Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What MMO were you incredibly hyped for, but disappointed by more than any other?

Comments

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    SWTOR and TERA.
  • SnigerknudSnigerknud Member UncommonPosts: 60

If I can put in a game in BETA then its Wildstar !!

Else there is AoC and TERA online.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Warhammer for me. Was expecting the long awaited second coming of DAOC, instead got a weird WOWish style clone.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930
    Originally posted by GPrestige
    Originally posted by Helleri

And, they apologized for that and now have instituted the player driven development system. Where a few times a month players vote in-game in guaranteed content polls to direct the course of development for the game.

Wow, that's a dangerous move. 

Well, it does seem to be going pretty smoothly so far. The ground work laid for it did really well...They had guaranteed content polls on the main site for a while, sourced from player suggestions on the forums. And, those worked out really well. Now, with the in-game poll system they handle it by pitting various stuff against each other (some were goals that they had others were things the players have said they wanted for a long time). The polls have a gem rating...Something like diamond, ruby, and emerald.

Diamond = Major effect on the game, long eta for development, follow up polls throughout the process regarding specifics regardless of results.

Ruby = Medium effect on the game, mid length eta for development. possible related content showing up in future polls.

Emerald = low effect to the game, quick production eta's, one off polls.

One poll of each kind opens every so often something like every 2 weeks). Players can vote in only the ones that matter to them or all of them. Players can change their vote later (up until the point the poll closes).

They are also trying hard to increase moderation presence in-game and on forums as well. Last year they even hired a full team of mods who's job is soley to scour the forums and collate player feedback to bring to the development team. They also made one of their popular players who had been making good youtube videos for a while a Jagex mod in charge of their social networking. And, I have seen an increased amount of player moderators lately as well(they don't have a lot of power, they can temp mute if absolutely necessary. But, the key thing is when they make an abuse report it goes to and stays at the top of the pile until addressed). Jagex Mods seem to be in their friends chat channels more frequently now to (which are open join).

• richkakrichkak Member UncommonPosts: 8

Probably RIFT... I remember reading it about late 2010 and was an active beta tester early 2011. I felt the game was presented differently and I think it had a lot more potential. Nevertheless, I loved playing it for a few years and recently quit after it went free to play.

I think my frustrations has to do with my own assumptions and hopes for how the game could have gone but still no hard feelings..

Have played: Old School Runescape, Flyff, Maplestory, 2Moons, World of Warcraft, Aion, Aika Online, Battle of the Immortals, Allods, Global Agenda, Heroes of Three Kingdoms, SWTOR, TERA, FFXIV, Vindictus, RIFT, Planetside 2, Elder Scrolls Online, WoW Classic, Guild Wars 2, Destiny 2

Waiting for Outriders and Wow Classic TBC

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

-Swtor for being a even more restrictive themepark then that arcade WoW one.

-Vanguard, for that HORRIBLE Launch and even more of a sluggish engine when running the game

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• ghorgosghorgos Member UncommonPosts: 191

For released games its GW2. While i still play it form time to time its nowhere i expected it to be.

Biggest disappointment including non-reeased games has been the reveal of information about EQN at last fainfaire and ESO (some of the press-releases and beta).

• waveslayerwaveslayer Member UncommonPosts: 511

Star Trek Online- Can't get enough Star Trek, from the various series to the books and movies, but the game. well lets just say other then the look of the ships, it aint Star Trek

Warhammer Online- This game was a complete miss, I was not looking for DAoC 2 but I was thinking it was going to be good, and I was wrong.

Godz of War I call Thee

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    VG Online. Payed full box price to not be able to play it straight away.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• BluewhitehellBluewhitehell Member Posts: 66
    Originally posted by GPrestige

Is there an MMO out there that you spent months looking forward to, only to be completely and utterly disappointed in the final product?

You read up on everything, you learned the lore, you knew what the classes and races were inside and out, hell... you could probably be hired by the company you were so devoted. But in the end, it was all a waste of time, and money.

For me, without a doubt, it was Age of Conan. I remember hearing about the game well in advance. I had done my research and looked up absolutely everything about it. I built an entirely new computer to be able to play the game. The combat system sounded fantastic, and the setting was amazing. I still get nostalgic when I hear some of the soundtrack from the early part of the game.

Tortage was amazing. I played through it slowly to enjoy every part of it. I figured, "finally, found that perfect MMO to hold me for the next few years."

Then I left Tortage. Those of you who've played it, you know the rest.

So, what is your 'disaster' MMO?

FFXIV:ARR for me. I was expecting ARR to keep the best of XI and FFXIV 1.23, and fix all the flaws in XI/XIV 1.23, since FFXI was my favorite MMO and FFXIV 1.23 was top 5 on the list too.

Only to find they delivered a completely different game with nearly nothing from XI and 1.23, besides the art and FF-ness. Sure, they fixed majority of the flaws from XI/FFXIV1.23, but they also removed the best part of it.

There's nothing wrong with the new direction, it's just a direction I personally don't find very enjoyable and won't pay a sub for.

As a long time player of SE's previous titles, I feel I was betrayed, thus disappointed.

