Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: The Decline of MMORPGs

Comments

• JJ82JJ82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,258
    Originally posted by Frigiddeath

Long story short, it is not that MMOs have gotten more boring, but MMO players have become nothing more than a group of self-entitled whiners. 

This is true, the amount of people complaining and placing every single person into the same group "self-entitled" has increased 1000 fold over the last few years.

I don't play original side scrolling jumpers like "super Mario" for a reason, the genre grew.

I don't play original side scrolling shooters like "galaga" because the genre grew.

I don't play "GTA 1" for a reason, that genre is dead and grew into something amazing, and keeps evolving.

Know the difference between "Tomb Raider 1" and the latest? 20 years of gaming PROGRESS.

The MMO genre is stagnant and to dare claim that its players want the same thing over and over and over with no innovation is worthy of a ban inducing insult and using a Glenn Beck style "self-entitled" crap shows you to be petty, as if asking for something new from a genre of games makes a person self-entitled.........more like self AWARE and not having the HIVE MINDSET of shut up, bend over and like it.

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

• Ren4112914Ren4112914 Member Posts: 12
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Limited slip differentials exist in pretty much all cars

Off topic, but this is a grossly inaccurate statement. They typically only exist vehicles designed for high performance or off-road capability, and sometimes not even those.

• funyahnsfunyahns Member Posts: 315
     I think a ton of you are missing the point.  Just because it sells a lot does not make it good.  I don't care if McDonalds sells 100 billion burgers, they are still not that good.  Sure there are a lot of games out now, but for the most part how many of them are  really doing that well?  You can say Star Wars is profitable, but its a foolish statement to make.   You don't spend multi millions like they did in order to float along.  If they knew what was going to happen the game would have never seen the light of day.  What other games are you saying are doing so well? WoW and Eve?  The oldest games on the market.
  • mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283

Take away WoW, and maybe EVE, and the picture is vastly different. MMOs have never been mainstream, and never will be. The genre doesn't rise and fall. It just smoulders and sometimes sparks.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910
    Originally posted by Ren4112914
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Limited slip differentials exist in pretty much all cars

Off topic, but this is a grossly inaccurate statement. They typically only exist vehicles designed for high performance or off-road capability, and sometimes not even those.

I can live with being wrong about that.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• crasset15crasset15 Member UncommonPosts: 194
    Disconnect the link between questing and increasing the player's power.
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Originally posted by JJ82

Long story short, it is not that MMOs have gotten more boring, but MMO players have become nothing more than a group of self-entitled whiners. 

This is true, the amount of people complaining and placing every single person into the same group "self-entitled" has increased 1000 fold over the last few years.

I don't play original side scrolling jumpers like "super Mario" for a reason, the genre grew.

I don't play original side scrolling shooters like "galaga" because the genre grew.

I don't play "GTA 1" for a reason, that genre is dead and grew into something amazing, and keeps evolving.

Know the difference between "Tomb Raider 1" and the latest? 20 years of gaming PROGRESS.

The MMO genre is stagnant and to dare claim that its players want the same thing over and over and over with no innovation is worthy of a ban inducing insult and using a Glenn Beck style "self-entitled" crap shows you to be petty, as if asking for something new from a genre of games makes a person self-entitled.........more like self AWARE and not having the HIVE MINDSET of shut up, bend over and like it.

Oh please. The genre has expanded by leaps and bounds, and is FAR from stagnant. Games today are far more complex than they've ever been, yet people like you who clamor for something different immediately balk as soon as it shows up, nit-picking every single little thing, all while pining for the days of yore (where games were laggy, grindy, and ridiculously time-consuming).

You're a part of the hive mindset all right, just too oblivious & drunk on kool-aid to realize it. Ah well, at least wool is comfortable, eh?

