Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why we need Pantheon and Brad creating an MMO - The dungeons

ElmberryElmberry Member UncommonPosts: 195

One thing which was great in EQ was the dungeons. They were really epic. No game have ever come close to those of EQ ! They were really complex and could be really dangerous to adventure in if you were not careful. I really miss that time and hope Brad and company will do something similar with Pantheon as I feel that their team are the only ones in near future which can create a world to live in and a great MMO. That's why I pledged the other day. Below you can see a dungeon called Guk which is one of my favourite dungeons.

Dungeon Guk from EQ:

Upper Guk: http://www.allakabor.com/eqatlas/uppergukmap.html

Lower Guk Live side: http://www.allakabor.com/eqatlas/lguklivemap.html

Lower Guk Dead side: http://www.allakabor.com/eqatlas/lgukdeadmap.html

Comments

• EQBallzzEQBallzz Member UncommonPosts: 229

/agree

The dungeon system in EQ alone surpasses what many modern MMOs offer as "end game" content. 

Guk was awesome and scary but my favorites were Chardok and Seb. It was awesome how the difficulty of the dungeons got harder and harder the deeper you went. People soloing near the entrance and grouping farther in and then the jugs and Trakanon deep inside the dungeon. With the open world design and all these named mobs and camps and raid targets you really never knew what was going to happen in there. The essence of that exciting dungeon experience has been completely lost in modern MMOs.

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    One thing also to note, the guy who developed the dungeons in EQ1 is also on the dev team for Pantheon.
    --------------------------------------------
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    That ability to die always made things more challenging. The fact that you have to be retarded or born with no thumbs to die in an mmo now days makes "challenging" something you just don't really see anymore.
  • EQBallzzEQBallzz Member UncommonPosts: 229
    Originally posted by Wellspring
    One thing also to note, the guy who developed the dungeons in EQ1 is also on the dev team for Pantheon.

Yep. It gives me a glimmer of hope for Pantheon even though that Kickstarter is pretty underwhelming.

• TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199

My issues with the Kickstarter so far have been... Brad seems way too eager to use instancing to tell a focused story, rather than having the story take part in the world. I had hoped that a return to oldschool would mean designing the game so instances weren't needed and high end linear raid content wasn't the only thing to do, but this seems to just be repeating EQ, including the flaws of EQ (which got carried to WoW).

Also, there's been a distinct lack of talks on a death penalty, and there's supposed to be an in game mini map. Two huge turn offs for me.

All that being said, the dungeons in Vanguard were the best I ever experienced. If Pantheon is going to be a more focused game, making several really great dungeons rather than a thousand (Vanguard) where the quality varies... well, I'm excited.

I just hope Brad keeps this a virtual world, and tries everything to keep the lore out in the world, rather than just create a hub world, that continuously adds on raids and dungeons.

I guess my only other complaint would be... the writing seems VERY amature at the moment. The dark knight description uses the word "dark" how many times? It's playing it very safe and familiar using all the D&D high fantasy tropes. I guess that's just what Brad has always liked, but I hoped for something a bit more subtle and creative.

And with all that said, I'm still tossing in 45 bucks, because I got Vanguard for a STEAL of a price at 2 bucks on ebay, and that game deserved way more. If this is even a little like Vanguard... well...

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    Originally posted by Tibernicuspa

My issues with the Kickstarter so far have been... Brad seems way too eager to use instancing to tell a focused story, rather than having the story take part in the world. I had hoped that a return to oldschool would mean designing the game so instances weren't needed and high end linear raid content wasn't the only thing to do, but this seems to just be repeating EQ, including the flaws of EQ (which got carried to WoW).

Also, there's been a distinct lack of talks on a death penalty, and there's supposed to be an in game mini map. Two huge turn offs for me.

All that being said, the dungeons in Vanguard were the best I ever experienced. If Pantheon is going to be a more focused game, making several really great dungeons rather than a thousand (Vanguard) where the quality varies... well, I'm excited.

I just hope Brad keeps this a virtual world, and tries everything to keep the lore out in the world, rather than just create a hub world, that continuously adds on raids and dungeons.