I don't feel the same toward GW2 and SWTOR, but that's because my expectation wasn't very high with GW2/SWTOR to begin with. I've read enough negative opinions toward them on the forum, so kinda know what type of game I'm playing before I install them, it turned out that GW2/SWTOR wasn't as bad as everyone said. ARR is in opposite situation, everyone praise it so much and nobody from beta really mention the flaw, in the end it hurt harder.

Also kinda disappointed with Warhammer, they advertise it as next WoW with strong PVP feature, so I was expecting a game with decent PVE and very good PVP. It turned out to be a game with extremely weak PVE and above avg PVP.

• BlackWatchBlackWatch Member UncommonPosts: 972

Warhammer Online

Easily the biggest disappointment for me... by a mile.

Good hype.  Good PR work.  The game had a lot of great qualities... but for every one thing that was good, there were 2-3 things that really took away from the perception of quality. 

i would say next:  Star Wars the Old Republic

Is the game doing okay?  Sure.

But is it what I wanted it to be?  Not even close.  It's fun from time to time, but just not what I really hoped it would be.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • WingeyeWingeye Member Posts: 58

dont know if its just me but i have made sure not to turn into fan boy or a person who hypes stuff

has worked well so far

no expectations no dissapointments on the contrary i tend to get pleasant suprises every now and then

or might be that im the child of the 90's and have seen everything come and go and turned into a numb turd who just watches the flow and doesnt jump in

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

The only game I jumped Into feet first without doing research: guild wars 2.  

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• GrafvonRotzGrafvonRotz Member UncommonPosts: 27
    WAR... just broke my heart.
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Guild Wars 2.  It had so much potential, and the base game was great, but boy did they fuck it up.  I loved the original and played it in PvP for 5 years.  The PvP in GW2 is a joke, the living story is bleh and theres no character growth once you hit 80 aside from a gear grind which they promised would not exist.  They really messed it all up.  Go back to the design philosophy plz.
  • SirPKsAlotSirPKsAlot Member Posts: 224
    Seeing Age of Conan mentioned a lot and I'm going to have to agree, I was pretty hyped about the violence / fatalities and an hour into the game I'm beating on crocodiles...boring.

Currently playing: Eldevin Online as a Deadly Assassin

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

DarkFall: Unholy Wars.

The original DF had its flaws, but the game itself was tons of fun to play.  Grinding skills up endlessly seemed like a chore, but when you got out there and started fighting, it was all worth it.  Enter DF:UW. 

In DF:UW, Aventurine introduced classes.  These classes have a limited number of skills to choose from, all the character models look the same, all the armor looks the same, and the game turned out to be a giant crap sandwich.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

Vanguard, Pirates of the Burning Sea, SWTOR, Final Fantasy a Realm Reborn, Guildwars 2, The Secret World, Fallen Earth, Neverwinter, Everquest 2, Warhammer, Mortal Online, Darkfall (1&2), STO, City of Hero's...

Rift was alright but still a letdown.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Last MMO I got really excited for was WAR, and I played it for a bit, so it wasn't that crushing, but it should of been much better.  A lot of problems and systems that had really bad designs.

GW2 was my last disappointment (I was not hyped though, too many systems felt like they could not work out in the end), I was in the beta, but I didn't really get time to play it, and since I liked GW1, and people seemed to be raving about it, I bought it for me and my wife.  It felt cluttered and we didn't like the classes.  It is the mmo that I have paid for that I have played the least.

• WarhawkeWarhawke Member UncommonPosts: 42
    Warhammer for sure.
  • LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294

SwTOR was a major letdown.

GW2 was an equal letdown.

Basically every MMO since SWG pre cu has been a major letdown.

• WestoSanWestoSan Member Posts: 9

GW2 for it's failure of a plot, back flip on having a wealth of class specific abilities, and no Guild PvP - the one feature that made them unique and created a core fan base, abysmal reward system, and awful auction house on release. Game didn't take any time to grind, so game became all about AH. They made interesting maps, but enemy AI always felt generic, flaws in combat flow with boons and buffs stacking, sever lack of fear of death, ultimate game for casuals I guess, get what we paid for, it was the target they aimed for, really dummed mechanics down for accessibliity, and opted out of features that make a decent RPG. 

Characters in story, sucked, balls, despite the fact they had a great lore to work from. Story conversations awful, no point to home instance. 

• UsualSuspectUsualSuspect Member UncommonPosts: 1,243

There are so many failures, but the two biggest for me are:

EverQuest 2

I loved the original EverQuest, I spent years playing that game, so when they announced a new version with improved graphics I was really excited. But then the game came out and they seemed to have forgotten the one aspect of original EverQuest that I loved; the social aspect. It was the first solo based quest grind MMO I had ever played and I absolutely hated it.

Warhammer Online

I'm a bit of a Warhammer fan. I've played the fantasy roleplay game with a bunch of friends, had a campaign going for over a year on that, and still play Warhammer Fantasy Battle with a large army of Wood Elves, so Warhammer the MMO sounded like it could be awesome. Instead, it was absolutely awful. I really liked what the original developers were doing with it, but when it switched hands to Mythic well.. that was the end.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,049
    Star Wars Galaxies.  Nothing compares to the letdown that game was for me through its entire lifetime.  They even managed to screw-up the screw-up with NGE.