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• ApovApov Member Posts: 1

The problem with mmo rpg is that every single @&;$@&;$ in the game thinks 'they' are the hero of the world. Rift tried to address this with concept of time travel. Which was pretty clever. Daoc  originally had an RvR frontier where everyone came to help defend or take relics (later of. Course that all changed).  

Wow for me is so boring. Same races, same classes. Boring, boring, boring. personally can't even go near a wow client. I'm that sick of it.

FF14ARR is in my opinion beautiful but the classes are to easy and that leads me to find them to be boring. Also the weird quirks like the map system, and scenery with invisible walls ( think rail based game) just takes pleasure out of the world.

So....I'll give eso a chance, yet I suspect it will be fun at first but will not have staying power. I'll also give Camelot unchained a look for hope that RvR will be awesome. However what I want is an expansive epic world. A vanguard without the bugs.... With RvR.

• kkarrabbasskkarrabbass Member Posts: 152
    Originally posted by Solar_Prophet

Oh please. The genre has expanded by leaps and bounds, and is FAR from stagnant. Games today are far more complex than they've ever been, yet people like you who clamor for something different immediately balk as soon as it shows up, nit-picking every single little thing, all while pining for the days of yore (where games were laggy, grindy, and ridiculously time-consuming).

You're a part of the hive mindset all right, just too oblivious & drunk on kool-aid to realize it. Ah well, at least wool is comfortable, eh?

Oh! Bravo! I’ve got your sarcasm. Sarcasm? Isn’t it?

Because to write that at old times comparing to your times “games were laggy, grindy, and ridiculously time-consuming” you should possess a great sense of humor.

I do understand, you never intended your post to be taken seriously. Bravo!

• plat0nicplat0nic Member Posts: 301
    Originally posted by mCalvert

Take away WoW, and maybe EVE, and the picture is vastly different. MMOs have never been mainstream, and never will be. The genre doesn't rise and fall. It just smoulders and sometimes sparks.

how do you define mainstream?

Main Game: Eldevin (Plat0nic)
    2nd Game: Path of Exile (Platonic Hate)

• ratata123ratata123 Member Posts: 2

I bet there will be much hate for this but the next-gen MMO was made almost a decade ago with massive semiRPG servers for the multiplayer modification of GTA games (samp etc.) - an unoficial modification which now features servers with up to 1k players (that's the most I've seen a server had so far).

Why do I concider it "next-gen"? There is a point where you get sick of the game's lore and of being the best in class - the thing you don't get sick off due to being human is - interaction with other humans. New games might introduce new combat systems, better graphics, new places to explore but for an experienced guy like probably many of you here those things don't mean rat's ass anymore - you've seen it all and there is almost nothing they can offer you in those aspects and that is why every single new MMO is failing.

SAMP (standing for San Andreas Multiplayer) offered me something none of those fancy MMOs have - concequences of interacting with other humans. A game where every single player can both kill you or give you something of great value since the only real value on most of the servers is - money (unlike justice points and gear in regular MMOs which are bound to you, money/gold being  a convenience).

The point is that those options provided much more realistic approach to interaction with other players, making a simple trade more exciting than any raid/instance in other games, due to it's realism and risks. The game had NO PVE aspect and you were always interacting with someone. The only time you were not doing that was (some) of your profession (example: a truck driver) which in most cases was driving from point A to B and due to the core game itself - driving is relaxing, unlike grinding mobs.

note:

-the mod and the game are old hence outdated graphics

-many of the servers were command dependent which made it repulsive to many players - myself included

-many of the servers featured forced roleplay due to lack of decent scripts or finding better solution - I find roleplay (pretending) to be retarded and never took part in it which sometimes resulted in getting kicked. If you like DnD and are a wannabe gangster - this is the type of server for you

additional info: 

-many of the fans thought All Points Bulletin' will replace samp with updated graphics, more options etc. It never delivered for them due to it being team deathmatch with small player cap, city and cars (last two is the only resemblence to samp servers)

