Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Am I the only one missing turned-based combat?

Dekarx12Dekarx12 Member UncommonPosts: 380

I feel like I'm the only one left in the world that's missing turned-based Combat... E.g. the early FF games up til 10... not so much like FF tactics.

I played Atlantica Online for ages cause it has the Combat i crave... Am i just falling Behind the Times? of missing random battles... and exploring the game... i got so drawn into the games i looked forward to them... these days everyone wants Shineys right away and things given to them on a platter... and no Grind what so ever so they get bored of it in 2-3 months... that to me just seems silly... i recently picked up Bravely Default for the 3ds.. and loving it

Its got turned based combat, random battles and a tweack in the combat system anyway

Anyone else feeling the same?

P.s id love to see another kinda game like atlantic online... but up to today's standards of graphics etc

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    It's not big in the west, so a new turn-based MMO would have to either a) target the non-MMOer (ex: KingsIsle games) or b) come from the East and be ported over. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Turn-based combat is my favorite. Hence why I love Xcom and trying that new game Blackguards.

So no, you're not the only one. :)

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    I love a good turn based strategy game like panzer general or tactical games like xcom. I can't say I'd really want to play a turn based mmo. Even old school games like ultima where fun but as soon as you add another person into the mix...I don't want to wait for my turn.
  • MavolenceMavolence Member UncommonPosts: 635
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    I love a good turn based strategy game like panzer general or tactical games like xcom. I can't say I'd really want to play a turn based mmo. Even old school games like ultima where fun but as soon as you add another person into the mix...I don't want to wait for my turn.

Exactly how i feel. I really really love Turn based games as well. Love them the most out of any single player experience for sure. I do not want them in an MMORPG though whatsoever

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    *wince*  I can't stand old final fantasy and pokemon-style combat, they're just antiquated and simplistic.  But I like turn-based combat if it's tactical (like Disgaea or Dofus) or CCG (card collecting and deck building like MTG).
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004

I love Atlantica Online. 

The problem is the power creep is so large.  And I kind of get suck in to spend massive money on the cash shop.

If not for the cash shop, i'd still play it.

^ and comment to the post above.  like you said, there are turnbased mmorpg that are more strategic.  Atlantica online is another example.

• mayankingmayanking Member UncommonPosts: 162
    I hope for a mmo to come out west with a combat system like ff10,breath of fire turn based.. I think it would do pretty good and considering it would make great Pvp and much more fun then this WOW stuff we get
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100

Wasn't DAoC turn based ?

Chamber of Chains
  • SirPKsAlotSirPKsAlot Member Posts: 224
    I never, ever liked turn-based combat. I'd play a boardgame if I wanted to wait my turn to make a move.

Currently playing: Eldevin Online as a Deadly Assassin

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by cheyane

Wasn't DAoC turn based ?

Absolutely not.

And No, I don't missed turn based.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• phantomghostphantomghost Member UncommonPosts: 738
    I don't prefer turn based combat but it was fun in games like FF7 and Fallout 1 and 2 (for computer) before they took away turn based for the most part and made it a console game.

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    I've been playing Wartune a lot and i'm loving the turn based combat. Reminds me of the old school arcade games.
  • WindamereWindamere Member UncommonPosts: 75
    Originally posted by Dekarx12

I feel like I'm the only one left in the world that's missing turned-based Combat... E.g. the early FF games up til 10... not so much like FF tactics.

I played Atlantica Online for ages cause it has the Combat i crave... Am i just falling Behind the Times? of missing random battles... and exploring the game... i got so drawn into the games i looked forward to them... these days everyone wants Shineys right away and things given to them on a platter... and no Grind what so ever so they get bored of it in 2-3 months... that to me just seems silly... i recently picked up Bravely Default for the 3ds.. and loving it

Its got turned based combat, random battles and a tweack in the combat system anyway

P.s id love to see another kinda game like atlantic online... but up to today's standards of graphics etc

Seriously!! Like why would you ever even think this is fun?!?

"Vladimir Putin: Okay i'm launching missiles now!"

"Barrack Obama: Wait a second it's still my turn!!"

Get real no such combat ever existed anywhere! so why was it even in MMO's?

• ScypherothScypheroth Member Posts: 264

turn bases games were the best games of all...the along came the freaking mmo and killed it off....now everyone one and there mother wants the lazy ass open world bullshit bla bla bla....if i wanted freaking open world i would play a mmo! I miss the good old days of classic Final Fantasy RPS's and Fallout 1, 2 and tactics....

I had a old person come into work today and go on a rant of how the current and next generation of kids/ppl have things way to easy in life. I have to agree with him...everything is handed to them on a golden platter served with a diamond spoon....

Then again im old school....i fought getting a cell phone till just last year....everythign was much simpler and better back in the 90's.....

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by Windamere

Really? But logic like, "OMG! I've been shot! I'll just hide behind this box for a second and it'll be all better. There! Good to go!" is somehow better? 

At least with the majority of turn-based games, you don't get to regenerate your health. You heal yourself or you die. In addition, fights can be randomized in such a way that you're not quite sure what you're getting yourself into, meaning strategies may vary. 

