Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How a MMORPG will turn out if progressions not bound with each other ?

iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256

Most MMORPGs out here use level progression as main body and other progressions like branches grow from the "level" trunk.

It pretty common and everyone accept this design.

But it give me a question.

If other progressions not branches grow from "level" trunk , but grow as separate trees How difference a MMORPG will become ?

For example:

Player can do nearly all quests at level 1 , some quests need to finish other relate quests to unlock , but player can do 90% of them as soon as they start game.

They can equip or use any things they can find at level 1

Level progression only work as one of many ways to raise player's strength (stats)

If this design apply to your currents MMORPGs , then how do you think that game's play style will become ?

Comments

• HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930

That is how Runescape was when it first started. There were no level restrictions on gear (to wield or to use). Resources did have restrictions. For instance:  If you didn't have at least 85 mining, your character was simply not a good enough miner to mine ruinite ore. He could wield a rune pick axe though. And, even at the lowest combat level wield a rune long (the best weapon in the game then). But, someone with higher combat stats in the same or similar gear as a newb would win every time. There were few restrictions on PvP as well.

And all of this...was absolute hell. The developers added in level restrictions almost immediately, because of how many people were outraged. They started tying gear requirements to combat stats as well (defense stat for worn, attack stat for wielded, and strength stat determined -in conjunction with your weapon- the power of your hit).

That first version of the game did not last long at all. If they had not changed it when they did the game would not likely be here today (12 years later).

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    It would fail.... because its people that love these game for progression and instanced rewards... It would become a niche game..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    It would fail.... because its people that love these game for progression and instanced rewards... It would become a niche game..

Agreed...And, your comment made me realize that I gave an example but didn't even attempt to explain why it worked out the way it did, lol.

• iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    Originally posted by Helleri

And all of this...was absolute hell. The developers added in level restrictions almost immediately, because of how many people were outraged. They started tying gear requirements to combat stats as well (defense stat for worn, attack stat for wielded, and strength stat determined -in conjunction with your weapon- the power of your hit).

That first version of the game did not last long at all. If they had not changed it when they did the game would not likely be here today (12 years later).

Mind to explain or tell more about what people outraged about ? I interest to hear more about the problem no bound between progressions will cause for a game , since i don't know much about Runescape .

• iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Can you explain why it would fail ? Because become niche don't mean a game will fail.

Need an example if a game without bound between progression will change in they gameplay and player's play style.

As for the love for progression of people ,

I don't mean game don't have progression , but progressions don't bound (or very little) with each other .

• AledraAledra Member Posts: 13

This reminds me of Mabinogi's system. You can pretty much equip everything at level 1, quests are not level restricted (well maybe one or two quests that were like 'reach level 30  and get a reward'). Level as a whole isn't that important as most people just rebirth (reset their level) every 3 weeks. With rebirth you don't keep the stats gained from leveling but you keep your stats gained from skills and  the 'AP' which you can upgrade your skill ranks with.

There still are quests where you need to get  a certain skill rank though. And difficulty of certain missions and dungeons is determined by your 'combat power' (basicly calculated by your ranks in skills and your stats). So yes it does change playstyle quite a bit compared to other MMORPG's but in the end there are still certain numbers that matter.

Unique indie mmorpg that would like your support:http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jeffleigh/antilia-a-majestic-3d-mmo