Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR Cartel Market Makes 139 Million USD in 2013

http://www.superdataresearch.com/blog/us-digital-games-market/

SWTOR ranked 8th overall in additional revenues, second to only WoW in terms of western MMOs.  These numbers don't include revenue from subs.

From the article:

"Despite its chronic subscriber loss, World of Warcraft managed to generate $213 million in micro-transaction sales in 2013. Similarly, Star Wars: The Old Republic earned $139 million in additional revenues, suggesting that both titles’ change to a hybrid monetization model succeeded to stem a more drastic revenue loss."

Good news for BW and SWTOR. 

Comments

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Hhhhmmm, what about all the talk that SWTOR had been dropped from EA's earnings reports.  Surely they're making a profit on SWTOR if those numbers are anywhere close to accurate.
  • CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Originally posted by reeereee
    Hhhhmmm, what about all the talk that SWTOR had been dropped from EA's earnings reports.  Surely they're making a profit on SWTOR if those numbers are anywhere close to accurate.

Who said it was dropped from any report?

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by CazNeerg

People here who were trying to read bad things into their lack of ability to read. It was in there it just didn't come with pictures.

• neobahamut20neobahamut20 Member Posts: 336
    Originally posted by CazNeerg

Someone on the Internet.

Boycotting EA. Why? They suck, even moreso since 2008.

• neobahamut20neobahamut20 Member Posts: 336
    Originally posted by DaRoamer

SWTOR ranked 8th overall in additional revenues, second to only WoW in terms of western MMOs.  These numbers don't include revenue from subs.

From the article:

"Despite its chronic subscriber loss, World of Warcraft managed to generate $213 million in micro-transaction sales in 2013. Similarly, Star Wars: The Old Republic earned $139 million in additional revenues, suggesting that both titles’ change to a hybrid monetization model succeeded to stem a more drastic revenue loss."

Tell us about the fact that all those numbers are estimates and past estimates don't mean shit to investors.

Boycotting EA. Why? They suck, even moreso since 2008.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

does this mean they will be upgrading the engine?

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• DaRoamerDaRoamer Member Posts: 249
    Originally posted by neobahamut20

From the article:

Tell us about the fact that all those numbers are estimates and past estimates don't mean shit to investors.

About Superdata:

"Founded in 2009, SuperData is the leading provider of market intelligence on free-to-play and digital games. By collecting behavioral data directly from publishers and developers, SuperData identifies key trends, establishes revenue estimates, and analyzes market changes for popular online games, including MMOs, mobile, and social games.

SuperData publishes industry-relevant key performance indicators. Using our proprietary data set—pulled directly from publishers and developers—on 2,850,000 paying digital gamers, we establish monthly benchmarks such as ARPPU, conversion rates, lifetime value, and revenues. Customers use our data to evaluate their performance, identify key growth opportunities, assess revenue potential, optimize their efforts, and better understand their audience’s wants and needs. SuperData’s client base includes brand owners, developers, retailers, publishers, VCs, and payment service providers."

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

Interesting disclaimer on the report, WoW and SWToR are "primarily" subscription driven. That would mean that the Cartel market is less than half of the revenue. Subscriptions must have gone up with Galactic Star Fighter incoming.

Now, if they would just take some of that money and add joystick support!  

• LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,830
    Originally posted by ignore_me

Do you mean to Hero Engine 2.0?  

Originally posted by Lateris

Do you mean to Hero Engine 2.0?  

lol. I'm waiting for the SWTOR kickstarter. 200 mil goal, if reached we will add a new color for your breastplate.

Originally posted by Torvaldr

Does that separate the cartel coin purchases from the allotments? I bought 60 days worth of premium game time for $30 that comes with approximately $10 in value of cartel coins. Every premium option comes with cartel coins I think (a min of 500 per month). I wonder if and how they split that up?

Anyway, it doesn't surprise me. After I drop my sub I would likely buy some cartel coins to unlock anything I felt necessary that didn't come with "preferred status".

It's clearly labeled as revenue, Cartel coins they give out with the sub aren't revenue.  In other words they're not counting how many cartel coins were spent but rather how many coins were purchased.

• ChieftanChieftan Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

All the kiddies that said SWTOR didn't make it's money back can go home now.

The advantage SWTOR has is it's selling Star Wars memerobilia.  A tauntaun mount is going to be ridiculously more profitable than a generic fantasy weapon in GW2.  It's a brand that appeals to an older market with much more disposable income than kids who would rather spend their money on a couple meals at Taco Bell than pay a sub fee.