However, I think it's much more a single-player, strategic experience than something that can be easily replicated in an MMO. Atlantica Online was fun for a while, but I couldn't really get into it. Forget about MMOs, though, I'd really just like to see a worthy current generation turn-based single player rpg. If you've never made a sandwich in the middle of the most intense fight of your life, you haven't lived!

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• funyahnsfunyahns Member Posts: 315

Games are games.  Civilization 4 is a lot more complicated and difficult to win in then a lot of the RTS games.  Oh and calling realism is not that good of an idea when the genre we are talking about is one man armies destroying entire battalions of enemies with ease.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Had you simply said "I don't like it," your post would have been far more sane than what you ended up with out of some need to justify your dislike for it. 

It's clear you don't understand how turn-based games work, but I'm going to let that slide if you show me how to get to your world where wars are fought by phoenix-like immortals that hurl icebolts and wield weapons sometimes twice their size. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    Atlantica Online is actually a really fun game. Haven't seen many others out there like it though. At least as far as MMOs go.
  • xaritscinxaritscin Member UncommonPosts: 350
    Dofus and Wakfu from Ankama games, they're both turn based, you should check them out.
  • geelgeel Member UncommonPosts: 93

I like turn based as well :) Wakfu is pretty nice. 

I definitely woulnd't mind some sort of turn based mmo but not a turn based classical mmorpg. Something akin to path of exile with turn based co-op combat sounds like a blast :D

• LyrianLyrian Member UncommonPosts: 412

Turn based strategy I think is the best when paired with 4x games. Where I can show off my planning and 'intellect' in creating a situation where I can be as close to perfect as possible. Real Time Strategy just feels like a big panic to me.

I feel pairing turn based combat with RPG games, such final fantasy makes the game feel primitive to me. The content pausing to get into a battle, lining everything up, turns, everything. Just feels old fashioned and blah. I rather have direct, non turn based control in those sort of games.

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198

Do I miss turn based games where every step invisible monsters attack?  No.  Do I miss turn based where tons of wandering mobs get in my path to put me in constant pointless combat? No.

Turn based combat needs to be tactical and timely. Don't like feeling trapped in combat windows my whole play session.  

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Originally posted by Scypheroth

turn bases games were the best games of all...the along came the freaking mmo and killed it off....now everyone one and there mother wants the lazy ass open world bullshit bla bla bla....if i wanted freaking open world i would play a mmo! I miss the good old days of classic Final Fantasy RPS's and Fallout 1, 2 and tactics....

I had a old person come into work today and go on a rant of how the current and next generation of kids/ppl have things way to easy in life. I have to agree with him...everything is handed to them on a golden platter served with a diamond spoon....

Then again im old school....i fought getting a cell phone till just last year....everythign was much simpler and better back in the 90's.....

I grew up in the turn based era (started my serious gaming with Dragon Warrior for the NES when it first came out (I was 8 at the time), so I really grew up in the Golden Era of the RPGs. You could buy a squaresoft game based on that name alone and know it was going to be a classic.

Honestly, I don't feel that turn based is inherently better or that open world is any worse. They both have their place in gaming. My honest theory as to why games seem to be getting easier to two fold.

1) Art assets cost more now than they did back in the day. When everything was 2D and sprites, creating a world was a bit easier. There wasn't a level of detail in the game like there is now. There wasn't the option for individual blades of grass to animate separately, nor was there the lighting effects of today. The focus of those games was story and gameplay. Which is what made those games so awesome. They couldn't hang on graphics (much the same way summer blockbusters hang on special effects), which is also why so many of the old bubblegum movies are still classics, because at least the story and acting were a bit better than the bubblegum movies of today.

2) Too much thought about gaming goes into how to milk the most amount of cash at the lowest cost. Far too much is suppressed in order to try and sell it later. Stories that would usually take 40 hours in the past now take 10-15 hours, with another 10 hours per DLC to make for a 60 hour experience when all the DLC missions are out. The difference now is that instead of everything coming with a $40-50 price tag, it's $60 then another $5-20 per DLC pack. Things seem easier to obtain in games, because developers need to keep people hooked in order to milk more cash.

The biggest difference between then and today, is that back then games were made by D&D nerds. They turned D&D style campaigns into great games with interesting mechanics and great stories. Now, games are made by college educated people who follow specific formulas for "success", even though that success is only monetary and not necessarily because the game is an instant classic. 

To the OP:

I miss turned based games, and will play them from time to time. However, unless the mechanics support the combat style (controlling multiple characters, needing to use strategy among your small army to succeed, etc. I'd gladly play another turn based rpg, but not a mmo. 

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    Originally posted by Nevulus

Turn-based combat is my favorite. Hence why I love Xcom and trying that new game Blackguards.

So no, you're not the only one. :)

I concur. I think the closest thing to a turn based MMO that I have played was FFXI and it wasn't really a true turn base but the combat was slow enough that it felt like it. As far as tactical/strategy games i prefer turn based to RTS by a landslide. Shining Force and FF tactics were my classic favorites and I wish they would do more like them.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    I miss turn based combat.