Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Guild Wars 2: Changing What It Means to Create & Play an MMO

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

This week, Guild Wars 2 embarks on an ambitious four-part finale to a story that's been fifteen months in the works. Beginning with The Origins of Madness, players will begin to understand the strange signs and world-wide wonders they've witnessed and see what those mean for the future of Tyria. They'll also see just how serious developer ArenaNet is about changing what it means to create and play an MMO. 

Read more of Neilie Johnson's Guild Wars 2: ArenaNet - Changing What It Means to Create & Play an MMO.

How awesome is Taimi? Yeah, a LOT awesome.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

srsly? a 4 part 'living world'?...does that entails the past ones from last year.. or are they planning

on spreading the 4 throughout the year -and call it a day?...

'living story' content  has been GW2 achilles heel imo...

<.<

this all just sounds horrible- such great talent wasted.

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Lol
  • NecroneusNecroneus Member UncommonPosts: 52
    Stop making stories and improve the gameplay.
  • SandvichSandvich Member Posts: 39
    Originally posted by orbitxo

srsly? a 4 part 'living world'?...does that entails the past ones from last year.. or are they planning

on spreading the 4 throughout the year -and call it a day?...

'living story' content  has been GW2 achilles heel imo...

<.<

this all just sounds horrible- such great talent wasted.

It's a four part conclusion to the Scarlett Briar arc of the Living Story. After that will be a short break for game updates, balances, etc., then the new Living Story arc will kick off.

• BeelzebobbieBeelzebobbie Member UncommonPosts: 430
    looking forward to it
  • ThodraThodra Member UncommonPosts: 444
    Oh no....

• Lili_BirchFlowerLili_BirchFlower Member UncommonPosts: 16

From the interview:  “I think the biggest thing that gets me excited is when I go in game, and I see people talking about [the story] everywhere."

Distinction is:  are people talking positively or negatively about the story everywhere?

Problem with GW2 is not lack of talent on behalf of the devs, it is blindness to producing a game that can be played without a myriad of horrid bugs (and I'm not talking about karka) yet pumping out more and more "new" content that, while it is nice to have new story, doesn't really matter to the game.  The lore is gone, the attention to detail of the original GW2 story is gone, there is NO meaningful "personal story" because the devs are too busy catering to the hyper-ooh shiny crowds who demand moremoremmore rather than high quality.

Originally posted by Lili_BirchFlower

From the interview:  “I think the biggest thing that gets me excited is when I go in game, and I see people talking about [the story] everywhere."

Distinction is:  are people talking positively or negatively about the story everywhere?

Problem with GW2 is not lack of talent on behalf of the devs, it is blindness to producing a game that can be played without a myriad of horrid bugs (and I'm not talking about karka) yet pumping out more and more "new" content that, while it is nice to have new story, doesn't really matter to the game.  The lore is gone, the attention to detail of the original GW2 story is gone, there is NO meaningful "personal story" because the devs are too busy catering to the hyper-ooh shiny crowds who demand moremoremmore rather than high quality.

Horrid bugs? What is this "myriad of horrid bugs" of which you speak?

The Living Story actually does matter to the game. It's adding revamped and new bosses, new areas, changing existing areas, adding more permanent content as well as temporary content, etc. You sound like you don't actually play and troll from a checklist.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    The drama in GW2 forum is always amusing

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

to think i praised this game a year ago...

well, Bethesda should be thanking Anet, as they have me back playing Skyrim, awaiting ESO..

until an official announcement of a proper content  in GW2.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    I dunno I think adding in more story content can only be a positive thing but I think they also need to devote the same amount of resources and passion to adding in things that players want to play like the new skill weapon sets that were promised and some more of the dungeons. World vs World is an entirely new discussion to I wont even get into. I just would like to see them honor there word and focus as equally on class/skill combinations like promised months ago and revamped loot etc. Making the game worthwhile to play besides just achievement, log in to do your dailies etc.
  • SilveruneSilverune Member UncommonPosts: 128
    More jumping puzzles incoming ...Sigh.
  • dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005
    I'm very excited by this. I do see th small steps that Anet has done with trying to improve their story and I feel like this entire Scarlet line is a test and practiced enhancement.  The most enjoyment I have in this game, and when I decide to come back and play, is when the story puts in fun things, particuarlly fun things that happen before people start exploring and exploiting it.
  • MeltdownMeltdown Member UncommonPosts: 1,183
    GW2 had a story?

"They essentially want to say 'Correlation proves Causation' when it's just not true." - Sovrath

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967

JungleWurm will be ignored and avoided after a week because of Overflow.

Does ArenaNet actually play Guild Wars 2?  They're so oblivious to the actual realities of the game.  We'll see how this goes.

"As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Originally posted by FlyByKnight

Does ArenaNet actually play Guild Wars 2?  They're so oblivious to the actual realities of the game.  We'll see how this goes.

That's a fairly ridiculous assumption... Tequatl is killed in overflows as it is right now. I think ANet isn't the oblivious party here.

• IDontThinkSoNoIDontThinkSoNo Member UncommonPosts: 57
    Meh.
  • MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Question:  If you "jump in" now for the final parts, but didn't see the previous parts, can you still go back and do the story from the beginning?  Isn't the Living Story content temporary?

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

Originally posted by MindTrigger
    Question:  If you "jump in" now for the final parts, but didn't see the previous parts, can you still go back and do the story from the beginning?  Isn't the Living Story content temporary?

You can't go back to the beginning, no, much of that content has come and gone (like a TV series for example). Some elements remain behind, but in it's entirety, no. However, you can jump in now and ride the story from this point on... this one is supposed to begin giving insight into what makes Scarlett click. 

They did put together a recap of the Story to date, however...

• goemoegoemoe Member UncommonPosts: 272

"Throughout 2013, ArenaNet's used its Living World content to test the limits of narrative possibility."

Well, if that have been the limits of ArenaNets narrative possibility...

"to log into Guild Wars 2 and experience something that maybe you're not gonna see in another MMO anytime in the future,"

is not necessarily a good thing...

“By the time the story comes to a close, I think that we will have done something with the live storyline that very few games have ever tried to do,” Johason says. “ I think people are going to be extremely excited, not only about the storyline that we have going in our world, but where it's headed as a result of that storyline.”

When he is stil thinking this way after all the months of feedback to this game, he should seriouly stop smoking that stuff and try something else.

"But if we're smart enough to listen to people's feedback, at the end of the day we'll always be able to succeed.”

Well, here he does say the right words. It's a pity he does not even believe/understand himself anymore.

• goemoegoemoe Member UncommonPosts: 272
    Originally posted by Sandvich

That's a fairly ridiculous assumption... Tequatl is killed in overflows as it is right now. I think ANet isn't the oblivious party here.

Ah, got you. You are Colin, right? :)

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967

Which overflow? How does one join those overflows? When one is coordinating a large group of those "skilled" enough to take down Tequatl which overflow should one direct people to? Please advise.

"As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Which overflow? How does one join those overflows? When one is coordinating a large group of those "skilled" enough to take down Tequatl which overflow should one direct people to? Please advise.

Two I know of for sure are Blackgate and Jade Quarry. There's a guild, TSS I think it's called, that organizes the people in the overflows (and main maps), shares teamspeak information, etc. and does a fantastic job getting the fights done. I had a blast running with them.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by ste2000
    The drama in GW2 forum is always amusing

Would you expect anything different?

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor