Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: Five Fiction IPs We Want to See As MMOs

Comments

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Originally posted by drowelf
    Steve Jackson's Rifts/paulladeuim

Rifts is from Palladium games, which is run by Kevin Siembieda. He's too much of an egomaniac to let anything he's worked on become a mmo. Which unfortunately includes Robotech and TMNT, although I'm sure there's not exclusive rights to those franchises to Palladium Games.

I'd love to see a proper Shadowrun mmo. There's way too many awesome possibilities involved with that setting.

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
    Originally posted by Kaneth
    Originally posted by drowelf
    Steve Jackson's Rifts/paulladeuim

Rifts is from Palladium games, which is run by Kevin Siembieda. He's too much of an egomaniac to let anything he's worked on become a mmo. Which unfortunately includes Robotech and TMNT, although I'm sure there's not exclusive rights to those franchises to Palladium Games.

I'd love to see a proper Shadowrun mmo. There's way too many awesome possibilities involved with that setting.

There is a Shadowrun MMO in the works. Otherwise it would have been on the list.

• DathanKnightDathanKnight Member Posts: 16

I've never thought about it before, but a He-Man and the Masters of the Universe MMO sounds amazing.  Just logging into the game and hearing the theme song would be worth it.

Someone mentioned After the Bomb...a game based on Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Other Strangeness sounds good too--I can't help but wonder how unbalanced flight for Birds/Bats would be in an MMO environment, though.  

What about Bravestarr?  That was a show I loved as a child--cybernetic Horses and Mystical super powers?  "It's STOMPIN' time!"  Niiice

Gargoyles seems like it could be fun too.  Imagine building your character with Gargoyle features--maybe having a Day/Night cycle where your Gargoyle must be stone? 

• akiira69akiira69 Member UncommonPosts: 615
    Originally posted by Razeekster
    I want to see a Harry Potter MMO, but that probably won't happen since it takes place in present day and the only MMO that has a present day setting that I know of is The Secret World.

Mythic before it was bought out by EA was supposedly working on a Harry Potter MMO as well as a Ultima Online using a modern 3D Graphics Engine called Ultima X.

"Possibly we humans can exist without actually having to fight. But many of us have chosen to fight. For what reason? To protect something? Protect what? Ourselves? The future? If we kill people to protect ourselves and this future, then what sort of future is it, and what will we have become? There is no future for those who have died. And what of those who did the killing? Is happiness to be found in a future that is grasped with blood stained hands? Is that the truth?"

• ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669

I'm generally of the opinion that devs should be coming up with new and original IPs rather than taking a risk with existing IPs and potentially dragging them through the mud.

That said, I'd certainly play an MMO set in the Farscape universe. 

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    Originally posted by Hatefull
    The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan.  Nothing on the 'list' is a good idea imo.

I agree.   Still waiting for Wheel of Time to hit the MMO space and movies/tv like they said they would back in 2009.  Best IP ever for me next to Star Wars, Star Trek and Lord of the Rings.

• ZaqirZaqir Member UncommonPosts: 55

Transformers, and not the MMO that became a MOBA that became Vaporware last year. Get a real company with real ideas that is able to execute a real product.

He-Man

Mechwarrior in MMO form, not 5 minute meaningless matches.

GI JOE

World of Darkness?

• ZaqirZaqir Member UncommonPosts: 55
    oh and Magic the Gathering or Pokemon in MMO form
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by forcelima
    Thundarr the Barbarian!!!!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhAobPugvsk

Ok, you win. This gets my vote.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458
    Originally posted by simsalabim77
    I'd like to see The Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny be brought into an MMO. If you've never read any of his stuff, I'd highly recommend it if you enjoy SF or fantasy. 

Agree! That would be a excellent setting, it has the possibilty of basically any scenario being available and making sense so infinite possibilites for expansions/races/classes (I prefer skill based myself).

• Darknessguy64Darknessguy64 Member Posts: 233
    What? No Twilight requests!  image
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Moorcock's Stormbringer.

His Multiverse in general. But Yes the world of Stormbringer/the young kingdoms, or his Gran Breton books would be excellent.

Originally posted by Darknessguy64

wash your mouth out with soap for saying such a blashemy!

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Terminator would be freaking epic I always loved Post-Apocalyptic genre.

Others I'd consider are a Non-WoW like Lord of the Rings and a proper 3rd person Cyberpunk/Shadowrun MMO.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• TorqbowTorqbow Member Posts: 3

Honestly I would really love to see Star Wars and Conan MMOs done well, Especially Conan, I feel like the world and story could be told so well if done by a good company. 

But that isn't really the OPs topic as much as my own fantasy haha, so If I had to pick a fresh, original MMO universe maybe Mass Effect?

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Dragon Riders of Pern is something I always thought could be fun.  I have no idea how you would turn it into a MMO though with PVP being mandatory in every MMO made.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Moorcock's Stormbringer.

This.

Add in:

Larry Niven tales of known space

The morrow project/gama world

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• Arkade99Arkade99 Member RarePosts: 538
    Originally posted by forcelima

Thundarr the Barbarian!!!!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhAobPugvsk

I was gonna say that. I would love to play a Mokk.

And how has no one said Flash Gordon?

• TheMaahesTheMaahes Member Posts: 185

The Dark Tower sure, but the others nah. The Walking Dead and Game of Thrones would be easy cash-ins for companies though, players would eat that **** up like candy.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    Originally posted by Darknessguy64

I remember when vampires used to suck blood....  not ****.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

James Bond !!

Villians

Master Henchmen

Cars

Gadgets

Exotic Locations

and

Girls !!!

• LittleBootLittleBoot Member Posts: 326
    Jane Austen
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by LittleBoot
    Jane Austen

Ask and ye shall receive
    Ever Jane

• LittleBootLittleBoot Member Posts: 326
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Originally posted by LittleBoot
    Jane Austen

Ask and ye shall receive
    Ever Jane

I know, was a joke.  

• KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608
    Originally posted by alicorn

Firefly!

Browncoats forever...

I'm a leaf on the wind...

+1

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran