Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ArcheAge 1.0 - Welcome to themepark

124»

Comments

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Originally posted by Bahz

Too bad they are messing up this game, anyways ESO seems to have improved alot so there is still hope for a good MMO this year.

Did you really say this? 

Anyway i'm just going to leave this here for those looking to help an mmo that is not being made for the mass market and not trying to appeal to everyone. Want to be server famous again? Come on over and help! 25 dollars won't bankrupt anyone!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45XrbsBt34c

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1588672538/pantheon-rise-of-the-fallen/comments

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• GoldknyghtGoldknyght Member UncommonPosts: 1,519
    Originally posted by JJ82
    Originally posted by xAPOCx
    The longer time goes on, the more im realizing that mmos are just not for me anymore. even AA could not over come to need to mainstream and cowtow to the greatest common denominator, casuals. It seems yet another promising MMO has sold out and its about time that i bow out.

Grind is not for casuals. Sandbox games cater more to casuals than any other type because you are not locked into any kind of grind, can log in for 10 minutes and actually accomplish something and log back out. Adding things like dailies, grind to crafting and a heavier aspect on gear is for hardcore western players.

How do you figure? Every sandbox i ever played was a GRIND FEST! 

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Originally posted by KeksX

Yeah thats why the game dropped 8 ranks and is slowly sinking into top 30. (Rank before 1.0: 20. Now 28. Biggest jump AA made, even the F2P change wasn't t hat bad.)

Maybe Koreans want grind but they definitely don't want another themepark game.

The market is very different in Korea. The stuff AA is introducing is the type of things that Koreans actually want. 

BTW, sub games simply do not work in Korea. The vast majority of MMORPG players play from internet cafes and Korea has laws against the amount of time you sell people to have access to the game (time cards). That's why AA went free to play in the first place. 

The market is also changing in the west. People have seen "quality" games released that are b2p, freemium, or F2P and want every game to be like that unless its well established (like WoW). Even games that copied WoW and offered pretty much the same thing have been forced to go f2p to compete and stay afloat. I for one expect more games to take the Secrete World approach to f2p. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• JimyHumuHumuJimyHumuHumu Member UncommonPosts: 251
    Originally posted by Goldknyght
    Originally posted by JJ82
    Originally posted by xAPOCx
    The longer time goes on, the more im realizing that mmos are just not for me anymore. even AA could not over come to need to mainstream and cowtow to the greatest common denominator, casuals. It seems yet another promising MMO has sold out and its about time that i bow out.

Grind is not for casuals. Sandbox games cater more to casuals than any other type because you are not locked into any kind of grind, can log in for 10 minutes and actually accomplish something and log back out. Adding things like dailies, grind to crafting and a heavier aspect on gear is for hardcore western players.

How do you figure? Every sandbox i ever played was a GRIND FEST! 

only if you wanted to be THE man. i played sanboxes for ages and i never wanted to be the bestest of them all, as i played them on my own pace. There was a game where i would just login, go to some fishing spot near the bank with a few people around and we would talk or pretty much just 'waste' our time by themepark standards.

Sometimes id play for hours, exploring the world without killing anything significant (other than what attacks me while im out there exploring), which is also considered a non-productive thing because you know, youre not leveling up that way. But it was fun, and i enjoyed it. I never got to be the alpha male, nor i wanted to,  but i enjoyed every moment spent there.

• markshiumarkshiu Member Posts: 27
    Originally posted by JimyHumuHumu

only if you wanted to be THE man. i played sanboxes for ages and i never wanted to be the bestest of them all, as i played them on my own pace. There was a game where i would just login, go to some fishing spot near the bank with a few people around and we would talk or pretty much just 'waste' our time by themepark standards.

Sometimes id play for hours, exploring the world without killing anything significant (other than what attacks me while im out there exploring), which is also considered a non-productive thing because you know, youre not leveling up that way. But it was fun, and i enjoyed it. I never got to be the alpha male, nor i wanted to,  but i enjoyed every moment spent there.

This is exactly what I want to do.  Chill around, and do things as a group.

For a sandbox game, it is good to have your own goal.  Minecraft is good, because you can create something as a goal.  I would like to see if ArcheAge can do the same.  Model my own character and build my own place, more important to meet people who would like to chill, those are my goals in a sandbox.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Artificial caps on productive player activity, unless you pay more, are never a good thing.
  • markshiumarkshiu Member Posts: 27
    Originally posted by Wizardry

Cash shop is just such a horrible idea,they should be going sub that way no hidden costs,no bickering over what is acceptable.

I feel anyone wanting more FREE is just there because of the free and won't make Trion or the dev any money anyhow,so it serves no purpose to go cash shop.

They should offer a free 3 days,totally free,no restrictions,well perhaps a chat restriction,don't want people going in just to cause a ruckus in chat,that way players can get a solid feel for the game and decide if they want to sub.

Cash shop games are just going to create tons of RMT that is cash shop outside the game.RMT won't stop,even if banned they will just make another free player.So you will have an economy ruined by outside the game and cash shop inside the game also causing problems,it is a lose lose.

IMO if a game can't hold a subscription,then you really do not have loyal players,i would just not enter that market at all.If not accepted,then make changes so that a sub fee can be maintained,look at the millions Square  Enix put back into FFXIV to get players to accept it.T simply give up and go cash shop is not good business,it is like admitting defeat.GW2 shoudl never be looked at because their goal was to make a game cheap enough they could profit just from the box sales,i don't want a cheap game.