I guess my only other complaint would be... the writing seems VERY amature at the moment. The dark knight description uses the word "dark" how many times? It's playing it very safe and familiar using all the D&D high fantasy tropes. I guess that's just what Brad has always liked, but I hoped for something a bit more subtle and creative.

And with all that said, I'm still tossing in 45 bucks, because I got Vanguard for a STEAL of a price at 2 bucks on ebay, and that game deserved way more. If this is even a little like Vanguard... well...

Agreed. All very valid points. I too am awaiting more information on instancing, the death penalty, and the minimap.

Nothing kills community and the massively multiplayer part of a MMO  like instances. I hope it's kept to a bare minimum, and not like in SWTOR where for every class quest you had to walk through a green doorway (indicating an instance).

--------------------------------------------
  • Cramit845Cramit845 Member UncommonPosts: 395

I must admit, I don't know much about this game, which seems to be the norm, it just got on my radar.  I am really looking forward to this game just because of what I hope is going to be a more group camping type game.  The open world sounds amazing and I agree it is what is really needed. 

I agree that I hope they stay away from the instancing.  In all honesty I hope this is a more targeted MMO.  What I mean by that is that it is geared towards a certain type of player and from the current description I think it fits the bill pretty well.  Group based game, social interaction, I think there are some things that are some what standard in MMO's these days that they're not going to get away from like the minimap but in all honesty the closer they get to the eq feel the better IMHO.

Of course what you hope a game to be and what it actually becomes are 2 completely different  things, but we will have to wait and see.  I plan to put in my contribution ASAP.

• RogoshRogosh Member UncommonPosts: 208
    The game has alot of potential more so than eso or wildstar combined. The problem is the execution of the kickstater currently, all it takes is looking at the info other kickstarters are giving and you will see what I mean.

"Its better to look ugly and win than pretty and lose"

• BuccaneerBuccaneer Member UncommonPosts: 654

Just a heads up regarding instances. Brad stated this over on Rerolled which eases my fears regarding too many instances.

Originally posted by Aradune

It's not a slippery slope with us. I hate a lot of instancing, I don't care for games that have a lot of instancing. I've rarely seen it done right, but when it is done right (sparingly) it can be a really cool way to tell a story. I'm talking 90/10 here, or maybe even 95/5.

http://www.rerolled.org/showthread.php?3460-Pantheon-Rise-of-the-Fallen&p=541324#post541324

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by Elmberry

One thing which was great in EQ was the dungeons. They were really epic. No game have ever come close to those of EQ ! They were really complex and could be really dangerous to adventure in if you were not careful. I really miss that time and hope Brad and company will do something similar with Pantheon as I feel that their team are the only ones in near future which can create a world to live in and a great MMO. That's why I pledged the other day. Below you can see a dungeon called Guk which is one of my favourite dungeons.

Dungeon Guk from EQ:

Upper Guk: http://www.allakabor.com/eqatlas/uppergukmap.html

Lower Guk Live side: http://www.allakabor.com/eqatlas/lguklivemap.html

Lower Guk Dead side: http://www.allakabor.com/eqatlas/lgukdeadmap.html

Just like Blackrock Spire, Upper and lower...

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Betaguy

except wow dungeons are all instanced - Guk was a public dungeon

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640

There's a new one born every day.

Originally posted by Buccaneer

Just a heads up regarding instances. Brad stated this over on Rerolled which eases my fears regarding too many instances.

Originally posted by Aradune

It's not a slippery slope with us. I hate a lot of instancing, I don't care for games that have a lot of instancing. I've rarely seen it done right, but when it is done right (sparingly) it can be a really cool way to tell a story. I'm talking 90/10 here, or maybe even 95/5.

http://www.rerolled.org/showthread.php?3460-Pantheon-Rise-of-the-Fallen&p=541324#post541324

That certainly helps but... well, let's hope he keeps control of the game. Because as soon as Silius took over Vanguard, he added in instanced raids, decreased the complexity, the death penalty, added in teleports, added bind on equipt... He's also working on THIS game too so... cautious to say the least.

Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by Betaguy

except wow dungeons are all instanced - Guk was a public dungeon

Not to mention Blackrock spire was only big enough for 5 people, and was linear. Whereas Guk could hold dozens of players and was maze like with invisible portals and all sorts of nasties.