Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pantheon Kickstarter!

Comments

• popsicledeathpopsicledeath Member Posts: 108
    Originally posted by Thodra
    I like Brad, but what worries me is, remember what happened to Vanguard? People can only play that game now, cous another company bought it

SOE got the game playable by fixing some technical aspects and bugs.  They didn't really do any design aspects until much later, and in that they gutted the core game AFTER getting it playable.  There was a brief pocket where technical issues were ironed out and SOE hadn't WoWified the game yet where it was pretty great and most important playable enough you could see the genius of the game design.

So, what you're saying is if Visionary Realms can get some good coders and network guys on the team you think the game will be good?

According to a Facebook quiz, I'm a genius.

• Stewe79Stewe79 Member UncommonPosts: 40
    Originally posted by Xthos
    Originally posted by frograven
    Please ... another game by Brad "Fail" McQuaid. Don't get suckered by this charlatan, again  ... he'll sell this one off like he did the other ones and leave his crew to the hounds. Need I bring up Vanguard ....

Sure, if bringing up a mmo that is in my top 5 of all time, if that helps you make your case, bring it up.

Agreed in my top 5 also :)

No Signature :)

Originally posted by Crazy_Stick

Personally, I am not buying the line that private investors will cover the other expenses if they get 800K. Those are some big stretch goals and the game simply will not have the features I want in an MMO without raising at least 3.8 million dollars. It will take 6.7 million to make a really cool game out of it. If they reach 3.8 million I will buy in.

To clarify, the stretch goals are incentives to donate, not saying that goal would cost that much more over the next goal or won't be in if it doesn't reach that goal.  They've said they want all those features in the game, ideally.  And stuff like crafting will be core stuff the game is designed around.  And if they reach that goal amount, they're confident they can get crafting in, and in all the depth and complexity the community seems to want.  If they don't get to that goal, crafting may not be as deep, but they'd still want it in.

More importantly, they want to crowd fund the entire thing, so the audience of this niche can generally get what they're looking for.  They've said they don't want to have to go to a private investor, because they don't want to have to constantly fight for every design decision that will be seen as a non-gaming publisher/investor as confusing or bad (because WoW isn't doing it).

So, ideally they crowd fund the entire thing, and continue doing so on the Pantheon website after the 800k that gets the ball rolling.  And in crowd funding, they don't have outside pressure to easymode the game, and can give us what we want.  If they get the 800k and crowd funding doesn't continue to come in, they'll have to go to private investors or a publisher, and will still fight for the game they envision, but rest assured it'll be a fight and we'll probably see compromises that can be avoided if crowd funding continues.

I don't think they have an investor waiting, though.  In fact, I think they'd prefer to never have to go to anyone but the community that wants a game like this to be made.

Originally posted by Consensus
    seems like a very generic fantasy mmorpg to me, but if thats what people want then power to them. thats why crowdfunding is interesting.

Cars have wheels.  All cars are the same.  The car I have is so obscure, though, you've probably never hear of it.

• UOloverUOlover Member UncommonPosts: 339

Replace "generic" with "traditional"

We are the defenders of traditional fantasy

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by Boreil

My only disapointment so far with Pantheon is that its not a Seamless open world like Vanguard or Everquest Online Adventures was.

Easily the most overrated thing in MMORPG history.

Zoning is fine, if done the Everquest way.

Vanguard absolutely has seams by the way.  And they were very noticeable at launch on a mid range machine.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739
    Originally posted by Ginaz
    Originally posted by Xthos
    Originally posted by syriinx
    Originally posted by evolpc
    I really don't understand how crafting can potentially be added after launch if the 2.5 mill is not met. Crafting is such an integral part of any game in which it is implemented in a meaningful way. The thought of it being added post launch leads me to believe that it is not intended to have much impact on anything. Seems very fishy when you think about it. Imagine launching a game like Vanguard for instance, with no crafting. Then imagine adding in that complex crafting system and all that would effect. Seems it has to be designed from the ground up as an integral part of the game and crafting has to be taken into consideration when designing all other aspects of the game. Starting to question how well thought out this is. And wondering what their true intentions are. It just doesn't stand up when rational logic is applied.

