Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen: Exclusive MMORPG.com Q&A with Brad McQuaid

Comments

• fantasyfreak112fantasyfreak112 Member Posts: 499

I never said he's trying to make Pantheon the same as Vangaurd. You're just going off on tangents because you've been proven false and your ego can't handle it.

What I said is he's trying to lead again, which is not at all where he should be lmao. He needs to be in the trenches like he was for most of EQ1. As he stated himself in the video he will mostly be leading others with minimal hands on design. Exactly what he did in Vanguard but i'm sure you weren't in Vangaurd beta and really have no clue what you're talking about anyways(which you've clearly demonstrated).

Anything else?

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

I really hope everyone who is interested invests in the Kickstarter. This game needs to reach its goals and show the bigwigs that there is a fanbase a buying public for this game.

Lets make sure not to just give this project lip service. Represent for those who still want challenge with your pockets!

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• fantasyfreak112fantasyfreak112 Member Posts: 499
    Originally posted by Maquiame

I really hope everyone who is interested invests in the Kickstarter. This game needs to reach its goals and show the bigwigs that there is a fanbase a buying public for this game.

Lets make sure not to just give this project lip service. Represent for those who still want challenge with your pockets!

The problem is that people aren't supporting because of Brad himself, not because they don't want an old school MMO. Unfortunatly if it fails it will be interpreted as old school MMO's deathblow.

Originally posted by fantasyfreak112

The problem is that people aren't supporting because of Brad himself, not because they don't want an old school MMO. Unfortunatly if it fails it will be interpreted as old school MMO's deathblow.

^This 

Its sad but true. Even sadder yet that many can't see the bigger picture in all of this and the fact that this will be the deathblow of this type of mmorpg if this fails.

Its not about Brad, its about the genre. And its like people act like this man killed his first born.

What bothers me more is the fact that those who have gotten their goals reached are not held to the same standards.

Warhammer? Tabula Rasa?  Vanguard is still a better game than both of these...... but yet the men leading these projects did  not have to go through this.

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• barezzbarezz Member UncommonPosts: 147

I remember when Vanguard was going to be that game that delivered a special experience to a type of player who had been neglected too.  Maybe he has learned from the past, but Brad McQuaid is going to have to prove that with more than pre launch words and dreams.

• xeniarxeniar Member UncommonPosts: 805

im liking the awnsers

As much as im opposed to the whole kickstarter concept. This might make me stray from my beliefs.

• TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199
    Originally posted by barezz

I remember when Vanguard was going to be that game that delivered a special experience to a type of player who had been neglected too.  Maybe he has learned from the past, but Brad McQuaid is going to have to prove that with more than pre launch words and dreams.

It succeeded in doing that. It was just hobbled by a ton of bugs (mostly a product of being released 8 months earlier than expected, and the crappy engine). It's the only MMO I've bought in the last 8 years.

• HanthosHanthos Member UncommonPosts: 242
    Originally posted by Tibernicuspa

It succeeded in doing that. It was just hobbled by a ton of bugs (mostly a product of being released 8 months earlier than expected, and the crappy engine). It's the only MMO I've bought in the last 8 years.

It actually has delivered a special experience. Did Brad make mistakes? Yes. And it still scares the hell out of me that he seems to be running things again. However, rather than beat him bloody, I'll give him a chance. The real neglect has always been the fact that SOE never raised a hand to fix the problems. Yes, they have kept it up. But to keep it from competing with EQ2, they never tried to fix the bugs until recently. (btw: dbl XP currently going on...) While the population is small, it is still very active and waiting for something like P:RotF to come along and be finished. It's funny that to this day, there is nothing on the market that has the depth and complexity of Vanguard. Even broken, it's a better game than most.

• TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199
    Originally posted by Hanthos
    Originally posted by Tibernicuspa

Vanguard. Even broken, it's a better game than most.

If ever there was a PERFECT tag line for an MMO, while being a statement about the current genre as a whole... this is it. And this is why I have no fear giving Brad money. Because even if Pantheon launches buggy (which I see as such a small chance, given the reigned in scope of Pantheon, and lessons learned from Vanguard and its engine), it'll STILL be a better/more exciting experience than any big budget WoW clone.

• EndoRobotoEndoRoboto Member Posts: 275
    I may increase my pledge now lol. For the doubters, many kikcstarters reach funding goals near the last days of their campaign. This one will definitely.
  • koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447
    It sounds exactly like original EQ circa 2000, which is a good thing IMO.
  • Damage99Damage99 Member UncommonPosts: 202
    If this kickstarter doesnt succeed we will never see another challenging MMO like EQ/DAOC/Ultima Online again.  If youre at all interested you had better back it on some level!
  • Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

I never said he's trying to make Pantheon the same as Vangaurd. You're just going off on tangents because you've been proven false and your ego can't handle it.

