Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dont forget Vanguard

CaldicotCaldicot Member UncommonPosts: 455
Seems he is trying the whole Vanguard thing again. What a failure that was. Why would he do better this time around?

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe. - Carl Sagan

Comments

• xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869
    Originally posted by Caldicot
    Seems he is trying the whole Vanguard thing again. What a failure that was. Why would he do better this time around?

You people need new material.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Originally posted by Caldicot

Stop beating the dead horse......... we are well aware of it.

People that pledges money to Pantheon knows the risks.

In fact the reason why the Kickstarter campaign is going slow is because of that.

I didn't pledged yet.

I need to hear/see more specific game design features and less slogans.

• ThodraThodra Member UncommonPosts: 444
    Yea I can't see how he can do it any better this time? Very very risky to put money in this project

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Why would he expect it to be different? 7 years of experience perhaps. Learning from his old mistakes?  Having a different team?  Not being on drugs?

All possible reasons.  The guy had one dud game (which actually was brilliant at its core, just terribly optimised), is he not entitled to a second chance? Have you never done any work in your entire life that was sub-par? If so, it must be nice to be perfect, oh except for your compassion and forgiveness, you need to work on that.

• BoreilBoreil Member UncommonPosts: 448

Yes lets not forget Vanguard: SoH, while it had a rough start its vision and what it is/was, is still  better than any mmorpg idea thats came out in the last 8 years,  

Don't forget that is was Jeff Butlers fault just as much or even more so than brads, Jeff wanted  wanted VG to be EQ lite/Wow 2.0, his love for WoW and need to make VG a casual game screwed the project pulling them in 2 direction which severely hurt development and led to brads ultimate squandering of time and money.

Hoorah and more power to brad and Pantheon.

• popsicledeathpopsicledeath Member Posts: 108

So, you're saying what ended up a funding, management and personal nightmare for Brad in Vanguard, still produced, at it's core, one of the best, most immersive and engaging mmorpgs in years?

Hell, if Brad can produce Vanguard while everything in his personal and professional life was burning down around him, imagine what he can do if he stays on the straight and narrow!

SIGN ME UP for Pantheon!

According to a Facebook quiz, I'm a genius.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011
    Originally posted by popsideath

So, you're saying what ended up a funding, management and personal nightmare for Brad in Vanguard, still produced, at it's core, one of the best, most immersive and engaging mmorpgs in years?

Hell, if Brad can produce Vanguard while everything in his personal and professional life was burning down around him, imagine what he can do if he stays on the straight and narrow!

SIGN ME UP for Pantheon!

I haven't pledged (yet) as I want to see more.

But I agree with you. Vanguard is one of the few games out there that I actually like!

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Originally posted by Thodra
    Yea I can't see how he can do it any better this time? Very very risky to put money in this project

These days it's "risky" to put money into any MMO, even the ones that spent 200 million!  Having a huge budget, huge team, huge publisher, etc, hasn't proven to be any less risky when it comes to getting a game worth playing.  And what will you lose, some cash?  How many games have you bought and then didn't really play because they were no good or you got bored or it wasn't your style?  The only difference is now we can pay up-front for a game we hope will be something we haven't seen in a long time that will be worth playing.  If it's not, didn't really lose much, as many people probably would have bought it anyways to try it.  Main difference being, if we don't pledge, we'll never even get to try it.  I see it as pretty much the same risk as any other game, though.

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    How can you make an old school game with all the new features of today in it?
  • cmorris975cmorris975 Member UncommonPosts: 207
    The great thing about mistakes is that you can learn from them.  I have faith that Brad is smart enough to learn from his and I put $45 down.  Plus, I like Vanguard.  And I loved early EQ!
  • UOloverUOlover Member UncommonPosts: 339
    If we are only allowed to support developers who have never had a game fail it's going to be a very small list of games we play for the rest of our lives
    Originally posted by Fearum
    How can you make an old school game with all the new feature of today in it?

By using new technology and new features to improve on the negatives of old design while finding new ways to create 'old school' philosophies and style like emergent gameplay, cooperative grouping, and traveling in an actual world instead of queueing up for all the game's content from a city ?

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011
    Originally posted by Fearum
    How can you make an old school game with all the new features of today in it?

It depends on what those new features are. Truth be told I could do without most of the new features in today's games.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Stewe79Stewe79 Member UncommonPosts: 40

Hi all

I pledged not for i loved EQ and Vanguard. (I did i played them for years and years. still logs on VG sometimes to check out stuff

Why i Pledged is because i want to belive that MMO's can exists for targeted audiances.

and i want this to successed just because if it  does it shows that mmo companies dont have to follow 

the same route as ot has for soon a decade.  

If this sucessed i can almost promis we will see more Groupe focused Games and more FFA PvP open world games out there

more crafting only games  etc etc 

This is why i pledge to this game to show that nich target is not a bad thing and isnt that what we all want choices???

So if i where you look beyond the person and start look what this could meen for the MMO Industry instead and help out change the genre instead...

So go out there now and change the Industry

Thats all over and out 

PS My spelling sucks i know but English is not my native language :)

No Signature :)

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by UOlover
    If we are only allowed to support developers who have never had a game fail it's going to be a very small list of games we play for the rest of our lives

See Richard Garriot and Mark Jacobs. And even Chris Roberts has a history of struggling to get his games out or abandoning them.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    Vanguard honestly wasn't that bad when it came out. It had major performance issues, but other than that and a few bugs, it was very well done. I think he can make it happen, but I would like to see a bit more before I back something like this. I really enjoyed Vanguard and think it worked before.
This discussion has been closed.