I agree with you, but welcome to kickstarter.  they all do this with tiered crap these days.   Its nt like crafting wont be a part of the game.

I also have a feeling with this game that Brad has a plan B, and that plan B is SoE.  SoE is in no financial shape right now to commit, but after EQL and EQN release things may be different.

Theres no way he's going to fund the game with what he makes on KS.  More than likely, he'll use his KS success (and, unfortunately, it will succeed) to show to potential investors "Hey, theres still a market for MMOs where the player willing gets dick punched because its "hardcore" and "old school" so give me money!".

[mod edit]

Kind of crazy that a EQ/VG death penalty (VG's is like nothing imo), travel that isn't to everywhere, and group orientated content (you can still solo, he has said as much, but that real content is made for groups) is so foreign now.

Nice of you to post though, and hope and wish that people you don't know never get a game they are wanting...Says more about you, than anyone else.

[mod edit]

Hey, nice to see you have come around.  EQ/VG are in my top 5 mmos, so I will take that failure every day.

• archisisarchisis Member UncommonPosts: 58
    I wish them well but like others, I don't see the emphasis on groups working. There are too many factors to take into account. For instance, the time it might take to find a group and perhaps the perfect group dynamic,  real life time constraints, etc. Unfortunately, this wont be a game I would be able to play. :( :( :(

• plat0nicplat0nic Member Posts: 301
    These guys have over a month left and are already more than 15% through their goal, they are going to blow this out of the water.  So good to see, can't wait to check out what these experience mmo dev's come up with here as it's definitely look ing good

Main Game: Eldevin (Plat0nic)
    2nd Game: Path of Exile (Platonic Hate)

• JoomaJooma Member Posts: 25
    Originally posted by plat0nic
    These guys have over a month left and are already more than 15% through their goal, they are going to blow this out of the water.  So good to see, can't wait to check out what these experience mmo dev's come up with here as it's definitely look ing good

While I really hope they DO blow this out of the water, they're losing traction each day. Maybe some new info will get more people on board. I feel like their main video though is too vague. To be honest the video didn't sell me on the kickstarter. It was just the fact that Brad was making a new game.

• BuccaneerBuccaneer Member UncommonPosts: 654
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Originally posted by jons000
    Originally posted by ste2000
    Good lord.  This is starting to turn into Vanguard all over again, with the Vanboys hyping the shit out of this.  Here's hoping history repeats itself because hopefully if McQuaid crashes and burns yet again we won't hear from Vanboys/Vanboys 2.0 ever again.

I am an EQ and Vanguard fanboy and I am not hyping anything.

I haven't pledged a cent yet.

I know that giving money to McQuaid is a risk, but that's not the reason that's stopping me.

I just don't know enough about Pantheon yet, still waiting for solid info and a more detailed FAQs section on their KS page.

That is a very reasonable assessment of the kickstarter.  I hope Visionary can provide more information soon that will assuage those types of fears.  I have pledged $45 thus fa, but have not ruled out a $100 or $250 pledge if they can show something more tangible and give me the reason to do so.  Hope to see you on the donor list! Game on!

Yes, if I pledge will be over $100, that's why I want to be sure that I am not throwing my money out of the window

• CeythosCeythos Member Posts: 14
    Thanks again everyone for the continued support and feedback. Update 6, 7, and 8 went up this weekend and we have a lot more reveals and information coming this week. Be sure to check back regularly if you're not already pledged and receiving the update info ;)
  • ConvoConvo Member UncommonPosts: 160
    Originally posted by Ceythos
    Thanks again everyone for the continued support and feedback. Update 6, 7, and 8 went up this weekend and we have a lot more reveals and information coming this week. Be sure to check back regularly if you're not already pledged and receiving the update info ;)

Looking forward to the 2 class reveals.  Hopefully a wizard=p

• EadrenEadren Member UncommonPosts: 15
    Good lord.  This is starting to turn into Vanguard all over again, with the Vanboys hyping the shit out of this.  Here's hoping history repeats itself because hopefully if McQuaid crashes and burns yet again we won't hear from Vanboys/Vanboys 2.0 ever again.

