Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lead dev says game world larger than Skyrim, Oblivion and Morrowind combined

MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

In this interview the lead game dev Nick Konkle talks about a lot of things, and mentions that the game world is absolutely massive and bigger than the previous 3 Elder Scrolls games combined.  He also says that the map for Cyrodil is the same size as in Oblivion, not smaller at all.  When asked about freedom he also states the first few levels are more linear but it quickly opens up to freedom Elder Scrolls fans are familiar with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80mHQNA45js

Comments

• Mr.KujoMr.Kujo Member Posts: 383
    Really depends on how character relates to the world. If character is faster than in Skyrim, and you get on a even faster mount map may feel 10x smaller than in older games...
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Originally posted by Mr.Kujo
    Really depends on how character relates to the world. If character is faster than in Skyrim, and you get on a even faster mount map may feel 10x smaller than in older games...

Feels about the same speed to me. I dont know about horses though since I have yet been able to afford one.

• Eol-Eol- Member UncommonPosts: 274

well if you fast travel in Skyrim, the world starts looking a lot smaller. In ESO you cant fast travel to nearly the same extent.

As far as being linear, well, any game with overarching quests can seem linear if you just go do the quests as fast as you can. If you just head out and explore and do stuff, it wouldn't be linear at all. A lot of folks simply do the main quests in a game as fast as they can, they don't explore, they don't do side quests, and naturally the game seems linear to them and quickly they begin complaining that they 'ran out of content', when really they just bypassed much of it.

Elladan - ESO (AD)
    Camring - SWTOR (Ebon Hawk)
    Eol & Justinian - Rift (Faeblight)
    Ceol and Duri - LotRO (Landroval)
    Kili - WoW
    Eol - Lineage 2
    Camring - SWG
    Justinian (Nimue), Camring - DAoC

• SmikisSmikis Member UncommonPosts: 1,045
    Originally posted by Eol-

well if you fast travel in Skyrim, the world starts looking a lot smaller. In ESO you cant fast travel to nearly the same extent.

As far as being linear, well, any game with overarching quests can seem linear if you just go do the quests as fast as you can. If you just head out and explore and do stuff, it wouldn't be linear at all. A lot of folks simply do the main quests in a game as fast as they can, they don't explore, they don't do side quests, and naturally the game seems linear to them and quickly they begin complaining that they 'ran out of content', when really they just bypassed much of it.

if you would have seen beta forums you would feel very silly right now , your statement wrong in more than one way

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Skyrim didn't even feel that big to me really.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    Damn. Watching that guy talk gives me a nervous tic.

You stay sassy!

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Originally posted by Smikis

if you would have seen beta forums you would feel very silly right now , your statement wrong in more than one way

The only statement he made about the game is you can't fast travel to nearly the same extent - other than that it's just thoughts on mmo mechanics in general with questing which are pretty spot on.  I saw the beta forums endlessly and still not sure what you're trying to imply or in what ways he's wrong in more ways than one..... 

• BjelarBjelar Member UncommonPosts: 398
    Originally posted by Margulis

...He also says that the map for Cyrodil is the same size as in Oblivion, not smaller at all.  

That quote made me lol.

My living room is larger than Oblivion

• rmk70rmk70 Member UncommonPosts: 408
    This would only be impressive if there was minimal instancing between maps... (not breaking NDA)
  • udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

In this interview the lead game dev Nick Konkle talks about a lot of things, and mentions that the game world is absolutely massive and bigger than the previous 3 Elder Scrolls games combined.  He also says that the map for Cyrodil is the same size as in Oblivion, not smaller at all.  When asked about freedom he also states the first few levels are more linear but it quickly opens up to freedom Elder Scrolls fans are familiar with.

Well I guess it depends on how you look at it.  I'm sure ESO land masses are a lot bigger than those three games however what about all the detail?  Does ESO have hundreds of little caves to explore that have absolutely nothing to do with the main story quest?  Are you going to run into bandit caverns to clear out or a old ruin with a powerful mage going about mage business in it?

The physical world size isn't really important, it's all the details that fill it in that matters.

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677
    Originally posted by udon

Well I guess it depends on how you look at it.  I'm sure ESO land masses are a lot bigger than those three games however what about all the detail?  Does ESO have hundreds of little caves to explore that have absolutely nothing to do with the main story quest?  Are you going to run into bandit caverns to clear out or a old ruin with a powerful mage going about mage business in it?

The physical world size isn't really important, it's all the details that fill it in that matters.

Lore items and Skyshards (for skills) are scattered all over the place (note, devs have said this so not breaking NDA). You will be rewarded for exploring or you can of course just pop up a map from the Internet with the locations and run to them if you desire.  

I am not so sure what to make of your second statement. Mobs infesting caves / all areas are pretty much in every game. If there is an area there are mobs associated with that area. 

• JacxolopeJacxolope Member UncommonPosts: 1,140

Pretty much this.