My youtube MMO gaming channel

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Chieftan

The advantage SWTOR has is it's selling Star Wars memerobilia.  A tauntaun mount is going to be ridiculously more profitable than a generic fantasy weapon in GW2.  It's a brand that appeals to an older market with much more disposable income than kids who would rather spend their money on a couple meals at Taco Bell than pay a sub fee.

rainbow sparkle ponies sold pretty well in wow...almost twice as well  /laugh

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    People are unbelievable.   Some wont pay a sub for a game but will dink around in parts for free, others will gladly pay more than 15 a month for stuff in a cash shop.  As long as there are people with no economic sense then F2P will do well.
    [mod edit]

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865
    Sad that a game, (WoW I point at you) that charges a monthly fee, still made $213 MILLION from micro transactions.  Makes me want to vomit.  I sure as hell hope the majority of that was from their mounts and pets which a large portion is donated to relief funds and charity funds.

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Lot of people do the paid account services....change realms, factions, etc.

Yes, because I don't like the game. What am I supposed to do, be dishonest? 

You should always be honest.  Which, in the case of TOR, would mean admitting that even though you don't personally like it, it is an extremely successful product.  It would also mean admitting you have no idea how many of the people who left TOR "went back to WoW," or even came from there in the first place for that matter.

The Force shall free me.

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995

Only it's selling pixels, not tangible items, that you can access as long as EA says you can.  I don't know if it makes me more sad that there are this many people willing to waste money in such a way or that I could never be the one to fleece people of millions in this way because I would feel terrible about myself.  Life would be so much easier with more flexible morals.

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Originally posted by killion81

Only it's selling pixels, not tangible items, that you can access as long as EA says you can.  I don't know if it makes me more sad that there are this many people willing to waste money in such a way or that I could never be the one to fleece people of millions in this way because I would feel terrible about myself.  Life would be so much easier with more flexible morals.

And the people that pay $180 a year in subs to play games are not being fleeced in the same way.  People should sue.

Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Betaguy
    Doesn't make the game any less a letdown.

For you.

It means, obviously, that it is not a letdown to a couple million others who don't share your opinion.

And for the other millions who quit and went back to WoW, etc. We can do this all day if you like.

There are approximately 7 billion people on this planet who are currently NOT playing WoW.  Clearly it's a terrible game since billions of people simply refuse to play it.

Although it fun to see the argument shift from "SWTOR flopped big time" to "yeah, well it may be a success but it still sucks".

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995
    Originally posted by Horusra

And the people that pay $180 a year in subs to play games are not being fleeced in the same way.  People should sue.

I see a lot of difference.  A set $15 per month access fee on par with other content delivery services (Netflix and cable television are probably the most prominent) vs a completely uncapped purchase of non-existent goods, often in the form of gambling boxes with unlisted odds of "winning", that can be taken away from the purchaser with no reimbursement whenever the company offering said non-existent goods feels like, per their EULA.

I understand they are both methods of monetizing online content, but in my own opinion, I feel that I am getting what I pay for with a subscription fee and being scammed with the purchase of non-existent digital goods that aren't even really mine after buying them.  Of course, people are free to hold whatever opinion they wish.

I see a lot of difference.  A set $15 per month access fee on par with other content delivery services (Netflix and cable television are probably the most prominent) vs a completely uncapped purchase of non-existent goods, often in the form of gambling boxes with unlisted odds of "winning", that can be taken away from the purchaser with no reimbursement whenever the company offering said non-existent goods feels like, per their EULA.

I understand they are both methods of monetizing online content, but in my own opinion, I feel that I am getting what I pay for with a subscription fee and being scammed with the purchase of non-existent digital goods that aren't even really mine after buying them.  Of course, people are free to hold whatever opinion they wish.

Regardless of how you feel about subscription only vs. freemium or F2P, the Netflix and cable television comparisons just don't work.  In both of those cases, you are paying a subscription for access to a wide range of content.  The only MMO company that offers more than one game for the price of a sub is SOE.

The Force shall free me.

• JJ82JJ82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

SWTOR ranked 8th overall in additional revenues....

http://www.superdataresearch.com/services

"Methodology

Data:

Q: What type of data do we have and where do we get it?

A: Every month we collect the spending data of 2,850,000 paying online gamers directly from publishers and developers, totaling 50+ publishers and 450+ game titles."

In other words, it is a bogus list worth nothing because they are basing the numbers off of a very small segment of the gaming population.

450+ games. There are how many MMOs?

This next one here makes this entire thread worthless

"Analyzing

Q: How do we analyze data?

A: We combine the digital point of sale data with qualitative consumer INSIGHTS to speak to the "why" of the market. Total monthly audience X conversion rate X Average revenue per paying customer" 

Bogus numbers boys and girls, they are taking the amount of players times the conversion rate of the shops times the AVERAGE PER PAYING CUSTOMER which blows the numbers way out of perportion. Also, guess what. BIG BUBBLE BURST COMING HERE EA themselves lists SWTOR and TWO FIFA games together in their last quarterly report as having the earnings on this chart. Not just SWTOR, all three games.

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Well, guess why ingame armour looks like shite and if you want to wear anything decent you have to buy it from cartel market?