Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Guild Wars 2: Changing What It Means to Create & Play an MMO

Comments

• zastenzasten Member Posts: 283
    I gave up on living story when Scarlet made it her mission to target me even though I was nowhere near the actual event. I consider it rather pathetic when you are not participating in an event for the actual boss to appear out of nowhere and attack a play just because they happen to be on the same map.
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Originally posted by Sandvich
    Originally posted by Soki123
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    Originally posted by MindTrigger
    Question:  If you "jump in" now for the final parts, but didn't see the previous parts, can you still go back and do the story from the beginning?  Isn't the Living Story content temporary?

You can't go back to the beginning, no, much of that content has come and gone (like a TV series for example). Some elements remain behind, but in it's entirety, no. However, you can jump in now and ride the story from this point on... this one is supposed to begin giving insight into what makes Scarlett click. 

They did put together a recap of the Story to date, however...

But i can re watch TV series when ever i like. Bad comparison.

They should release the old chapters of living story as DL content for people like me who were busy with real life and couldn't attend the story every month as well as new players who would join now and have no idea what is going on in GW2 world.

In this era of DVRs and VOD sure, you can watch reruns but that dodges the point (albeit cleverly, I'll give you that). Think of it this way... ever see Elvis or the Beatles in concert? Would you like to? The problem is no one can anymore... that content was temporary and the best we can do is see old recordings, we can't go back and relive the experience. My kids have picked up the Living Story well after Elvis and the Beatles were around, but pick it up they have and they go forward from there. 

This shouldn t be in a game, ever. Comparing this to TV is trivial IMO. Why should I not have access to everything, It was a dumb design decision IMO, as many people I know that played GW2, will not return because of that. I guess they know whats best though.

What happens in games like WoW, where you have access to, for example, Burning Crusade raids forever? The old content stagnates, dies and is never revisited again. I can imagine that some people think that's better... having all that wasted real estate simply available even though no one goes there ever again, but I for one don't. 

Simple, do what games like FFXI do, Give reasons to go back to them, not just take them away. I still think, and always will think is a dumb decision. Obviously, a lot of people do, or we wouldn t even be having this conversation.

• RadooRadoo Member UncommonPosts: 298

Living story?

Um... no! And no. What universe? When? How? No! Just no.

• TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199

This would be all interesting and well and good (and the way all MMOs should be moving forward) if there was any actual consequence or challenge to this game.

But with no death penalty, everything scaling, everything being super casual...the story has little to no meaning. AC1 did a similar thing, except they weren't scared to wipe out the major player hub city as an event, after the players failed to stop the villain.

• ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785
    Question:  If you "jump in" now for the final parts, but didn't see the previous parts, can you still go back and do the story from the beginning?  Isn't the Living Story content temporary?

You can't go back to the beginning, no, much of that content has come and gone (like a TV series for example). Some elements remain behind, but in it's entirety, no. However, you can jump in now and ride the story from this point on... this one is supposed to begin giving insight into what makes Scarlett click. 

They should release the old chapters of living story as DL content for people like me who were busy with real life and couldn't attend the story every month as well as new players who would join now and have no idea what is going on in GW2 world.

In this era of DVRs and VOD sure, you can watch reruns but that dodges the point (albeit cleverly, I'll give you that). Think of it this way... ever see Elvis or the Beatles in concert? Would you like to? The problem is no one can anymore... that content was temporary and the best we can do is see old recordings, we can't go back and relive the experience. My kids have picked up the Living Story well after Elvis and the Beatles were around, but pick it up they have and they go forward from there. 

This shouldn t be in a game, ever. Comparing this to TV is trivial IMO. Why should I not have access to everything, It was a dumb design decision IMO, as many people I know that played GW2, will not return because of that. I guess they know whats best though.

What happens in games like WoW, where you have access to, for example, Burning Crusade raids forever? The old content stagnates, dies and is never revisited again. I can imagine that some people think that's better... having all that wasted real estate simply available even though no one goes there ever again, but I for one don't. 

Wrong. They are alive much more than CoF path 1 in GW2. People farm it for transmog gear, legendary, mounts. Oh, and they added some unique pets available only in old raids. Plus, people doing it for personal or guild achievement and there are twinks guild doing old content. Far from dead and stagnate, I'm afraid.

• TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685

Hmm... comparing a VIdeogame like GW to a TV (which stands for teleVIsion) series, or comparing it to a live Elvis concert.  I wonder which comparison is likely more valid.

(Hint: It's the first one)

Seriously, why the hell would the vast majority of new people (or old people who missed it) think having content that they can never ever try be a good thing?

Even that Call of Duty comparison falls flat on its face. Yes, you can never have that exact same match up again (which is false. You actually could find those players, invite them for another game on that same map, and do it again) but at least you'll have the memory of that match up.  There's no memory for you if you've missed that content in GW.

(...again though, that's false. It is quite possible to replay good times in Call of Duty.  Unlike GW2's living story)
  • LokbergLokberg Member Posts: 315
    Originally posted by Arthasm

Wrong. They are alive much more than CoF path 1 in GW2. People farm it for transmog gear, legendary, mounts. Oh, and they added some unique pets available only in old raids. Plus, people doing it for personal or guild achievement and there are twinks guild doing old content. Far from dead and stagnate, I'm afraid.

How long ago did you play gw2 mate,  was quite afew months since people only ran cof p1.

They changed the reward system so that you  gain a daily gold each path for most dungeons more for arah the reworked twilight arbor path and 50% more for all three ascalonian catacombs path ( i guess since its reworked too and get people to run first dungeon with new blood )

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

Am I the only one that finds this infinitely depressing?

You honestly don't want an MMORPG to change over time? You want it to remain a fixed static experience that you can jump into now, last year, next year, and get exactly the same content?

Please, just go and play single-player games.

I don't want to say that GW2 is doing a perfect job of their "Living Story", but I really, really want all future MMORPG developers to be thinking "how can we make our world constantly changing?", not "oh shit, we better never make any permanent changes because people will whine."

• ZzuluZzulu Member Posts: 452

This is the reason I can never get back into GW2. If I take a break from the game it feels like I miss all the content the devs produce and I'll literally never get to play any of it!

It's such a dumb system. I have no desire to see the conclusion to this story since I have missed most of the story now and there is no way for me to experience what I have missed. I much prefer regular expansion packs to this because I can always have access to the content in those unlike in GW2 where a lot of the content is temporary...

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by Banquetto

Am I the only one that finds this infinitely depressing?

You honestly don't want an MMORPG to change over time? You want it to remain a fixed static experience that you can jump into now, last year, next year, and get exactly the same content?

Please, just go and play single-player games.

I don't want to say that GW2 is doing a perfect job of their "Living Story", but I really, really want all future MMORPG developers to be thinking "how can we make our world constantly changing?", not "oh shit, we better never make any permanent changes because people will whine."

You must get depressed very easily then.

And whats up with reading comprehension? where did i say i don't want the world to change? all i am asking is to re release the living story content so that  players who missed it can play through it, just how we play through our personal story lines.

Do me a favor , don't bother quoting me if you are not even going to read and understand properly what i am saying.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

I think that people complaining about missing out on content should be classed as a great and wonderful thing. After all, that means they are "missing" it. And those poor, unfortunate souls can either spend their time playing the current content or add to the growing list of content they missed out on. 

Having the ability to say that you were there when something monumental happens, is completely defeated if it happens every day.  If you had watched them tear down the Berlin wall , itwould have been a fantastic opportunity, but if it happened every day it would be meaningless.  I think it's great that a game would try to offer a once in a lifetime chance for something. PLEASE ANET, do not ever give in or change this.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    While I'm ambivalent about the Living Story overall, I'm really looking forward to the end of this arc. I simply can't stand Mary Sue Briar, and the sooner she's gone, the better. The only thing I actually like about the character is the voice actress (who is probably the best in the industry, even if Scarlet isn't her best work).

<3

• GregorMcgregorGregorMcgregor Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Your missing nothing; my Cat writes better stories.

No trials. No tricks. No traps. No EU-RP server. NO THANKS!

...10% Benevolence, 90% Arrogance in my case!
  • Siris23Siris23 Member UncommonPosts: 388

Hmm, watching the season finale with zero chance of seeing the episodes that lead up to it.

Yeah, I think I'll watch something else.

• Belly1974Belly1974 Member Posts: 20
    I really looked forward to this game before it came out... After a few weeks I stopped as it didn't have enough story for me... Has this changed or is it pretty much the same???
  • KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    Anet just keep at it. Keep producing living story content and keep creating this feeling that Tyria changes. Keep making events that are temporary, and improve on the permanence part. I enjoy this experience that when I log in the world is different, because certain events took place while I was away, and I like it when I see imprints of those events carved in the world.
  • kurgkurg Member Posts: 10
    I was playing GW1 for 5 years, and GW2 for 2 months.. a GW1 remake with the same skill system, with GvG, Guild halls and the same PvP system was the formula to win.
  • Uzur9Uzur9 Member UncommonPosts: 35
    Only "Living Story" stuff I took part in was when it first came out, did the first 2 parts and not much since then.   I'm sorry to say this doesn't make me want to jump into the game and I do like the game.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Some of you guys defending the Living Story actually make it sound like it accomplishes something. Major politcal events in the real world impact and forever change the real world. You don't need to come back and see it happen every day because the state of the world is constantly reflecting the changes that happened and everyone sees it wherever they are. In GW2? Meh, just wait two weeks and the world will be right back where it was at the time you stepped out. Nothing changed.

• CromicaCromica Member UncommonPosts: 657
    New stories do not help the same boring game play
  • Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Some of you guys defending the Living Story actually make it sound like it accomplishes something. Major politcal events in the real world impact and forever change the real world. You don't need to come back and see it happen every day because the state of the world is constantly reflecting the changes that happened and everyone sees it wherever they are. In GW2? Meh, just wait two weeks and the world will be right back where it was at the time you stepped out. Nothing changed.

Err... Isn't one of the main points of the Living Stories that they do leave a permanent mark on the world even when they're over?  Zones are changed, new bosses introduced, etc? It's kind of a way of gradually evolving the world over time, with players having the opportunity to "be there" as it's happening..

Of all the time I've read/heard about their influence on the world, you're the first person I've seen to describe it as you did...

Is there something I'm missing here?

Also, I'm a bit confused by all the people talking about how they can't get to experience the content while it's happening. Why? It's not a sub-based game. You own it, you just log in, play and jump in. I could understand if there was a barrier to entry, like a sub fee or something, but there isn't... So what's the problem, exactly?

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855
    Originally posted by StarlightMuse1
    I miss the original guild wars...best game ever.

it still excists :)

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    Originally posted by TangentPoint
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Err... Isn't one of the main points of the Living Stories that they do leave a permanent mark on the world even when they're over?  Zones are changed, new bosses introduced, etc? It's kind of a way of gradually evolving the world over time, with players having the opportunity to "be there" as it's happening..

Of all the time I've read/heard about their influence on the world, you're the first person I've seen to describe it as you did...

Is there something I'm missing here?

Also, I'm a bit confused by all the people talking about how they can't get to experience the content while it's happening. Why? It's not a sub-based game. You own it, you just log in, play and jump in. I could understand if there was a barrier to entry, like a sub fee or something, but there isn't... So what's the problem, exactly?

Different expectations, maybe. To name a few changed landscapes:

- Tequatl's area isn't the same as it was in vanilla

- Southsun Cove is a permanent addition to the world

- Kessex Hills look different now

- There's an instanced area in the Shiverpeaks that somehow proved that Flame and Frost happened

He must be talking about the halloween and winter events, and that Bazaar of the Four winds island that vanished after the event is over.

And finally, one barrier to entry is time. Not everyone can afford to log in for a whole living story event's window, which is usually a month.

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878

I like the gameplay. I don' t know exactly what people are talking about when they say "fix it."

What is "gameplay"? How should it be fixed?

I haven't found any bugs, so I don' t know what that complaint is about either. Any specifics?

It's not the deepest game in the world, granted. But it's a hell of a lot of fun for me. I will play GW2 and War Thunder with a little bit of SWTOR maybe TSW till ESO comes out. But for my money, GW2 is the funnest game and best value in the genre today -- not to compare it with great games of the past. That's just my experience.

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

I am still not getting the negative reactions on GW2

This game has:

- fairly good storyline (personal AND event story are not too bad imho)

- for once....a world that actualy changes......name me 3 other mmo's that have a ACTUAL changing world plz?

- classes are funn to play, how is reacting with blocks, reflect missiles and dodges in a game NOT fun? What else do you want??

- no armor/weapon sets are overpowered compared to lower lvl set.

- healthy community (alot of players).

To those talking bugs in GW2 (maybe there are a fiew but....) bitch plz!

i played the ESO beta and altough i find it a very good game......the combat is just boring compared to GW2 imho.

if there is a better game out there then GW2 at this time then PLZ enlighten me and name them plz........i dare you, hell a double dare you :p