Now you're just constructing strawmen, and being dishonest.

First: You directly invoke and draw comparisons to Vanguard with this statement:

"What we really want to know is: what makes him qualified to lead another company after the Vangaurd debacle?"

You bring up Vanguard again in your next response to me.

You wonder why he should be trusted now after what happened with Vanguard. I offered you my views on it.. in the context of your question. You further challenged me on that. I further explained my point... again, in the context of you using the events around Vanguard as your comparison.

Now that I've given you my response/views on why he can and/or should be trusted this time around, despite the events around Vanguard (because the circumstances around Pantheon are very different than that around Vanguard), you're attempting to spin it around by putting words in my mouth, just so you can say "I never said that'.

Sorry. That won't fly with me.

Second: Read what I wrote again. I never claimed you were saying he was trying to make Pantheon the same as Vanguard. What I said was they are not attempting to recreate something on the scale of Vanguard with Pantheon, or with the same goals or focus. The circumstances between each project are vastly different, and so you can not make a fair comparison. 

What I said is he's trying to lead again, which is not at all where he should be lmao. He needs to be in the trenches like he was for most of EQ1. As he stated himself in the video he will mostly be leading others with minimal hands on design. Exactly what he did in Vanguard but i'm sure you weren't in Vangaurd beta and really have no clue what you're talking about anyways(which you've clearly demonstrated).

Well for one, you're wrong about the extent of McQuaid's role in EQ1 (see below). 

Not sure how it's relevant, but yes I was in the beta for Vanguard. And I bought the game and played it post-launch. But so what? Whether I played, when I played or how much I played has absolutely nothing to do with this discussion. Who's "going off on tangents" here?

The circumstances around Pantheon are not the same as they were with Vanguard. They are almost the exact opposite in many cases. They are targeting a much smaller and more specific playerbase, they are not attempting to make as huge a game, they are not trying to compete with WoW, they are not attempting to throw "everything and the kitchen sink" into it all at once, they are focusing on "quality over quantity". And on and on.

You can not use the events in Vanguard as a predictor for what will happen with Pantheon - regardless of McQuaid's role in it - because the circumstances around each are not the same.

Incidentally, you're wrong about McQuaid's role in EQ1. He began as a programmer, but was quickly promoted to Executive Producer - which means he was much more involved and had much more influence on the game's development/direction than you've claimed.

Pro-Tip: Next time you want to "school" someone on "the facts", might wanna make sure you actually know them yourself, first. Considering how accessible such information is on this newfangled thing called "the world wide web", it would have taken you a few minutes, tops, to find the correct info.

Further, he also stated (in the very same video you referred to earlier) that he would be eager to get involved with the hands-on work as well on Pantheon - to create a dungeon, etc. - if opportunity allows it. If you're going to reference a video or another source to prove someone wrong, it's best if you consider everything being said, and not just cherry-pick the parts that suit you.

Anything else?

Not unless you want to continue spinning things out of context and attempting to put words in my mouth, no.  You're off in the weeds at this point, to the point of revising (or ignoring) history, putting words in my mouth and twisting things I've said out of context. I suspect anything more from you would just be a continuation of that.. So.. no, I think I'm done.

Edit: Self-correction as it seems even I missed some details regarding the extent of his involvement with EQ1.

From his bio on their official site, relevant parts highlighted and underscored for emphasis:

He was the original producer and co-designer of EverQuest, the iconic game that helped usher in the entire MMO genre. Brad managed the development team from the project's inception until its launch. He then assumed the role of Executive Producer for the first few EverQuest expansions, still celebrated by many as some of the best content in the game's 14-year history.

So again, contrary to your claims, he was not merely "in the trenches" on EQ1. He was doing quite a lot more than that - including managing the team.

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383

" Pantheon’s focus is about exploration, adventure, and combat.  And, of course, building your character and equipping him or her with powerful items.  Our focus may be narrow right now, but we’re looking at quality not quantity when it comes to game features and mechanics. "

I like this answer a lot.  Every game that promises a lot has failed.  Streamline resources to make the core of the game exceptional, then expand from there.

That said, I would like to see a bigger focus on crafting, but then EQ's primitive system worked just fine to me.  I prefer it greatly to the WoW/Rift model.

^This 

Its sad but true. Even sadder yet that many can't see the bigger picture in all of this and the fact that this will be the deathblow of this type of mmorpg if this fails.

Its not about Brad, its about the genre. And its like people act like this man killed his first born.

What bothers me more is the fact that those who have gotten their goals reached are not held to the same standards.