I know that giving money to McQuaid is a risk, but that's not the reason that's stopping me.

I just don't know enough about Pantheon yet, still waiting for solid info and a more detailed FAQs section on their KS page.

That is a very reasonable assessment of the kickstarter.  I hope Visionary can provide more information soon that will assuage those types of fears.  I have pledged $45 thus fa, but have not ruled out a $100 or $250 pledge if they can show something more tangible and give me the reason to do so.  Hope to see you on the donor list! Game on!

Yes, if I pledge will be over $100, that's why I want to be sure that I am not throwing my money out of the window

Something else to consider is that every pledge is more than just a dollar value.  You are also adding yourself to a visible player base for investors and publishers to see.  Lets be honest here, those guys couldn't care less about finally having a game that can recapture the magic we felt in games like EQ and VG.  But they do care about numbers and if they see this "niche" project get substantial support we may see more of them begin to support this type of game again.

• CeythosCeythos Member Posts: 14
    Originally posted by Convo

I won't spill the beans on which 2 they are, but the first one is the nearest and dearest to my heart :D

Originally posted by Eadren

Something else to consider is that every pledge is more than just a dollar value.  You are also adding yourself to a visible player base for investors and publishers to see.  Lets be honest here, those guys couldn't care less about finally having a game that can recapture the magic we felt in games like EQ and VG.  But they do care about numbers and if they see this "niche" project get substantial support we may see more of them begin to support this type of game again.

You sir, nailed it!  

Originally posted by Convo

I won't spill the beans on which 2 they are, but the first one is the nearest and dearest to my heart :D

I already leaked the info you evil tank, you...

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Once they show evidence that they will be going DnD style class balance(like eq1) I will be backing. Balancing classes around PvP/recount instead of what they actually contribute as a whole destroys the core of RPG.
    Originally posted by Utinni
    Once they show evidence that they will be going DnD style class balance(like eq1) I will be backing. Balancing classes around PvP/recount instead of what they actually contribute as a whole destroys the core of RPG.

Should be class info dropping tomorrow in PC gamer. If you want to look out for it. Also, they have a whole week dedicated to classes coming.  If it helps, Brad described this game as a little VG, a little new and a lot EQ 1.

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

This is the first kickstarter I've invested in. EQ1 led to me meeting my wife and was overall a very big part of my formative social years. Despite the multiple patches that broke bards, I had to donate.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    They asking too much in the pledge. Not sure they will make it.
  • XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739
    Originally posted by ThomasN7
    They asking too much in the pledge. Not sure they will make it.

I don't think they are asking too much, but the people spreading any rumor they can find, doesn't help.  A lot of the complaints are valid, but a lot have been proven flase, but keep being repeated.

People do not need proof or facts on the internet, some people will read things that have been proven false and then take it as 100% truth, then they may keep spreading it.  So it is an extra hurdle for the kickstarter.

I donated, EQ and VG are in my top 5 mmos, yeah VG had optimization problems, but the game had a lot of depth and quality in it's systems imo.

• DashiDMVDashiDMV Member Posts: 362

IN the time it took for me to watch the intro vid and the 3 q & a vids, the pledges dropped from 188k to 179k. Anyone know what happened? I know people get the "sinking ship" mentality and do chargebacks but I wonder if there is a tier rework or something that got leaked and people are taking money out to buy new tiers. Just seemed a bit odd to have a drop like that in ~30 mins or so.

Edit: Oops now in the 178k range about 500 more down than when I started typing this.

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    I'm proud of my investment in a classic mmoRPG and I already know that I liked the gameplay in EQ and Vanguard enough to not pull my pledge

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!