-GTA5 was on good track of replacing samp but the 16 (or 12 - not sure) player cap and some other decisions removed that possibiltiy

• FrigiddeathFrigiddeath Member Posts: 8

I think we should explore by what I mean by "self-entitled whiners", but let's first look at the logic of MMOs being stagant.  Saying that MMO have not changed over the last 10 years is about as silly as it gets.  SWTOR added a more dramatic presentation to the story, Tera tried to add in action combat, Aion added in limited flying, Rift tried to add in more build diversity, Neverwinter tried to add in player made content, and I could go on and on.  Saying that the genre is stagnant proves that point that MMO players are so blinded by their own silly ideal game, that no game will ever be good enough.  Case in point, that all of the game mentioned above were pretty much put on a "F2P in 6 months" dumpster list before they ever came out.  Is anyone really shocked when a game does not do well when a large amount of the player base writes it off before even playing the game once?  Let's not even get into calling every game a "WoW clone" even when it is painfully obvious that it not. 

This goes back to my point of calling a lot of MMO players whiny and self entitled.  Asking for an improvement is fine, but complaining about every little feature was added in that you personally want is stupid.  The entire Wildstar body sliders is a great example.  Body sliders, while a cool feature, don't add anything to a game overall.  If you had the perfect character builder, but was a terrible game, you still would not play it.  However, a basic character builder with good game play is played for years.  Go look at WoW, there barely any character creation option.  In EVE online, it took how many years before they even gave you the option to create an actual human avatar?  Both games are still heavily played.  However, Wildstar not adding sliders in makes it a terrible game and no one should play it because logic.  Does not matter if they said they would look in trying to add it in post launch, something WoW has not even done in 10 years, the game must be terrible. 

ESO is in the same boat.  ESO is not a terrible game, not really something for a traditional MMO player like myself, but I don't think it is a bad game.  Yet, what have we seen for the last 6 months.  "OMG, ESO is a dumpster game and will be F2P in a year".  Remember, at this point,  barely anyone has even played the game.  Yet somehow, everyone knows it is a bad game.  At which point, players create a laundry list of terrible things about the game that they heard from some random guy on reddit.  Yep, that seems like a good way to judge a game.  Don't play it because a guy on reddit said it was dumpster.  

I doubt either Wildstar or ESO will have a perfect launch.  I am willing to bet both games have server issues, balance issues, maybe a few bugs here and there.  The difference is, I played old MMO and pretty much remember how buggy, laggy, and unresponsive they were.  Not even going to get into balance issues.  The difference is the players back then, while they did complain, did not go right to the "this game is bad and should never be considered" even before the game launched.  They did not find every reason in the world to nit pick things the second they were listened to.  "Oh, this game does have x now, well it does not have y, dumpster game".  This  is the typical response to most MMO players on forums.  Honestly, it is really annoying at this point.  I know the internet was made for people could cry about every little thing they wish they could in real life, but at this point it is making every game have to live to impossible standards. 

Like I said, I am waiting for EQ:N and Star Citizen to show anything from the game.  People will jump on them, just like every other MMO in the last 10 years.  EQ:N will be terrible for having anything in it that is like a theme park, people will complain that the smart AI is not good enough, that the game was not what was promised.  Does not actually matter that SOE never promised anything other than making a good MMO, people already have in their mind what the game HAS to be, and anything deviating from that illusionary game in their head makes it a bad game.   Star Citizen will probably get it even worse, thinking the entire that was pretty much crowd funded.  Nothing worse than listen to the crying of a fanboy than when they actually spent money on it already.  That is why I call a lot of MMO gamers, and to be honest I should say MMO forum goers, nothing but but a bunch of self-entitled whiner.  If the game is not EVERYTHING they want it to be, it is a terrible game.  No, you are simply a brat asking for more than anyone can give.  Pretty much the definition of self-entitlement.    