Warhammer? Tabula Rasa?  Vanguard is still a better game than both of these...... but yet the men leading these projects did  not have to go through this.

Its because the big bad publishers are easy scapegoats.  Unless its SWG, then its the developers fault and not the publisher.

Also, at this point a lot of people are tired of kickstarters.  There are people that have donated to multiple MMOs now, none of which are near completion.  The kickstarter bubble for MMORPGs will burst soon.

• plat0nicplat0nic Member Posts: 301
    Originally posted by Elderknight
    Awesome, sounds like old school eq1 is coming back.

Yea, but is this a good idea?!?!?

Main Game: Eldevin (Plat0nic)
    2nd Game: Path of Exile (Platonic Hate)

• Tindale111Tindale111 Member UncommonPosts: 276
    The 2 games ive played most over the years would be EQ1 and 2 .content in an mmo is the most important thing for me ,but having said that the graphics of these games are very dated ,I know we are only seeing a pre alpha trailer and I love the idea of an old school mmo but after seeing games like ESO and final fantasy they will have to update their graphics a long way for me to get excited about pantheon
    Originally posted by plat0nic
    Originally posted by Elderknight
    Awesome, sounds like old school eq1 is coming back.

Yea, but is this a good idea?!?!?

Why wouldn't it be?  Its a pretty gigantic void in the genre now, much like PvE sandbox is.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

^This 

My reason for not backing is, it's too far away from release and the fact that they will probably come back for a second Kickstarter even if the initial Kickstarter is successful. I think when a Kickstarter is successful, they shouldn't come back begging for more money, even if it's for stretch goal stuff. If you want 2 million(example amount) from a Kickstarter, ask for it the first time, if you have stretch goals you really want in the game for release, put an amount you think you need to achieve that goal. Don't get 800k (example amount) to start the game, then a few years down the road ask for more money through another Kickstarter for stretch goals.

They should build the game they promised, release it, then go on about including more stuff to the game after release, with updates. It's dishonest to promise something then basically hold the game for ransom until more money is milked from backers to add more to the game that wasn't initially promised. Repopulation is doing this and gives me a good reason to look at upcoming mmorpg projects a bit closer before I back them.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• Cramit845Cramit845 Member UncommonPosts: 395

Well based on the Q&A, I am extremely excited for this game.  I've been looking for a return to the group based MMO's for awhile, played eq1 a couple months ago and only put it down cause end game content is turning into daily grinds and that's not my idea of fun.

I'm really looking forward to a world we can explorer and adventure in.  Would love to get back to sitting at camps killing mobs with friends.  I agree that there is a huge void in the MMO genre right now of good group based games.

I've played vanguard and put it down pretty quick cause it felt like something between eq and Wow.  No more quest hubs please and based off of the Q&A it seems they are staying away from that type of game.  I much prefer to randomly talk to NPC"s and in doing that end up finding a quest rather then first thing I do in the game is talk to a NPC with a icon over his heading denoting he has a quest that will start me off on a never ending cycle of boring quests.

As long as they can do what they say about focusing on the foundation and making the main systems completely solid then I don't mind waiting for a crafting, pvp or diplomacy systems.  Although if I had a choice I would rather see crafting or pvp implemented sooner then a diplomacy system. 

I tried it in vanguard and was not very impressed.  Otherwise this sounds like a return to eq1 type of game and I am extremely excited.  I wont get to excited though till I see some game play, but we're a ways away from that.

Originally posted by Ice-Queen

^This 

My reason for not backing is, it's too far away from release and the fact that they will probably come back for a second Kickstarter even if the initial Kickstarter is successful. I think when a Kickstarter is successful, they shouldn't come back begging for more money, even if it's for stretch goal stuff. If you want 2 million from a Kickstarter, ask for it the first time, if you have stretch goals you really want in the game for release, put an amount you think you need to achieve that goal. Don't get 800k to start the game, then a few years down the road ask for more money through another Kickstarter for stretch goals.

They should build the game they promised, release it, then go on about including more stuff to the game after release, with updates. It's dishonest to promise something then basically hold the game for ransom until more money is milked from backers to add more to the game that wasn't initially promised. Repopulation is doing this and gives me a good reason to look at upcoming mmorpg projects a bit closer before I back them.

They can't build the game at all if the Kickstart is not successful in the first place. Not to mention this Kickstarter is to show  a publisher the demand so that they are willing to invest. 

I don't get why this is hard to understand for some. Many Kickstarters return for more money due to the fact that the teams making these games are new to the industry period. While they cannot ask for a lot up front they have to break up their funding needs as development milestones. Besides would you give 800,000 dollars to some unknown? I don't know anyone who would.

