Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen: Exclusive MMORPG.com Q&A with Brad McQuaid

Comments

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by Maquiame

Even broken Vanguard is still better than most mmos on the market and those upcoming

Playing in the TESO beta myself I can say that with absolute confidence

Anyway, new Q&A on Zam!

http://www.zam.com/story.html?story=33718

I agree with you, and thanks for the new vid, will check it out.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• EndoRobotoEndoRoboto Member Posts: 275
    If youre tired of has-beens asking for money then spit on them and let everyone else enjoy whay you so desperately want to miss out on. Remember this game isnt for everyone, theyve stated that countless times, so no one will miss your pledge. Except you when the game releases and you buy for the full price.
  • MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Originally posted by Ice-Queen
    Originally posted by Ice-Queen
    Originally posted by fantasyfreak112

I really hope everyone who is interested invests in the Kickstarter. This game needs to reach its goals and show the bigwigs that there is a fanbase a buying public for this game.

Lets make sure not to just give this project lip service. Represent for those who still want challenge with your pockets!

The problem is that people aren't supporting because of Brad himself, not because they don't want an old school MMO. Unfortunatly if it fails it will be interpreted as old school MMO's deathblow.

^This 

Its sad but true. Even sadder yet that many can't see the bigger picture in all of this and the fact that this will be the deathblow of this type of mmorpg if this fails.

Its not about Brad, its about the genre. And its like people act like this man killed his first born.

What bothers me more is the fact that those who have gotten their goals reached are not held to the same standards.

Warhammer? Tabula Rasa?  Vanguard is still a better game than both of these...... but yet the men leading these projects did  not have to go through this.

My reason for not backing is, it's too far away from release and the fact that they will probably come back for a second Kickstarter even if the initial Kickstarter is successful. I think when a Kickstarter is successful, they shouldn't come back begging for more money, even if it's for stretch goal stuff. If you want 2 million from a Kickstarter, ask for it the first time, if you have stretch goals you really want in the game for release, put an amount you think you need to achieve that goal. Don't get 800k to start the game, then a few years down the road ask for more money through another Kickstarter for stretch goals.

They should build the game they promised, release it, then go on about including more stuff to the game after release, with updates. It's dishonest to promise something then basically hold the game for ransom until more money is milked from backers to add more to the game that wasn't initially promised. Repopulation is doing this and gives me a good reason to look at upcoming mmorpg projects a bit closer before I back them.

They can't build the game at all if the Kickstart is not successful in the first place. Not to mention this Kickstarter is to show  a publisher the demand so that they are willing to invest. 

I don't get why this is hard to understand for some. Many Kickstarters return for more money due to the fact that the teams making these games are new to the industry period. While they cannot ask for a lot up front they have to break up their funding needs as development milestones. Besides would you give 800,000 dollars to some unknown? I don't know anyone who would.

You are talking about a team with over 100 years real experience in the industry here with plenty of publisher contacts. A team who have publisher numbers on speedial. This kIckstarter is just the way to go to them and say "see, we have interest, this proves it, now can you back us the rest of the way".

They are not trying to build the entire game on Kickstarter, they are trying to get it off the ground and prove to the publishers they have interest.

Brad has also stated that the stretch goals are there to A.  Make the game more focused and B. To take as much of  the role of a publisher out of the equation so that they have less influence and 3. They will be going for the stretch goals on their own website after the initial goal is reached on the Kickstarter.

Please watch the video below

Don't want to invest? Fine but this is not some team of unconnected noobs you are talking about. Once the Kickstarter is successful they will go for publishing dollars from publishers and ask for donations on their main website ala Star Citizen.

Brad and his teams have made games before, every last one of them. Two little games called Everquest 1 and 2 for example? Ever heard of those?

You are not talking about Team Joe Nobody here.

I know who is going to be creating it, and I've seen the videos and the Q&A.I love the idea, like the team that's put together to produce it, but for those two reasons I posted I'm not willing to back it just yet. They haven't given me enough information/enough reason yet to back it. All they have so far is a bunch of ideas, which sounds great on paper. I'm not trying to come off rude, and I'm certainly not lacking information on the game ideas. I've even emailed questions to them myself. Maybe they can change my mind within the days they have left to make me wanna back it. I'd really like that to be the case.