• oldmanlogan i'm probably one of the few who actually played gamma world here and know what you are talking about, thumbs up for your post in it's entirety
  • "I blame the move to theme park style games. This created the culture of the content locusts. My girlfriend made a point about a time when every detail in the game and how to complete everything quickly wasn't posted everywhere on the net. All the how to guides are clear evidence of this transition. She was part of one of the bigger guilds back in EQ and figuring stuff out for yourself brought pride to the group. Those days are gone. I see some of this as evidence of the decline of our culture as a whole. This need for instant gratification. Of needing to be first or get the the end as quick as possible. I have been and always will be pissed at blizzard for feeding this mentality. Sure it got them profit but it also did loads of damage to the genre and the players themselves. Constant post level cap content became expected. Read the articles these days and you always hear comments about how end game is shaping up. Why are we talking end game before the game is even released. I played wow almost upon release and never had a level cap character until recently. Some of that had to do with switching servers with friends but most was because I just took my time and experienced the world.

I ask this, if all the cool stuff and game focus is in/on end game why then have all the levels before it? If I want to just dungeon crawl, which is all end game wow had become, I'll just log into TL2, PoE, D3 or other games that have done that part better or don't pretend to be anything more than that. Vindictus stripped away all the fluff. It's fun to play cause it is what it is and it does it well.

I play MMORPGs for community. For massive multiplayer interaction. The was a game years ago called Dark Ages where you couldn't even pick you class unless you did several quests AND had a fellow player sponcer you. It was amazing. I'm exited for Archage and EQ next cause at lea to paper they bring some of that community stuff back. All this is also why we are seeing more games with perma death. Makes you care about your actions, instead of just clicking auto attack and making a sand witch."

Agree, and wish I would have played dark ages, sounds fun

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Originally posted by beel

"I blame the move to theme park style games. This created the culture of the content locusts. My girlfriend made a point about a time when every detail in the game and how to complete everything quickly wasn't posted everywhere on the net. All the how to guides are clear evidence of this transition. She was part of one of the bigger guilds back in EQ and figuring stuff out for yourself brought pride to the group. Those days are gone. I see some of this as evidence of the decline of our culture as a whole. This need for instant gratification. Of needing to be first or get the the end as quick as possible. I have been and always will be pissed at blizzard for feeding this mentality. Sure it got them profit but it also did loads of damage to the genre and the players themselves. Constant post level cap content became expected. Read the articles these days and you always hear comments about how end game is shaping up. Why are we talking end game before the game is even released. I played wow almost upon release and never had a level cap character until recently. Some of that had to do with switching servers with friends but most was because I just took my time and experienced the world.

I ask this, if all the cool stuff and game focus is in/on end game why then have all the levels before it? If I want to just dungeon crawl, which is all end game wow had become, I'll just log into TL2, PoE, D3 or other games that have done that part better or don't pretend to be anything more than that. Vindictus stripped away all the fluff. It's fun to play cause it is what it is and it does it well.

I play MMORPGs for community. For massive multiplayer interaction. The was a game years ago called Dark Ages where you couldn't even pick you class unless you did several quests AND had a fellow player sponcer you. It was amazing. I'm exited for Archage and EQ next cause at lea to paper they bring some of that community stuff back. All this is also why we are seeing more games with perma death. Makes you care about your actions, instead of just clicking auto attack and making a sand witch."

Agree, and wish I would have played dark ages, sounds fun

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1588672538/pantheon-rise-of-the-fallen

Brad "Everquest" McQuaid's new mmoRPG, I certainly hope you and your girl are investing friend!

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912

MMORPGs are only in decline if you take the myopic belief that the big budget AAA WoW clones are the only games in town. The biggest offenders here are Rift and SWTOR. These games basically had a contest to see how many WoW features they could copy. Everything from the solo friendly open world, quest hub hopping, fast travel, instances dungeons, dungeon finders, instanced PvP, raid finders, easy respecs, and then raid more instances at end game. This formula IS what is wrong with MMOs. It is stale and no mmo veterans really want to put up with it any more. However, if you look beyond the WoW clones there is a tonn of stuff going on right now.