You are talking about a team with over 100 years real experience in the industry here with plenty of publisher contacts. A team who have publisher numbers on speedial. This kIckstarter is just the way to go to them and say "see, we have interest, this proves it, now can you back us the rest of the way".

They are not trying to build the entire game on Kickstarter, they are trying to get it off the ground and prove to the publishers they have interest.

Brad has also stated that the stretch goals are there to A.  Make the game more focused and B. To take as much of  the role of a publisher out of the equation so that they have less influence and 3. They will be going for the stretch goals on their own website after the initial goal is reached on the Kickstarter.

Please watch the video below

Don't want to invest? Fine but this is not some team of unconnected noobs you are talking about. Once the Kickstarter is successful they will go for publishing dollars from publishers and ask for donations on their main website ala Star Citizen.

Brad and his teams have made games before, every last one of them. Two little games called Everquest 1 and 2 for example? Ever heard of those? Also made the "Even broken, Vanguard is better than pretty much everything out on the market right now" - made that too. Heard of that one?

You are not talking about Team Joe Nobody here.

• TeiraaTeiraa Member UncommonPosts: 447

Glad to see that the "Vision" is back.

No wonder they call it "visionary realms" :)

• xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854

Hey this sounds exactly how vanguard was going to be, oh yeah the game of all games to save the genre, but unfortunately the guy in charge of that lost interest, heck he didn't show up to the town hall meeting in the parking lot to lay everyone off. I'm sure with this guy at the helm that wouldn't happen.

/yes i'm being facetious

I'm sorry with sounding negative but, i already know how this is going to end. Isn't anyone getting tired of yet another has-been coming out of the woodwork trying to milk cash on false hope by crowd funding? uggg

My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by Ice-Queen

^This 

My reason for not backing is, it's too far away from release and the fact that they will probably come back for a second Kickstarter even if the initial Kickstarter is successful. I think when a Kickstarter is successful, they shouldn't come back begging for more money, even if it's for stretch goal stuff. If you want 2 million from a Kickstarter, ask for it the first time, if you have stretch goals you really want in the game for release, put an amount you think you need to achieve that goal. Don't get 800k to start the game, then a few years down the road ask for more money through another Kickstarter for stretch goals.

They can't build the game at all if the Kickstart is not successful in the first place. Not to mention this Kickstarter is to show  a publisher the demand so that they are willing to invest. 

I don't get why this is hard to understand for some. Many Kickstarters return for more money due to the fact that the teams making these games are new to the industry period. While they cannot ask for a lot up front they have to break up their funding needs as development milestones. Besides would you give 800,000 dollars to some unknown? I don't know anyone who would.

You are talking about a team with over 100 years real experience in the industry here with plenty of publisher contacts. A team who have publisher numbers on speedial. This kIckstarter is just the way to go to them and say "see, we have interest, this proves it, now can you back us the rest of the way".

They are not trying to build the entire game on Kickstarter, they are trying to get it off the ground and prove to the publishers they have interest.

Brad has also stated that the stretch goals are there to A.  Make the game more focused and B. To take as much of  the role of a publisher out of the equation so that they have less influence and 3. They will be going for the stretch goals on their own website after the initial goal is reached on the Kickstarter.

Please watch the video below

Don't want to invest? Fine but this is not some team of unconnected noobs you are talking about. Once the Kickstarter is successful they will go for publishing dollars from publishers and ask for donations on their main website ala Star Citizen.

Brad and his teams have made games before, every last one of them. Two little games called Everquest 1 and 2 for example? Ever heard of those?

You are not talking about Team Joe Nobody here.

I know who is going to be creating it, and I've seen the videos and the Q&A.I love the idea, like the team that's put together to produce it, but for those two reasons I posted I'm not willing to back it just yet. They haven't given me enough information/enough reason yet to back it. All they have so far is a bunch of ideas, which sounds great on paper. I'm not trying to come off rude, and I'm certainly not lacking information on the game ideas. I've even emailed questions to them myself. Maybe they can change my mind within the days they have left to make me wanna back it. I'd really like that to be the case.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

Originally posted by Husvik

Hey this sounds exactly how vanguard was going to be, oh yeah the game of all games to save the genre, but unfortunately the guy in charge of that lost interest, heck he didn't show up to the town hall meeting in the parking lot to lay everyone off. I'm sure with this guy at the helm that wouldn't happen.

/yes i'm being facetious

I'm sorry with sounding negative but, i already know how this is going to end. Isn't anyone getting tired of yet another has-been coming out of the woodwork trying to milk cash on false hope by crowd funding? uggg

Even broken Vanguard is still better than most mmos on the market and those upcoming

Playing in the TESO beta myself I can say that with absolute confidence

Anyway, new Q&A on Zam!

http://www.zam.com/story.html?story=33718