I can honestly say read the Zam interview its probably the most detailed Q&A so far along with the Q&A 4 video

http://www.zam.com/story.html?story=33718

The Repopulation and other unknown Kickstarter mmo's have ideas on paper

I can play EQ and Vanguard -right- now to see these guys ideas, and they are usually and still better than everyone else's

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by Husvik

Hey this sounds exactly how vanguard was going to be, oh yeah the game of all games to save the genre, but unfortunately the guy in charge of that lost interest, heck he didn't show up to the town hall meeting in the parking lot to lay everyone off. I'm sure with this guy at the helm that wouldn't happen.

Where does he say Pantheon is going to "the game of all games to save the genre"? What is it with dissenters of this game just pulling stuff out of thin air and/or putting words in people's mouths?

By all accounts they're decidedly not going that direction.

Yes, everyone knows the events around Sigil Games and Vanguard. However, there's also his legacy and unimpeachable record in creating and building EQ1 - which turned out to be an undeniably successful and influential game. 

If you're going to harp on the guy for where he screwed up, it's only fair to also consider where he succeeded. I know that doesn't play well to those who want to bash the game and him outright... but it's the only honest way to look at it.

/yes i'm being facetious

Doubtful, given the following paragraph...

I'm sorry with sounding negative but, i already know how this is going to end. Isn't anyone getting tired of yet another has-been coming out of the woodwork trying to milk cash on false hope by crowd funding? uggg

No, you don't know how it's going to end. No one knows how it's going to end. Not even Brad and those working on it know.  They know where they'd like it to end up. But they don't know where it will. Extreme displays of cynicism doesn't change that.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

I really hope everyone who is interested invests in the Kickstarter. This game needs to reach its goals and show the bigwigs that there is a fanbase a buying public for this game.

You are not investing anything.

You are giving some guy free money, in the hopes that some day, in the future, you get a game.

This is like pre-ordering (and hasn't that been lousy over the last few years), only worse, because there is no game yet, only a bunch of concepts. And if no gave ever ships, you do not get your money back.

Personally, I like for there to be a product, before I pay.

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

Ok burntvet, you've said your piece, now stop bashing.  If you dont want to support it then dont, other people might.  A lot of us would like to see this come to fruition and it needs all the help it can get.  If it gets made and sucks, guess what, it wont have affected you AT ALL, if it gets made and rules, its another option for you. So enough negativity

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Tibernicuspa

"And doing those quests will also be optional.  While they will usually reward the player quite handsomely upon completion, they won’t necessarily be essential to advance.  Players should be focused on adventure and exploration first. "

DEATH TO QUEST GRINDING.

agree

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by objeff

Thanks MMORPG for putting this together and thanks Brad for taking time to answer questions.

I've been waiting for a game full of challenges and adventure and I am really excited to see a game in the works that seems to hit the nail on the head. 

It is Brad McQuaid.  You are really a dreamer if you think a decent game will come of this.  Not going to happen.

Originally posted by Hrimnir

Ok burntvet, you've said your piece, now stop bashing.  If you dont want to support it then dont, other people might.  A lot of us would like to see this come to fruition and it needs all the help it can get.  If it gets made and sucks, guess what, it wont have affected you AT ALL, if it gets made and rules, its another option for you. So enough negativity

Not a single word of that is bashing in any way.

Just the plain, simple truth about any KS.

It is a pet peeve of mine when people spout off about "investing" in a KS, when it is not investing in any way, shape or form.

It is giving your money away for an unsecured promise of getting something later.

• Lambon23Lambon23 Member UncommonPosts: 66

Everquest came out of him and that was an amazing game.

Got anything else to add?

• Lambon23Lambon23 Member UncommonPosts: 66
    Originally posted by Burntvet

It is a pet peeve of mine when people spout off about "investing" in a KS, when it is not investing in any way, shape or form.

It is giving your money away for an unsecured promise of getting something later.

They are held liable you know.

If they can't provide with what they promise, you can get your money back...

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

A) I see the most important question wasn't asked: Is there still time to change the terrible name?