What the doom and gloom negative naysayers don't realize is that we are actually in a golden age of MMOs. There are more variety of MMOs today than ever before and more people playing them as well. MMORPGs like Age of Wushu are truly ground breaking with the persistent characters that don't disappear when you log off. This answers the age old question of what does your character do when you log off. Only Age of Wushu answers this question in a realistic manner. Then there is Vindictus which is far more than just an action MMO. It's core gameplay is based on environmental physics which no MMO has done before or since.

The problem is not with the industry but the poor attitude of the whiny malcontents on this forum. Players who still can't get over EQ1 or other choice fill in the blank MMO are like people who never moved on after the Beetles broke up or still think Elvis is alive. Don't be that guy. People need to reexamine why they play games in the first place and then look at all the possibilities that are out there now.

• AredylAredyl Member Posts: 22

Was going to type up a nice, log post... but I have the feeling that nobody will read it.  I'm tired of the developers in the genre not being innovative enough; some simply copy/paste the hottest trend.

How about this:  why not work on features nobody else is doing?  Ever wonder why Farmer John constantly stands in the same spot, every day and night for eternity?  Why not have him go to bed sometime and another NPC takes his place?  Maybe its a rogue, needing some help robbing poor Farmer John.  Or its the guards wandering around the area looking for a thief?  Or maybe Farmer John actually fixed his vermin problem and its his brother looking to gather up the cattle?

How about that old dungeon that keeps getting ransacked by adventurers?  I'm thinking that bandit leader probably won't stick around if adventurers keep going in and killing him.  Maybe he retires, the bandits head out somewhere else and a new threat heads in.  Or it stays abandoned for a while.  Or an entrepreneur moves in and turns it into a mining town.  And that attracts some goblins...

Sorry, I just get tired of seeing the exact same thing in MMOs - raids that constantly respawn/reset with the exact same people doing the exact same things.  NPCs with the exact same movements (typically standing in one place for eternity) asking for the same help from everybody that comes along.

Seriously, how many adventurers does it take to kill a kobold? 

• SirPKsAlotSirPKsAlot Member Posts: 224

Can also be applied to MMORPGs:

"Look at the devices you have available to you and ask yourself which basic technological advancements they are built upon. Every year we get a better piece of plastic, metal and glass from China to carry around. The software that runs on this ever-improving piece of plastic is certainly better than last year's software. Something is getting better, but it is hardly revolutionary. Technological progress comes in two categories: incremental improvements and the advent of new technological primitives. "  - Andrew Weev, notorious Apple hacker.

Graphics have gotten better, game worlds (and the amount of HD space they consume) have gotten larger, but technological improvements in pure immersion? Nada, zip. Unless you want to spend $50,000 to play your MMOs in this thing:

Currently playing: Eldevin Online as a Deadly Assassin

• Ngeldu5tNgeldu5t Member UncommonPosts: 608
    Originally posted by DamonVile

I'd like to know how a genre that goes up in population and up in profit every year is in decline ? Driving towards a cliff ...maybe. But till to actually goes off that's just an opinion.

What I notice most about the genre is how much stock people put into forums. This is what everyone thinks, and everyone is somehow represented by what you read here......really ?

The market is evolving to represent what people are willing to pay for. That leaves a lot of people out. They are bored with what the genre has to offer and they are VERY vocal about it. Nothing about the actual numbers indicates they are a majority representing what " most" people want. The complaint department is full of people who are unhappy with what they bought...that doesn't mean the store is as well.

When a poll on this site has 200 votes and people can sit back saying see the evidence is in ...this is what people want! you have to wonder about someones math skills. 400 million people play " mmos" and 200 votes on a notoriously negative troll site tell you "most" people think this ?

