Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is SWToR Doing Right?

15678911»

Comments

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I don't know about anyone else, but I am satisfied with the answers people gave for what SWToR is doing right.  Given the number of people who have been playing over the last three years, SWToR's revenue and player numbers could not be some kind of fluke.  Nor can they be explained simply by the game being a Star Wars game or through EA's advertising.

Again, not a fan of the game, blah, blah, blah, but if someone asked me what reasons there are for trying SWToR out, I could refer to this thread and get a decent list.

On the topic of people who don't like SWToR and feel the need to express their opinions in this thread, this was not unexpected.  Indeed, it has helped to bring up and eliminate some of the poorer arguments against the game being a "good" game.  So, argue away if you must, I will not judge or try to stop you.  I feel certain I've done the same thing recently myself.  Just remember to try and have some fun with it, and if nothing else read up on some debate techniques to take the "high ground" and learn something new.  :-)

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• bobdole1979bobdole1979 Member Posts: 210
    Originally posted by simplius
    Originally posted by Dewguy79
    Originally posted by superniceguy
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    Originally posted by superniceguy

The Doctors no doubt did quit on good terms, but if the game did not tank, then they would not have quit, no one quits when your work is a success, and bringing in the moolah. Subs in SWTOR dropped so fast in the first year, that they had to dismiss loads staff and made the game F2P. SWTOR was in development a long time and no doubt the pressure of it all got to them, and when the game did not live up to expectations, they no doubt decided that it was time for a change and do something else.  Had SWTOR been a success they most certainly would have stayed, and basked in more of their glory with yet another masterpiece.

They didn't need more money. They probably quit because they went from running the show to working for EA. Not many people can give up a company that everyone loves and be happy working for a company so many hate. 

True, but I bet more than anything it was down to all the gripes from the game plus ME3 with its ending too.

I bet if the subs went up instead of down, and the majority of people were saying "This game is awesome" to them then they would have been proud and wanted to stay and do more. BW chose to work for EA, as they thought that with EAs backing they would be able to produce much better games, and if SWTOR did well then their plan would have been achieved, but in the end they were not getting the success they had when they were running the show, and so decided to move on to other things.

First SNG I would like to say you really are not that bad compared to the ESO haters on this site. 

See the issue is not the developers it's the angry entitled gamer.  They are the ones ruining video games they are the problem.  

As this link spells out.  

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/games-discussion-1000000/the-angry-entitled-gamer-30922693/

and, what job would those devs have , without the angry gamers? none? or the same, but for a smaller salary?

if a business is in trouble, the last thing you want to do, is to piss off the CUSTOMERS

are you really saying that devleopers wouldn't have a job with out angry gamers?  You have to be kidding me. 

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198

and, what job would those devs have , without the angry gamers? none? or the same, but for a smaller salary?

if a business is in trouble, the last thing you want to do, is to piss off the CUSTOMERS 

Actually, the last thing you want to do is make decisions that lead to making less money.  Making decisions that only "piss off" the perpetually angry so-called gamer who probably wasn't going to play your game anyway?  Not really a big deal.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by lizardbones

I don't know about anyone else, but I am satisfied with the answers people gave for what SWToR is doing right.  Given the number of people who have been playing over the last three years, SWToR's revenue and player numbers could not be some kind of fluke.  Nor can they be explained simply by the game being a Star Wars game or through EA's advertising.

Again, not a fan of the game, blah, blah, blah, but if someone asked me what reasons there are for trying SWToR out, I could refer to this thread and get a decent list.

On the topic of people who don't like SWToR and feel the need to express their opinions in this thread, this was not unexpected.  Indeed, it has helped to bring up and eliminate some of the poorer arguments against the game being a "good" game.  So, argue away if you must, I will not judge or try to stop you.  I feel certain I've done the same thing recently myself.  Just remember to try and have some fun with it, and if nothing else read up on some debate techniques to take the "high ground" and learn something new.  :-)

3 years? A bit over 2 years you mean, or are you including beta's?

Also, if you're satisfied with the reasons people gave for what SWTOR is doing right, could you possibly summarize what you're so happy with? Starting from page one:  Puling them in, It's Star Wars, nothing, It's Star Wars, class stories (2x), Star Wars, Star Wars, stories, Star Wars, ....

I'd guess you're happy that people understood that BW was really into stories and pretty good at it too. It's just the MMO-part that wasn't really their thing from the get go. I hope they're still working on that. Or it's the fact that they have a hugely popular IP to slap onto the game.