PS. All those changes really look like they are aiming at cash shop,that is another reason there should be no cash shop,that way nobody is skeptical and changes are for the good of all not the cash shop.Of course we have to wait and see but it sure looks like there will be tons of stuff to buy on cash shop to speed up all those grinds.

The one that really caught my eye as being lame was the buying of rank,,seriously lame.

I prefer a cashshop or VIP system.  And I really hate FFXIV model with their lack of option being a paid user.

I understand there is no successful cashshop model, but It is also depends on the execution and creativeness of the business unit (rather than just greed for short term).

If you prefer a subscription based, a VIP system would be exactly the same, except some people are non-VIP.  And games like this requires massive player base, thus, a free to play system to ensure events can be random enough would be essential.

I believe ArcheAge is a little different.  If there are more customized building, and those can turn into cosmetic items.

• docminus2docminus2 Member UncommonPosts: 184
    Originally posted by Informer80

http://archeagesource.com/topic/2481-real-talk-10-and-the-true-westernization-of-archeage/

well, whatever they are doing, most likely they are getting nervous not to reach the western market in time considering this year's expected sandbox alternatives.... for better or worse...

--------------------------------------------
    Youtube newb:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96N3cxBuqKTPV2BQNlzGUw

• KeksXKeksX Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Originally posted by xpiher

Yeah thats why the game dropped 8 ranks and is slowly sinking into top 30. (Rank before 1.0: 20. Now 28. Biggest jump AA made, even the F2P change wasn't t hat bad.)

The market is very different in Korea. The stuff AA is introducing is the type of things that Koreans actually want. 

BTW, sub games simply do not work in Korea. The vast majority of MMORPG players play from internet cafes and Korea has laws against the amount of time you sell people to have access to the game (time cards). That's why AA went free to play in the first place. 

The market is also changing in the west. People have seen "quality" games released that are b2p, freemium, or F2P and want every game to be like that unless its well established (like WoW). Even games that copied WoW and offered pretty much the same thing have been forced to go f2p to compete and stay afloat. I for one expect more games to take the Secrete World approach to f2p. 

If that stuff is what Koreans want then tell me why the top MMORPGs in Korea are the exact opposites and games like Lineage 2 got a massive amount of players after ArcheAge dropped. The business model thing is another story, I agree, but I'm talking gameplay mechanics here.

Let me just repeat this one more time: 1.0 introduced the REQUIREMENT(!!) to run instances daily. All their new content is focused around (instanced) PvE and the Cash Shop. PvP hasn't gotten any update in the past months.

This is clearly designed to attract the themepark players. If thats what you want, go ahead.

@docominus2:

If anything they are pulling out of the sandbox market and try to make their game a "better themepark" now because that what it is now.

Honestly, who cares about the whole building mechanic when you have to spend 2.5hrs a day(minimum) grinding dailies and the only meaningful PvP happens every 3 weeks? OpenPvP will be all about camping ports with NPC guards. YAY!

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310

If that stuff is what Koreans want then tell me why the top MMORPGs in Korea are the exact opposites and games like Lineage 2 got a massive amount of players after ArcheAge dropped. The business model thing is another story, I agree, but I'm talking gameplay mechanics here.

Let me just repeat this one more time: 1.0 introduced the REQUIREMENT(!!) to run instances daily. All their new content is focused around (instanced) PvE and the Cash Shop. PvP hasn't gotten any update in the past months.

This is clearly designed to attract the themepark players. If thats what you want, go ahead.

@docominus2:

If anything they are pulling out of the sandbox market and try to make their game a "better themepark" now because that what it is now.

Honestly, who cares about the whole building mechanic when you have to spend 2.5hrs a day(minimum) grinding dailies and the only meaningful PvP happens every 3 weeks? OpenPvP will be all about camping ports with NPC guards. YAY!

I'm just telling you what a lot of Koreans told me (I live there ATM). 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

@docominus2:

I'm just telling you what a lot of Koreans told me (I live there ATM). 

Well I'm just looking at the statistics and they tell me that Koreans, or at least the ones that still played the game, did not want these kind of changes or at least not all of them.

• SuperNickSuperNick Member UncommonPosts: 460
    It bombed hard in Asia, of course they have to try something different.
    Originally posted by SuperNick
    It bombed hard in Asia, of course they have to try something different.

Context is king. ArcheAge started in the top 5(top 3 even?) and was happily living in the top 10 - until it Jake Song left and it went F2P.

• ShortyBibleShortyBible Member UncommonPosts: 409

After checking out the link in the OP, it seems like a fansite that went rogue :)

I will say that it had the most information concerning AA that is available to date.

If I am wrong link me to another English site please.

Wouldn't say Rogue, ArcheAgeSource was just there from the beginning.

If you look closely, you will see that people on there started playing in CBT2 which is years ago, and they've seen the changes made to the game. With every change that was introduced the game slowly went from what they were promised to what they are gonna get due to XLGames wanting to cater to the masses.

People, like me, were really patient, but there's a limit to what you can do to a game until you lose the last bit of "original fanbase" you had. For me, personally, 1.0 as it is right now is over this limit.

• LisaFlexy22LisaFlexy22 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    Originally posted by ShortyBible

After checking out the link in the OP, it seems like a fansite that went rogue :)

I will say that it had the most information concerning AA that is available to date.

If I am wrong link me to another English site please.

The 1.0 changes are pretty well known, it's not like 1 site is just making that stuff up.  Not sure if that's what you're implying maybe I'm not reading your post right.

This discussion has been closed.