Even if companies are making profit with MMOs this doesn't mean that MMORPG are getting better,they are getting worse year after year.It's like the music industry,mainstreaming = profits.But the other side of the coin is that you lose quality and innovation.

In the land of Predators,the lion does not fear the jackals...

• ZarkazZarkaz Member Posts: 1

Problem is, people today don't realize what MMO actually means.  Games today are missing the massively multiplayer part of the word MMO.  How can you call it massively multiplayer when more of the game is done solo than together with others?  Maybe it's time to go back to the roots, find out where MMO's mostly came from and why it is called an MMO.

Do you all recognize what im talking about here?  Everquest.  There are a few other MMO's that came out shortly after EQ with the same concepts and they were popular as hell too.  Don't you want to play a game with your good friends by yourside, accomplishing things that are actually challenging because it requires everyone to put forth an effort.  Don't you want to be rewarded for your accomplishments and actually have purpose?

Well my friends, there is something out there.  Something that is so old, lost, and amazing that it just might actually work and it's actually seems new and different because it hasn't been done sense the early 2000's.   Check Pantheon out.  I ENCOURAGE you to first watch all the video's there are before anything else!  Here is link.  http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1588672538/pantheon-rise-of-the-fallen

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

MMORPGs in decline? well if that's true then good riddance. mmos are terrible games and have always been terrible games

the only reason to play one is because of the community, other than that they are a poor excuse for a game

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

When you play mmo's like a buffet you don't invest in any of them enough to feel connected. MMO ADHD is causing boredom.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

I fail to see how following the general opinion on these forums is controversial, sorry.

Half the time I come on here I see a thread with a similar title in the little "Current forum activity" box.

That said, many recent games (not just MMO's) existed only to milk the same tried and true principles even further. However, the change in this trend is slowly but steadily underway in my opinion.

Especially with the weak start for the new console generation, the way indie is popping up everywhere (not always in a good way mind you) and the disappointments when huge costly projects didn't manage to make their exorbitant budget back are signs that the times are changing imo.

The MMO genre seems to react slower than the rest of the gaming industry, but it will follow with a different trend in building and gameplay.

Whether any new trends will please the "rosy glasses" or the "hyper-sandbox" crowd however, is another matter entirely.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

Well said.  Glad its getting a larger voice.  Some of here have been saying this for years.  I think you put it best when you said games are 'technically superior, but mechanically inferior' (or something to that effect).  

Yes MMOs today (they killed the -RPG years ago) are making more money and more popular than ever.  But it doesn't mean they are ALSO better MMORPGs.  They are not.  What does make sense is independent creativity (what I grew up on) has been replaced by corporate consumerism.  Why make a game do more if you can make A LOT of money doing the same?  When looking at it from this profit/business perspective it doesn't make sense.  Throw in marketing and (entirely overused) hype to convince the consumers that's all they want.  And I'm sorry but I believe today's gamers (younger generation) definitely have a shorter attention span than myself at that age.  Many factors including the fact I didn't grow up with an online pressence or access but still carries weight.

At this stage I think kickstarter is the only way to change it.  And I dont believe Kickstarter will take over say the Blizzard subscription base, but do believe it can build a strong, consistent, tight community that could give the game what most lack today - longevity.

• GuyClinchGuyClinch Member CommonPosts: 485

"Well said. Glad its getting a larger voice. Some of here have been saying this for years. I think you put it best when you said games are 'technically superior, but mechanically inferior' (or something to that effect)."

Isn't Ratchet and Clank the same as Mario 3D for the most part? Isn't Dragon's Age very much like Baldur's Gate II? Isn't GTA V alot like GTA 1? And so on and so forth. Complaining that MMOs just have better story, graphics, music and combat and thus are the 'same' because they didn't "innovate' is pretty ridiculous.

There isn't this endless box of innovation that they can just pull from. They can make something different but it might not be better. Just go play GW2 ..to see that in action.