But please summarize all the things that SWTOR is undeniably doing right. Maybe I'm reading this thread all wrong, or my attention span is too short for this, but it seems to be a pretty short list, or doesn' it? 

imageimage
  • Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Originally posted by ktanner3
    Originally posted by Octagon7711
    It's hard to tell how many players SWTOR really has.  I wonder how many people have created multiple accounts in order to play additional characters.  I have four.

They must be playing a LOT of characters because on a sub account you get about twelve per server.

Subscribers get 12 character slots, but actually you can get 22 characters per sever, character unlocks run on GTN for ~ 250K, so you don't need CC to unlock them.

I doubt that anybody has a need for more than one account.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Originally posted by JoeyMMO

Also, if you're satisfied with the reasons people gave for what SWTOR is doing right, could you possibly summarize what you're so happy with? Starting from page one:  Puling them in, It's Star Wars, nothing, It's Star Wars, class stories (2x), Star Wars, Star Wars, stories, Star Wars, ....

I'd guess you're happy that people understood that BW was really into stories and pretty good at it too. It's just the MMO-part that wasn't really their thing from the get go. I hope they're still working on that. Or it's the fact that they have a hugely popular IP to slap onto the game.

But please summarize all the things that SWTOR is undeniably doing right. Maybe I'm reading this thread all wrong, or my attention span is too short for this, but it seems to be a pretty short list, or doesn' it? 

Most games only have a short list of things they do right.  The thing that separates the popular from the unpopular is whether they do the things they do right well enough to make up for those they don't.  Most MMORPGs fail at the RPG.  Hard.  Is TOR sub-par at the MMO elements?  That's a fair view to take, and probably accurate.  But it finally did the RPG part well, and that aspect of their approach would be good for other themepark games to emulate in the future.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

Originally posted by JoeyMMO

I've included a short list of things in my OP.  Other people have listed a more comprehensive list of things throughout the thread.  If you really are interested in knowing what people see in SWToR, then it's all right here in this thread.  If, on the other hand, it's your intent to discredit what these people are saying or to argue about the validity of SWToR's success or quality, then I have nothing for you.  There are plenty of other people interested in arguing over this topic, so I'm sure you'll be able to satisfy your need to argue about the game, if that is what you're after.

Also, SWToR released late Dec. 2011, so it has only been a little over two years.  However, even shortening the time frame to two years, there aren't any other MMORPGs aside from WoW or FFXI that have maintained subscribers at the half million mark for two years.

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134
    Originally posted by CazNeerg

Actually, the last thing you want to do is make decisions that lead to making less money.  Making decisions that only "piss off" the perpetually angry so-called gamer who probably wasn't going to play your game anyway?  Not really a big deal.

if he isnt playing the game then he isnt really a gamer. from the devs perspective

and , he isnt a customer, either, so..whats your point?

angry gamers get angry for a reason. you might disagree with him, but its still his wallet..or his moms

• skyline385skyline385 Member Posts: 564
    Originally posted by CazNeerg

if he isnt playing the game then he isnt really a gamer. from the devs perspective

and , he isnt a customer, either, so..whats your point?

angry gamers get angry for a reason. you might disagree with him, but its still his wallet..or his moms

His point was that devs have no issues ignoring the people who play the game for 30 mins and then come on the forums with their expert opinions. Devs always focus on people who actually play the game and support it while enjoying it themselves. I completely agree with him and pissing off an angry minority is way better if it keeps your loyal customers happy. Kicking the angry and disrespecting ones also helps the in-game community as well so it's a double gain.

• EhliyaEhliya Member UncommonPosts: 223

There are movies that didn't do big box office on release, but aged well into classics.  I suspect SWTOR will be like that.

The class stories are mentioned by everyone.  But its more than that.  It is the loving care and detail on lots of aspects of the world. 

SWTOR will leave a much larger footprint on game design than people suspect.  How will people be able to go back to plain soundless text after they have experienced professional voice acting for all NPCs?  

SWTOR has too many shortcomings to call it a classic - yet.  But the game is still relatively young and if they put some effort into its future direction, it may well be.

• mrrshann618mrrshann618 Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Originally posted by Ehliya

There are movies that didn't do big box office on release, but aged well into classics.  I suspect SWTOR will be like that.

The class stories are mentioned by everyone.  But its more than that.  It is the loving care and detail on lots of aspects of the world. 

SWTOR will leave a much larger footprint on game design than people suspect.  How will people be able to go back to plain soundless text after they have experienced professional voice acting for all NPCs?  

SWTOR has too many shortcomings to call it a classic - yet.  But the game is still relatively young and if they put some effort into its future direction, it may well be.

I've tried going back to many of my older games. This is exactly what has made me simply walk away again.

I got into  MMORPs because they had one thing in their tag...RPG. Running around grinding mobs is no different than playing and old game like diablo imho. SWTOR pulled the rpg kicking and screaming back into the computer world. Why do I Like SWTOR above all else? story, until another game comes along to pull me into the story world again this is what I'll support

Play what you Like. I like SWOTR, Have a referral to get you going!
    -->  http://www.swtor.com/r/nBndbs  <--
    Several Unlocks and a few days game time to make the F2P considerably easier
  • jimbobfurleyjimbobfurley Member UncommonPosts: 104
    Originally posted by mrrshann618

I've tried going back to many of my older games. This is exactly what has made me simply walk away again.

I got into  MMORPs because they had one thing in their tag...RPG. Running around grinding mobs is no different than playing and old game like diablo imho. SWTOR pulled the rpg kicking and screaming back into the computer world. Why do I Like SWTOR above all else? story, until another game comes along to pull me into the story world again this is what I'll support

Agreed.  The only other MMORPG on the market in the same league as SWTOR in terms of quality of story is The Secret World.

Originally posted by jimbobfurley

Agreed.  The only other MMORPG on the market in the same league as SWTOR in terms of quality of story is The Secret World.

TSW is the inverse of SWToR for me.  It's a game I really like, and which I would compliment if anyone asked, but which had very few players or financial success.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    The latest roadmap news is another thing TOR does right. It's nice to see constant updates and new things being added to a game that you sub to.So much for that false charge of TOR being in maintenence mode.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

I picked up TSW in the bargain bin at a local store for $6, played it for 10 minutes and haven't launched it since then, I'll probably play it again on a rainy day.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

I can easily go back because the old MMOs still have not lost their charm, and cut scenes do nothing to enhance them.

SWTOR is not all that special, as you can get the same experience from many single player games, but as it is a MMO just makes it less immersive

What they need to do, is try and make the game world come alive instead of be in a cut scene (EQN is looking to achieve this). None of the NPCs in SWTOR talk at all, it just all in the cut scenes, when the characters are in a cut scene they are no longer a NPC. LOTRO does it well and is a start, you interact and move with the NPCs in game, and the same is for STO, with SWTOR the cut scenes do it for you, and then when it all ends it just goes back to how you saw it before the cut scene. Ecven cut scenes in STO annoys me.

In SWG when you interacted with other NPCs, they (and yourself) performed body motions, but did not have voice over. Using a cut scene is cheating.

Cut scenes are great for game like Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Batman Arkham Asylum/City/Origins, Tomb Raider etc but for MMOs not so much. They are great when playing solo, but in a group they are not so great as I can not enjoy them as do not want to hold others up, or others just skip through and moan about the delay, and for a MMO that defeats its purpose. It is enjoyable though when playing with like minded people, but that is rare.

GTA 5 / GTA online type of games are far better than SWTOR for story and multiplayer action.

Originally posted by jimbobfurley
    There are movies that didn't do big box office on release, but aged well into classics.  I suspect SWTOR will be like that. The class stories are mentioned by everyone.  But its more than that.  It is the loving care and detail on lots of aspects of the world.  SWTOR will leave a much larger footprint on game design than people suspect.  How will people be able to go back to plain soundless text after they have experienced professional voice acting for all NPCs?   SWTOR has too many shortcomings to call it a classic - yet.  But the game is still relatively young and if they put some effort into its future direction, it may well be.

TSW is the inverse of SWToR for me.  It's a game I really like, and which I would compliment if anyone asked, but which had very few players or financial success.

It's too bad what's going on with Funcom because TSW has a good storyline running through it with challenging puzzles and a more complex profession system and vibrant world than TOR does.

The latest roadmap news is another thing TOR does right. It's nice to see constant updates and new things being added to a game that you sub to.So much for that false charge of TOR being in maintenence mode.

Someone posted that the game is in maintenance mode in a thread about the roadmap news.    I just don't think reality intrudes on some peoples' inner landscapes.

Someone posted that the game is in maintenance mode in a thread about the roadmap news.    I just don't think reality intrudes on some peoples' inner landscapes.

Someone posted similiar to that effect in this very thread even though it had nothing to do with the topic. He was as wrong then as he always is because he keeps assuming that he speaks for everyone else.

• EaderbrecaEaderbreca MMORPG.com StreamerMember Posts: 44
    What really got me into Star Wars was the story line. It's lacking in other MMOs I've played. Gives quite an enjoyment.

(¯`v?¯) Sophie Breca (?.•?¯`•?.•*?¯`•*
    `*.?.*? Streamer at MMORPG.com
    (\__/)?.•?.•* DAoC PC Staff?)?.•*?)
    (="."=) (?.•? twitter.com/SophieBreca (?.•?
    (")_(")youtube.com/user/sophiebreca
    facebook.com/user/eaderbreca