B) "You will see a return to having defined roles per class, and you’ll want those roles in your group. There will be healers, tanks, DPS classes, buffers, pullers and crowd control."

This reminds me of just how much I've missed the buff class... what was the last major release to have a meaningful buff class people actually cared about having in the party?  L2 and FFXI are the only things that come to mind...

Originally posted by Lambon23

They are held liable you know.

If they can't provide with what they promise, you can get your money back...

That is not so.

They only have to make a "good faith" attempt at doing what they say.

If they say, "We'll make an MMO for $5 mil...." and only get 80% done  and run out of money, and don't release, that's it.

Can't sue, money gone, game over, everything done.

That is what a lot of people do not understand.

• SlothnChunkSlothnChunk Member UncommonPosts: 788

Doubtful this game will meet it's Kickstarter goal. 

He should have asked for $200,000 for a tech demo because what they have shown looks a decade old (combined with his controversial history as a studio head).

Originally posted by SlothnChunk

He should have asked for $200,000 for a tech demo because what they have shown looks a decade old (combined with his controversial history as a studio head).

They have said that the videos shown are just placeholders

Anyway new Q&A video is up!

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• SlothnChunkSlothnChunk Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by SlothnChunk

They have said that the videos shown are just placeholders

Anyway new Q&A video is up!

I understand what a 'placeholder' is but with this guy's history as development head it should have been a smaller amount for a tech demo to show what his team can actually do.

Instead they posted a bunch of ideas/talk that will realistically cost $20+ million and years to implement.

• KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
    Originally posted by Tibernicuspa

"And doing those quests will also be optional.  While they will usually reward the player quite handsomely upon completion, they won’t necessarily be essential to advance.  Players should be focused on adventure and exploration first. "

And with that answer (as well as the answer about horizontal progression) I'm officially sold on this game.

DEATH TO QUEST GRINDING. Have you ever tried to advance in a WoW style MMO without doing quests? It's THE WORST.

And the reason I could never play WoW. I'm not a quester. This game is going to rule.

• finnmacool1finnmacool1 Member Posts: 453
    Its a shame you couldnt ask him about the steaming pos vanguard he is so proud of being shut down in july.
  • finnmacool1finnmacool1 Member Posts: 453
    Originally posted by finnmacool1
    Its a shame you couldnt ask him about the steaming pos vanguard he is so proud of being shut down in july.

I wonder if thats what he means by "quality" over quantity.

I'm looking forward to not having to depend on quests either like in Vanguard or everquest

For the cynics well I played the TESO beta and know that Vanguard was still better. And I am not interested in WoWStar. So if those are games for you well have fun. Personally I liked both games that he made. One of which was broken and still better than practically everything out right now.

*shrugs*

Besides I don't want to wait for some perfect mmorpg to arrive or some gold standard perfect staff to create an mmo. People are human, humans make mistakes and I'd rather trust someone who made something great and fell than someone who made nothing great at all.

Besides, sitting here on forums whining has got to get old. Especially when you are trying to save people from doing what they like. 

I'd rather play games, not forums.

• Syphin_BSyphin_B Member UncommonPosts: 340

This project will fall by the wayside due to it not getting the funding needed. 28 days left and it just doesnt look like it'll be possible to reach the goal.

How is anybody going to put money into something that they have nothing to show for and that alpha footage is TERRIBLE and should of never been shown.

When the guys at Grim Dawn got on Kickstarter, they done it right and had gameplay footage to go along with it.  Mark my words...this game will not get to 800k in 28 more days

• Aldous.HuxleyAldous.Huxley Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 418
    Originally posted by Drago

Mark my words...

The prophet has spoken...

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

Uhm, thats exactly what investing is. All forms of investment involve some level of risk. The return on your investment is a product that you want that nobody else is making.

Its not investment by the strict financial definition, but its absolutely investment.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• moguy2moguy2 Member Posts: 337
    How many games do you guys play that have been kickstarted? And this is slated for 2017.. Thats like........Years away yet people are already making sigs and character names.  Years away..../facepalm
  • MaricMaric Member UncommonPosts: 98
    Backing this game.  With Vanguard closing Pantheon is the only MMO on the horizon to carry the Classic  EQ torch.  I really hope the Kickstarter is successful.