When I read how much 'larger' the World of Oblivion was than Morrowind I was thrilled. Hell, after playing Morrowind for over 10 years I STILL find new things. Oblivion may technically be 'larger' but there is nothing to find and after a couple playthroughs you have seen it all.

I am no longer hyped over the 'size' they claim the game is- Even Skyrim seems much smaller than morrowind (and much bigger than Oblivion) so the land mass has less to do with things than it would initially seem.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

All these elder scrolls game worlds where relatively small compared to current day MMOs...

if they want to make animpact with size, each of the PvE zones should atleast have been the size of skyrim.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

All these elder scrolls game worlds where relatively small compared to current day MMOs...

if they want to make animpact with size, each of the PvE zones should atleast have been the size of skyrim.

Exactly... Imagine 10,000 people running around Oblivion.

What I want to see is something the size of Daggerfall. I had a buddy who actually traveled the entire map and it took like over 24 hours (cannot remember the exact amount)- THAT is massive.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by Mr.Kujo

I don't agree with this. Sounds like someone trying to dig up hate. This is like saying that the Earth shrinks as you speed up in your car. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

Originally posted by Tamanous
    Damn. Watching that guy talk gives me a nervous tic.

Glad I am not the only one. Sheesh.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Near the end, I started to get the feeling like "this place might be huge" Now if you are the pve only type, you will be missing 1/3 of the world. Plus only seeing 25% of that 2/3 until 50.

Man if they could have allowed cross alliance travel from the start... There would have to be Wpvp though, then there would have to be different server types for the vocal minority...

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by Smikis

The only statement he made about the game is you can't fast travel to nearly the same extent - other than that it's just thoughts on mmo mechanics in general with questing which are pretty spot on.  I saw the beta forums endlessly and still not sure what you're trying to imply or in what ways he's wrong in more ways than one..... 

Same, I have no idea what he is complaining about.

There Is Always Hope!

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431
    Originally posted by catlana

In this interview the lead game dev Nick Konkle talks about a lot of things, and mentions that the game world is absolutely massive and bigger than the previous 3 Elder Scrolls games combined.  He also says that the map for Cyrodil is the same size as in Oblivion, not smaller at all.  When asked about freedom he also states the first few levels are more linear but it quickly opens up to freedom Elder Scrolls fans are familiar with.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80mHQNA45js

Lore items and Skyshards (for skills) are scattered all over the place (note, devs have said this so not breaking NDA). You will be rewarded for exploring or you can of course just pop up a map from the Internet with the locations and run to them if you desire.  

I am not so sure what to make of your second statement. Mobs infesting caves / all areas are pretty much in every game. If there is an area there are mobs associated with that area. 

They have said in interviews that there are caves to find while exploring. They will be solo instances just like in the ES games. Don't know if that means solo only or with your group as well if you are in one. These will be diferent than the group dungeons and public dungeons. 

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• DeVoDeVoDeVoDeVo Member UncommonPosts: 106
    If I'm the type that avoids PVP at all costs, would my gameplay be limited to just 1/3 of the ESO world?
    Originally posted by DeVoDeVo
    If I'm the type that avoids PVP at all costs, would my gameplay be limited to just 1/3 of the ESO world?

Its my understanding that , yes- In 2/3rds of the world you could potentially be attacked.

Each faction has 1/3 of the world so you would be in "enemy" territory. What remains to be seen (for me) is if there are ways for the factions to call some type of 'truce' for certain times. Then you would potentially have more of the World open without PVP.

I also could be totally wrong here and if I am someone will correct me- But Its my understanding that you will only be "safe" from PVP in your factions area or roughly 1/3rd.

• fistormfistorm Member UncommonPosts: 868

No , you will have Adventure Zones at 50 END GAME to explore, and they will be the two zones of the other starting alliances but phaed for lvl 50 gameplay, solo, small group and raid content.  So you willh ave twice as much PVE as what you start with....   in the future I have no doubt they'll have an expansion that is a future Cyrodiil.  Not sure yet on that one though.

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583

No you will still get to see the other faction areas at level cap but with content scaled to your level. Only part you will miss out on is cyrodiil as that is in constant conflict

Originally posted by fistorm

No , you will have Adventure Zones at 50 END GAME to explore, and they will be the two zones of the other starting alliances.  So you willh ave twice as much PVE as what you start with....   in the future I have no doubt they'll have an expansion that is a future Cyrodiil.  Not sure yet on that one though.

hmmmm- cool. Thanks.

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583
    Originally posted by fistorm

No , you will have Adventure Zones at 50 END GAME to explore, and they will be the two zones of the other starting alliances but phaed for lvl 50 gameplay, solo, small group and raid content.  So you willh ave twice as much PVE as what you start with....   in the future I have no doubt they'll have an expansion that is a future Cyrodiil.  Not sure yet on that one though.

That is NOT what adventure zones are, adventure zones are end game content with areas designed for groups of 12+ people, what you are describing is what the devs call 50+ and 50++ content