare to find a family friendly MMOish game for younger kids anymore. Gonna miss it. I understand that things don't last forever in MMO/online land. That said, I thought we had another year before this happened.... Oh well.

So what other 10 yr old ranged MMOs can anyone recommend for someone who wants to play with their kids?

Wizard 101 is pretty cool and I hear great things about Pirate 101.

• GnarvGnarv Member UncommonPosts: 38

Found it to be very immersive. The bugs that everybody weapt over was easily forgivable by me, for a period of time anyways. The fast exodus speaks more of the gamers than the game. And SoE did not invest in it, not on a level that mattered.  Vanguard.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754

Vanguard-Wish I had a dollar for every post here about how great of a game they thought it was.....Now down the toilet

Free Realms and WO were two of the worst MMOs I ever played....As a former Wiz8 fan I was extremely disappointed in WO....

Clone Wars who cares? Was a dumb idea from the get go

• ShezziShezzi Member Posts: 126

Yes, the Clone Wars MMO is closing, and it seems that a new SWG-type MMO will take it's place. I think this is super news. SWTOR was a disappointment, I'm ready for Sony to develop a true next gen space MMO. Hopefully SWG2, though maybe it's something else like Firefly? Hard to say.

I reckon old games get heavily outdated and have to close from time to time, sad though it is. Hopefully some of the most innovative ideas from SWG and Vanguard can make their way into the new SWG-type game.

Personally, I'm glad Sony is moving away from kiddie titles like Clone Wars and Free Realms. I prefer that more serious MMOs will get the bulk of the development revenue. Let's face it; adults have more money to spend on MMOs than kids. Makes financial sense to target gamers who earn.

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692
    Originally posted by ste2000

Surprise surprise........... Smedley Midas touch hit once again.

I keep saying that Smedley is not the right person to lead  SoE, I am so puzzled on the reason why the board didn't fire him yet.

He keeps investing money in games people don't want to play for then shutting them down after only few years.

Great manager..............

I couldn't agree more.  I can only guess that he is the world's greatest buttshark or something along those lines.  He needed to be let go years ago but oh well, the board likes him and so he keeps his job.  /shrug.

• umcorianumcorian Member UncommonPosts: 519

I'm all for trying to be optimistic, especially for covering your own failures... but can we find a different word other than "sunsetted". That's *really* trying to ram a square peg into a round hole. lol 

• KreetureKreeture Member UncommonPosts: 59
    I for one am not scared to say I have spent MANY enjoyable years playing soe games. I don't want to see Vanguard go but games get old and new ones come about- will happen to all games sooner or later. Am looking forward to the new sub plan-(too bad vanguard wont be part of it!) So much hate spewed on this forum, don't you guys give any credit for the fun you had with soe's games??? Im not a big fan of a lot of their current choices but I played the shit outta more than one of their titles.